All you need to know about Pirate-Community

For all things related to Pirate-Community and its websites.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
R4Y_ANC3L
Bras maléfique
Tings: 500

Re: All you need to know about Pirate-Community

Post by R4Y_ANC3L »

Elite Piranha wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:22 pm I assume that some people will make an actual cake for the contest, but the design for the Birthday Cake can also be just a drawing right?
It said to design a birthday cake so I don't see why there cannot be a drawing. I really don't know.

I can't bake for sh!t though, that's for sure.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 610019

Post by Hunchman801 »

I checked with James and a drawing is fine, of course.
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa
Tings: 122710

Post by Elite Piranha »

Hunchman801 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:13 am I checked with James and a drawing is fine, of course.
Great, thanks for the confirmation :mrgreen:.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Speaking of Rayman Together, they're almost at 5000 followers, which is an impressive achievement! By all means, if you have a Twitter account and you're not following them yet, I invite you to go and support them, James is doing a great work there and it's a pleasure to see his efforts met with success. :D
CaptainBoj
Feuillu
Tings: 1615

Post by CaptainBoj »

ay is there a way to change my profile name?
Image Image Image
Blinkies in my sig are made by me
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

There is, just send PluM or myself a PM with the new username and we'll do it for you. It can only be changed once though, so choose wisely. :mrgreen:
CaptainBoj
Feuillu

Post by CaptainBoj »

Hunchman801 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:07 pm There is, just send PluM or myself a PM with the new username and we'll do it for you. It can only be changed once though, so choose wisely. :mrgreen:
Alright, i did it :mrgreen:
Image Image Image
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

That's done, mista bojjob is now CaptainBoj. :mryellow:
CaptainBoj
Feuillu

Post by CaptainBoj »

awesome, thank you so much :mryellow:
Image Image Image
CaptainBoj
Feuillu

Post by CaptainBoj »

Hey is it allowed to have non-rayman stuff in our signature?

I wanna make some more blinkies for other games that I like but wasn't sure if it was okay?
Image Image Image
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102745

Post by PluMGMK »

Sure, it's not a problem ;) Just make sure it doesn't get too crowded!
CaptainBoj
Feuillu

Post by CaptainBoj »

haha alright, thank you :mrgreen:
Image Image Image
Droolie
Mr Sax
Tings: 61830

Post by Droolie »

Was editing of older posts disabled recently? I have had someone ask me to edit an old post of theirs on the RayTunes forum, since I'm still a mod there.
I'd like to still keep the ability to edit older posts of mine as well. For example it seems I can no longer edit the OP of my old fangame thread from 2007 -- which I still want to edit in the future... even my latest posts in it from 2017 can't be edited anymore. What gives?
arnoldfranklin
Carnivora
Tings: 12665

Post by arnoldfranklin »

I would imagine it's because sometimes, people don't want their posts, and just edit them so they don't say what they originally said. I hope we get access to edit old posts, though. Could it be an update to the system this forum works on? I don't really understand it but that's a theory.
"I am the greatest hero of all time. I get three Globox stamps." ~ Globox himself
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa
Tings: 122710

Post by Elite Piranha »

I was wondering the same thing, I few days ago I wanted to change the name of my thread in the fanworks section and the edit button was not visible in the first post.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Droolie wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 1:58 am Was editing of older posts disabled recently? I have had someone ask me to edit an old post of theirs on the RayTunes forum, since I'm still a mod there.
I'd like to still keep the ability to edit older posts of mine as well. For example it seems I can no longer edit the OP of my old fangame thread from 2007 -- which I still want to edit in the future... even my latest posts in it from 2017 can't be edited anymore. What gives?
Indeed, as part of our continued effort to keep the forum as safe as possible for its users, we recently rolled out a new feature that locks older posts to give us more control on modification of older content. Not having to constantly monitor north of a million older posts allows us to focus all our attention on newly posted content instead.

Of course, the system is extremely basic at this point, and we're in the process of collecting data to see how it can be improved: think post-based exemptions, trusted users, whether to apply this to topic first posts, etc. That's why feedback like this is very valuable to us!

For now, I'll manually unlock the posts in question, but we hope to be able to improve the system over time and allow for more flexibility. In the meantime, please keep the feedback going: all ideas welcome! :D
arnoldfranklin
Carnivora
Tings: 12665

Post by arnoldfranklin »

I feel like we need to add topics to which you can edit posts such as fan games, projects, and forum games (SOTM, TTK, etc.) because you should be able to edit them. This seems a little hard to do but what if we had it so you can't delete like your whole post while editing it and made it so you could delete a little. I guess that might make people be like lakjfkljsdlfjdljk and spam it. I'm sorry this is just an idea: what if we had mods notified or have to approve old edits.
"I am the greatest hero of all time. I get three Globox stamps." ~ Globox himself
Droolie
Mr Sax
Tings: 61830

Post by Droolie »

Hunchman801 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 2:41 pm Not having to constantly monitor north of a million older posts allows us to focus all our attention on newly posted content instead.
Was the edit feature really being abused to the extent that edits had to be disabled?
It's a rather limiting change - I think editing old posts should still be allowed for various reasons: updating OPs/posts in general with new information (e.g. fanwork threads, mod threads, things like the Rayman fonts thread...), updating dead links, removing information you once posted but don't want people to find easily anymore...

Maybe an idea would be to allow editing, but have edits show up in a list somewhere for mods to screen, along with new posts?
I would not go with the post-based exemptions/OPs only idea. It seems really annoying to do in practice since IMO almost every post deserves being exempt from this, so I think you would get a lot of requests to apply this to certain posts.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Droolie wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 3:56 am Was the edit feature really being abused to the extent that edits had to be disabled?
It's a rather limiting change - I think editing old posts should still be allowed for various reasons: updating OPs/posts in general with new information (e.g. fanwork threads, mod threads, things like the Rayman fonts thread...), updating dead links, removing information you once posted but don't want people to find easily anymore...

Maybe an idea would be to allow editing, but have edits show up in a list somewhere for mods to screen, along with new posts?
I would not go with the post-based exemptions/OPs only idea. It seems really annoying to do in practice since IMO almost every post deserves being exempt from this, so I think you would get a lot of requests to apply this to certain posts.
There have been two concerning trends that have led us to implement this protection: first, users massively vandalizing their old posts, rendering conversations illegible for no legitimate reason, and second, spambots inserting content into older messages, whether their own or those of inactive accounts with weak passwords.

So, while nothing bad actually happened, we identified a strong risk of abuse here and preemptively introduced this change to ensure the safety of our users. Not a month passes by without us hearing of new drama taking place on the Rayman communities of Discord, Twitter and other platforms, and we want this place to remain the safe haven it is now.

The rationale behind this protection is that, in practice, there are very few legitimate reasons to edit a message over two years old, and that, when such a situation occurs, people can reach out to us and we'll obviously allow them to submit the changes they're looking to make, be it updating posts with new information or removing personal information. Because, to clarify, the intent is not to forbid such changes, only to have them run by us in the first place.

Time appears to have proven us right: in the six months that have passed since this protection was implemented in December of last year, we have only received two requests, yours being the second one. Compare that to the hundreds of malicious edits we observe every year and that cost us countless hours of investigating and recovering posts from old dusty backups, and one can easily see how that's a major improvement from the previous situation.

Of course, we are well aware that the current system is far from perfect. It is but a quick fix that we know is slightly confusing and lacks in flexibility. An ideal system for me would probably:
  • allow users to directly edit their older posts, but the change would only be published once validated by the moderation team
  • allow moderators to whitelist posts on a case-by-case basis, for example topic first posts that are likely to be edited regularly
Sadly, the mere volunteers we are have no time to develop such a system as of now, but we'll take this opportunity to keep listening to your feedback so that, when we finally have the time to work on this, we can integrate it into the new system and hopefully provide an experience that is not only safe for our users but also less confusing and more flexible at the same time. :D
deton24
Garatta Ciatik
Tings: 8652

Post by deton24 »

Hunchman801 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 4:43 pm
Excuse me, what's happened to the site? It's broken.
Screenshot_20220715-195133.png
Screenshot_20220715-195133.png (269.54 KiB) Viewed 3119 times
OK. I probably fixed it by using VPN for a moment and refreshed. Maybe it was due to my sh**y connection/provider I started to use recently.