List of ranks

For all things related to Pirate-Community and its websites.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Aaron
Vendeur
Tings: 81340

Re: List of ranks

Post by Aaron »

I can't believe it's already done! That was fast! :D

Loving the new ranklist also! However, because all the nymph ranks' places got changed to be high-level ranks along with other ones that were lower-level before, this would mean I'd have to go through all those ranks again before I get to stuff like Ly and Globox once the new ranklist is implemented. :fou:
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102745

Post by PluMGMK »

Elite Piranha wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:53 pm The good thing is that Dark Globox can be kept in the Special rank archive (I assume).
Sure!
Elite Piranha wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:53 pm Btw, I wonder if an image of the Tentacle claw (the light-blue killable variable) could be extracted.
Probably not, come to think of it. That enemy uses one of those "long" textures that some Direct3D implementations can't even render properly…
Elite Piranha wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:53 pm Also, another version of the Polokus rank (which one do you think is better?).
My thoughts are the same as CurlyBrace's. This picture is actually closer to the one I had in my head when we first talked about a Polokus rank, but the one we have looks more grand and powerful, suited to the top of the list…
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 610019

Post by Hunchman801 »

Great work everyone, the new list looks great! And congrats PluM on the 32768th post. :chinois:
Mortamon Saturn
Razoff
Tings: 32995

Post by Mortamon Saturn »

Congrats on the list! It looks really great! :D

It'll feel a bit weird for me to go down a few ranks all of a sudden, though. :oops2:
PluMGMK wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:05 pm I don't know, it feels kind of wrong to kick out the General. We could pair him with Ed, but I think it would be a stretch to consider him part of the Rayman universe (besides the General and Ed are on the same side in Tonic Trouble). I wonder what other people think about this.
I think it's better as it is. And if we really have to consider some major changes in the future, we could just leave them to the next generations once Rayman 4 is finally released billions hundreds of years later. :hap:

PluMGMK wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:05 pm
Rayman Saturn wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:27 pm Now I am curious to see someone make an actual creepypasta around this silly idea. :lol:
Polokus was the true original nightmare all along… Can’t wait for the official Rayman crossover with Freddy Krueger! :bad:
Have you read Croboculous' theory yet?
Well, now I did... and... it sounds pretty interesting... though, I doubt Ubisoft really intended anything like that and the strategy guide stuff was probably something made up on the spot for whatever reason (as it's really weird to add such a piece of story in a strategy guide... it could make sense in a manual or a special book dedicated to the lore, but not this).
Also, I feel a sudden interest in seeing a main female antagonist in a sequel (if we ever get one...), one based on this "Muse of the poets" that would indeed be the cause of Polokus' nightmares. Reading what little we know about her, I feel like there would be a way to write a pretty cool villain that would have grown disgusted by Polokus' creations and would eventually threaten the Glade of Dreams (either to destroy Polokus' work and/or to rebuild everything as she wishes). It could be some sort of witch with similitudes to Mr Dark, Jano and Voodoo Mama... As long we don't end up with a beauty obsessed cliché villain and as long she isn't designed like one of the nymphs from Origins (never understood how Ubisoft felt this was a good idea for a game like Rayman... oh, wait, Serge Hascoët :hap:), I'll probably be satisfied... But first, I just want to see mah Mr Dark return for a main entry (and maybe Razorbeard too). :devil:
Rayman Saturn wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:41 pm "RaYmAn's haIr iS aCtuAlly sOme smAll crEatUres aNd he hAs a gIrlfrieNd we never heard of bEfore (original character, do not steal), BetIlla iS actualLy a thiCc nyMph wAifu, GlobOx wAs rEd but TurnEd blUe becuz oF mOsquiToes Stings (just add bees and you have one of DA's favourite fetishes :hap:), tHe MagiCiaN waS sEcretly a teEnsie aNd a fan of Mr DaRk and hE's gonna mAke all evIl crEAtures angery agaInst Ramen bY aMplifyiNg his SNORING, and theN eveRyone TURNED INTO INFLATED BUBBLES! TEH END!!!" :fou:
Remember, the stories about Rayman's hair and Globox's colour aren't actually part of the Origins game story: viewtopic.php?p=1363449#p1363449 :hap:
I already know (and I'm really glad that's not the case! :oops2: ), but since we're talking about "fanfiction stuff", it felt much funnier to lump them together like that. :noel:
Geigergast wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:44 pm anything's better than legend's story :pfff:
Story, or lack of story? :hehe: The simplicity adds to its charm really. :hap:
Uh? What is this """Legends' story""" you people keep talking about? :hap:
Vive Rayman et les prunes !:angel:

o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o

It's time to Rock 'n' Run!
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa
Tings: 122710

Post by Elite Piranha »

It seems that I would need 5000+ Tings to keep my Creveton rank, I wonder if getting Tings for wiki contributions is still a thing.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Elite Piranha wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:21 pm It seems that I would need 5000+ Tings to keep my Creveton rank, I wonder if getting Tings for wiki contributions is still a thing.
It is, just let know if you get back to it. :up:
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa

Post by Elite Piranha »

Hunchman801 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:58 pm
Elite Piranha wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:21 pm It seems that I would need 5000+ Tings to keep my Creveton rank, I wonder if getting Tings for wiki contributions is still a thing.
It is, just let know if you get back to it. :up:
In the past weeks I've been uploading files to wiki, however I think you only get Tings for writing/translating articles, right?
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

It's always been limited to contributions on the smaller wikis, yes. That's basically to encourage their growth. :)

Not that there shouldn't be a more global system for that, but we feared that, if deployed at greater scale, the current system could be abused.
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa

Post by Elite Piranha »

I see, hopefully I can go back to translating articles at some point. Also, I wonder if it is ok to make a less zoomed in version of the Voodoo Mamma rank (or maybe it is too late for that).
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

It's not too late. ;) I think I should make a week-long poll to see if people are happy with the list as it is, or if there's a significant appetite for more changes (like the alt Polokus rank, the Tentacle Claw, etc)…

UPDATE: I've opened a poll. If the majority are happy with the list by next Sunday, I think we can install it!
But in the meantime, I'd like to hear more opinions on the Polokus ranks too :)
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa

Post by Elite Piranha »

Here are alternative versions for the Annetta Fish and Voodoo Mamma ranks. About VM, I forgot where I put the cropped version of the Jungle Run artwork, so if needed I'll have to crop it again.
Attachments
Anetta-Fish-V2.png
Anetta-Fish-V2.png (13.81 KiB) Viewed 3727 times
Voodoo-Mamma-V2.png
Voodoo-Mamma-V2.png (13.86 KiB) Viewed 3727 times
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

I see, you've made those to be consistent with the poses in the other ranks. I have to say I'm not a huge fan of those poses in the first place, since they all look a bit crosseyed! Maybe I'll try to make non-crosseyed versions of the other three instead…

EDIT: How about these? They look more celebratory and less circumspect, but maybe that's appropriate for someone with over 100k Tings :hap:
AlineHeureuse.png
AlineHeureuse.png (29.65 KiB) Viewed 3705 times
SandraHeureuse.png
SandraHeureuse.png (28.9 KiB) Viewed 3705 times
AmbreHeureuse.png
AmbreHeureuse.png (27.08 KiB) Viewed 3705 times
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Aren't they a bit blurry though?
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

It's not just me then… :mefiant: I resized them from game screenshots, having used GIMP's paint bucket to recolour the background. The screenshots were JPEGs to begin with too, but maybe it's just the resizing method I used?

EDIT: I'm also quite concerned that apparently two people aren't happy with the order of the ranks. To those two voters, I ask, what do you think should be changed?
Aaron
Vendeur

Post by Aaron »

I said it before in my previous post here, but I voted for the ranklist to be changed because this way, I'd have to go through a lot of the low-level ranks I've already passed at this point since they got moved to be high-level ranks. This would also mean I would be way further from the Globox rank or the Rayman ranks too than I'd be otherwise.
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa

Post by Elite Piranha »

Another version of the Voodoo Mamma rank (in case is needed). I like the celebratory nymph ranks, but I don't dislike the previous versions either.
Attachments
Voodoo-Mamma-V3.png
Voodoo-Mamma-V3.png (13.71 KiB) Viewed 3659 times
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

With all these alternative ranks popping up, I'm thinking of having another poll after the current one to pick the avatars for each character where there's a question. I know the current poll is showing a majority in favour of adopting the current draft, and I'm wary of dragging it out, but I really want to get this right. This list is likely to be in use for many years to come (please God we last that long!) and I don't want us to be stuck with any regrets…

On the subject of regrets, to Aaron's point, I guess I see where you're coming from (well, not really, because I love nymph ranks :fou:), but these kinds of changes will always cause some level of inconvenience to certain people. I think it's a small price to pay for having a more consistently logical ranking of the characters, i.e. fairies together since they're all Polokus' emissaries.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

I agree that voting on images where several propositions were made is a good idea.
Aaron
Vendeur

Post by Aaron »

PluMGMK wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:14 pm With all these alternative ranks popping up, I'm thinking of having another poll after the current one to pick the avatars for each character where there's a question. I know the current poll is showing a majority in favour of adopting the current draft, and I'm wary of dragging it out, but I really want to get this right. This list is likely to be in use for many years to come (please God we last that long!) and I don't want us to be stuck with any regrets…

On the subject of regrets, to Aaron's point, I guess I see where you're coming from (well, not really, because I love nymph ranks :fou:), but these kinds of changes will always cause some level of inconvenience to certain people. I think it's a small price to pay for having a more consistently logical ranking of the characters, i.e. fairies together since they're all Polokus' emissaries.
I guess you're right in that, not every choice is gonna benefit everyone in the long run.
Steo
Globox
Tings: 91547

Post by Steo »

PluMGMK wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:05 pm It's not just me then… :mefiant: I resized them from game screenshots, having used GIMP's paint bucket to recolour the background. The screenshots were JPEGs to begin with too, but maybe it's just the resizing method I used?

EDIT: I'm also quite concerned that apparently two people aren't happy with the order of the ranks. To those two voters, I ask, what do you think should be changed?
For some reason paint.NET used to work well for me when I was using Windows, that's what I used when I made the Globox rank. Interestingly, I can never make it turn out the same way, even if I try make it again with GIMP. Using bicubic ends up making it way too sharp, while other settings make it too blurry. I'm not even sure what paint.NET was doing because I had the resizing method set to auto.
FC: 40210 | CF: 103059 | BOM: 94388 | LOTLD: 120486 | DOTK: 110450 | LS: 40810 | SBTC: 99693 | HH: 100028 | TOTL: 100563

TOTAL: 809687