Rayman 1

Talk about Rayman himself and Rayman games!

Moderator: English moderators

Which version is your favourite?

Jaguar
5%
PC
25%
PlayStation
54%
Saturn
8%
Game Boy Colour
No votes
Game Boy Advance
3%
DSi
4%

Total votes: 156

Adsolution
Dora Dodemer
Tings: 5007

Re: Rayman 1

Post by Adsolution »

So the game didn't freeze-frame when you broke it, you just hit the cage, it broke and the electoons jumped out laughing immediately? That would probably give me some major cognitive dissonance kek, it would seem so strange.

RayCarrot
Uglette
Tings: 25899

Post by RayCarrot »

Yeah, that's essentially what happened. The cage jumped up as normal leaving all the electoons behind as normal. The only difference was that it didn't show me the thing showing how many cages I'd broken.
I also quickly tried replaying the level to see if some cages would still be there or something as I now had 7 cages total instead of 6, though all were gone as I'd expected.

Edit: It'll also be interesting seeing if this unlocks Mr. Dark's Dare even if I'm missing one cage. That'll depend on if the game checks for a total number of cages or if it checks if all levels have at least 6 cages.

PluMGMK
Pizzicatta
Tings: 3420

Post by PluMGMK »

Adsolution wrote:So the game didn't freeze-frame when you broke it, you just hit the cage, it broke and the electoons jumped out laughing immediately? That would probably give me some major cognitive dissonance kek, it would seem so strange.
Well, it was actually already known how the game reacts to breaking more than six cages, thanks to Jaxx's messing with Cheat Engine (See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfjBBP44J9w). First time it's been done without hacking though, I guess!

Sabertooth
Joe
Tings: 53315

Post by Sabertooth »

This is a really cool discovery. If only you'd recorded it; would you mind doing it again?
BestXIII wrote:The knaarens are very big shitass! :grrrrrr:

THEdragon
Musicien
Tings: 47495

Post by THEdragon »

So is it like the Rayman 1 equivalent of the 1000th yellow lum, except unintentional?
When you defeat nine antitoons with one punch!

PluMGMK
Pizzicatta

Post by PluMGMK »

Only this one was caused by handheld porters instead of being stupidly broken by them!

Haruka
Rayman 2
Tings: 178780

Post by Haruka »

Just passing by here to show up a gift given by two friends of mine a few weeks ago. :)

It is not in the best condition ever but knowing how these are becoming even rarer with the years it was quite a surprise. I would say it is in average condition as the cover needs to be glued back to the plastic case, the manual has got lots of wear and the disc too. It is the first time I open a Saturn game box and... is it normal that the CD barely can get stuck in the CD slot?

PluMGMK
Pizzicatta

Post by PluMGMK »

Yeah, my copy's the same, so I think it's normal. As long as it's not actually falling out.

Haruka
Rayman 2

Post by Haruka »

Then no wonder why Saturn discs have tendency to be very scratched. It is not falling out as the slot is not broken but it is still very annoying that it barely gets stuck. By the minimum movement, it gets loose!

Master
Rayman Origins
Tings: 404000

Post by Master »

Caddy's looking at Rayman 1:

THEdragon
Musicien

Post by THEdragon »

I watched that this morning. Interestingly, that bit where he got stuck in Picture City is the first time I'd seen anyone get 'stuck' somewhere in that game. I'm guessing as a result of the blue fairy un-shrinking Rayman, and then him crawling back into the 'small Rayman' space.

RayCarrot
Uglette
Tings: 25899

Post by RayCarrot »

THEdragon wrote:I watched that this morning. Interestingly, that bit where he got stuck in Picture City is the first time I'd seen anyone get 'stuck' somewhere in that game. I'm guessing as a result of the blue fairy un-shrinking Rayman, and then him crawling back into the 'small Rayman' space.
There's actually a way to spawn another blue fairy inside that area by jumping at a certain place. As far as I know it's not possible to get stuck anywhere in the game like this.

THEdragon
Musicien

Post by THEdragon »

Carrot-master wrote:
THEdragon wrote:I watched that this morning. Interestingly, that bit where he got stuck in Picture City is the first time I'd seen anyone get 'stuck' somewhere in that game. I'm guessing as a result of the blue fairy un-shrinking Rayman, and then him crawling back into the 'small Rayman' space.
There's actually a way to spawn another blue fairy inside that area by jumping at a certain place. As far as I know it's not possible to get stuck anywhere in the game like this.
Now that I think about it, I actually remember that. It really did seem strange to me that he would get stuck like that. I guess he didn't find the fairy trigger.

PluMGMK
Pizzicatta

Post by PluMGMK »

I've always found it disconcerting that they made that gendoor (that's the Rayman term for trigger!) so hard to find. Never really gave me trouble though.

anaphasiia
Pizzicatta
Tings: 3495

Post by anaphasiia »

It's easier to find in Rayman Advance because the gendoors are much bigger. If you jump on the ledge on the left, run and jump to the right, you trigger it, but it's quite precise in most versions.

I think it's also strange that, when he was stuck on a level, he didn't think of collecting many tings/lives in earlier levels first. It does make the game much easier when you have a plethora of lives.

Adsolution
Dora Dodemer
Tings: 5007

Post by Adsolution »

True - I remember when Shrooblord told me he never made it past Eat At Joe's. When he visited in 2014 I gave him the 99 lives cheat, and lo and behold he beat it only having lost 75!

Sabertooth
Joe
Tings: 53315

Post by Sabertooth »

I agree with Caddicarus that the game is much too hard and shouldn't have had a lives system (a big thing the new games did right). Having to save all the Electoons is also bullshit. Still love the game including the later levels.
anaphasiia wrote:It's easier to find in Rayman Advance because the gendoors are much bigger.
It also helps that they're actually visible in Rayman Advance. Though I believe it detracts from the mysterious quality of the game, it definitely makes things easier.
BestXIII wrote:The knaarens are very big shitass! :grrrrrr:

Haruka
Rayman 2

Post by Haruka »

He used plenty of Croc sound effects for this one :P. And I just noticed he has got the Abe's hand tattoos of Oddworld.

I believe the most correct term to define R1's difficulty level is "unforgiving". Any tiny mistake can represent easily a life loss. If there was a R1 HD remake I would like to see how they would try to make the game easier if difficulty settings were included, and I do not mean the "easy" way that they did for DSi. I talk about transformations in the scenario like extra clouds, life statues, or other things that could make things way easier for players.

By the way, if anyone is interested in cheap digital Rayman games, GOG is making a huge discount in every Ubisoft game. Check the list in the side: https://www.gog.com/game/rayman_forever

PluMGMK
Pizzicatta

Post by PluMGMK »

Hmm, perhaps I should use this opportunity to pick up a DRM-free copy of Origins on the cheap…

Bradandez
Globox
Tings: 137530

Post by Bradandez »

I love Caddy's video. Nails everything about what I like and dislike about Rayman 1.