Rayman 1

For discussions about the Rayman series.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.

Which version is your favourite?

Jaguar
4%
PC
23%
PlayStation
58%
Saturn
7%
Game Boy Colour
1%
Game Boy Advance
3%
DSi
3%

Total votes: 206

PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102745

Re: Rayman 1

Post by PluMGMK »

I've only tested it on native Linux actually, not Wine (yet).
dr_st
Eig
Tings: 40813

Post by dr_st »

I'd like to bring back an old discussion in regards to the PC soundtrack. I know there was a thought in the past that earlier releases of the game had a different/fuller soundtrack than the later ones, but as far as I could see they turned out to be mostly wrong.

Now I'm trying to understand - are there any differences of the soundtrack between the original (yellow) and SmartSaver (purple) disks? My Rayman CD is the yellow one and has 25 tracks - 1 data track, 19 audio tracks, and the last 6 tracks are the intro and outro in 3 different languages. Is the purple SmartSaver disk any different?

Same question about whether there is any difference between the two different Rayman Forever disks.

Hopefully, Adsolution or PluMGMK know the answer. :)
RayCarrot
Tily
Tings: 36217

Post by RayCarrot »

There's no real difference between different PC versions in terms of soundtrack. Some have an incomplete one (Rayman Forever) where most songs were shortened to save space. I think 1 release even removed the music completely. Otherwise version differences mainly come down to the available cheat codes, available languages and the intro/ending movies.
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

The UK release of Rayman Gold had no CD audio. Every other release had at least 19 audio tracks, with some also containing the intro and outro (removed from later versions). About a decade ago, certain YouTubers decided it'd be funny to pretend that there existed versions with more tracks. Of course, it's easy to fake that on a video walkthrough.

As for the content of the 19 tracks, they included the Ubi Soft logo, the menu music, the game over music, and the actual level music. The level music was condensed into two tracks per world: a normal level track and a boss track.

In the original release, the normal level track for each world contained a medley of that world's tracks from the PS/Saturn version, bridged by ambient tracks (e.g. "Lost in the Woods" or "Quiet!"). The Dream Forest and Picture City ones were anomalous in that they included "Bzitt Attacks" and "Washing Machine from Space" respectively, even though those were boss tracks in the proper OST.
The boss track for each world contained the respective boss track from the PS/Saturn version, joined with "Drums of the Enemy" (except for Picture City, which used "Suspense" as the interlude instead).

I have a Rayman Gold release from Belgium, which shortened some of the medleys somewhat, seemingly to make room for the extra content on the disc.

Rayman Forever likewise shortened some of them (not even all the same ones!) and really stupidly replaced the Dream Forest level soundtrack with part of the Caves of Skops one. :boon: Naturally, since it's a 700-MB CD, there could not possibly be a version that contains the full OST, despite what credulous ten-years-ago me may have heard…
dr_st
Eig

Post by dr_st »

Got it. Yes, this is consistent with some things I've already discovered.

So, does your purple Rayman CD contain the intro and outro tracks? Is it the SmartSaver one or was there another purple PC CD release?
RibShark
Feuillu
Tings: 1735

Post by RibShark »

All versions of Rayman 1 on PC have between 18 and 25 audio tracks. Versions without the intro/ending cutscene will have 18, versions with a single language will have 20, versions with three languages will have 24. The US SoftKey and Smart Saver releases have the French ending track duplicated, so there are 25 tracks total on that release.

Rayman Gold/Designer/Forever/Collector have 19 tracks, containing both the "happy" and "sad" renditions of the game over theme, whereas the original only contained the "happy" one. In the original game, the "happy" theme will be the only one to play, while in these rereleases, only the "sad" theme will play. US/Canada releases of Forever have shortened and incorrect tracks for an unknown reason (the tracks fit fine on Collector).

A few original Rayman and Rayman Gold rereleases have significantly shortened tracks for some reason, as well as only having the "happy" game over theme in both tracks. The reason for this is unknown, as the normal tracks could have easily fit in the disc.

Some Focus rereleases of Rayman Gold are missing all audio tracks, as well as a paper-sleeve rerelease of the German Rayman Designer. Additionally, some Rayman Forever discs in the 2013 Rayman Collection have the wrong data on them, with just the original Rayman game and no DOS wrapper or audio tracks. The version of this release is 1.10, which has actually never been found on any other disc.
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

Oh right, I didn't know that about the happy and sad game-over themes! That 1.10 business sounds fishy, as if they accidentally released a CD image that had been made over a decade previously, for internal alpha-testing only.
RibShark
Feuillu

Post by RibShark »

PluMGMK wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:26 pm Oh right, I didn't know that about the happy and sad game-over themes! That 1.10 business sounds fishy, as if they accidentally released a CD image that had been made over a decade previously, for internal alpha-testing only.
Yeah, it's really weird. Found it by complete accident and was very surprised when I saw the contents. Not sure what the differences are apart from some of the cheats being different.
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

What are the differences in cheats?
RibShark
Feuillu

Post by RibShark »

PluMGMK wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:32 pm What are the differences in cheats?
I've edited the wiki page: https://raymanpc.com/wiki/en/List_of_ch ... PC_version
The Chinese version may contain it's own set of cheats too, I'll take a look at it soon.
dr_st
Eig

Post by dr_st »

RibShark wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:01 am I've edited the wiki page: https://raymanpc.com/wiki/en/List_of_ch ... PC_version
This appears incorrect. My version is 1.12 (EU) and it has the cheats that you listed in the columns for 1.00. I never had any other version, so I don't know about the others. Also, the map cheats for 'select sublevel' and 'random level in breakout game' don't work, but CBRAY always starts me off on a random level, so...
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

That's strange. I wonder why they kept changing the codes for each new version anyway.

Also I really want to know what was going through their heads when they put Caves of Skops music in the Dream Forest. I mean, imagine playing Rayman 1 for the first time on your Forever disc, starting the very first level and hearing instead of :tssk:
dr_st
Eig

Post by dr_st »

Yeah, this would suck. Must be a mistake, I guess, and not as bad as just having no audio tracks at all.

Actually, just today I received my copy of the big box version of Rayman Gold (bought from the same seller, apparently they had more than one), and lo and behold, it says 'UK Version' on the disk, but it has the 19 audio tracks. Apparently, only the Focus/Revival re-release mistakenly omitted them (which is actually consistent with the Wiki, but I will clarify it).
Attachments
RayGoldUKCD.jpg
Polokus
Ugly
Tings: 675

Post by Polokus »

Anyone ever played Rayman mirrored? (video flipped horizontally) :lol:

I just thought of it there but I haven't tried to play it like that yet. however I found a website that mirrors youtube videos and I'm watching a playthrough flipped.

at first it was a bit strange, especially when you've played the game so much and some things just look odd. but after a while you start to sort of lose where you are and it looks like a fresh game :lol:
obviously the text and stuff looks silly but if you look past that it's quite an experience.

It actually gave me the idea of creating a mod where the image would be flipped but the start and end of the levels were swapped too.
So the game would feel normal because you are walking from left to right but you would lose your bearings from normal Rayman and it would look like a totally new game. :lol:

when watching the playthrough I realised that the way the levels are created there wouldn't actually be any softlocks because you can go back and forward very naturally within the levels anyway. and if there were levels that wouldn't work that way like the spiky hill one or Tarayzan that particular level could just be normal.
Steo
Globox
Tings: 91547

Post by Steo »

Imagine how weird it would be if the water started at the top and then went down, so all you had to do was stand there until the water level descended and then just walk down to the bottom. :lol:
FC: 40210 | CF: 103059 | BOM: 94388 | LOTLD: 120486 | DOTK: 110450 | LS: 40810 | SBTC: 99693 | HH: 100028 | TOTL: 100563

TOTAL: 809687
The Jonster
Joe
Tings: 78205

Post by The Jonster »

Yeah that would be a very curious game to play. Reminds me of that one area where you have to cut the ropes to stop drowning. Now all you have to do is fly since the water’s blocked from above xD
Always be true to yourself.
Sigs by Steo and R4Y_ANC3L
Droolie
Mr Sax
Tings: 61830

Post by Droolie »

Fun fact: Space Mama in Rayman 1 is called "meredenis" in the source code. In France, Mère Denis was -like Space Mama- a rather big old lady who was well known because she appeared in commercials for washing machines, such as this one: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8rl2a
It's pretty obvious that she was a direct inspiration for Space Mama (and IMO that's slightly mean of the R1 team).

Fun fact #2: This minigame in RRR2 also has the code name "MereDenis": https://youtu.be/AD-sfSjhJX0?t=2725
Steo
Globox
Tings: 91547

Post by Steo »

That's really interesting, it explains why Space Mama randomly has a washing machine then...
FC: 40210 | CF: 103059 | BOM: 94388 | LOTLD: 120486 | DOTK: 110450 | LS: 40810 | SBTC: 99693 | HH: 100028 | TOTL: 100563

TOTAL: 809687
StelzenBomber
Dragon mécanique
Tings: 25637

Post by StelzenBomber »

Does anyone have a scan of the french rayman 1 cover and back?
Fifo
Joe
Tings: 78355

Post by Fifo »

StelzenBomber wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:23 am Does anyone have a scan of the french rayman 1 cover and back?
I can scan my PS1 copy’s cover/back inlay if you wish.