Rayman 1

For discussions about the Rayman series.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.

Which version is your favourite?

Jaguar
4%
PC
23%
PlayStation
58%
Saturn
7%
Game Boy Colour
1%
Game Boy Advance
3%
DSi
3%

Total votes: 206

Adsolution
Aline Louïa
Tings: 106718

Re: Rayman 1

Post by Adsolution »

superrayman3 wrote:That may be the case with the Disc based versions but I'm not entirely sure that's the case for the Jaguar version, yesterday I was watching the Jaguar opening sequence (the part where Rayman pieces himself together) in both PAL and NTSC modes to see how the sequence differs because of the timing difference and I noticed that in PAL mode the Rayman logo drops onto the screen with the SFX just as the opening theme is about to loop which artistically speaking actually makes alot more sense whereas in NTSC mode the logo and SFX appear way too soon in the song.
That is a nice little touch, but it's probably a coincidence, given that the game itself, including the bonus level timers, still run slower.
Tunderous wrote:Ohhh... Thank you. I always thought you could jump over IT.
You can, you just need to get a feel for when the fish jumps. For crouching, you have to make sure you're on the far right side of the ball, and even then it only sometimes works, since the fish and ball-bobbing cycles aren't bound to line up the same way every time.

The biggest mistake people usually make is to even try dodging the fish. In both cases, you can jump to the next ball before it jumps.
Tunderous
Ptizêtre en or
Tings: 930

Post by Tunderous »

Adsolution wrote:You can, you just need to get a feel for when the fish jumps. For crouching, you have to make sure you're on the far right side of the ball, and even then it only sometimes works, since the fish and ball-bobbing cycles aren't bound to line up the same way every time.

The biggest mistake people usually make is to even try dodging the fish. In both cases, you can jump to the next ball before it jumps.
makes sense
ImageImage if your seeing this im prob dead again
Keane wrote:VERY FAST POSTER EARNING TINGS AT INCREDIBLE HIGH SPEED
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 610019

Post by Hunchman801 »

sergiomonty wrote:Fucking cheap ass game. Cute art direction, amazing sound design, horrible, AWFUL design choices that I'm glad the gaming industry didn't take notes from. Holy shit.
Examples please? Not to mention you're judging a 20+ years old game by today's standards.
Adsolution wrote:
sergiomonty wrote:Leaps of faith? tons of them
I asked you to give me one solitary example like two years ago, and you didn't. You just replayed the game, and you still haven't.
This.
sergiomonty wrote:...nah, I'm just kidding, your story sounds very bullshit.
Haruka wrote:It could be an early animation that did not get updated in the final build of the game.

Also guys, listen to this :mryellow:! It made my day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WXrz_OXmIM
Haha, that's neat.
Adsolution wrote:That's kind of what I don't understand though, if there's something scanning horizontally across the screen at head-height, why would you not duck :?: like are you retarded :?:

Also, you don't have to be nearly as precise as he's making it out to be in the crawling pots section. You can see in his first take he actually overshot it and he had to slow down.

Also, no, you don't have to hit the knob on the washing machine, you just have to hit the washing machine.

I will give him that the head is annoyingly precise to hit and that the double-shot thing at the end is a total surprise (which can result in many a death, fair enough), but other than that, the boss is the literal opposite of random. Most of the other shit he's complaining about is very normal video game stuff, such as her shooting at three different heights during the washing machine section, which you also have probably around a second of look-ahead time between when the roller's moved into position and when you have to jump/duck to avoid it.

I get the feeling he really likes to dramaticise his Rayman 1 experience. It looked like he was purposely bullshitting some of the video to make it look more unfair than it actually is to pander to the people who have PTSD from a considerably difficult bossfight.
Adsolution wrote:
CHRdutch wrote:Now tell me Ad, does Space Mama scroll towards you in this part or does she pop up out of nowhere?
well it's a pattern so....... it's still kind of predictable?

Regardless, that's a perfect example of something where, if you get hit the very first time you do it because you're too dumb to duck, you should never get hit there again.
This.
PluMGMK wrote:We had a discussion about this before and I think we came to the conclusion that it's not quite that simple.
You'll be fine if you duck right on the middle of the balloon, won't you? Well, Ad said right, so maybe it's right (haha :boon:).
sergiomonty
Antitoon
Tings: 10

Post by sergiomonty »

Fuck you all. I ain't replaying that garbage game just to show you how garbage it is.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Case closed then, I guess. :)
Dart
Clark
Tings: 49845

Post by Dart »

Ramon Ones all fun and games until Picture City kicks your teeth in
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Picture City surely has a few hard parts but I was never really stuck there. In fact, the only place I got stuck was the Swamps of Forgetfulness.
Ray502
Magicien
Tings: 52095

Post by Ray502 »

I never found Swamps of Forgotfulness to be difficult. To me, it was Allergo Presto and Pencil Pentathlon. I had no idea back then I didn't need to jump to get past those swarm of pencils in the final phase.
FC: 37.699 | CF: 107.954 | BOM: 94.827 | LOTLD: 121.385 | DOTK: 109.831 | LS: 41.270 | SBTC: 94.755 | HH: 107.339 | TOTL: 104.496

Total: 819.556
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Ray502 wrote:I had no idea back then I didn't need to jump to get past those swarm of pencils in the final phase.
Clearly, that part has flawed level design, because you need to walk down the inky slope to land on the bouncing erasers, and absolutely not run, and there's no indication of that. But that's the only place in the whole game that I can think of having such a problem.
Ray502
Magicien

Post by Ray502 »

Hunchman801 wrote:you need to walk down the inky slope to land on the bouncing erasers, and absolutely not run
If only my 10 year old self knew that. What I did was get a running start and jumped. It worked like 3 times, out of about 100 attempts.
FC: 37.699 | CF: 107.954 | BOM: 94.827 | LOTLD: 121.385 | DOTK: 109.831 | LS: 41.270 | SBTC: 94.755 | HH: 107.339 | TOTL: 104.496

Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Ray502 wrote:If only my 10 year old self knew that. What I did was get a running start and jumped. It worked like 3 times, out of about 100 attempts.
I probably lost a good ten lives trying back then. :lol:
need my speed
Le Capitaine
Tings: 9865

Post by need my speed »

Ray502 wrote:I never found Swamps of Forgotfulness to be difficult. To me, it was Allergo Presto and Pencil Pentathlon. I had no idea back then I didn't need to jump to get past those swarm of pencils in the final phase.
Ray502 wrote:
Hunchman801 wrote:you need to walk down the inky slope to land on the bouncing erasers, and absolutely not run
If only my 10 year old self knew that. What I did was get a running start and jumped. It worked like 3 times, out of about 100 attempts.
I think I was just a bit younger than ten years old, but yes. I was stuck here for such a long time (as well as in The Menhir Hills, in Rayman 2, for I didn't understand what to do with those walking shells :P). Someone told me of red clouds spawning on top of the pencils, by running in a certain way (he made that up, of course - someone else told me of a plum falling down with which to cross the thorny ground in Menhir Hills, which was also made up). But eventually, weeks, months, perhaps, or even years later, I passed it. And I never had any trouble with Space Mama, or any level, except for Eat at Joe's (the sharks) and Candy Chateau.
Hello there! o/
#Rubber mark#
Murfy
Tings: 83021

Post by #Rubber mark# »

sergiogay wrote:Fuck you all. I ain't replaying that garbage game just to show you how garbage it is.
Your message is insulting and has therefore been reported to the moderating team. Please refrain yourself from expressing such antisocial behavior in the future.
Ray502
Magicien

Post by Ray502 »

Hunchman801 wrote:
Ray502 wrote:If only my 10 year old self knew that. What I did was get a running start and jumped. It worked like 3 times, out of about 100 attempts.
I probably lost a good ten lives trying back then. :lol:
10 lives lost ain't comparable to about 97. I lost so many at that phase, I had to start the game completely over. This is because at that time, I didn't have a PS1 or PS3, and I was too dumb and probably too lazy to write down the passwords. :fou:

2010 was a rough year for me playing R1.

Adsolution
Aline Louïa
Tings: 106718

Post by Adsolution »

When Shrooblord was over at my place, he lost 74 lives on Eat At Joe's.
GOT4N
Photographe
Tings: 400

Post by GOT4N »

nr0r
Crapaud blindé
Tings: 16858

Post by nr0r »

Do you play with God? Do you care for the sanity of our world? Clearly not GOT4N. Clearly not.

Tunderous wrote: How would we know if you have a husband? Your gender isnt shown. :mrgreen:
[1:02 AM] Chloë/Adsolution/Krawielicki?: lilith= if she took up any space shed be a waste of it
Shrooblord
Mr Stone
Tings: 67030

Post by Shrooblord »

Adsolution wrote:When Shrooblord was over at my place, he lost 74 lives on Eat At Joe's.
+1

And about 302 back in 2011 when I played the game on my DSi.

To be fair to myself though, the water isn't see-through on the DSi, so you have literally no idea when that fucking fish is coming. xD
need my speed wrote:I was stuck in The Menhir Hills, in Rayman 2, for I didn't understand what to do with those walking shells :P
Amen, says my youngling self playing Rayman 2 and getting equally stuck at that first part.

Even younger me also thought the game ended on the Sanctuary of Stone and Fire; the Hall does seem to end by that tree right there and I guess I'd never actually completed the level, is why I used to think that. :lol:
Play Rayman Arena (PC) online with friends~! (Or here.)
Dart wrote:Sometimes life just comes out of nowhere and demands a lot of your attention.
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102745

Post by PluMGMK »

How could you have got to the Sanctuary of Stone and Fire even younger than when you got stuck in the Menhir Hills? :P
Master
Rayman 1
Tings: 404084

Post by Master »

I'm guessing he couldn't reach the Sanctuary because he was stuck at the Menhir Hills, but its Spiral Door in the Hall of Doors looked like the last one to reach.

Since I played the PS1 version of the game first, I knew that it wouldn't be the end, since there was another Mask Door to unlock after the Sanctuary's Spiral Door.