Rayman 2

Talk about Rayman himself and Rayman games!

Moderator: English moderators

Which version is your favourite?

PC
36%
Nintendo 64
2%
Dreamcast
15%
PlayStation 1
7%
Revolution (PlayStation 2)
37%
Forever (GBC)
1%
DS
1%
iOS
1%
3DS
1%

Total votes: 188

Haruka
Rayman 2
Tings: 178780

Re: Rayman 2

Post by Haruka »

I always thought that the perfect remake of Rayman 2 would be the gathering of the strongest points of the Dreamcast (smooth framerate, smooth controls, extra light effects, exclusive minigames, the Disc minigame cutscene, Globox Village and extra graphical effects [the final fully charged energy sphere blue orbs]), PS1 (the extra dialogs/extra cinematics not included in all the other versions , extra level sections [like that huge area in the Sanctuary of Stone and Fire], Ninjaws and Razorbeard's final battle [much more challenging than in any other version] and probably the Hall of Doors containing the large gates and having the Teensies there talking) and PS2 (just like Drolpiraat mentioned before: the Zombie Henchmen, the pirate installations, more intelligent Henchmen, etc). I think Grolem 13 had potential to have been much better if they invested more thought and time in that part because it was clear everything was rushed. I would have liked to have seen a completely new sanctuary with puzzles involving electrical traps and wind air currents and a different kind of visual (and name because I find it completely out of place). They could have at least changed the head shape instead of making a recolour of Axel doing a grimace. As for the combat they could have made it different too because just like Adsolution pointed out, I also find the combat pretty slow. You repeteadly avoid and shoot things with that slow helicopter and it isn't that fun at all. It is nothing of the like of the combat of Foutch for example, at least it was cool to avoid those flames and lava pits even though it still lacked something else.

The_Real_Razorbeard
Master Kaag
Tings: 4570

Post by The_Real_Razorbeard »

"The Sanctuary of Thunder and Lightning" Maybe? Or perhaps "The Sanctuary of Wind and Clouds."
ImageImageImageImage

Droolie
Oumbr
Tings: 57630

Post by Droolie »

Or "The Sanctuary of Mist and Snow". Mist for mysteriousness, and snow for, well... it sounds good, and I would have liked a snow level! Although this doesn't really fit with Grolem 13 as he is now, we did have two really warm sanctuaries, and only one mildly cold one (until you get inside), so it makes sense that a 4th one -- especially one on top of a mountain -- should be cold too. But perhaps it's best that they never added such a level, as I also think it would have made the Glade feel less coherent as a world.

I agree with Haruka about the potential remake on all counts, except for the puzzles in the potential 4th sanctuary. It's a great idea to include one, but I don't think it should have electrical traps, as the Robo-Pirates have provided quite a lot of those in the rest of the game and I can't imagine how they could make the sanctuary ones stand out well enough from those. Wind currents have also been featured in Beneath the Sanctuary of Rock and Lava enough, and I can't think of anything else (except for changing Beneath to the 4th sanctuary, but then you lose that exciting feeling of flying through tight tunnels of lava), so they would probably have had to implement a new gameplay mechanic for a sanctuary like this. Perhaps they also ran out of ideas or time to implement new stuff, and this is why they just had the 4th mask handed to you by a baby Globox? We'll never know, I guess.

edit > Actually, now that I think about it, this all doesn't make sense story-wise. The guardians and masks were created by Polokus, and they all serve him, and we know that Polokus is as powerless "as a newborn" in the sky, so a sanctuary and guardian in the sky that controls the weather (which is part of the sky rather than the earth) shouldn't exist. So original Rayman 2 makes more sense.

Haruka
Rayman 2
Tings: 178780

Post by Haruka »

The electrical traps and wind currents were merely suggestions, it doesn't mean it really had to be like this. :)
edit > Actually, now that I think about it, this all doesn't make sense story-wise. The guardians and masks were created by Polokus, and they all serve him, and we know that Polokus is as powerless "as a newborn" in the sky, so a sanctuary and guardian in the sky that controls the weather (which is part of the sky rather than the earth) shouldn't exist. So original Rayman 2 makes more sense.

Now that you mention this I think you are right. I never thought about it in this way. But this could bring us to something identical to the Egg problem. Who appeared first? The chicken or the egg? In this situation the question would be: where did Polokus create the guardians? In Earth or in Air? :P

RayCarrot
Uglette
Tings: 25894

Post by RayCarrot »

Haruka wrote: Now that you mention this I think you are right. I never thought about it in this way. But this could bring us to something identical to the Egg problem. Who appeared first? The chicken or the egg? In this situation the question would be: where did Polokus create the guardians? In Earth or in Air? :P
He most likely created them on the ground as his powers don't work in the air. The biggest question here is probably where the fourth sanctuary is meant to be located. I always thought it was inside the mines up in The Iron Mountains, but that the sanctuary had collapsed and that's why a baby Globox found the mask when working in the mine. If this was the case it would mean that the fourth sanctuary, and the fourth guardian, wouldn't have anything to do with the air in terms of its location at least.
Rayman Revolution however changed this entirely as the mask is now found high above The Iron Mountains. The odd thing here is that it's not hidden inside a temple like the other masks. Maybe the mask was moved by the guardian?
I've always thought that the fourth temple should have been wind-related since the three other ones each have their own element like water, rock and fire. However, this was used in Beneath the Sanctuary of Rock and Lava already, so I'm kind of wondering why they didn't just make that the fourth sanctuary instead. That would have made a lot more sense.

The_Real_Razorbeard
Master Kaag

I don't think Snow would really work because we already had the Sanctuary of Water and Ice. Similarly, Earth/Forest theme wouldn't quite fit thanks to the Sanctuary of Stone and Fire. Air/Electricity are the only elements left, although I'll admit, electricity probably shouldn't be utilized too heavily thanks to the pirates themselves covering that pretty well. Perhaps it could focus a lot on platforming with unstable/'crumbling' platforms in the form of clouds? A sanctuary at the top of the Iron Mountains that extends into the sky, perhaps.
ImageImageImageImage

RibShark
Tribelle
Tings: 55

Post by RibShark »

I believe the sanctuaries were originally going to be based off of the four classical elements. You have the Sanctuary of Water and Ice for water already. The Sanctuary of Stone and Fire was originally "The Sanctuary of Lava and Fire", which fits with the fire element. The Sanctuary of Rock and Lava (and Beneath) was originally named "The Sanctuary of Rock and Stone", fitting the earth element. That leaves Wind, which in Revolution, although not having a sanctuary, was represented by Grolem 13. Fitting this theory, I think that if another sanctuary was created, it should be Wind based (maybe using the whirlpools that were introduced in Fairy Glade and never used again?).

Master
Rayman Origins
Tings: 404000

Post by Master »

While it's true Polokus is weak in the air, there's nothing really stopping him from being able to create an airborne Sanctuary by proxy, We know for instance that Clark was used to carve mountains and for basic landscaping, it stands to reason that Polokus could very well dream up entities capable of building a Sanctuary in the air, after all, birds do exist in the Rayman 2 universe.

On the topic of running out of ideas, I vaguely recall folk noting how the Iron Mountains didn't have specific names for its files, and how it seemed to be using files from other levels.

The_Real_Razorbeard
Master Kaag

RibShark wrote:Fitting this theory, I think that if another sanctuary was created, it should be Wind based (maybe using the whirlpools that were introduced in Fairy Glade and never used again?).
That's a really good idea actually. If nothing else there could be one long vertical section in some kind of tornado type thing leading up to the boss. Ooh, here's an idea for a more thematically fitting name for the guardian itself: Ventus, after the 'Venti': Roman deities said to control the wind.
ImageImageImageImage

PluMGMK
Pizzicatta
Tings: 3370

Post by PluMGMK »

Drolpiraat wrote:edit > Actually, now that I think about it, this all doesn't make sense story-wise. The guardians and masks were created by Polokus, and they all serve him, and we know that Polokus is as powerless "as a newborn" in the sky, so a sanctuary and guardian in the sky that controls the weather (which is part of the sky rather than the earth) shouldn't exist. So original Rayman 2 makes more sense.
I made this exact point two years ago. :P
Master wrote:While it's true Polokus is weak in the air, there's nothing really stopping him from being able to create an airborne Sanctuary by proxy, We know for instance that Clark was used to carve mountains and for basic landscaping, it stands to reason that Polokus could very well dream up entities capable of building a Sanctuary in the air, after all, birds do exist in the Rayman 2 universe.
Well, judging from the language used in relation to the guardians and the reason for their existence, it strikes me that he probably couldn't trust anyone else to build a Sanctuary for him.

About the Sanctuary name, I probably should mention that my grandfather came up with "The Sanctuary of Wind and Air" off the top of his head over a decade ago.

And the guardian name? Well, as I understand it the first three were given somewhat onomatopœic names in French, which were then sort-of preserved in English. So a new name should follow that pattern. Something with Fs and WHs I guess.

Master
Rayman Origins

Post by Master »

I'll have to reread the lore, but I'm sure there can be some wriggle room. I'll concede if it's not the case.

The_Real_Razorbeard
Master Kaag

The_Real_Razorbeard wrote:
Adsolution wrote:
Adsolution wrote:bringing back Ninjaws
If they did, they'd have to change up his fight a good deal, certainly at least give him all the capabilities of the Ninja Henchman in the non-PS1 versions of the game. He'd also need an actually unique design, seeing as he's supposed to be the 'leader' of the Ninja Henchmen, rather than just another one.
Decided to try and come up with a new design for Ninjaws myself. Here it is:

ImageImageImageImage

incognito
Électoon
Tings: 0

Post by incognito »

OOOOO. A circular saw, that might do some damage.

The_Real_Razorbeard
Master Kaag

Not a saw; a big-ass shuriken, to go with the whole 'Ninja' thing. The little frame around it just launches it and allows for it to be caught again.
ImageImageImageImage

incognito
Électoon
Tings: 0

Post by incognito »

But with a rotative motor I bet he can make it spin and use it as a chainsaw. ;)

Sabertooth
Joe
Tings: 53315

Post by Sabertooth »

You people are making me so excited for something that isn't getting made. It's like when my parents talked about having a third kid without any intention of following through.
Carrot-master wrote: He most likely created them on the ground as his powers don't work in the air.
But then who made the ground?
BestXIII wrote:The knaarens are very big shitass! :grrrrrr:

Master
Rayman Origins

Post by Master »

The Lums, if memory serves.

gamerz31w
Moustique
Tings: 900

Post by gamerz31w »

did you ever play rayman 2 pirated version when third guardian of polokus's 4 masks?
in sanctuary beneath rock and lava when i was trying to run from foutch he was still beating rayman because of big face of robo pirate

The_Real_Razorbeard
Master Kaag

Think I'm gonna try making my own design for a proper wind/air based Mask Guardian tomorrow. See if I can't think up a good name for 'em while I'm at it. I'll keep ya posted.
ImageImageImageImage