Rayman 2

Talk about Rayman himself and Rayman games!

Moderator: English moderators

Which version is your favourite?

PC
37%
Nintendo 64
3%
Dreamcast
14%
PlayStation 1
8%
Revolution (PlayStation 2)
36%
Forever (GBC)
1%
DS
1%
iOS
1%
3DS
1%

Total votes: 194

dr_st
Garatta Ciatik
Tings: 11340

Re: Rayman 2

Post by dr_st »

ZelenPixel wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:16 pm
ive had enough of that with the sanctuary of rock and lava and that one flower that seems up to luck whether you get a random boost of speed to propel you to the next one or you end up falling just short of it and dying
Yeah, remember that one too. :pascontent:

PluMGMK
Pizzicatta
Tings: 3000

Post by PluMGMK »

dr_st wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:18 am
I think the spinning platform has a bug where one of the switches doesn't attract the shot well enough. Same thing is experienced with the last switch in the sliding part of the Prison Ship. It can always be a bit frustrating and take several tries.
Yep, that switch is definitely programmed to be extra annoying. Perhaps on purpose… If it wasn't for that, the whole sequence would be a pretty neat demonstration of the Coriolis effect!
dr_st wrote:
My worst experience collecting yellow lums is also the sliding part of the Prison Ship, namely the very last part where you have to slide around the hole, collect the lums, then jump in. If you miss a lum, and hit the wall, you can sometimes lose enough velocity and be dragged into the hole without the ability to escape, and then of course you have to replay the entire level to get what you missed. Happened to me a few times and is pretty annoying.
That always used to happen to me! Eventually I realized that I needed to relax, and not push too hard to get them all…
Master wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:43 am
I'd consider Stone and Fire to be the more irritating, particularly that final segment in the other temple with the Walking Shell, to this day I don't think I've ever managed that in one go.
Yep, that one's really difficult. They knew it too, since they put in all those regenerating Red Lums in the loop-the-loop to make sure you never get a Try Again. I almost never get through that without at least three deaths (enough to burn up the lovely shiny Goldfist you get at the spider fight just before!).

Master
Rayman Origins
Tings: 404185

Post by Master »

Oh yeah, burning up that Goldfist drove me insane, it taunts you with every failure, counting down before it vanishes. And yeah, really did appreciate those red lums, having to restart that level would be incredibly annoying.

ZelenPixel
Boomboleros
Tings: 1645

Post by ZelenPixel »

i remember stone and fire irritating me a lot but i dont even remember why anymore
oh i looked my reactions to it up and oh right. the plum riding i think. i hated that! probably also because i play on keyboard though! seems like r3 is better designed for keyboard users lmao. anyway those secrets also are just ???? why do you have to ride a plum on lava all the way to some spot only to find a huge room with one robo donkey kong which you can plop a plum on to get like. one cage and thats it. why make me do all this for one cage
still cant find a good sig so i guess im reusing the one i have on mario boards

dr_st
Garatta Ciatik

Post by dr_st »

The thing about Rayman 2 is that, since on repeat playthroughs you only have to collect whatever lums/cages you missed, these repeat playthroughs become much easier. Like, the entire "Wrong Temple" section of The Sanctuary of Stone and Fire can be skipped, unless you missed some things there.

Rayman 2 and 3 are equally fine (or not fine, depending on your prowess) with the keyboard. The default, non-configurable key assignment of Rayman 2 can take some time to get used to, though.

ZelenPixel
Boomboleros

Post by ZelenPixel »

i just havent had any issues with r3's keyboard controls whereas i Did with r2 so thats why i assumed so
either the thing with not being able to have more than 2 inputs or the inability to have smooth angles cause im not using a control stick

dr_st
Garatta Ciatik

Post by dr_st »

If your keyboard is bad and jams when multiple keys are pressed, that will be an issue. If the specific key combinations that jam happen to be those that Rayman 2 uses, you can have a bad time indeed.

Anecdote: my first Rayman 3 playthrough, back in 2003, was using a horrible laptop keyboard that often jammed on diagonals + strafe + fire. It wasn't easy but I managed to beat it that way.

ZelenPixel
Boomboleros

Post by ZelenPixel »

i wouldnt say my keyboard is bad at all its lasted me years with little to no errors
i tested and it seems like it can just only handle 3 inputs at most, and any more just dont work. i know i cant fast swim in origins diagonally and attack at the same time, and i just checked spore and i couldnt sneak (z) if i walked diagonally (w and d) while holding shift. z just did nothing while it Did without holding shift if that makes any sense
..so now im not too sure why i had trouble with that in that laser section if it Was 3 inputs at once at most (w, a/d and k) but it stinks even without keyboard problems either way

Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 559639

Post by Hunchman801 »

Steo wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:56 pm
I've had the same issues with the ship's hitbox when I first played, it took me a while to realise what I was supposed to do.
Yeah, that's the only part of the level I remember having problems with. The rest was pretty easy compared to the shell and plum-riding sections of the Sanctuary of Stone and Fire.
dr_st wrote:
My worst experience collecting yellow lums is also the sliding part of the Prison Ship, namely the very last part where you have to slide around the hole, collect the lums, then jump in. If you miss a lum, and hit the wall, you can sometimes lose enough velocity and be dragged into the hole without the ability to escape, and then of course you have to replay the entire level to get what you missed. Happened to me a few times and is pretty annoying.
I remember this happening to me more than once, too.
ZelenPixel wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:01 pm
anyway those secrets also are just ???? why do you have to ride a plum on lava all the way to some spot only to find a huge room with one robo donkey kong which you can plop a plum on to get like. one cage and thats it. why make me do all this for one cage
I actually loved exploring that level to find all the secrets. Still my favorite to this day, despite the hard parts.
ZelenPixel wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:16 pm
not helped by the fact that my keyboard or the game seemingly cant register 3 inputs at once(shift/ctrl and maybe space are exempt for this) so i cant just walk diagonally and attack
We all got that problem too, the only solution is to go for an NKRO (n-key rollover) keyboard.

PluMGMK
Pizzicatta
Tings: 3000

Post by PluMGMK »

Just don't get one with sharp edges that could smash your monitor if you accidentally knock it over! :fou2:

dr_st
Garatta Ciatik

Post by dr_st »

Hunchman801 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 7:33 pm
We all got that problem too, the only solution is to go for an NKRO (n-key rollover) keyboard.
That's the only fail-safe solution, but in practice, there are plenty of keyboards out there which are technically 2KRO (as some 3-key combos jam), but for most of the common combinations they can detect 3 or 4 or even 5 keys at the same time (which is sufficient for a single player experience).

Laptop keyboards tend to be especially awful, though.

Aaron
Froutch
Tings: 66603

Post by Aaron »

So first, some context.
There's a guy who has a YouTube channel under the name "Robin", who I think you should definitely check out because his channel is all about Rayman and uploads videos of interesting stuff in the Rayman series (including unused content in the Rayman games and what-not).

Since I'm subscribed to him, I saw that he just uploaded a new video on one of these unused content.

Droolie
Oumbr
Tings: 57640

Post by Droolie »

Robin is the co-developer of Raymap and also just a really cool guy. The content he posts on his channel is also really interesting - I especially recommend checking out his GLM explanation video.

Lately we've been working on adding Rayman 2 PS1 support to Raymap which has led to multiple findings like these.

Just this week we got animations working: https://streamable.com/sy2n4l

We discovered other things as well, like the metallic Ssssam - but he's giant, as big as the grolgoth:

Or Polokus's cauldron:
For reference:
(Robin also noticed that this beta design is exactly like the one in the Japanese version of Rayman Revolution... I hope that doesn't imply the other character designs in that version were early versions of their normal designs)

Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 559639

Post by Hunchman801 »

Are there no caterpillars at all in the PlayStation version, or is it just the red ones?

Anyway, nice stuff! Just be sure to add your images as attachments though, so as to avoid them being lost in oblivion like half of the pictures here. :P

Master
Rayman Origins
Tings: 404185

Post by Master »

My memory is pretty rusty I admit, but I'm pretty sure caterpillars showed up in the PS1 version, I remember getting a Try Again to the lot next to the Sphere Door in The Cave of Bad Dreams as a kid.

Huh, that's awesome, never thought that Metallic Ssssam ever got into the game itself in any form.

#Rubber mark#
Bétilla
Tings: 82376

Post by #Rubber mark# »

Aaron wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 7:26 pm
There's a guy who has a YouTube channel under the name "Robin", who I think you should definitely check out because his channel is all about Rayman and uploads videos of interesting stuff in the Rayman series (including unused content in the Rayman games and what-not).
I love his content too, especially the Hall of Doors thing! 🤗 Robin is bunnieblaster here by the way.

Steo
Globox Origins
Tings: 127595

Post by Steo »

I never knew this was Robin. :o
GLOBOX MOMENT!
FC: 40210 | CF: 103059 | BOM: 94388 | LOTLD: 120486 | DOTK: 110450 | LS: 40810 | SBTC: 99693 | HH: 100028 | TOTL: 100563

TOTAL: 809687

StelzenBomber
Murray
Tings: 20892

Post by StelzenBomber »

apearently all of Rayman DS music is leftover in rayman 3d, i think the wiki should mention that

and the hall of doors in the DS version is different in the US and EU in r ayman ds for some reason

The Jonster
Magicien
Tings: 75505

Post by The Jonster »

StelzenBomber wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 12:14 pm
and the hall of doors in the DS version is different in the US and EU in r ayman ds for some reason
What does the hall of doors in the EU version of Rayman DS look like, out of curiosity?
Life happens. Just gotta roll with it!
Steo wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:05 pm

^ reminds me of mixing up directions and breaking the forum. :lol:

Steo
Globox Origins
Tings: 127595

Post by Steo »

I thought they looked the same, I think he's just referring to the music.
GLOBOX MOMENT!
FC: 40210 | CF: 103059 | BOM: 94388 | LOTLD: 120486 | DOTK: 110450 | LS: 40810 | SBTC: 99693 | HH: 100028 | TOTL: 100563

TOTAL: 809687