Rayman 2

For discussions about the Rayman series.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.

Which version is your favourite?

PC
36%
Nintendo 64
6%
Dreamcast
16%
PlayStation 1
7%
Revolution (PlayStation 2)
32%
Forever (GBC)
1%
DS
1%
iOS
0%
3DS
1%

Total votes: 264

Shrooblord
Mr Stone
Tings: 67030

Re: Rayman 2

Post by Shrooblord »

Wiiola wrote:(regarding Polish characters)?
You mean letters and such? They shouldn't have; I have Polish letters among my font files too.

And hi, Wiiola! Long time no see. :D
Play Rayman Arena (PC) online with friends~! (Or here.)
Dart wrote:Sometimes life just comes out of nowhere and demands a lot of your attention.
Wiiola
Homme de Pierre
Tings: 2115

Post by Wiiola »

Yeah, I meant the in-game font(s?).
Then I have no idea why that build is different from the others...

Hi there! It sure has been a while...

Could you please remind me if we ever came to conclusion about whether Rayman 3 uses updated version of Rayman M/Arena's engine, which is an updated version of Rayman 2's, or not? Or how the things went?
Shrooblord
Mr Stone

Post by Shrooblord »

I'd like to, but I didn't follow the topic so well myself. Try this thread and see if you find any answers.
Dart wrote:Sometimes life just comes out of nowhere and demands a lot of your attention.
Wiiola
Homme de Pierre

Post by Wiiola »

Alrighty. I'll do that later, though.
Thanks for the tip!
Droolie
Mr Sax
Tings: 61830

Post by Droolie »

Wiiola wrote:Could you please remind me if we ever came to conclusion about whether Rayman 3 uses updated version of Rayman M/Arena's engine, which is an updated version of Rayman 2's, or not? Or how the things went?
Yes, Rayman 3 and Rayman M/Arena definitely use the same engine, with some minor differences. It is an updated version of the Rayman 2 (& Donald Duck: Quack Attack) engine, which is an updated version of the Tonic Trouble engine itself.
Shrooblord
Mr Stone

Post by Shrooblord »

Oh yeah, TT was the prototype to Rayman 2's engine. I remember now. That's still a game I need to pick up some time.
saerleiya
Premier Grand Mini
Tings: 5782

Post by saerleiya »

Oh, by the way, Motormike is talking about it in The History of Rayman (the fact that TT's engine was the base of R2's one). Ubisoft picked up the engine, threw everything which wasn't very important in it, gave it a few improvements, and now it is R2's engine :D.
Adsolution wrote:
saerleiya wrote:RayFag'
Aahh, you're exposing my Rule34 account.
Wiiola
Homme de Pierre

Post by Wiiola »

Thanks for the info!

I think that PK (AKA [Disney's Donald Duck] PK: {Out of the shadows}) runs on an engine that seems to be similar to the one Rayman Arena runs on (with some tweaks that are similar to those from Rayman 3) - Donald controls very closely to any character from that multiplayer game, but you have to keep pressing the jump button mid-air to break the fall, he also takes falling damage when falling from bigger heights (and in order to swing like a character from Rayman Arena would when using a purple lum, the attack button must be pressed for the duration of the action).
Not to mention how he gets a second costume in the penultimate stage that you can change at whim - which I think you shouldn't be able to, TBH, unless to make things harder for you in that one stage. You'd still have to use it there, as it gives an ability that's otherwise unavailable. Besides, I don't think the normal costume would work well in the last boss battle.

The leftover strings of data in FIX.LVL, like “Action_AppelerMurphy Action_TransePolochus (…) Action_BebeGlobox_1 Action_BebeGlobox_2”, that I reckon being in Rayman M and Rayman 3 (not sure 'bout Rayman 2 but I guess they would be there too, especially with Polokus present? They're at least in PS2 versions of all three games - 2 Rayman ones and the PK one), or the existence of files called TRIBE.TXT and TRIBE.DEF, that are associated more with one of the modes from Rayman M/Arena, sure seem to suggest that, too...

What do you think?
Haruka
Sandra Misu
Tings: 178780

Post by Haruka »

Howdy, Wiiola! Its since a while!

Now that's an odd problem with Rayman 2. Fortunately it works more than fine in Windows 7.
Wiiola
Homme de Pierre

Post by Wiiola »

Hi! I have to agree with you!

And it works like a charm in Windows 8, too!
It was just something I discovered while I was messing around.
That 'problem' affects only the loading screens during the loading time and doesn't affect the gameplay at all (unless you do that multiple times - then the sound card gave up for me and I had to play the game as if it were muted. Closing and starting the app again fixes everything).

I also checked if I'd get the Pirate head error that I recalled being an issue for some players - nothing like that happened.
Shrooblord
Mr Stone

Post by Shrooblord »

Wait, there's Polokus files in one of Rayman M's code files? Is this lazy dev-porting, or was he supposed to be a character at some point? :o
saerleiya
Premier Grand Mini

Post by saerleiya »

Wiiola wrote: I think that PK (AKA [Disney's Donald Duck] PK: {Out of the shadows}) runs on an engine that seems to be similar to the one Rayman Arena runs on (with some tweaks that are similar to those from Rayman 3) - Donald controls very closely to any character from that multiplayer game, but you have to keep pressing the jump button mid-air to break the fall, he also takes falling damage when falling from bigger heights (and in order to swing like a character from Rayman Arena would when using a purple lum, the attack button must be pressed for the duration of the action).
Many engines are similar. But it's not only because games have similar mechanics that they use similar engines.
I know PK, I played it but it was around 8/9 years ago: Donald has a fall-slowing with his weapon, but it gives way less movement than Rayman's helicopter. Donald is also heavier in his movements and straffign is harder against enemies. The camera moves less fluently too. in my memories.
Wiiola wrote:Besides, I don't think the normal costume would work well in the last boss battle.
Freaking final boss OP and super stylish. Too bad this game was so short, and maybe lacking balance between action and exploration. It could have been so much more. But considering where it came from (not a lot of comics around Powerduck at the beginning) it's still a good one.
Shrooblord wrote:Wait, there's Polokus files in one of Rayman M's code files? Is this lazy dev-porting, or was he supposed to be a character at some point? :o
Dunno. The book says nothing about that. But hey, it says nothing about the hidden trailer of Yamakasi either :P.
Adsolution wrote:
Shrooblord
Mr Stone

Post by Shrooblord »

I see this book is quickly turning into saerleiya's Bible of Ramen.
saerleiya
Premier Grand Mini

Post by saerleiya »

Shrooblord wrote:I see this book is quickly turning into saerleiya's Bible of Ramen.
It's a nice concentrate of everything about Ramen, I'd say. Of course, ther are not talking abotu that Polokus, but they are about the cancelled RL version of "I'm sexy and I know it" from LMFAO. I'd like to listen to it, it's called "I'm Teensie and I love it" if I remember.
Adsolution wrote:
Haruka
Sandra Misu
Tings: 178780

Post by Haruka »

Oh that's an interesting trivia. Though that I struggle to imagine the song working for a music level.
Wiiola
Homme de Pierre

Post by Wiiola »

saerleiya wrote: Many engines are similar. But it's not only because games have similar mechanics that they use similar engines.
I know PK, I played it but it was around 8/9 years ago: Donald has a fall-slowing with his weapon, but it gives way less movement than Rayman's helicopter. Donald is also heavier in his movements and straffign is harder against enemies. The camera moves less fluently too. in my memories.
Maybe it depends on the console version? I tried playing the Gamecube one, too (which seems to be a lot more polished, what with better graphics in the menu, better shading effects overall, less hit points for weaker enemies, etc.).
I have to agree, he does feel heavier, and the camera isn't as fluid either, though. So it doesn't have to be the same engine?
saerleiya wrote: Freaking final boss OP and super stylish. Too bad this game was so short, and maybe lacking balance between action and exploration. It could have been so much more. But considering where it came from (not a lot of comics around Powerduck at the beginning) it's still a good one.
Agreed with you. The game had so much more potential, had it been based more on the PKNA even (which was originally run in 1996-2001, along with its successor, PK2, which ran from 2001 to 2002) - now that would make for something epic, instead of going for a half-cooked idea based on a scrapped prologue for what would eventually become Pikappa (and first 13-20 issues were translated to Superduck in English).
Maybe they tried to prepare some sort of target audience for the comics that got released in country of origin (Italy) for eventual translation? Even if that were the case, that didn't go well.
Also, I dunno about you, but I think they could literally go for anything else, not necessarily the PKNA branch of the PK setting, since there's loads of material with Donald as a hero (which I prefer to call Superduck, after the British English translations). After all, since 1969, there's been a big amount of material they could try to adapt into game format, or just use as inspiration (such as what I call the Dr. Brain two parter, that could include a third different story with time travel).
I'm glad they didn't try to create the game based on a story, where he was originally called the Duck Avenger (and was the only story of American origin with him as the hero). Now that would be an even bigger mistake IMO.
saerleiya wrote:
Shrooblord wrote:Wait, there's Polokus files in one of Rayman M's code files? Is this lazy dev-porting, or was he supposed to be a character at some point? :o
Dunno. The book says nothing about that. But hey, it says nothing about the hidden trailer of Yamakasi either :P.
I found the line in the PS2 version of the game. Dunno if it's in other versions too, but that's possible. Also, I doubt it would even work, so I'm gonna write it off as leftover data that nobody bothered to clean up.
iHeckler9
Chasseur
Tings: 1830

Post by iHeckler9 »

One thing that's been bothering me for a while: In Revolution, when you first meet Clark, the back of his shirt is already ripped open and there's a distinctive mark there, like the control device was already on him. Does this happen in other versions of the game or did the designers just get lazy?
Current Rank: Jumping Eye. "AH GOD I DROPPED MY CONTACT LENS AGAIN"
A recent survey shows that 1 in 4 people are mentally unstable.
Check your friends, if they say 'no', it must be you... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :fou: :mrgreen:
bunnieblaster
Master Kaag
Tings: 6995

Post by bunnieblaster »

Happens in all versions, probably they got lazy or it was technical limitations or maybe some last-minute change.
saerleiya
Premier Grand Mini

Post by saerleiya »

bunnieblaster wrote:technical limitations
This. Two textures for the exact same character. Every single R2 character has only one texture/look and it doesn't change during the entire game. Clark is an exception because his state changes during the game because of the device.
Wiiola wrote:So it doesn't have to be the same engine?
Meh, if Ubisoft chose to develop a new one specifically for PK, then why not? But you are probably right. The issue was I didn't know Pk was created by Ubisoft when I I answered you back then XD...
Wiiola wrote:Agreed with you. The game had so much more potential, had it been based more on the PKNA even (which was originally run in 1996-2001, along with its successor, PK2, which ran from 2001 to 2002) - now that would make for something epic, instead of going for a half-cooked idea based on a scrapped prologue for what would eventually become Pikappa (and first 13-20 issues were translated to Superduck in English).
I actually discovered PK with the Pikappa version (only the first three issues though, I wasn't the one buying "Super Giant Scrooge" at that time, the French magazine for Donald, Mickey and co). First two were great, but the design change in the third one caught me a bit off-guard, plus the plot hadn't anything related to Evronians, which was a bit disturbing for a 10 year-old kid (but I liked the story with the 'clone'). Well, maybe I should buy all the issues at some point, it's probably one of the few comic series about Disney characters that I like (and Dimension M, maybe).

What's sure is that i don't know as much about all Donald adventures as you do: I didn't know there were series on PK before the Pikappa one :).
Adsolution wrote:
Shrooblord
Mr Stone

Post by Shrooblord »

On the PC version, you can see Clark's eyes blink with the 'crazy eyes' that he has in The Tomb of the Ancients ocassionally, too.