Rayman (kinda) confirmed for Smash Bros. - VOTE Rayman

For discussions about the Rayman series.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
sonicbrawler182
Barbara
Tings: 11810

Re: Rayman (kinda) confirmed for Smash Bros.

Post by sonicbrawler182 »

JamesDNaux wrote:Rayman would also shut up the people who say "But this character wasn't made in Japan!"

I don't think Rayman would kill Gematsu, since Sal never leaked Rosalina and he's got all but three of the characters he "predicted" confirmed. Though it will be satisfying to see all the people who expect Shulk today to be scrambling for excuses.
Greninja and Villager don't count, as he had incredibly vague descriptions that literally could have been ANY character from those respective games. Plus, most of his predictions were incredibly safe ones that half of the Smash speculators would have thought of (even Mega Man was a safe bet since it was known that Sakurai wanted a Capcom character in the game).

The only character on the Gematsu list that is completely unpredictable to me is Chorus Men. While Wii Fit Trainer is pretty random, she/he makes more sense when you remember Wii Fit was a hugely successful game, so everyone recognises the trainer.

And at the end of the day, missing one character who was a pretty big deal and part of Nintendo's flagship franchise (Rosalina) and not having any evidence that the information is actually coming from the inside, is enough for me to heavily doubt it as is.

In any case, the Rayman pic has me in a state of...

Last edited by sonicbrawler182 on Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please check out my YouTube channel, specifically my Sonic Lost World "Talkthrough"!

"And that's how Mama became the most OP character in every game she appeared in!"
Rayfist
Sandra Misu
Tings: 176605

Post by Rayfist »

Guys remember... There's a new character announcement later today.... ;) keep your eyes WIDE open
Steam PSN Youtube
Follow me on Twitter
Imco wrote:+ I just beat the hell out of my sister. That was great :D
sonicbrawler182
Barbara

Oh god, I just realised...

If Rayman is confirmed, then they just HAVE to make Rabbids enemies in Smash Run.
Please check out my YouTube channel, specifically my Sonic Lost World "Talkthrough"!

"And that's how Mama became the most OP character in every game she appeared in!"
DandyGuy
Ptizêtre Ermite
Tings: 1772

Post by DandyGuy »

ALL ABROAD THE HYPE TRAIN
Rayfist
Sandra Misu

Post by Rayfist »

I'd rather see the antitoons as an enemy in Smash Run
Steam PSN Youtube
Follow me on Twitter
JamesDNaux
Bébé Globox
Tings: 615

Post by JamesDNaux »

sonicbrawler182 wrote:Greninja and Villager don't count, as he had incredibly vague descriptions that literally could have been ANY character from those respective games. Plus, most of his predictions were incredibly safe ones that half of the Smash speculators would have thought of (even Mega Man was a safe bet since it was known that Sakurai wanted a Capcom character in the game).

The only character on the Gematsu list that is completely unpredictable to me is Chorus Men. While Wii Fit Trainer is pretty random, she/he makes more sense when you remember Wii Fit was a hugely successful game, so everyone recognises the trainer.

And at the end of the day, missing one character who was a pretty big deal and part of Nintendo's flagship franchise (Rosalina) and not having any evidence that the information is actually coming from the inside, is enough for me to heavily doubt it as is.

Oh trust me, I've been fighting this leak from the very beginning, but the speculative scene has nailed in the point that it's stupid to think he just guessed them all.

Rayman being revealed today would not only make me insanely happy, it would also discredit the leak more, as Sal Romano just posted recently.
"My source sent me another email, 'I hope you'll like my friend shulk'" *not an exact quote.
Rayfist
Sandra Misu

Post by Rayfist »

You know what.... I'm gonna bet my chances.... Rayman will likely be announced for Smash Bros. I'm of course prepared in case he doesn't but if he does... oh god. I'm placing my bets now that it's likely going to happen. Anyone else?
Steam PSN Youtube
Follow me on Twitter
sonicbrawler182
Barbara

JamesDNaux wrote:
sonicbrawler182 wrote:Greninja and Villager don't count, as he had incredibly vague descriptions that literally could have been ANY character from those respective games. Plus, most of his predictions were incredibly safe ones that half of the Smash speculators would have thought of (even Mega Man was a safe bet since it was known that Sakurai wanted a Capcom character in the game).

Oh trust me, I've been fighting this leak from the very beginning, but the speculative scene has nailed in the point that it's stupid to think he just guessed them all.

Rayman being revealed today would not only make me insanely happy, it would also discredit the leak more, as Sal Romano just posted recently.
"My source sent me another email, 'I hope you'll like my friend shulk'" *not an exact quote.
But the speculative scene also STILL hold onto Ridley being playable, even though he was teased as a boss character in the Smash Direct. :V
Rayfist wrote:You know what.... I'm gonna bet my chances.... Rayman will likely be announced for Smash Bros. I'm of course prepared in case he doesn't but if he does... oh god. I'm placing my bets now that it's likely going to happen. Anyone else?
I don't want to get TOO hopeful. But I do find it odd that Sakurai would go out of his way to include him as a trophy if it didn't mean something bigger, since there would be a bit of a process to go through to get him in the game. Licensing and such.

It's also worth noting that Nintendo published Legends in Japan.
Last edited by sonicbrawler182 on Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DandyGuy
Ptizêtre Ermite
Tings: 1772

Post by DandyGuy »

Rayfist wrote:You know what.... I'm gonna bet my chances.... Rayman will likely be announced for Smash Bros. I'm of course prepared in case he doesn't but if he does... oh god. I'm placing my bets now that it's likely going to happen. Anyone else?
I got 500 tings he gets announced.
JamesDNaux
Bébé Globox

Post by JamesDNaux »

sonicbrawler182 wrote:But the speculative scene also STILL hold onto Ridley being playable, even though he was teased as a boss character in the Smash Direct. :V
Oi mate, don't get me started. If Ridley were a boss, Sakurai had no reason NOT to show him. There was only a shadow there, and Sakurai is known to screw with us, "Zero Suit Samus will not be in this Smash Bros." indeed.
Master
Rayman 1
Tings: 404084

Post by Master »

I see the KYM Smash base is working on stuff too:
sonicbrawler182
Barbara

JamesDNaux wrote:
sonicbrawler182 wrote:But the speculative scene also STILL hold onto Ridley being playable, even though he was teased as a boss character in the Smash Direct. :V
Oi mate, don't get me started. If Ridley were a boss, Sakurai had no reason NOT to show him. There was only a shadow there, and Sakurai is known to screw with us, "Zero Suit Samus will not be in this Smash Bros." indeed.
But he was a boss in Brawl.....twice.

I figure he would be added in Brawl if he was realistically plausible.

And I could argue that the Zero Suit Samus thing is proof enough that Sakurai is willing to screw with Metroid fans, and is just teasing Ridley for the hell of it at this point! :P

JamesDNaux
Bébé Globox

Post by JamesDNaux »

sonicbrawler182 wrote:
JamesDNaux wrote:
But he was a boss in Brawl.....twice.

I figure he would be added in Brawl if he was realistically plausible.

And I could argue that the Zero Suit Samus thing is proof enough that Sakurai is willing to screw with Metroid fans, and is just teasing Ridley for the hell of it at this point! :P
But Little Mac was an assist trophy in Brawl. :P

Sakurai knows about Ridley's demand, so it really would be a dick move to make him a boss again. He apparently didn't think about it until after Brawl.
sonicbrawler182
Barbara

He also said himself that Ridley would be too big, and extremely difficult to work into fighter form.

I honestly don't see why people particularly want him to be sized down and made playable. Giant characters should really be bosses. It's about as cool a role as a playable fighter, and it doesn't compromise one of their defining traits.

JamesDNaux
Bébé Globox

Post by JamesDNaux »

sonicbrawler182 wrote:He also said himself that Ridley would be too big, and extremely difficult to work into fighter form.

I honestly don't see why people particularly want him to be sized down and made playable. Giant characters should really be bosses. It's about as cool a role as a playable fighter, and it doesn't compromise one of their defining traits.
He never said he would be extremely difficult, he said "He might be a little slow, is that ok? [laughs]"

And if Olimar, who is canonically the size of a quarter, can be upscaled, then Ridley can certainly be downscaled. Ridley being "too big" is just a construction of trolls who hate him and enjoy relentlessly taunting fans. If giant characters should be bosses, then by all means take out Bowser, since he's been far larger than Ridley before.
sonicbrawler182
Barbara

JamesDNaux wrote:
sonicbrawler182 wrote:He also said himself that Ridley would be too big, and extremely difficult to work into fighter form.

He never said he would be extremely difficult, he said "He might be a little slow, is that ok? [laughs]"

And if Olimar, who is canonically the size of a quarter, can be upscaled, then Ridley can certainly be downscaled. Ridley being "too big" is just a construction of trolls who hate him and enjoy relentlessly taunting fans. If giant characters should be bosses, then by all means take out Bowser, since he's been far larger than Ridley before.
Olimar has no character from his series to come with him that is proportionally different, so sizing him up doesn't look weird, since we're normally not supposed to see him next to other characters of say, Mario's size. Similarly, although Kirby is scaled up a ton, Dedede and Meta Knight were too - except their sizes still are consistent to their own games, relative to each other.

Ridley, compared to Samus, is a giant. To make him anything but that next to Samus would look wrong. Although Ridley wasn't that big in the original Metroid, that was due to NES limitations, nothing more.

The beauty of Smash size liberties is that they are supposed to make you question if the small characters are being sized up - or if the bigger/human sized ones are being sized down, and maybe the stages themselves are actually just small. Sizing Ridley down would throw a wrench into that, and he'd look really off next to Samus, especially since Sakurai has already represented Ridley at a close to canon size in Brawl - not only would sizing Ridley down as a playable character look proportionally weird to Metroid fans, it would also look proportionally weird to SMASH BROS fans:

Also, you are omitting the first half of Sakurai's quote:
Sakurai: I think that would probably be pretty impossible. [Laughs] If we had put our best efforts into it, we may have been able to do it. But he might have been a little slow. Would that be all right? [Laughs]
And while Bowser has been huge before, he's also been seen kart racing at a more moderate size. When Bowser is gigantic, it's due to some form of transformation. Even in Galaxy 2, he says "Whoa, I'm huge!" in the game's opening, as if surprised by the fact, which indicates he normally isn't huge.

I have nothing against Ridley nor am I trolling. I just genuinely think he's too big, and sizing him down would remove one of the few things that makes him such an imposing, threatening looking character. A boss role is perfectly dignified, since you'd still see him and interact with him a lot.
Last edited by sonicbrawler182 on Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JamesDNaux
Bébé Globox

Post by JamesDNaux »

And you're ignoring tons of evidence that Ridley can work. In any case, if you need an example of characters from the same franchise being sized wrong, Ganondorf is twice Link's height in the Zelda games, yet he's only a head or so taller in Smash. He should be far larger than he is if he were to be accurate.

Ridley has also been shown at a reasonable size, unless we're going to ignore Melee's opening, or the very first Metroid where he was barely bigger than Samus.
sonicbrawler182
Barbara

Ganondorf's canon size is 7'6", according to Hyrule Historia. His size in Smash relative to Link (who is canonically 5'7" as an adult, in Ocarina of Time - verifiable at the Lake Hylia lab by using the iron boots in the water tank) matches up with that pretty closely, and since Rosalina is even taller than that in Galaxy (7'7"), Link's size relative to Rosalina in Smash 4 is looking to be just as consistent with that notion too, since she even dwarfs Samus in Smash (which she would in canon).

JamesDNaux
Bébé Globox

Post by JamesDNaux »

sonicbrawler182 wrote:Ganondorf's canon size is 7'6", according to Hyrule Historia. His size in Smash relative to Link (who is canonically 5'7" as an adult, in Ocarina of Time - verifiable at the Lake Hylia lab by using the iron boots in the water tank) matches up with that pretty closely, and since Rosalina is even taller than that in Galaxy (7'7"), Link's size relative to Rosalina in Smash 4 is looking to be just as consistent with that notion too, since she even dwarfs Samus in Smash (which she would in canon).
In-game models dispute that claim, Link can blow Ganondorf without even bending over. I don't really feel like going on about Ridley, it was old years ago, we won't know until he's actually shown in the game. Either way, the Toon Link on the train thing should show that just a shadow popping up isn't a confirmation of anything.
sonicbrawler182
Barbara

And again, Ganondorf is like Bowser in that he has varied in size. The Smash sizes reference the Ocarina of Time canon sizes quite well. So it's not a good comparison.