Rayman Adventures

Talk about Rayman himself and Rayman games!

Moderator: English moderators

Sabertooth
Joe
Posts: 5020
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:15 am
Location: Probably somewhere
Contact:
Tings: 53315

Re: Rayman Adventures

Post by Sabertooth »

Adventures's levels are good for what they are, but they're a bit shallow and unambitious. Most of them are straight-forward, linear and geared toward only one style of gameplay--beat the enemies, collect the lums, get to the end quickly. The levels go for instant gratification instead of innovation and creativity. The best levels in the game by far are the Teensie-seeking levels, because you're encouraged to explore, take your time, and discover secrets rather than the typical mobile game approach of GRAB ALL THE LUMZ HOLY SHIT WHACK THAT PILE OF ENEMIES YEAH BABY POOOIINNTTTSSZSZSZS
BestXIII wrote:The knaarens are very big shitass! :grrrrrr:

Bionichute
Glombrox
Posts: 948
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:02 am
Tings: 12145

Re: Rayman Adventures

Post by Bionichute »

Well... it is an IOS game. You can't really do too much with that compared to console gaming.
Image

Bradandez
Globox
Posts: 18589
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:50 am
Tings: 137530

Re: Rayman Adventures

Post by Bradandez »

I rather enjoy the Brawl levels the most because destroying enemies is so satisfying and a lot of fun. Speak for yourself, mate. And of course levels are gonna be linear, it's a mobile game. You're judging this game as something it isn't.

Lochy
Ptizêtre Femme
Posts: 357
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:20 pm
Location: New Glade City
Tings: 1985

Re: Rayman Adventures

Post by Lochy »

To me its suppose to be a game that you can pick up and play for a bit, then put down.
Image

Bradandez
Globox
Posts: 18589
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:50 am
Tings: 137530

Re: Rayman Adventures

Post by Bradandez »

Exactly. If you expected full length levels like you described, you are an effin' tard. This is a game designed for small helpings, it's a full fledged experience.

Also, is it only me or have the option to buy the new costumes disappeared? I still have my Amazonia costume, but I can't buy or view the other new costumes.

Rulez
Robot
Posts: 14839
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:38 pm
Location: Poland
Contact:
Tings: 2285

Re: Rayman Adventures

Post by Rulez »

Bradandez wrote:Also, is it only me or have the option to buy the new costumes disappeared? I still have my Amazonia costume, but I can't buy or view the other new costumes.
Indeed, they're gone!

Bionichute
Glombrox
Posts: 948
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:02 am
Tings: 12145

Re: Rayman Adventures

Post by Bionichute »

Told you you should have gotten pictures of the rest of them. Who knows how long it will be til they get put back up.
Image

Bradandez
Globox
Posts: 18589
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:50 am
Tings: 137530

Re: Rayman Adventures

Post by Bradandez »

Bionichute wrote:Told you you should have gotten pictures of the rest of them. Who knows how long it will be til they get put back up.
Like I give a rat's ass about the other costumes. I'm lucky that I got the best one, Amazonia. I can get those other costumes later.

sergiomonty
Antitoon
Posts: 3728
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:21 pm
Tings: 0

Re: Rayman Adventures

Post by sergiomonty »

I must say though, the levels of the Wild Wild East are incredibly inventive, and the artstyle for those is pretty great! Oh, and the enemies, even though I dislike their designs a lot, are pretty unique, and not just simple redesigns for Lividstones and Toads.
That guy has a badoo account too. :lol: -Harpic fraîcheur

Sergaymonty~

Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Posts: 77884
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:50 pm
Location: Paris, France
Contact:
Tings: 557262

Re: Rayman Adventures

Post by Hunchman801 »

I hadn't played the game since the update broke it, but it works now so I'll be able to play the new levels and collect the new creatures. I'm changing phone tonight though so fingers crossed I'll be able to recover my data.

As for the new enemies that seem to have sparked controversy, I don't really like them much. Pop culture doesn't belong in Rayman's universe, and some demon-like creatures would have been a better idea. But come on, racism? Anyone who's used that word, do me a favour and open a dictionary. Wait, I'll even do it for you:
1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human racial groups determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to dominate others or that a particular racial group is inferior to the others.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.
You don't see how any of these definitions apply to the new enemies? Well, me neither, and that's because you're wrong as fuck.

The word you're looking for is stereotype. Yet here, this is less of an Asian stereotype than an Asian martial artist stereotype. The haircut seems to be based on Bruce Lee's. The costumes too. They wield swords, well yeah they're martial artists. They don't even have buck teeth, they just have big ugly teeth, like most cartoon characters and plenty of other enemies in the game, like toads. So what's left that's part of the Asian stereotype? Nothing besides the squinty eyes and the conical hat, really. And guess what? Well, Asians have an epicanthic fold, and conical hats are a thing in East and South Asia. How's that even bad to depict them in a cartoonish way?
Bionichute wrote:I know for a fact that this wasn't done out of malice, French people are apparently racist against basically everyone that isn't French, but whenever I played one of those levels, it just felt wrong and bad.
That's the stupidest thing I've read in a long time. Though I appreciate how the person seeing racism where there is none is the only one to make a racist (or more like, xenophobic) generalisation.
syntheticgerbil wrote:I know French animators over the years have tended to have sort of a mentality where things are stuck in United States circa 1940s in some respects, but everything in entertainment is global now, especially video games.
Mind to elaborate? I've never heard of any such thing nor could I find anything online.
Rulez wrote:
Bionichute wrote:It's not just a movie reference, its boiling down an entire culture (Or rather, two unrelated cultures) to a single recognizable person, that being Bruce Lee.
How?
That's a very good question, all the more because no one has been able to answer it so far.
Image

sergiomonty
Antitoon
Posts: 3728
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:21 pm
Tings: 0

Re: Rayman Adventures

Post by sergiomonty »

Hunchman801 wrote:But come on, racism?
I get your point. Let me explain then what the real situation here is. I'm pretty sure the people at Ubi aren't trying to spread hate by making the characters look the way they look. They're french, their culture is pretty different from the North American's sort of obsessive political correctness. However, they're clearly basing their characters on stereotypes by making them similar to the already infamous antijapanese propaganda.

Image
Hunchman801 wrote:
Bionichute wrote:I know for a fact that this wasn't done out of malice, French people are apparently racist against basically everyone that isn't French, but whenever I played one of those levels, it just felt wrong and bad.
That's the stupidest thing I've read in a long time. Though I appreciate how the person seeing racism where there is none is the only one to make a racist (or more like, xenophobic) generalisation.
syntheticgerbil wrote:I know French animators over the years have tended to have sort of a mentality where things are stuck in United States circa 1940s in some respects, but everything in entertainment is global now, especially video games.
Mind to elaborate? I've never heard of any such thing nor could I find anything online.
Actually, I work in the industry of animation, and I've heard all those things from professionals. They're all true. To an extent.

I'm pretty sure they're not doing it for the sake of hate, but maybe because "hey, Disney did it, WB did it!" without taking a look at the full picture of how people would react. It's not racism, it's just that they're used to it. Heck, I'm from Colombia, and during carnivals we have a character that looks like this:
Image

And nobody gives a damn.
Let's change "racism" for "Stereotyping".
But that's not the real problem and we know that, the problem is that we got Bruce Lee instead of fucking chinese beasts.
That guy has a badoo account too. :lol: -Harpic fraîcheur

Sergaymonty~

Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Posts: 77884
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:50 pm
Location: Paris, France
Contact:
Tings: 557262

Re: Rayman Adventures

Post by Hunchman801 »

sergiomonty wrote: I get your point. Let me explain then what the real situation here is. I'm pretty sure the people at Ubi aren't trying to spread hate by making the characters look the way they look. They're french, their culture is pretty different from the North American's sort of obsessive political correctness. However, they're clearly basing their characters on stereotypes by making them similar to the already infamous antijapanese propaganda.

Image
The only thing these characters have in common is the epicanthic fold. Or is there anything else I'm missing?
sergiomonty wrote:Actually, I work in the industry of animation, and I've heard all those things from professionals. They're all true. To an extent.
While I don't know about the second one which is why I asked for an explanation (other than “I just know”), the first one is just a gratuitous generalisation (and has nothing to do with animation anyway).
But that's not the real problem and we know that, the problem is that we got Bruce Lee instead of fucking chinese beasts.
True that. :(
Image

Bradandez
Globox
Posts: 18589
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:50 am
Tings: 137530

Re: Rayman Adventures

Post by Bradandez »

Didn't we have two games filled to the brim Mariachi music, enemies that only spewed "Olè" and "Aríba!", and other tons of spicy food? Why didn't you complain about that? What makes you so high and mighty to deem what's racist and what's not?

I don't mind the swordsman being human. He makes a fine addition with the Hunters and Lividstones as a human enemy.

Bionichute
Glombrox
Posts: 948
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:02 am
Tings: 12145

Re: Rayman Adventures

Post by Bionichute »

Because the skeletons weren't actual Mexican people. They were skeletons.
Image

Bradandez
Globox
Posts: 18589
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:50 am
Tings: 137530

Re: Rayman Adventures

Post by Bradandez »

With really curly mustaches, shouting "Olé", "Arbíba!", "Oi!", and surrounded by spicy food. Yeah, they're totally not Mexican. At least I don't deem it as racism. I love that the team put these Mexican themed worlds in the games, it's so flattering.

Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Posts: 77884
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:50 pm
Location: Paris, France
Contact:
Tings: 557262

Re: Rayman Adventures

Post by Hunchman801 »

Very good point Brad, almost every Mexican stereotype can be found in those worlds, yet no one's ever complained. :lol:
Image

Bionichute
Glombrox
Posts: 948
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:02 am
Tings: 12145

Re: Rayman Adventures

Post by Bionichute »

You know what? No, that world was pretty racist.
Image

Bradandez
Globox
Posts: 18589
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:50 am
Tings: 137530

Re: Rayman Adventures

Post by Bradandez »

Hunchman801 wrote:Very good point Brad, almost every Mexican stereotype can be found in those worlds, yet no one's ever complained. :lol:
Exactly! You know why? Because Mexicans don't give a shit if you stereotype them! We have better things to do than to worry about petty shit like this. Why do you think we love Speedy Gonzales so much? Stereotypes exists because most of them are pretty god damn true!
Bionichute wrote:You know what? No, that world was pretty racist.
Shit up. You're in no position to say that.

sergiomonty
Antitoon
Posts: 3728
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:21 pm
Tings: 0

Re: Rayman Adventures

Post by sergiomonty »

Hunchman801 wrote:The only thing these characters have in common is the epicanthic fold. Or is there anything else I'm missing?
*Sigh* ... again, this whole racism situation is not my business. Nobody in media really cares about Rayman anyways, so... yeah.
Hunchman801 wrote:Very good point Brad, almost every Mexican stereotype can be found in those worlds, yet no one's ever complained. :lol:
Image

Come on guys, I know you're all more intelligent than that.

First of all, I'm latin american, and I have mexican friends. They LOVE the Fiesta de los Muertos world because it DOES represent their culture. They still have mariachis. They do love spicy food. Even babies have spicy peppers in their bottles of milk, and that's a true fact. They love to paint skulls with brightful colors. And their culture is still pretty attached to the natural figure of a "macho" by the moustache that we all know. Lucha Libre is still a huge thing in Mexico, and they know that. Those things depicted in the game are not stereotypes: they're culture. Or why do you think Mexicans didn't want Speedy Gonzalez to be censored? Because they liked him! The only thing that comes close to a stereotype in Rayman Legends are the cactus in the background with sombreros, but hey, news flash, the Sombrero is also part of their culture and their pride for their revolutionary history. What did Ubisoft do? They still opted for undead creatures as enemies, not chubby, brownish pistoleros with tons of children.

I'm not sure if the japanese/chinese (since the culture in the Wild Wild East seems kinda mixed up) would be happy to see that the mystical creature that represents their culture in Rayman is a chubby Bruce Lee with damaged teeth, squinted eyes, bowl-shaped black hair and yellow skin, you know, the usual american representation of japanese people..... INSTEAD OF FUCKING DRAGONS OR SPIRITS. :D



....


I'd be pissed off if they made a world around Colombia, and instead of Toritos or Jaguars they chose to use Juan Valdez and Shakira as enemies.
That guy has a badoo account too. :lol: -Harpic fraîcheur

Sergaymonty~

Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Posts: 77884
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:50 pm
Location: Paris, France
Contact:
Tings: 557262

Re: Rayman Adventures

Post by Hunchman801 »

sergiomonty wrote:First of all, I'm latin american, and I have mexican friends. They LOVE the Fiesta de los Muertos world because it DOES represent their culture. They still have mariachis. They do love spicy food. Even babies have spicy peppers in their bottles of milk, and that's a true fact. They love to paint skulls with brightful colors. And their culture is still pretty attached to the natural figure of a "macho" by the moustache that we all know. Lucha Libre is still a huge thing in Mexico, and they know that. Those things depicted in the game are not stereotypes: they're culture. Or why do you think Mexicans didn't want Speedy Gonzalez to be censored? Because they liked him! The only thing that comes close to a stereotype in Rayman Legends are the cactus in the background with sombreros, but hey, news flash, the Sombrero is also part of their culture and their pride for their revolutionary history. What did Ubisoft do? They still opted for undead creatures as enemies, not chubby, brownish pistoleros with tons of children.
The moustache and and the sombrero are definitely part of the Mexican stereotype, but you accept them because they're part of the culture too? That's a completely artificial distinction, as many more stereotypes are also based on culture. All you're doing is accepting the ones you deem positive and refusing the others. Fair enough, but there's no negative Asian stereotypes in the new enemies either.
sergiomonty wrote:I'm not sure if the japanese/chinese (since the culture in the Wild Wild East seems kinda mixed up) would be happy to see that the mystical creature that represents their culture in Rayman is a chubby Bruce Lee with damaged teeth, squinted eyes, bowl-shaped black hair and yellow skin, you know, the usual american representation of japanese people..... INSTEAD OF FUCKING DRAGONS OR SPIRITS. :D
Who said that these enemies had to represent an entire culture? They're just part of this new world, nothing more. In fact, all they represent is Bruce Lee, an Asian pop culture icon. He obviously had an epicanthic fold and black hair, and a bowl haircut too. I don't know where you got the yellow skin from, to me it's just beige like a white person's skin. And the ugly teeth? They're just typical of the brute stereotype and are found in tons of video game enemies, and don't even look like those from the Japanese stereotype (buck teeth).
sergiomonty wrote:I'd be pissed off if they made a world around Colombia, and instead of Toritos or Jaguars they chose to use Juan Valdez and Shakira as enemies.
So your problem has nothing to do with racism or stereotypes, you're just against pop culture in Rayman.
Image

Post Reply