Rayman Adventures

For discussions about the Rayman series.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Squiz
Oiseau Rouge
Tings: 142

Re: Rayman Adventures

Post by Squiz »

This mobile game looks cool, but yep I hope like you all that a new 3D Rayman game will be on consoles one day. And I don't understand why a lot of people here find the CGI trailer crappy. For me it fits perfectly for Rayman's universe and characters, and I hope that the next game will looks like this.
Bionichute
Dragon Médiéval
Tings: 12145

Post by Bionichute »

Unlike Sonic, which is a famous franchise that has very little chances of stopping at any point soon, Rayman is in a constant chance of falling into the abyss and being abandoned by Ubisoft. Ubisoft is not a very good company, and will pretty much abandon games if it doesn't meet sales or is badly recieved, because they are incredibly deaf to the audience they're trying to appeal to. This is the reason why Rayman Adventures exists, if it does well, that means that maybe, just maybe, Ubi will let Ancel and the game work on the big project they want to.

Everything with "Mobile is the future of Rayman" and "People don't want console Rayman" is not Ancel's own thoughts, but what Ubisoft is making him say.
Sabertooth
Magicien
Tings: 53365

Post by Sabertooth »

Cairnie wrote: Legends being such a flop while RFR/RJR being successful pretty much tells you what the general public would rather have, and that's pretty sad.
I don't think that's the case. I believe Ancel was hastily jumping to conclusions-- not very many people own gaming consoles today to begin with, and even fewer of them are likely to buy a poorly-marketed 2D platformer. On the contrary, everybody has a smartphone, and time-waster app games are hugely popular. How then, realistically, could the mobile games not sell more than the console ones? I don't think that this is about giving the people what they want; more like a lack of artistic integrity. In a perfect world, sales would not affect game development; rather, critic and fan reaction. I understand why this isn't the case, but I still find it disappointing.

I think what most people are tired of is not the 2D gameplay, but the general style of the games. Rayman as a series has always been about change-- it went from a 2D sidescroller, to an ambitious 3D game, to a comedic, combat-oriented 3D game with arcade elements, to a more modernized 2D platformer. After that, it went stagnant. The UbiArt style was refreshing and even compelling the first time, and Legends took it in a slightly different direction that was also interesting to see, if a bit more worn-out. Now it looks like the UbiArt style, with its "wacky" characters, lack of story, and focus on the casual gamer market is here to stay, and that's what worries me. R2 didn't feel like a sequel to R1; and R3 didn't feel like a sequel to R2. I would gladly welcome a new 2D game with the spirit of R1, or perhaps a whole new art direction. Just as long as it doesn't feel like yet another sequel to RO.

I'm sure some of you would disagree (Brad) but I've always felt that Rayman should grow and evolve, not stay in one place like Mario (keep in mind I fucking love Mario). And the modern series just doesn't seem to be scratching that itch.
BestXIII wrote:The knaarens are very big shitass! :grrrrrr:
Keane
André
Tings: 222528

Post by Keane »

Really there'd be nothing wrong with letting the current day Rayman style stick around, as long as they were willing to build onto it and expand into some new directions. While it's certainly got likable characters and charm, so far things haven't gone much further than the Glade just being a wacky place, and that's it. If they're not willing to give a shot at stirring it all into a new direction, than eventually the charm of the wackiness begins to fade (and it feels like it already is) and it just becomes repetitive - and you can try shitting out a 3D game just for the sake of changing things, but it'll still be the same charm from Origins it's trying to ride on.

So instead, why not take some new steps? There's no reason we can't keep this style around and not see characters with personality, or an occasional change in tone to recreate that more magical feeling of the Glade. Why not have a villain play a greater role, or put some rhyme and reason behind the places Rayman visits? Rayman's world has all the potential to be like an Adventure Time where the wacky, obscure world mixes perfectly with the actually well written characters that aren't merely defined by "it's just weird." If they won't look over these options, I'm afraid that if there is another console game to exist, it'll feel like Ubisoft trying to suck a last attempt at cash out of Origins regardless of 2D or 3D.
Burgers float into my room...
Adsolution wrote:muse - showbiz (super mario sunshiner mario falling sound cover ending)
Bionichute
Dragon Médiéval

Post by Bionichute »

So the plot synopsis mentions that the magic eggs were "stolen", which means there might actually be a main villain in this mobile spin-off. As much as I'd love to see a new villain, judging by the reused stuff, it's probably gonna be The Magician again.
GNineify
Bégoniax
Tings: 38675

Post by GNineify »

Keane wrote:So instead, why not take some new steps? There's no reason we can't keep this style around and not see characters with personality, or an occasional change in tone to recreate that more magical feeling of the Glade. Why not have a villain play a greater role, or put some rhyme and reason behind the places Rayman visits? Rayman's world has all the potential to be like an Adventure Time where the wacky, obscure world mixes perfectly with the actually well written characters that aren't merely defined by "it's just weird." If they won't look over these options, I'm afraid that if there is another console game to exist, it'll feel like Ubisoft trying to suck a last attempt at cash out of Origins regardless of 2D or 3D.
You put it best. It's become really common these days for modern cartoons to have more complex and layered (but by no means confusingly complex) plots and characterization the longer they run because writers and artists are being given more creative freedom, so I'm still hoping to see this happening with the Rayman universe as well. Obviously the plot doesn't have to be some incredibly moving, Oscar winning story, but I still want to have at least a some kind of a reason to why I am happily jumping around and beating up enemies. The Glade has so much potential, but Ubisoft only thinks about what makes money and I doubt they're going to cater solely to some forum on the Internet any time soon.
"uckfay isthay itshay iyay'may outyay" - ales mansay probably
YOU'VE FOUND THE ULTRA AMAZING EASTER EGG THAT DOES ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO MAKE YOUR LIFE BETTER!
Bionichute
Dragon Médiéval

Post by Bionichute »

To be honest... Adventures kind of, uh, has more of a plot than Legends. We have a definitive goal, to save the Incrediballs in order to save the Enchanted Forest. We know somebody stole them as well. Legends was basically 5 thinly connected worlds with a basis of "Save the Teensies". There isn't much of a threat to that, and we have no idea why The Magician did it. Here, we can even gleam a bit of motivation from the as of yet unseen villain.
Rayfist
Sandra Misu
Tings: 176605

Post by Rayfist »

Bradandez wrote:Because Barbara's too normal. Yes, a barbarian. That's normal. You just see them along side the Vikings on the sidewalks. I wave to them when I get on the bus from time to time. Completely normal.
ALRIGHT BRAD WE GET IT, BARBARA, YEAH COOL, CONGRATS.
Steam PSN Youtube
Follow me on Twitter
Imco wrote:+ I just beat the hell out of my sister. That was great :D
Eparcyl
Antitoon
Tings: 0

Post by Eparcyl »

This game make me like that:

[redacted]

Yep that make me sick.

Because this game is 2D and not in 3D, Globox has been pushing out of the game for this fucking viking.
Last edited by Master on Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Please refrain from posting excessively gross imagery
ImageImage
HONK HONK: https://youtu.be/Z4OhbzSFpnk
Record Day ~ 2015: 267 posts, 20th/ 2016: 429 posts, 13th/ 2018: 450 posts, 8th
Rayfist
Sandra Misu

Post by Rayfist »

Motormike wrote:And yes, a 3D game project began (end of 2013) but lasted only a month Ancel told me...
I read this, yes. Would you think he's still working on one possibly? Maybe this Rayman Adventures is just a little something to tide us over and Ancel's got something he's hiding us from?
Last edited by Rayfist on Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steam PSN Youtube
Follow me on Twitter
Hoozang
Matuvu
Tings: 240

Post by Hoozang »

I think we were alright with the sickness you give us, Best.
Rayfist
Sandra Misu

Post by Rayfist »

Gotta say reading back on this topic a bit I'm a little ashamed to call myself a Rayman fan sometimes. Hearing 'Rayman is dead'.

So what? We got one mobile title that isn't anything new, and Ancel might have said he sees more future for Rayman on mobiles, but I don't think we should be all down, I still think they'll undoubtedly have a new console/pc Rayman title sometime in the future.
Steam PSN Youtube
Follow me on Twitter
Bionichute
Dragon Médiéval

Post by Bionichute »

Is that picture considered NSFW? I hope it is because it needs to be removed.
Digital Mozart
Incrediball
Tings: 370

Post by Digital Mozart »

I think y'all are getting a little riled up over nothing. We know very little about this game, and people are already jumping off bridges. I'm almost 100% sure this is not the 20th anniversary celebration. As said before, there has been no mention of it when promoting the game, unlike the 10th Anniversary collection. Sure, Ubisoft have made some really crap decisions in the past. But for Ancel, Rayman is his baby. In L'Histoire de Rayman, it's constantly brought up that Ancel wants to create another Rayman with a deep story. He's surely not just going to pop this out and pack up for the day.

Personally, I'm excited for this game, as it's a new Rayman game, just as I'm excited for that new Metroid game. I absolutely love both series (Rayman a lot more), and I have faith in the company that gives them to us. Among Ubisoft's series, Rayman is really one of the only series that hasn't had games that didn't have a lot of love in them. It doesn't matter what your opinion of RRR, RO, or RL are, you can't deny that the devs put a lot of work and care into them. They aren't bad quality. They're not glitchy messes, they just might not be your cup of tea gameplay wise.

We are not entitled to anything. We weren't even entitled to RO and RL. Remember when RRR and its sequels came out and everyone thought "Well, Rayman is dead and gone forever, put the flags at half mast and play Taps"? Then in 2011, we got RO. It came out of left field. No one was expecting it. We all thought Rayman was dead. I believe that will happen again. Some people are thinking that the death of Rayman is nigh because they happened to release a mobile game the year of his 20th anniversary. I think we need to be just a bit more patient and have a tad more faith in the company that spawned our love for our favorite limbless hero.
Bradandez
Dora Dodemer
Tings: 137530

Post by Bradandez »

Nice of Saber to throw me under the bus like that. Of all the people here, he wants to see the series grow and evolve (which is what I posted some time ago).

Also, Bionic, you think they're gonna give us a new villain for this game? You're way over your head. Also, the Magician imprisoned the Teensies as an act of revenge going by the beta of Rayman Origins' script.

Rayfist, I don't think people here appreciate Barbara, so I'm here to spread the good word of the Barbarian.

Oh and GNineify's back! Hi! :v
DandyGuy
Ptizêtre Ermite
Tings: 1772

Post by DandyGuy »

Rayfist wrote:Gotta say reading back on this topic a bit I'm a little ashamed to call myself a Rayman fan sometimes. Hearing 'Rayman is dead'.

So what? We got one mobile title that isn't anything new, and Ancel might have said he sees more future for Rayman on mobiles, but I don't think we should be all down, I still think they'll undoubtedly have a new console/pc Rayman title sometime in the future.
Even if "Rayman is Dead" We still have the originals. Im afraid that (like every thing else in business) If Rayman Adventures Isn't profitable or a huge successes that Rayman wont get any kind of new release. I was hoping that he would be in Smash Bros. but the poll results so far look doubtful.

@BestXIII

@Digital Mozart Its almost 2020 my faith is running out.
Bionichute
Dragon Médiéval

Post by Bionichute »

Bradandez wrote:Also, Bionic, you think they're gonna give us a new villain for this game? You're way over your head. Also, the Magician imprisoned the Teensies as an act of revenge going by the beta of Rayman Origins' script.
First, I said the exact opposite thing, and I simply said "as of yet unseen" because we don't know, even if it is probably The Magician. Second, there is absolutely nothing in Legends, specifically, that says why he captured all the Teensies.
Simina-Cindy
Super Lums Jaune
Tings: 190

Post by Simina-Cindy »

To be honest, when I saw the trailer, I couldn't have cared less, which is totally unusual for me. Every time a new Rayman game came out I got super excited, but not this time. And sure, maybe they have something bigger planned, but...This game just looks like a copy-paste of Legends. At least Jungle and Fiesta had some extra things from the main games, but everything in this trailer just looked like it was right out of Legends. I should also address the fact that it's becoming more like Barbara Legends and Barbara Adventures instead of Rayman. :/ Barbara is an ok character and all, but I always thought she was a bit unfitting to the Rayman world, but now it's becoming even worse. It's more like Rayman is in a different world. Why don't they just separate the franchises like they did with Rabbids? They can do all this barbarian stuff with Barbara as the main character instead and focus on more fantasy stuff with Rayman again. All in all, Rayman Adventures just looks meh...I don't hate it, but it really doesn't look interesting. Legends was already kinda meh to begin with (I still really like it, but it was a bit disappointing), so a spin-off of it that looks like it has even less to offer is pretty damn disappointing.

Also, this doesn't affect the game, but Rayman's model in the trailer looks kinda like trash (and wtf is up with his outfit?)
Image <-- Click here to join the Tily Fanclub!
RibShark
Feuillu
Tings: 1735

Post by RibShark »

I'm going to say this now. Of course, many will disagree, but the only way to stop this being the future of Rayman is to not even bother downloading the app. The fewer people download it, the more likely it is for Ubisoft to switch back to console. Even if this is released on Android, I will not be downloading it because of this.
Bradandez
Dora Dodemer
Tings: 137530

Post by Bradandez »

Or it could lead to Ubisoft seeing Rayman as nonprofitable and giving them the idea that there is no interest in Rayman.