I Love Rayman Fan video contest via Ubi

Talk about Rayman himself and Rayman games!

Moderator: English moderators

Bradandez
Globox
Posts: 18589
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:50 am
Tings: 137530

Re: I Love Rayman Fan video contest via Ubi

Post by Bradandez » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:16 am

I think these pretentious fucks are over analyzing a kids' game like its one of Shakespeare's works. Top comedy right there. Even I won't go that far with my sarcastic comments, but these guys are serious. Now that's silly.

Rayfist
Rayman 2
Posts: 12553
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:36 pm
Location: Right here, right now!
Tings: 176605

Re: I Love Rayman Fan video contest via Ubi

Post by Rayfist » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:20 am

Bradandez wrote:I think these pretentious fucks are over analyzing a kids' game like its one of Shakespeare's works. Top comedy right there. Even I won't go that far with my sarcastic comments, but these guys are serious. Now that's silly.
Holy shit, we've lost him. :roll:
Image
Steam PSN Youtube
Follow me on Twitter
Imco wrote:+ I just beat the hell out of my sister. That was great :D

Bradandez
Globox
Posts: 18589
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:50 am
Tings: 137530

Re: I Love Rayman Fan video contest via Ubi

Post by Bradandez » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:22 am

Rayfist wrote:
Bradandez wrote:I think these pretentious fucks are over analyzing a kids' game like its one of Shakespeare's works. Top comedy right there. Even I won't go that far with my sarcastic comments, but these guys are serious. Now that's silly.
Holy shit, we've lost him. :roll:
Nope here I am. You found me. :wink:

Sabertooth
Joe
Posts: 5015
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:15 am
Location: Probably somewhere
Contact:
Tings: 53290

Re: I Love Rayman Fan video contest via Ubi

Post by Sabertooth » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:55 am

Bradandez wrote:I think these pretentious fucks are over analyzing a kids' game like its one of Shakespeare's works.
Well, why not? Video games are art, after all, and if you disagree, then feel free not to ruin our fun.
BestXIII wrote:The knaarens are very big shitass! :grrrrrr:

Bradandez
Globox
Posts: 18589
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:50 am
Tings: 137530

Re: I Love Rayman Fan video contest via Ubi

Post by Bradandez » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:08 am

Sabertooth1000000000 wrote:
Bradandez wrote:I think these pretentious fucks are over analyzing a kids' game like its one of Shakespeare's works.
Well, why not? Video games are art, after all, and if you disagree, then feel free not to ruin our fun.
Disagree? That's what I do best. I got rage on the brain and if I wasn't working 10 hours almost every night, I'd give out a more clearer view on how bull your guys' arguments are. Dart's the only one making sense right now.

anaphasiia
Pizzicatta
Posts: 219
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:50 am
Location: Manhattan
Tings: 3495

Re: I Love Rayman Fan video contest via Ubi

Post by anaphasiia » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:24 am

Bradandez wrote:I think these pretentious fucks are over analyzing a kids' game like its one of Shakespeare's works.
Ancel has probably thought about his world he created more than any of us, because he obviously cared about his creations beyond just making "a kids' game". He obviously had a passion for his creations. Is he pretentious because of that?

We're not over-analyzing, we're observing obviously intentional things (Mr. Dark who is serious but also dignified, surrounded by silliness, the only "actually" silly world in the game. The contrast was on purpose, and is another example of Rayman 1/2 not having "silliness" in its raw form. Silliness is not the primary layer for its presentation, it has an in-universe reason. Origins doesn't have an in-universe reason for its silliness, its presentation is intended as silly in general.
Bradandez wrote:Dart's the only one making sense right now.
Dart said the same thing spiraldoor and I said...?
Bradandez wrote:I'd give out a more clearer view on how bull your guys' arguments are.
Talk, talk, talk, but you've never done that. It isn't your work clouding you, arguments you make are always similar. This is just how you are. :mrgreen:
Image

Rayfist
Rayman 2
Posts: 12553
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:36 pm
Location: Right here, right now!
Tings: 176605

Re: I Love Rayman Fan video contest via Ubi

Post by Rayfist » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:01 am

Bradandez wrote:I think these pretentious fucks are over analyzing a kids' game like its one of Shakespeare's works.
With that logic there's no point in analyzing anything. Movies, art, whatever.

Like Ana said, I'm sure our analyzing isn't much compared to how much work and inspiration poured into it from Ancel's mind.
There's a reason why many people (myself included) are so fascinated with retrospectives, and in-depth game reviews. We like to see things from not only different perspectives, but various other ways of looking at things, or perhaps hearing theories. I'm all for calling out bullshit or over exaggerations, but nothing Spiral said was off, all very likely vibes.

You seem to ignore any perspective offered on it because of what you believe to be "over-analyzing." What fun is there if we can't go in-depth on these subjects?
Image
Steam PSN Youtube
Follow me on Twitter
Imco wrote:+ I just beat the hell out of my sister. That was great :D

Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Posts: 77388
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:50 pm
Location: Paris, France
Contact:
Tings: 551420

Re: I Love Rayman Fan video contest via Ubi

Post by Hunchman801 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:09 pm

I'd reply to Brad's desperate attempts to prove his ridiculous point, but Rayfist, anaphasiia and spiraldoor have already done a great job at it and there's not much for me to add.

Just a few points there and there:
Bradandez wrote:And do you really need to have adult themes for your humor? I love it as much as the next guy, but light hearted humor is good enough for me. Oi, and if you're looking for adult themes in the recent games, ya just need to play Origins. :lol:
I never said I needed to, I just said that unlike Origins and Legends, Rayman 3 was not just plain silly but also had another dimension to its humour. Thanks for bringing up the “adult themes” of the recent games; I assume you're referring to the nymphs' ridiculously exaggerated bodies. And well, if you think that the sexual innuendos in Rayman 3 and the big boobs and huge butts in Origins are on the same level, you're doing a far better job at proving our point than any of us.
anaphasiia wrote:The reason I think most people have issue with Origins' story is because there was a story, then it was stripped, but the game didn't change when it was. There are remaining parts of an epic, but the in-between stuff was cut out. For being so simple, Origins' plot (or lack thereof) draws a lot of attention because the world, the entire game was built around an epic story, and then it was cut out. It feels like it's missing a story, because it is.
Very good point; I never cared much for the lack of story in the original game, I even enjoyed it thanks to the atmosphere of mystery it created. But Origins was clearly designed with that scrapped story in mind, and its removal in the late development of the game makes it feel a bit hollow to me.
spiraldoor wrote:Is Candy Château silly? Well, yeah. But it's also positioned within the game in such a way that its garish nature becomes an effectively unnerving setting for a climactic stage.
The circus is one of the themes of Candy Château. It's not even that the world is inherently silly, more that one of its themes is, and the way it was incorporated clearly isn't.
thank mr skeltal

spiraldoor
Mr Dark
Posts: 12391
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:13 pm
Tings: 156595

Re: I Love Rayman Fan video contest via Ubi

Post by spiraldoor » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:56 pm

anaphasiia wrote:Ancel has probably thought about his world he created more than any of us, because he obviously cared about his creations beyond just making "a kids' game". He obviously had a passion for his creations. Is he pretentious because of that?
Actually, I don't get the sense that Ancel or the other developers spent an enormous amount of time or energy thinking about the meaning of the game or the way it would ultimately transport players. Not that the game feels haphazard or unfocused, but judging by Ancel's later interviews, he doesn't appear to have a complete understanding of what the game means or the effects it has on people like us. I think the designers and artists simply did the best job they could, and that the resulting tone and feeling of the experience were basically the product of alchemy between unconscious minds.
Hunchman801 wrote:I never said I needed to, I just said that unlike Origins and Legends, Rayman 3 was not just plain silly but also had another dimension to its humour.
I agree that Rayman 3's humour is more complex and satisfying than that of Origins or Legends, but I'd point out another virtue that's just as important: its restraint. The tone of Rayman 3 basically reverted to that of Rayman 2 whenever the characters shut up, and this gave the humour the breathing space it needed to (often) work.
Hunchman801 wrote:The circus is one of the themes of Candy Château. It's not even that the world is inherently silly, more that one of its themes is, and the way it was incorporated clearly isn't.
The circus is quite a subtle theme though – the third level gestures towards it with its clown enemies, but neither the sliding frying pan nor Dark Rayman nor Mr Dark himself have anything to do with it. Maybe a "Candy Circus" setting was originally planned, or perhaps the clowns were left over from an abandoned circus world. I suppose we can see echoes of the Ringmaster in Mr Dark when he forces Rayman to perform by moving backwards, running endlessly, or jumping through rings of fire. Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes also features a supernatural circus run by a malevolent being named Mr Dark. Most of these things are probably unintentional or the result of unconscious influences, but they still add an interesting texture and depth to the game; I doubt anyone will be discussing Rayman Origins in the same way in 2031. (Bradandez, before you make a snide comment about finding meaning where it isn't there, familiarise yourself with basic postmodernist thought – the author died in 1967.)

Dart
Aglagl
Posts: 4944
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:04 pm
Location: The Realm Of Perpetual Sleepiness
Tings: 49815

Re: I Love Rayman Fan video contest via Ubi

Post by Dart » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:28 pm

uhmmmmmm, Ray Bradbury died in 2012? :pardon3:
Image

spiraldoor
Mr Dark
Posts: 12391
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:13 pm
Tings: 156595

Re: I Love Rayman Fan video contest via Ubi

Post by spiraldoor » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:59 pm

Sorry, I was making a wanky arts-studenty joke about a literary concept called the Death of the Author.
Last edited by spiraldoor on Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

THEdragon
Musicien
Posts: 4842
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:43 pm
Location: The Valley
Tings: 47495

Re: I Love Rayman Fan video contest via Ubi

Post by THEdragon » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:24 am

Golly, just butting in here to say, I actually hadn't thought of the 'circus' side-theme in Candy Chateau until it was brought up here. I mean, the clowns should've been a dead giveaway, but it had never actually crossed my mind. Huh.

Anyway, I agree with the idea that Rayman 1 and Rayman Origins both have silliness, but different kinds of silliness- The former being more fantastical, the latter being more slapstick.
Image
When you defeat nine antitoons with one punch!

Haruka
Rayman 2
Posts: 26719
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:19 pm
Tings: 178780

Re: I Love Rayman Fan video contest via Ubi

Post by Haruka » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:00 am

Bradandez wrote:I think these pretentious fucks are over analyzing a kids' game like its one of Shakespeare's works. Top comedy right there. Even I won't go that far with my sarcastic comments, but these guys are serious. Now that's silly.
The real top comedy in here is you.

I won't add anything as members like Spiral and Hunch pretty much said what it had to be said.

OCG
Roméo Patti
Posts: 18552
Joined: Sat May 11, 2013 9:24 am
Location: RPC Pirate Ship
Contact:
Tings: 9820

Re: I Love Rayman Fan video contest via Ubi

Post by OCG » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:03 am

What about Gravity Falls analyzing Brad? Would you say same thing for that?
Image
Image [YouTube] [Facebook] [Twitter] [DeviantART]

[Skype: アンドリヤ (OCG)] [Xbox Live: OldClassicGamer] [PSN: OldClassicGamer] [Steam: OldClassicGamer] [Nintendo Network ID: OldClassicGamer] [3DS FC: 0275-8128-3030]

Thank Mr. Skeltal Image

Acarr
Électoon
Posts: 18436
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:49 am
Location: In a galaxy far far away
Tings: 0

Re: I Love Rayman Fan video contest via Ubi

Post by Acarr » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:28 am

Bradandez wrote:I think these pretentious fucks are over analyzing a kids' game like its one of Shakespeare's works. Top comedy right there. Even I won't go that far with my sarcastic comments, but these guys are serious. Now that's silly.

You're on a forum... about Rayman...
Image

Acarr
Électoon
Posts: 18436
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:49 am
Location: In a galaxy far far away
Tings: 0

Re: I Love Rayman Fan video contest via Ubi

Post by Acarr » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:44 pm

Has raygirl put anything up about her trip btw? Like photos etc.? :)
Image

RayCarrot
Bzzit
Posts: 1647
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:46 pm
Tings: 23649

Re: I Love Rayman Fan video contest via Ubi

Post by RayCarrot » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:06 pm

Yep, the Facebook page shared some. Though not many. Don't know about any info though or what she got to see there

OCG
Roméo Patti
Posts: 18552
Joined: Sat May 11, 2013 9:24 am
Location: RPC Pirate Ship
Contact:
Tings: 9820

Re: I Love Rayman Fan video contest via Ubi

Post by OCG » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:21 pm

She posted some info on Tumblr.
Image
Image [YouTube] [Facebook] [Twitter] [DeviantART]

[Skype: アンドリヤ (OCG)] [Xbox Live: OldClassicGamer] [PSN: OldClassicGamer] [Steam: OldClassicGamer] [Nintendo Network ID: OldClassicGamer] [3DS FC: 0275-8128-3030]

Thank Mr. Skeltal Image

Acarr
Électoon
Posts: 18436
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:49 am
Location: In a galaxy far far away
Tings: 0

Re: I Love Rayman Fan video contest via Ubi

Post by Acarr » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:34 pm

Just had a rummage around but didn't see anything other than a message about not wanting to post anything to respect those who died in Paris.
Image

SpyroGuy
Razoff
Posts: 553
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:10 pm
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Contact:
Tings: 7316

Re: I Love Rayman Fan video contest via Ubi

Post by SpyroGuy » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:07 pm

Bradandez wrote:I think these pretentious fucks are over analyzing a kids' game like its one of Shakespeare's works. Top comedy right there. Even I won't go that far with my sarcastic comments, but these guys are serious. Now that's silly.
I suggest that you should play Sonic Lost World with this mentality. You're probably gonna love it cuz cookiez r tasteh and donutz r yummeh which means that it's automatically the bestest Sonic game in existence. (pukes silently)
Acarr wrote:Just had a rummage around but didn't see anything other than a message about not wanting to post anything to respect those who died in Paris.
Not to sound harsh or anything, but what does an undoubtedly unfortunate tragedy have to do with a dev studio tour? Should I hold back the publication of some of my photos made in one of the local downtown tours just because most of the buildings are still having the bullet and grenade marks on their walls back from WW2 when the city was shot to pieces because we were protecting Hitler's ass? I guess that this largely depends on viewpoints. I find it strange.
Image

Post Reply