Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

Talk about Rayman himself and Rayman games!

Moderator: English moderators

sergiomonty
Antitoon
Tings: 0

Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

Post by sergiomonty » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:34 pm

Guys. This. Is. Weird.

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/11/r ... aunch-day/

So, Laura Kate Dale is this person who's been in contact with pretty trustworthy sources, and it's been leaking tons of info about the Nintendo Switch. She, along with Emily Rogers, have given very accurate info on the development of the Nintendo Switch and many of its games, even before the first trailer was revealed. But this is new. And it's.... CRAZY....

so,
Report: Ubisoft Developing Rabbids & Mario Crossover RPG For Switch Launch Day

Hey there folks, time for a Switch report about third-party exclusives you should expect on Switch launch day.
According to both of our sources at Ubisoft and Nintendo, on the day the Switch launches, it’ll launch alongside a new Ubisoft-developed turn based RPG, with the name suggesting it will be a crossover of the Raving Rabbids and Mario series.
The game, whose formal title has not yet been confirmed but is currently under the working title “Mario RPG: Invasion of the Rabbids”, is being developed under the watchful monitoring of Nintendo, ensuring that it both hits launch day and that it conforms to Nintendo’s own internal specifications for how Mario characters and iconography should be presented.
The title will focus on the Mario universe being invaded by Ubisoft’s Rabbids characters, some friend and some foe, and will feature a new Bowser form based around the design of the Rabbids as a recurring boss enemy. While there will be numerous cameo appearances from the Mario series’ best known characters, the core party will feature numerous, more minor characters. There is a particular focus on Yoshi as a primary party member, alongside a playable Rabbid.
The title will have a playable demo ready for press to experience in January, and will feature a quicksave system to ensure that saving is possible on short notice if the battery on the Switch handheld is running low. Part of the planned press demo includes the JoyCons vibrating to imply a Rabbid jumping into and out of them from the TV or handheld screen. The idea is to imply your system is infested with Rabbids, and that they could at any time jump out of your controller and interfere with gameplay.
The title is going to be one of the cornerstone trailers shown when Nintendo details the system further in January. Nintendo intends to pitch the project to consumers as a Mario RPG project in collaboration with Ubisoft, in spite of Ubisoft doing most of the work on development.
So, what do you think of this news? Do you still care about the Rabbids brand? Does a Mario-themed RPG on launch day make you feel better about the lack of Breath of the Wild on day one? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.
It's curious how both Ubisoft and Nintendo chose the Rabbids over Rayman for a crossover with Mario.
That guy has a badoo account too. :lol: -Harpic fraîcheur

Sergaymonty~

Master
Rayman Origins
Tings: 404000

Re: Mario RPG: Invasion of the Rabbids happening?

Post by Master » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:40 pm

Hmm, unforeseen turn of events there. Guess we'll have to wait and see, Rabbids and Mario mixing isn't something I'd have ever thought of.

Droolie
Oumbr
Tings: 54530

Post by Droolie » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:00 pm

They can't be serious. I mean, Rabbids were popular on the Wii, and Mario too, but mixing two things that are good - like chocolate and tomato soup - doesn't always yield good results, especially when mixing it with a third ingredient, turn-based gameplay, that neither audience is familiar with. I could see it working if they changed the design and sounds of the rabbids to suit the Mario universe, but how likely is it that they're doing that (on that note, a Rayman x Mario crossover wouldn't work either tbh)? I'd feel better if this was a Rayman & Rabbids game as that would give me confidence that this was some kind of redemption for RRR.

It sounds too ridiculous to be true, so this time I'll think it's fake until I see it with my own eyes.
EDIT > Well apparently more and more people are confirming this, so I'll believe it, but damn, what a bad idea.

Rayfist
Rayman 2
Tings: 176605

Post by Rayfist » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:27 pm

Emily Rogers has actually been wrong a lot of the time.
Steam PSN Youtube
Follow me on Twitter
Imco wrote:+ I just beat the hell out of my sister. That was great :D

Master
Rayman Origins

Post by Master » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:10 pm

It seems to have exploded on the internet since, though of course, that doesn't prove anything. Still kinda bemused by such a crossover though.

Dart
Aglagl
Tings: 49815

Post by Dart » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:18 pm

I actually love the idea TBH. The Switch so far lacks anything remotely interesting right now and I think a shot into left field might be a refreshing change of pace :)

Cairnie
Magicien
Tings: 78430

Post by Cairnie » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:47 pm

Regardless on whether this is even true or not, I find the idea REALLY baffling. I suppose it could be up there with that Skylanders game that had Bowser and Donkey Kong in it but I still think it's a random combo if anything, especially as Rabbids still don't have the best of reputations right now (judging by Rabbids Land and Rabbids Invasion on PS4/XBone anyway).

Still not 100% sure if I still want to get a Switch straight away or not but if this is true and it turns out decent then maybe...
giant photobucket picture wuz ere

so wuz old psn banner

you know old out of date stuff

Ambidextroid
Jano
Tings: 85635

Post by Ambidextroid » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:06 pm

"a crossover of the Raving Rabbids and Mario series"

Those fluffy bastards ruined my childhood, I can't bare to see them come back and fuck something else up (if you'd excuse my language)

Bradandez
Globox
Tings: 137530

Post by Bradandez » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:36 pm

I love the Rabbids, I welcome this.

Electoon
Garatta Ciatik
Tings: 11805

Post by Electoon » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:41 pm

I was wondering when someone was going to post about this on here! When I first read this, my brother and I thought 'isn't it too early for April Fools jokes'? XD
In all seriousness, have the Rabbids become any better as characters since departing from Rayman? I don't follow the Rabbids franchise, but I really hate the freaky little things in Rayman, as I put in more detail here viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7619&start=180#p1189767.
This is such a weird idea for a crossover...

Greeness
Oiseau Moqueur
Tings: 16900

Post by Greeness » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:56 pm

This idea of a game sounds completely obscure, seriously if someone would've asked me what franchise should crossover with Mario for a turn based rpg, rabbids would've been my answer, I really just am not getting the appeal they're trying to give here, they're trying to appeal to rabbid fans (if that's even a thing) or to Mario fans?
Rare Rayman images Drive folder:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Feel free to share any rare media that's missing.

sergiomonty
Antitoon

Post by sergiomonty » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:53 pm

Rayfist wrote:Emily Rogers has actually been wrong a lot of the time.
It's not Emily though, It's Laura Kate Dale.

Sergaymonty~

Rayfist
Rayman 2
Tings: 176605

Post by Rayfist » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:48 pm

I see. Could be true then. But just to repeat what Drol said:
Why make it an RPG of all things? Something that both fanbases (even a lot of people here) are completely fucking unfamiliar with. Well I guess if it's mario and luigi styled it wont be too difficult to comprehend, lol.
Steam PSN Youtube
Follow me on Twitter
Imco wrote:+ I just beat the hell out of my sister. That was great :D

syntheticgerbil
Électoon

Post by syntheticgerbil » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:34 am

I mean why not? I could see Mario stomping on some Rabbids. I imagine though they mean either Paper Mario or Mario and Luigi series though. There was only one Mario RPG and those were the successors.

CHRdutch
Bzzit
Tings: 23280

Post by CHRdutch » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:09 am

I don't really get the negativity towards this, since the Rabbids were supposed to be evil bastards invading the earth. So I have a feeling that this actually might work.

Remember this trailer?
But I guess it's best to wait and see if this actually happens.
YouTube:https://www.youtube.com/user/CHRdutch
Ambidextroid wrote:< was in such a rush < had no time for breakfast, so < took a fistful of corn flakes and stuffed them in <'s mouth, then poured milk over the top. It worked but it drizzled milk all over <'s front...
Record Day 2015 madness

lagpu1
Lums Noir
Tings: 65

Post by lagpu1 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:23 am

I don't know what to think about this... let's wait until there is an actual trailer of it.
But I like the idea of the rabbids jumping out of your controller thing

Master
Rayman Origins

Post by Master » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:41 am

CHRdutch wrote:I don't really get the negativity towards this, since the Rabbids were supposed to be evil bastards invading the earth. So I have a feeling that this actually might work.

Remember this trailer?
But I guess it's best to wait and see if this actually happens.
Fair point, but I feel that the Rabbids have become rather removed from the old zombie-like enemies that the original RRR envisioned them to be. They've become less antagonistic and have a more friendly charm, while still resorting to wacky antics. Truth be told, while I do feel that the Rabbids are the Minions of the gaming world and could do with a little shake-up, I couldn't see them returning to their original concept.

That doesn't necessarily mean they can't be effective enemies, but I don't think they'd manage to replicate what that trailer showed, while staying true to what the Rabbids are now.

Haruka
Rayman 2
Tings: 178780

Post by Haruka » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:48 am

I read about this rumour a few days ago. I am hoping it is totally fake. If it happens to be true, well... What were they thinking, honestly.

sergiomonty
Antitoon

Post by sergiomonty » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:56 pm

Haruka wrote:I read about this rumour a few days ago. I am hoping it is totally fake. If it happens to be true, well... What were they thinking, honestly.
Seems to be the case. There are already 4 sources claiming that this game is happening. Even Gamexplain, my informers of choice, have claimed that they've heard this from insiders at Ubisoft and Nintendo.

Another source claims that it's more of a tactical rpg (Like Fire Emblem), and not a turn-based inventory-based rpg (Like Pokémon or Earthbound).

There are many possible reasons why this weird crossover is happening.

-Nintendo wants to get close with third parties, which is the reason why they let games like Hyrule Warriors and Tokyo Mirage Sessions happen.
-Ubisoft has been (so far) the most loyal third party developer during the Wii U era. This has been proven by Rayman's trophy in Smash.
-Ubisoft believes the casual market still lives in Nintendo's consoles, which is why they believe the Rabbids still have a chance to survive.
-Ubisoft is completely aware that the Rabbids' popularity has faded and they're looking for ways to sell their games again.
-Ubisoft is aware that games that feature Mario increase the chances of it selling well (as proven by Fortune Street, a Dragon Quest spin-off that heavily features Mario characters)
-Ubisoft wants to ensure great sales with their first Nintendo title heavily featuring first-party IP's.
-Ubisoft has a pretty great record of RPG games, taking care of the final development of South Park: Stick of Truth, proudly developing Child of Light, and already finishing South Park: The Fractured but Whole.
-Ubisoft has no focus on what the Rabbids should be doing based on the many genres they've tried with them, but Mario is clearly very successful in the RPG department.
-Nintendo's been open to work on games with developers outside of Japan after their great experiences with the american company Retro Studios, as proven by games like Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon, which is developed by canadian studio Next Level Games, and The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD, which was reworked by the Australian studio Tantalus Media.
-Oh, and about the tactical RPG rumor, it makes sense. Producer Assistant of Paper Mario Color Splash explained that they changed Paper Mario to action-adventure because it was too similar to the Mario & Luigi series, and they don't want two games that play exactly the same. Instead of a third turn-based RPG, Ubisoft would be making a map-based tactical-RPG, which is a genre that Mario has never done before.
-This one is a stretch: Nintendo is incredibly impressed by Ubiart Framework.
-Yeah, this game could be made with UbiArt Framework, as it fits the style of play, and Rabbids have been well received in this presentation:
...Holy shit guys, can you imagine a Mario game running on Ubiart?

EDIT: This would be hilarious
Image (Original art by ToonRinkuHD)

Sergaymonty~

Master
Rayman Origins

Post by Master » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:06 am

Anyone seen the UbiSoft 30th video? It doesn't have anything concrete but the Rabbids stuff does seem to be somewhat implying a Mario connection: