Rayman 25th Anniversary HD Trilogy Collection Idea

Talk about Rayman himself and Rayman games!

Moderator: English moderators

superrayman3
Matuvu
Tings: 105

Rayman 25th Anniversary HD Trilogy Collection Idea

Post by superrayman3 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:33 am

Sup RPC members it's been a while since I've posted on here but I thought now might be a good time as any to post an interesting idea I had, with the 25th Anniversary for the original release of Rayman being a little over two years away (2020), do you guys think it'd be possible to convince Ubisoft to consider greenlighting the idea of full HD remasters of the first two Rayman games and bundling them together with Rayman 3 HD into a 25th Anniversary HD trilogy collection of sorts to commemorate their flagship IP when the time comes? The reason I ask is because I would love to see the original two games remastered from the ground up in HD to complement Rayman 3 HD (Rayman 1s art style would look amazing in HD and Rayman 2 could use an HD update as well by this point), I also think the 25th anniversary would be a good time to bring the series back into the mainstream with a bang and this idea would be an excellent way to do it IMHO, do you guys think this would be a good idea?

Master
Rayman Origins
Tings: 404000

Re: Rayman 25th Anniversary HD Trilogy Collection Idea

Post by Master » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:52 am

It'd be a nice idea, but with Ubi's track record when it comes to remasters and ports, I'd worry that they'd introduce some glitches that would lessen the overall quality of the titles. Rayman 3 HD did have some nice touch-ups, but the visual glitches and that one which locks-out progress really doesn't inspire confidence in Ubi's porting abilities.

If there is a HD trilogy, I'd want an actual "from the ground up" remake done in the same vein as the Crash N-Sane Trilogy. The games as they are still look pretty decent, no doubt. But there's so much more that can be done with modern technology, and I'd love to see some proper high resolution textures for the 3D titles at the very least, especially now that we've got consoles that can approach 4K.

WizardMinecraft
Électoon
Tings: 7

Post by WizardMinecraft » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:10 pm

This sounds like a good idea but i have questions, 1. How will they remaster Rayman 1? Are they going to use the self made ubiart technology? 2. How will they remake Rayman 3 this time? are they just going to lazily slap Rayman 3 HD on but with more glitches and call it a "From the ground up remake"?

Ray502
Poulet Zombie
Tings: 125

Post by Ray502 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:35 pm

Bundling the PlayStation version of Rayman 1 (in HD with aspects from Saturn version), Revolution (in HD with aspects from Dreamcast version) and an improved version of Rayman 3 HD would be cool. :)

We also can bank on Michel Ancel's message on Instagram stating his interest in a "fourth Rayman adventure". That would be even better if it became official.

Rayman: Razorbeard's Vengeance

Rayman 2: The Alternate Side (Demo Available Now!)

FC: 37.699 | CF: 107.954 | BOM: 94.827 | LOTLD: 121.385 | DOTK: 109.831 | LS: 41.270 | SBTC: 94.755 | HH: 107.339 | TOTL: 104.496

Total: 819.556

Haruka
Rayman 2
Tings: 178780

Post by Haruka » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:03 pm

Ray502 wrote:Bundling the PlayStation version of Rayman 1 (in HD with aspects from Saturn version), Revolution (in HD with aspects from Dreamcast version) and an improved version of Rayman 3 HD would be cool. :)

We also can bank on Michel Ancel's message on Instagram stating his interest in a "fourth Rayman adventure". That would be even better if it became official.
And lets not forget about the PlayStation 1 version that also carries interesting exclusive elements like the dialogues between Rayman and the guardians for example. :)

superrayman3
Matuvu
Tings: 105

Post by superrayman3 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:43 pm

WizardMinecraft wrote:This sounds like a good idea but i have questions, 1. How will they remaster Rayman 1? Are they going to use the self made ubiart technology? 2. How will they remake Rayman 3 this time? are they just going to lazily slap Rayman 3 HD on but with more glitches and call it a "From the ground up remake"?
I've been thinking about those particular aspects of this idea for a while (especially in the case of Rayman 1 since that'd probably be the trickiest one to remaster considering it's a 2D sprite based game as opposed to 3D modeled games like its sequels) while the Ubiart technology would probably be viable and would greatly streamline the process, the fact that there's no public release of Ubiart available at this time makes it somewhat hard for anyone outside of Ubisoft to create any proof of concept material that could be used to pitch the idea to Ubisoft without the assistance of a Ubisoft developer who has access to the Ubiart engine, with this in mind the Construct 3 engine might be a viable alternative to work with in place of Ubiart in creating a proof of concept that could be pitched to Ubisof but I'm not entirely sure, either way the original sprites and backgrounds (with the sprites from the Jaguar version being used as the base since that version is the best looking when it comes to spritework) are probably going to need to be ripped, upscaled and cleaned/polished up, the only other option outside of that would be redrawing everything by hand and from the ground up, (an important element of the Rayman 1 remaster should be to retain as much of its distinctive graphical look and aesthetic as possible while at the same time making things look more polished in a similar vein to something like Earthworm Jim HD in order to retain the charm and familiarity of the original while improving the visuals).

As for Rayman 3 HD the game wouldn't be just another straight up rerelease per se but rather a remaster with the graphics from the HD version being touched up for 1080p resolution (the original version of Rayman 3 HD is locked at only 720p so the game would need to be reworked into 1080p to keep consistency with the remasters of the first two game if this idea were to actually happen), and in regard to bugs and glitches there would be bug testing periods throughout development with a final 4-6 month time period towards the end of development dedicated strictly to checking for and fixing as many bugs/glitches that were missed during the initial development as possible.
Ray502 wrote:Bundling the PlayStation version of Rayman 1 (in HD with aspects from Saturn version), Revolution (in HD with aspects from Dreamcast version) and an improved version of Rayman 3 HD would be cool. :)
I'm personally of the belief that the original game would need to be completely remastered for an HD collection so it wouldn't look as pixelated when viewed in HD, when LED widescreen TVs and HD resolutions started to become common in the mid-2000s, games from the CRT era started to look more "pixelated" when they were viewed on LED TVs compared to CRT TVs due to technology differences between the two types of TVs, and these differences ultimately ended up changing the way those older games looked and this more pixelated look tends to make games look worse when compared to a CRT TV as a result, that being said I can definitely see where you're coming from in regards to the idea of combining elements from the Saturn version into the PS1 version and I've already got a rough foundation in my head of many different elements I'd like to lift from each of the 3-4 main versions of Rayman 1 (Jaguar, PS1, Saturn PC) and blend the best elements from each of those versions together into a definitive Rayman 1 experience for this collection, in fact I actually posted an incomplete list of ideas I had come up with regarding this very concept here: https://raymanpc.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 0#p1220570 (I'll actually be posting the completed list of ideas soon as I'm still working on it).

For Rayman 2 I'd try to do the same thing as Rayman 1 by taking the best elements from the main versions of Rayman 2 (using the Revolution version as the base since it's the most recent console version) and combining those into a definitive Rayman 2 experience for this collection as well.

syntheticgerbil
Électoon
Tings: 0

Post by syntheticgerbil » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:30 am

Master wrote:It'd be a nice idea, but with Ubi's track record when it comes to remasters and ports, I'd worry that they'd introduce some glitches that would lessen the overall quality of the titles. Rayman 3 HD did have some nice touch-ups, but the visual glitches and that one which locks-out progress really doesn't inspire confidence in Ubi's porting abilities.
Haha it's funny because while I did get excited clicking on this thread that maybe an HD trilogy was on its way, I also agree with everything you are saying and don't really trust Ubisoft to do this well.

Rayman 3 HD had bad trophies and bad graphical glitches. Plus that game ending bug you refer to is especially crap. I tried to tell Ubisoft twice about that fucking bug and they kept telling me to check IGN guides to see how I can make it to the last level.