Wakakirri Rayman

Talk about Rayman himself and Rayman games!

Moderator: English moderators

wakakirri
Électoon
Tings: 5

Wakakirri Rayman

Post by wakakirri »

Hey, Everyone.
Feel free to move this post if it doesn't fit here, I'm new. :shock:

I was going through stuff and I found this game: Wakakirri Rayman Edutainment (I attached a picture of the cover). I couldn't find anything online about it. I know there is a school Dance festival in Aus that called wakakirri. Does anyone know anything about this game and I was planning on getting rid of it, and I guess is it worth anything?

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_1871.JPG

THEdragon
Musicien
Tings: 47495

Re: Wakakirri Rayman

Post by THEdragon »

Interesting, I've never heard of it. Do you know where it came from? Have you tried playing it?

According to Wikipedia, aside from the school dance festival, 'Wakakirri' is a word from the Aboriginal Wangaaypuwan people meaning "to dance a story". My best guess is that it's some kind of bootleg game that teaches about it using Rayman themes and characters.

If you could get any kind of video footage or even screenshots of the gameplay that would be greatly appreciated. I have no idea what the disc is worth, but I'm sure there would be users on this forum happy to take it if you're planning on selling it.
When you defeat nine antitoons with one punch!

Adsolution
Dora Dodemer
Tings: 5007

Post by Adsolution »

Can you rip and upload a disc image of the game?

mrpenguinb
Électoon
Tings: 20

Post by mrpenguinb »

Adsolution wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:04 pm
Can you rip and upload a disc image of the game?
I have uploaded my copy of the game to the Internet Archive, with a 600 DPI scan of the disc: https://archive.org/details/rayman-edu
I live in Australia and I have it, but who knows where or how it came from originally (it was given to me in a book of various other unrelated CDs).

I haven't played the game yet, but it is 16-bit, so you will need to either virtualise or run it on an older system.

mrpenguinb
Électoon
Tings: 20

Post by mrpenguinb »

Here is some gameplay I have recorded with the game running in DOSBox: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q1pscW ... e=youtu.be
The music doesn't work (not sure why) and the speed is very inconsistent. Maybe a better Soundcard is required.

Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 559639

Post by Hunchman801 »

Well, it looks just like good old Rayman Junior, doesn't it?

PluMGMK
Pizzicatta
Tings: 3000

Post by PluMGMK »

Indeed it does – I guess someone just decided to press a version of the CD without music, like FOCUS did for Rayman Gold. :tssk: That business with the speed is a known issue with DOSBox, and I think it can be solved by limiting the number of CPU cycles.

Droolie
Oumbr
Tings: 57640

Post by Droolie »

I just had a look as well - seems like this is Rayman Junior UK level 1, without music and with some Rayman goodies instead: the Raymanometer, an Antitoon screensaver, a Rayman Advance trailer and 3 wallpapers.

PluMGMK
Pizzicatta
Tings: 3000

Post by PluMGMK »

I remember using the Raymanometer. I used my mouse for months until I had got up enough distance to unlock "rewards", only to find that they no longer existed since Ubisoft had deleted all the legacy Rayman websites. :lol:

RayCarrot
Uglette
Tings: 26469

Post by RayCarrot »

I ripped the Advance trailer which was included and uploaded it. It uses the original color palettes which is pretty nice to see.

StelzenBomber
Murray
Tings: 20892

Post by StelzenBomber »

This is cool

I like how it used rayman 2 music and the 99lives code lol

Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

PluMGMK wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:13 pm
I remember using the Raymanometer. I used my mouse for months until I had got up enough distance to unlock "rewards", only to find that they no longer existed since Ubisoft had deleted all the legacy Rayman websites. :lol:
Childhood ruined. :(
RayCarrot wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:01 pm
I ripped the Advance trailer which was included and uploaded it. It uses the original color palettes which is pretty nice to see.
Nice catch! How do you suppose they were able to use the original palette at this point?

RayCarrot
Uglette
Tings: 26469

Post by RayCarrot »

Hunchman801 wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 7:15 pm
RayCarrot wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:01 pm
Nice catch! How do you suppose they were able to use the original palette at this point?
The game was original made with the original palettes, but changed late in development due to it appearing too dark on real hardware. (Source). It should actually be rather simple to make a rom hack and restore the original palettes. None of them are compressed, so it'd just be editing a few bytes.

Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Interesting, I always thought the saturation was caused by some sort of compression in the colors. Looks like it's only (some of) the sprites that were compressed, then!

And thanks for the link, that's a very informative interview.