Your introduction to Rayman

For discussions about the Rayman series.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Aaron
Vendeur
Tings: 81340

Re: Your introduction to Rayman

Post by Aaron »

My introduction to Rayman was 4 years ago, when I played my first Rayman game ever, Rayman 2: The Great Escape for PS1. I still remember how terrified I was of the spiders in it. I beat almost the entire game, the only level I couldn't beat however, is The Crow's Nest. Man, the final battle was so hard for me back then! In fact, it was so hard that after a point I asked my brother to help me beat him. Without my brother, I don't think I would've been able to beat the game (then).
Lil_DRE
Pti-lote
Tings: 2845

Post by Lil_DRE »

It was about 9 years ago I think: I went with my dad to a small electronics store, where most things were video games (both original and pirates), my dad told me what game he wanted, I looked at the different game covers for ps2 (since at that time I had a pirate ps2) that appeared printed on a paper, I reviewed little by little, then it was when I met Rayman (it was Rayman 3), because I chose it because I was very interested in this character, After deciding, the man who attended said that there was a period of 2 days for the game was ready (because those games that appeared on the paper were not yet echos for pirated consoles), after already spent the 2 days, I and my dad went to look for him, the game was ready, they put it in a bag and my father paid, I was excited to try it, after arriving home, I turned on ps2 and I started to play instantly and then it was like my favorite character was always and will be Rayman, the hero of my childhood, to this day I thank my Pope for buying me such a wonderful game.
-You probably want to know where I got that picture of Barbara :shock:
-You probably want to know what the Synthwave has to do with Barbara :confus:
-You probably want to stop reading this :fou:
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102745

Post by PluMGMK »

I think I need to correct your English!
Lil_DRE wrote:It was about 9 years ago I think: I went with my dad to a small electronics store, where most things were video games (both original and pirates), my dad asked me what game I wanted, I looked at the different game covers for ps2 (since at that time I had a pirate ps2) that appeared printed on a paper, I reviewed little by little, then it was when I met Rayman (it was Rayman 3), because I chose it because I was very interested in this character, After deciding, the man who attended said that there was a period of 2 days for the game was ready (because those games that appeared on the paper were not yet copied for pirated consoles), after already spent the 2 days, I and my dad went to look for him, the game was ready, they put it in a bag and my father paid, I was excited to try it, after arriving home, I turned on ps2 and I started to play instantly and then it was like my favorite character was always and will be Rayman, the hero of my childhood, to this day I thank my Dad for buying me such a wonderful game.
Lil_DRE
Pti-lote
Tings: 2845

Post by Lil_DRE »

Did you really notice that? God...
-You probably want to know where I got that picture of Barbara :shock:
-You probably want to know what the Synthwave has to do with Barbara :confus:
-You probably want to stop reading this :fou:
The Jonster
Joe
Tings: 78205

Post by The Jonster »

Bump.

I remember my first game was Rayman Advance, but that was only because it was the first port of Rayman 1 I had at the time. Was a pretty clean sweep after a few tries, it really wasn't that hard compared to the original, which I discovered a year later and tried that and found myself struggling A LOT compared to the Advance port, which wasn't surprising. I then went on to play Rayman 2, which I loved but was often scared of the Cave of Bad Dreams for its spooky music and Tomb of the Ancients for being damn scary for a 12-yr old like me back then. When I first played Rayman 3 later I played like I normally did for the past 2 games and discovered after playing that there was a hell of a lot of secrets I missed. I love going back through these 3 games over and over for nostalgia, but I do want to start trying the other 2 games soon, and in fact I have picked up Origins, though I play sporadically.
Always be true to yourself.
Sigs by Steo and R4Y_ANC3L
Steo
Globox
Tings: 91547

Post by Steo »

When I was about 7 or 8 years old, my cousins PS1 has been stolen. He had Rayman and just gave me it because his PS1 was gone and said well it's no use to me I've no PlayStation. Best thing that ever happened to me in my childhood apart from Christmas. I literally played the game so much and I loved it so much too (as I still do to this day). I don't know what even happened my first PS1 or the games but I may have been stupid enough to sell it when I got a PS2. I don't know if I kept Rayman and it got scratched or what, all I know is 2 weeks ago I a yellow PAL Rayman disc again like I had as a child, it's beautiful.

I'll literally never forget being given that game and I even remember fighting the moskito for the first time and everything. I literally thought well I'll try it and thought it's an odd little game at first until I grew attached to it almost instantly :P

What am I playing right now? Rayman 1 :mrgreen:
FC: 40210 | CF: 103059 | BOM: 94388 | LOTLD: 120486 | DOTK: 110450 | LS: 40810 | SBTC: 99693 | HH: 100028 | TOTL: 100563

TOTAL: 809687
The Jonster
Joe
Tings: 78205

Post by The Jonster »

Steo wrote:When I was about 7 or 8 years old, my cousins PS1 has been stolen. He had Rayman and just gave me it because his PS1 was gone and said well it's no use to me I've no PlayStation. Best thing that ever happened to me in my childhood apart from Christmas.
Well that sentence in itself is quite an interesting story towards how you were introduced into Rayman, and ironically funny. An almost similar thing happened to me when I first got into Rayman, the first game I mentioned above was actually given to me by my sister. She gave me this game since she lost interest in it and she lost her GBA in a bathroom near Atlantic City, along with most of her games (this was one of the few left over). :lol: It wasn't the best thing that happened, but it was quite the strange tale I like telling to my cousing who love playing video games.
Always be true to yourself.
Sigs by Steo and R4Y_ANC3L
Birds858
Creveton
Tings: 28481

Post by Birds858 »

When i was 3 year old, i got my PlayStation 2 with Rayman Raving Rabbids. (who’s is btw, my first game ever) I liked it even if i never finished the PS2 version, then i discover Rayman 3, i also liked it and that’s basically how i begin to like the series.
Steo wrote:"Don't you Know, About the bird ?
Well, Steo gonna tell you about the bird
A well a bird, bird, b-bird's the word
A well a bird Surfin' bird B-b-b aah, aah!
Pa pa pa pa, pa pa pa pa, pa pa pa pa, pa pa pa pa Pa pa pa pa, pa pa pa pa, pa pa pa pa
Papa, ooma mow mow Papa, ooma mow mow!"

Birds858 wrote:
The Jonster wrote:Alright I have this one then which still amuses me a little since it brought up waifus.

Birds858 wrote:The most hottest Rayman characters is obviously Count Razoff.
It’s not awesome, it’s a fact.

Rayman 3 PS2 Score :
FC: 23977 | CF: 58813 | BOM: 35256 | LOTLD: 81011 | DOTK: 58659 | LS: 31220 | SBTC: 34536 | HH: 44581 | TOTL: 48670 | Total: 416723
StelzenBomber
Dragon mécanique
Tings: 25637

Post by StelzenBomber »

as a lil kid my dad once borowed rayman 3 fro og xbox and i loved it

once we had to give it back i got rayman 3d, loved it

thats basicly it
Gordswitch
Ugly
Tings: 715

Post by Gordswitch »

I was first introduced to Rayman when I believe either at a dentist office, or possibly some other place, I got to play a little bit of Rayman 2 The Great Escape fro PS1. I never figured out how to break out of the prison cell. I also remember playing a little bit of the N64 version at a building that had a kids area with video games. After that I mostly forgot about the series until the Rabbids starting to become popular in the late 2000s.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 610019

Post by Hunchman801 »

Well, it must've been frustrating to be stuck in the cell! :lol:
Henchman1000
Fantasnip
Tings: 1280

Post by Henchman1000 »

I saw a similar thread, I think, but who cares! Gonna tell anyway.
Got Rayman M demo around 2001/2002, but got into it at late 2006. Got Rayman DS (first lended by a friend, then bought it) in 2007 and that was when I started to be really into it. Even got Rayman 3, but played it in 2014 for the first time.
Can still remember my first time doing Razorbeard's boss and the emotions (fear and wonder) I felt during that moment, hehe!
Aaron
Vendeur

Post by Aaron »

Henchman1000 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:13 am Can still remember my first time doing Razorbeard's boss and the emotions (fear and wonder) I felt during that moment, hehe!
Same, the final boss (especially on PS1) was awesome!

The PS1 version of R2 was the first ever Rayman game I played, and it was much more of a challenge and more fun than in the other versions, dodging the spiky balls in the tunnel posed more of a threat I feel that was more real, partially because of the reverse controls, but mainly because there were more and more of them the further you got in the bossfight.

I remember at the time I couldn't beat it so I had to ask my brother for help but now I would beat it no problem. Good times.... :nostalgic:
Henchman1000
Fantasnip

Post by Henchman1000 »

Aaron wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:58 am Same, the final boss (especially on PS1) was awesome!

The PS1 version of R2 was the first ever Rayman game I played, and it was much more of a challenge and more fun than in the other versions, dodging the spiky balls in the tunnel posed more of a threat I feel that was more real, partially because of the reverse controls, but mainly because there were more and more of them the further you got in the bossfight.

I remember at the time I couldn't beat it so I had to ask my brother for help but now I would beat it no problem. Good times.... :nostalgic:
Agreed, I saw a gameplay of the boss from the PS1 version and it had more action than the in the other versions.
Kinda wish the final boss in the pc version lasted longer and/or had that part of the fight as well!
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Aaron wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:58 am I remember at the time I couldn't beat it so I had to ask my brother for help but now I would beat it no problem. Good times.... :nostalgic:
In order to make the Jano chase easier, I remember asking my brother for assistance, with one of us jumping above chasms and the other shooting at those green spikes. :nostalgic:
Aaron
Vendeur

Post by Aaron »

Teamwork, I see :mrgreen:

I could complete almost the entire game though, all the levels leading up to the Razorbeard bossfight anyway. I tried multiple times though and I remember I would come pretty close, but falling short since it was still too much for me lol.
dr_st
Eig
Tings: 40813

Post by dr_st »

Speaking of - my 8-year old just beat Rayman 2 with all lums and cages about a week ago. :D He played the Dreamcast version using nullDC and a controller, and played it all by himself. I gave advice and taught, but I didn't play a single segment for him. I did tell him about the infinite ammo easter egg, which made the Grolgoth fight easier. At some point I'll have him do it "the proper way", and also tell him about the super-secret 1000th lum. But first he should probably finish Rayman Origins, which he's about 1/3-1/2 through. 8)
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Now did he find all the hidden Lums and cages in the Sanctuary of Stone and Fire by himself? :o
dr_st
Eig
Tings: 40813

Post by dr_st »

I directed him in some places, as I said. Just never took the controller from him.
Henchman1000
Fantasnip

Post by Henchman1000 »

For sure the Sanctuary of Fire and Stone is that level where you spend most time exploring and that's why I like it.

Also the first Rayman 2 (on DS) level I played when a friend lended me their game to ask me to help them with it.