Which Rayman Games Are Canon?

Talk about Rayman himself and Rayman games!

Moderator: English moderators

Birds858
Mr Sax
Tings: 28470

Re: Which Rayman Games Are Canon?

Post by Birds858 »

Well, every Rayman Games including the UbiArt (except some portage on the GBC and the GBA) are canon.
Steo wrote:"Don't you Know, About the bird ?
Well, Steo gonna tell you about the bird
A well a bird, bird, b-bird's the word
A well a bird Surfin' bird B-b-b aah, aah!
Pa pa pa pa, pa pa pa pa, pa pa pa pa, pa pa pa pa Pa pa pa pa, pa pa pa pa, pa pa pa pa
Papa, ooma mow mow Papa, ooma mow mow!"

Birds858 wrote:
The Jonster wrote:Alright I have this one then which still amuses me a little since it brought up waifus.

Birds858 wrote:The most hottest Rayman characters is obviously Count Razoff.
It’s not awesome, it’s a fact.

Rayman 3 PS2 Score :
FC: 23977 | CF: 58813 | BOM: 35256 | LOTLD: 81011 | DOTK: 58659 | LS: 31220 | SBTC: 34536 | HH: 44581 | TOTL: 48670 | Total: 416723
Lil_DRE
Premier Grand Mini
Tings: 2845

Post by Lil_DRE »

Well, Rayman 1,2 and 3 are Canon, Origins and Legends are spin-off but they are the base series of the Ubi-Art art.
Michel Ancel owes us answers >:c
-You probably want to know where I got that picture of Barbara :shock:
-You probably want to know what the Synthwave has to do with Barbara :confus:
-You probably want to stop reading this :fou:
The Jonster
Ly
Tings: 92405

Post by The Jonster »

Birds858 wrote:Well, every Rayman Games including the UbiArt (except some portage on the GBC and the GBA) are canon.
Hehe, why am I not surprised you’d say that? :)
Life happens. Just gotta roll with it!
Steo wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:05 pm
^ reminds me of mixing up directions and breaking the forum. :lol:
PluMGMK
Estellia
Location: An tír ina labhraítear (beagán ar fad) an teanga ina bhfuil sé seo scríofa
Tings: 7325

Post by PluMGMK »

The Jonster wrote:Well I can definitely say imo that Rayman 1, 2, and 3 are definitely canon. Though with the recent posts from Michel Ancel wanting to do Rayman's "fourth adventure" in the future, I find myself questioning where the UbiArt games fit in.
Michel's vision for Rayman as being set in a really wacky world was most faithfully borne out by the UbiArt games, so I doubt he'd disavow them like that. The least head-scratching theory I've heard is that the fourth adventure could be an interquel, taking place directly after Rayman 3. In that case, André could reappear, like he was originally supposed to in RRR…
The Jonster
Ly

Post by The Jonster »

PluMGMK wrote:
The Jonster wrote:Well I can definitely say imo that Rayman 1, 2, and 3 are definitely canon. Though with the recent posts from Michel Ancel wanting to do Rayman's "fourth adventure" in the future, I find myself questioning where the UbiArt games fit in.
Michel's vision for Rayman as being set in a really wacky world was most faithfully borne out by the UbiArt games, so I doubt he'd disavow them like that. The least head-scratching theory I've heard is that the fourth adventure could be an interquel, taking place directly after Rayman 3. In that case, André could reappear, like he was originally supposed to in RRR…
That would be cool to see! :)
12RayChienne9
Pâquerette
Tings: 13017

Post by 12RayChienne9 »

In my opinion about the games being considered canon... Here's mine:
Rayman 1: Yes, it is canon.
Rayman Junior/Rayman Brain Games: It's possible but I'm sure...
Rayman 2: The same opinion as Rayman 1
Rayman M/Arena/Rush: As it is a spinoff, it's not considered canon except certain stuff such as the characters (not counting skins)...
Rayman 3 (Game Boy Advance): Perphaps...
Rayman 3: The same opinion as Rayman 1 and Rayman 2.
Rayman: Hoodlums' Revenge: The same as Rayman 3 (Game Boy Advance)
Rayman Raving Rabbids and its sequels: Not canon to be honest.
Rayman Raving Rabbids (Game Boy Advance): It could be canon...
Rayman Raving Rabbids (Nintendo DS): Eh... It seems to be one of the paradoxes of time (I'm talking about the game's engine is the same as of Rayman DS's)
Every UbiArt-made Rayman game since Rayman Origins: No, all the content of those games are illogical. So I don't consider them as canon, so instead I think those could be part dreams Rayman and Globox had after Rayman 3's events and before Rayman: Hoodlums' Revenge's events or even before Rayman 4's events.

That's it. Please respect my opinion if you disagree.
Steo
Rayman 3
Tings: 227415

Post by Steo »

I always found the games very inconsistent, even Rayman 1, 2, and 3 all have so many differences that they're almost nothing alike, aside from the fact that they have the same main characters.
FC: 40210 | CF: 103059 | BOM: 94388 | LOTLD: 120486 | DOTK: 110450 | LS: 40810 | SBTC: 99693 | HH: 100028 | TOTL: 100563

TOTAL: 809687
Droolie
Oumbr
Tings: 59285

Post by Droolie »

Changing my original answer.

All of the games are canon, including different versions of the same game. Or rather, canon is not a concept that can be applied to the Rayman franchise.
The Glade of Dreams is a dream world dreamt by Polokus/the Bubble Dreamer/whatever name he chooses to use. Possibly, Polokus himself is another dream by a greater entity (Michel Ancel?). It makes sense that there are inconsistencies all over the different iterations of the world and its timeline, as this is what happens in dreams.

It seems the dreamer has some connection to the human realm, as they dreamt up Barbara and had Rayman travel to Earth in Rayman Raving Rabbids 2.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 570814

Post by Hunchman801 »

Well, at the moment there isn't an official canon, and I doubt Ubi intends to come up with one, so we'll probably be speculating for a while!
insert sig for RPC's 17th bday
The Jonster
Ly

Post by The Jonster »

Or rather, canon is not a concept that can be applied to the Rayman franchise.
I agree with this answer, the games just aren't consistent enough for me to really be able to connect them together, especially in regards to Origins and 3, as well as the original Rayman 1 and Rayman 2. Aside from a few similarities between each group, they're all pretty different from each other.
Steo
Rayman 3
Tings: 227415

Post by Steo »

They're all kind of unique in their own way.
FC: 40210 | CF: 103059 | BOM: 94388 | LOTLD: 120486 | DOTK: 110450 | LS: 40810 | SBTC: 99693 | HH: 100028 | TOTL: 100563

TOTAL: 809687
milawide
Bébé Globox
Tings: 30

Post by milawide »

I have a rather crazy theory. Polokus exists in Rayman 1 and he could be limbless or not. The events of the first game are canon to "real life" during which Polokus hasn't gone to sleep yet. Then, between 1 and 2 he goes to sleep and every game after that is a different dream/nightmare Polokus has. He can basically modify reality with his dreams. The source of the nightmare is Mr. Dark trying to take control over reality/the universe. Mr. Dark's form in the dream world is probably Jano. The great protoon in the dream world is the heart of the world. In Polokus' dreams the inhabitants almost all have limbs compared to the real world. Rayman and Globox probably met each other in the dream world or they were already dreamed as friends or not. This could explain some of the inconsistencies like why Globox doesn't seem to have a family in 3 nor remembers them. Some of their reincarnations will have some memories of their past experiences while others are simply not a thing.
PluMGMK
Estellia
Location: An tír ina labhraítear (beagán ar fad) an teanga ina bhfuil sé seo scríofa

Post by PluMGMK »

Funnily enough, a theory formed in my head yesterday with some of the same elements. It was about why there are so many Rayman skins in Rayman Legends, while Rayman is said to be unique in Rayman 2. Basically, if we go with the story in Rayman 2, Polokus never met Rayman until the latter found the masks. After that, Polokus returned to his world, and his influence came to be felt much more strongly. Since he became friends with Rayman, he began dreaming up more Raypeople. Simple, yet somewhat satisfactory.

This probably takes the opposite tack to ^'s theory though, and it's not really as interesting. :oops2:
Lil_DRE
Premier Grand Mini
Tings: 2845

Post by Lil_DRE »

The Jonster wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:22 am Bump.

Well I can definitely say imo that Rayman 1, 2, and 3 are definitely canon. Though with the recent posts from Michel Ancel wanting to do Rayman's "fourth adventure" in the future, I find myself questioning where the UbiArt games fit in.
Maybe that games fit in like another timeline, Origins was like a reboot of the saga.
-You probably want to know where I got that picture of Barbara :shock:
-You probably want to know what the Synthwave has to do with Barbara :confus:
-You probably want to stop reading this :fou:
StelzenBomber
Mr Sax
Tings: 25632

Post by StelzenBomber »

Origis with its....wtf kind of story kinda would make sense to not be canon
raymanHUN
Pizzicatta
Tings: 3436

Post by raymanHUN »

StelzenBomber wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:45 am Origis with its....wtf kind of story kinda would make sense to not be canon
I - from the bottom of my heart - hope it's not canon. It doesn't really makes sense, and also takes away from the mysterious origin of the character...
minimalism
#Rubber mark#
Bétilla
Tings: 82961

Post by #Rubber mark# »

Lil_DRE wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:59 am Maybe that games fit in like another timeline, Origins was like a reboot of the saga.
I like this idea.
TheAlexinator
Électoon
Tings: 0

Post by TheAlexinator »

Rayman, Rayman 2: The Great Escape, Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc, Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends (and maybe Rayman Mini?)
PluMGMK
Estellia

Post by PluMGMK »

raymanHUN wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:13 pm
StelzenBomber wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:45 am Origis with its....wtf kind of story kinda would make sense to not be canon
I - from the bottom of my heart - hope it's not canon. It doesn't really makes sense, and also takes away from the mysterious origin of the character...
What part of it takes away from the mysterious origin of the character? I think only the trailer showed that scene with Betilla creating Rayman, not the game itself.
StelzenBomber
Mr Sax
Tings: 25632

Post by StelzenBomber »

Also add in the first Rabbids game and thats a canon i could beleavie