Rayman 3 scores

For discussions about the Rayman series.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Steo
Globox
Tings: 91547

Re: Rayman 3 scores

Post by Steo »

Thanks for the info. BOM is a nightmare so that's definitely being left until last. I could probably get a couple thousand more on CF, even without all those new more difficult methods. I'm pretty sure when I played that I did pretty terrible. Same with FC in the way that I messed up the combo in part 4 pretty bad, but that's still only worth a couple thousand more.

LS though, I probably did rush in and take a green gem before a yellow accidentally, so that's something I guess I should do.

I kind of wish I had the scores on PC, maybe one day I will stick to the PC version, especially now that we know how to make Better Rayman 3 work really well on Linux. My score on PC is 575k which can be easily improved, and BOM on that is only 41k, which shows how much I don't want to play it. :P

I still prefer to use a controller, but you've shown that it's clearly user preference. I thought a keyboard was a disadvantage due to the camera controls, but I guess once you master the input method, it really doesn't make much of a difference.

EDIT: I managed to do that capture mode trick you showed me before to get the matuvu on the ceiling in combo on DOTK part 4 also. I also did manage to get the matuvu on FC part 2 after 5 gems, but I still messed up that run so bad that I didn't beat the score.

EDIT2: I got 40k on LS, and I managed to get the matuvu after 10 gems on FC part 2 also. It's still not worth much, but a few extra points in this level really make a difference.

EDIT3: Alright, I'm pretty happy with 40210 on FC considering how awkward the level is. I got the three matuvu combo and then got the fourth one in combo after the ring of gems at the beginning of the level. I definitely think my scores could be better on CF, BOM, SBTC, and HH. CF is probably the easiest of the lot to improve on, but that doesn't mean it's easy either. :P

BOM I'll probably leave alone until I'm very happy with the other scores, as it seems to be a complete nightmare when it comes to part 3. There's no way I'm going to manage to string that long combo together without breaking it into smaller parts, and even if I somehow did, there's still the green gem which needs to be taken for 9k, and a failure to get it for 9k would result in a restart, meaning it would take forever to actually manage the combo again.

EDIT4: OK so I replayed DOTK on PC because we found out how to make Better Rayman 3 work on Linux. I ended up getting 110724, even though I actually had 100 less points than I did on Xbox at the beginning of part 8. I guess I must have messed up somewhere during part 8 on Xbox since I only ended up with 110450.
FC: 40210 | CF: 103059 | BOM: 94388 | LOTLD: 120486 | DOTK: 110450 | LS: 40810 | SBTC: 99693 | HH: 100028 | TOTL: 100563

TOTAL: 809687
Maz
El Stomacho
Tings: 23133

Post by Maz »

Almost at 800k, nice! :up:
Steo wrote: BOM I'll probably leave alone until I'm very happy with the other scores, as it seems to be a complete nightmare when it comes to part 3. There's no way I'm going to manage to string that long combo together without breaking it into smaller parts, and even if I somehow did, there's still the green gem which needs to be taken for 9k, and a failure to get it for 9k would result in a restart, meaning it would take forever to actually manage the combo again.
I don't know your BOM ambitions, but if you really struggle with part 3, you can also split it up into 2 Combos.

1. Combo: As soon as the level starts, jump on the mushrooms and take the 2 Yellow Gems (Note: The Hoodblaster does not need to survive for this. If you feel like getting a measly amount of extra Points, you can restart the level until either 2 instead of 1 Muddibogs or the Hoodblaster stay alive). Kill the Muddibog(s)/the Hoodblaster, and get the Blue Can. Jump on the mushroom to the right and collect the Yellow Gem, then kill the Muddibog in front of you. Jump on the mushroom to the right and take the Yellow Gem, then jump back to the small island and kill the second Muddibog. Collect the 3 Yellow Gems and defeat the final Muddibog. Enter Look Mode, get the Matuvu and finally, take the Red Gem.

2. Combo: Break the Cage next to the sleepng Hoodblaster, then renew the Lockjaw. Start off by taking the Red Gem, then kill the previously sleeping Hoodblaster. The rest of the Combo remains pretty much the same, except for the fact that there's a few additional items left compared to the "optimal" route. Collect all these items as you go through the motions of that Combo.

You can also split BOM4 into 2 Combos. Getting the Green Gem for 9k would look something like this, even though it's easier to - after collecting the Red Gem - get the Matuvu first, THEN kill the Hoodblaster and play the rest of the Combo. The last room with a bunch of enemies should be pretty obvious.

Like I said, I don't know what your ambitions for BOM are; if 99.999 would be good enough for you right now, you're greatly overestimating the importance of Part 3. The most important thing for a "decent" Score like 99.999 is to get at least 2 Razoff Glitches in the mansion, the rest of the level has a pretty large margin for error.

The only time you need to REALLY worry about BOM3 (or BOM4 for that matter) is when you try to go north of 101k. Which you shouldn't consider unless you're way beyond the 900k total. For now, don't be afraid to play it. If only you can manage the Razoff Double Glitch, you'd be surprised at how (relatively) easily a good Score in BOM can be achieved ;)

Edit: All that being said, your 94k is already a pretty amazing Score for BOM. I think that HH has the biggest room for improvement currently (well, technically it would be SBTC, but let's be honest, noone wants to play that shit) so maybe try going for that next. Whatever you decide on, I hope to see you break the 800k soon!
FC: 54.450 (PB: 55.280) | CF: 131.900 (PB: 134.150) | BOM: 100.899 | LOTLD: 122.619 (PB: 123.839) | DOTK: 118.640 (PB: 122.070) | LS: 43.110 (PB: 43.470) | SBTC: 110.479 | HH: 120.609 | TOTL: 118.689

Total: 921.395 (old savegame, current Total: 902.045)
Steo
Globox

Post by Steo »

Oh yeah, I actually replayed BOM since I posted that and forgot to update my post. I ended up restarting until 2 muddibogs survived, then I hit one, went back for the 2 yellow gems, hit the other, took the lockjaw got the other gem in the way to the 3 muddibogs on the other side, along with the 3 above them and the red gem after defeating them, then took the matuvu to end the combo.

After that first combo, I managed to string the rest of the combo together right from the beginning to where the level ends, and of course, I also got the green gem for 9k. I actually had to restart a few times after a successful combo thanks to the green gem combo going wrong.

In part 5, I managed the double Razoff glitch, but it took hours of restarting before it actually worked.

Thanks also, I actually do hope to make it to 800k. I didn't think I'd ever do it, but now that I'm close, I want to try get there.

HH, I know I can improve on, I just messed up many combos when I played it last time, though some of them are hard to string together. SBTC is a nightmare. I can get 17k on part one using the glitch, but then part 2 is a bit of a nightmare too with thosw scaffolds, not to mention part 3 with the snowboarding and trying to get the green gem in combo.

EDIT: I didn't manage to do the greatest on the first part of HH because I couldn't manage the combo on the crates very well. I only had 20k after part one, then after trying part two so many times, I think I only got the first green gem for 6k, but since I had managed to get the tribelle, I just kept going. I still managed to get 100k, so I think it's fine for now. I'm dreading the thoughts of playing SBTC part 2. :P

EDIT2: I managed to get enough points in SBTC to just about grind the 800k I wanted. In part 3, I got the green gem for 4500. I know it's possible to get an extra 3000 out of it, but I gave up trying to flip on the edge because it literally only worked one time for me where I could even make it to the yellow gems in time.
FC: 40210 | CF: 103059 | BOM: 94388 | LOTLD: 120486 | DOTK: 110450 | LS: 40810 | SBTC: 99693 | HH: 100028 | TOTL: 100563

PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102745

Post by PluMGMK »

So I was playing SBTC2, and I had the Lockjaw and got past the first two snowmen. The Lockjaw ran out just as I got to the door with a HMF on the ceiling under that netting. I hesitated, knowing that I had to go through some yellow gems to get the HMF, and thinking I could do better if I went back to renew the Lockjaw before getting those gems. I was just turning back, then I heard a regretful vocalization from the next room, "Ah-Hmmmm…" – the blasted Hoodboom had committed suicide! But I'd already restarted a few times to get the first Spineroo in combo, and to avoid the green gem problem, so I said screw it…

I need to make an "SBTC2 notes to self" document, between the green gem problem, this stupid Hoodboom, and the various other mistakes I made later on, failing to combo so many Elite Mongers…
Maz
El Stomacho

Post by Maz »

Congratulations, Steo! That's a huge milestone right there :up:

Too bad about the Green Gem, i bet you were hoping to get more points out of SBTC but this *** wouldn't let you. I feel your pain on that one. Oh well, 800k is 800k. Just for reference, there is a trick which lets you get pretty much an infinite amount of points in part 3. It's time-consuming and really annoying, but if you're ever stuck at getting past 100k, you can fall back on this to make it happen. Though I'd imagine that you will get past 100k anyway at some point ;)
PluMGMK wrote: So I was playing SBTC2, and I had the Lockjaw and got past the first two snowmen. The Lockjaw ran out just as I got to the door with a HMF on the ceiling under that netting. I hesitated, knowing that I had to go through some yellow gems to get the HMF, and thinking I could do better if I went back to renew the Lockjaw before getting those gems. I was just turning back, then I heard a regretful vocalization from the next room, "Ah-Hmmmm…" – the blasted Hoodboom had committed suicide! But I'd already restarted a few times to get the first Spineroo in combo, and to avoid the green gem problem, so I said screw it…
This is probably not your fault. The problem is that the Hoodboom can sometimes stand underneath one of the platforms of the scaffolding, in which case his grenades are likely to get stuck once he throws them up. They end up falling back down and kill him, there's nothing you can really do about that. Maybe it's possible to prevent the Hoodboom from getting in that position, but his suicidal tendencies are something I've always struggled with myself.

But if you want to make sure that doesn't happen again, there's actually a way to access the HMF without taking the Yellow Gems. There's a box right next to the Wooden Door which you can jump on, if you helicopter towards the HMF from there, you should be able to just barely get it.

I also started fooling around a bit in R3 again. The break gave me back a little bit of motivation to look into some things, let's see how long it takes for this game to make me rage again :P
FC: 54.450 (PB: 55.280) | CF: 131.900 (PB: 134.150) | BOM: 100.899 | LOTLD: 122.619 (PB: 123.839) | DOTK: 118.640 (PB: 122.070) | LS: 43.110 (PB: 43.470) | SBTC: 110.479 | HH: 120.609 | TOTL: 118.689

PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

Maz wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:21 pm But if you want to make sure that doesn't happen again, there's actually a way to access the HMF without taking the Yellow Gems. There's a box right next to the Wooden Door which you can jump on, if you helicopter towards the HMF from there, you should be able to just barely get it.
Sounds like a much more logical approach than the one I took. Thanks for the tip! :)
Maz wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:21 pmI also started fooling around a bit in R3 again. The break gave me back a little bit of motivation to look into some things, let's see how long it takes for this game to make me rage again :P
I look forward to seeing what comes of it! :D

So, in the heel of the hunt, I managed to improve my score by about 19k, and I'm now on 527k. I'm very happy about that! :fou: BUT my cage count is now only 59/60, which hasn't been the case for probably over a decade. Seems I was so happy with my combo with the two Hoodoos at the start of SBTC3 that I forgot to actually break the cage! :oops2:
Steo
Globox

Post by Steo »

Maz wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:21 pm Congratulations, Steo! That's a huge milestone right there :up:

Too bad about the Green Gem, i bet you were hoping to get more points out of SBTC but this *** wouldn't let you. I feel your pain on that one. Oh well, 800k is 800k. Just for reference, there is a trick which lets you get pretty much an infinite amount of points in part 3. It's time-consuming and really annoying, but if you're ever stuck at getting past 100k, you can fall back on this to make it happen. Though I'd imagine that you will get past 100k anyway at some point ;)
Thanks, and yeah there are some weird things in SBTC3. I noticed if you went left of the first spineroo, you could continue the combo with some flips, and sometimes you randomly get launched in the air, missing the spineroo completely, though the combo ends up being worth over 2000 if you launch properly so it's worth it. Without being launched, the combo is still worth around 1500-1800 depending on how many flips you get before hitting the spineroo and collecting the 5 gems after it.
PluMGMK wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:19 pm I was just turning back, then I heard a regretful vocalization from the next room, "Ah-Hmmmm…" – the blasted Hoodboom had committed suicide!
That kept happening to me too where the hoodboom kept getting killed in SBTC2. I ended up just going through, hitting him 5 times, renewing the HMF again, then breaking the snowman and taking the gems before defeating him in combo.
PluMGMK wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:45 pm Seems I was so happy with my combo with the two Hoodoos at the start of SBTC3 that I forgot to actually break the cage! :oops2:
That cage in part 3 actually leaves a red gem also, I usually give both Hoodoo's 3 hits then break the pigs and collect the gems, activate the Hoodoo at the cage again, quickly defeat him, then convert the Lum and take the red gem. Then get to the other one and activate that hoodoo, convert the Lum and hit the slapdash, convert that Lum and get on the funkyboard to continue the combo.

I'd imagine you did exactly that, except without the red gem from the cage is all. :P

PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

That, and I also didn't realize until too late that I could've continued the combo on the funkyboard. :P
Steo
Globox

Post by Steo »

A couple of flips and the yellow gems make it worth another couple of hundred. Last year, I didn't even know that flips gave you points, since they only do on the first run. :P

The Jonster
Joe
Tings: 78205

Post by The Jonster »

A nice congrats to Steo for reaching 800K! :mryellow:

I haven’t played in awhile but I’m going to start practicing. I don’t have my save from my other computer for now so this is a good refresher, starting from 0. Gives me all the chance to improve.
Always be true to yourself.
Sigs by Steo and R4Y_ANC3L
Maz
El Stomacho

Post by Maz »

Steo wrote: Thanks, and yeah there are some weird things in SBTC3. I noticed if you went left of the first spineroo, you could continue the combo with some flips, and sometimes you randomly get launched in the air, missing the spineroo completely, though the combo ends up being worth over 2000 if you launch properly so it's worth it. Without being launched, the combo is still worth around 1500-1800 depending on how many flips you get before hitting the spineroo and collecting the 5 gems after it.
I'm surprised you didn't know about that already, to be honest. It is one of the things 1234 featured in one of his snowboarding videos. Maybe you'd like to take a look at it and see if there's anything else you didn't know about until now. If you didn't see it yet, it will definitely prove to be very useful for future shots at SBTC ;)

Steo
Globox

Post by Steo »

Thanks for that, there are actually many little tricks there I wasn't aware of. I had a go at that trick with the gate, and it's frustrating for 2 reasons. Firstly, sometimes you only get one flip, meaning you only get 30 points instead of 90, -1 for hitting the gate. Secondly, if you get impatient trying to get back up the hill, you can end up accidentally going down the hill and then you have to restart. :P

It's still handy if you're really patient, but it will definitely take a while to make up the extra points.

EDIT: I had another go at SBTC, I done that trick for a while on part 3, and then fell down the hill accidentally when I had 92k. I just narrowly missed the green gem that would have taken me over 100k due to the combo, but I didn't want to restart because it took me ages. I still ended up with 99693, which beats my previous score by over 9000.

The Jonster
Joe
Tings: 78205

Post by The Jonster »

Phew, #12 already! That's amazing! To think a year ago you thought you weren't very good at scoring in this game. Come next year, you're a top 15 scorer. Really, very well done on this! The focus, hard work, and all those hours you spent are really paying off! :)
Always be true to yourself.
Sigs by Steo and R4Y_ANC3L
Maz
El Stomacho

Post by Maz »

Tried to record the final combo in LOTLD3 for the past week. During a run today, I had to stop recording because the phone rang, and of course, when I resumed the game, that was the one try where I succeeded. Classic.

Steo
Globox

Post by Steo »

Well that sounds really annoying, but of course something like that would happen. :winkgrin:

I haven't played the game since the other day, I kind of just want to choose one level from time to time and take my time on each part to try improve my score. I don't expect it to be easy for me to improve from here.

Razorbeard
Mister Death
Tings: 9170

Post by Razorbeard »

Just popping in to report that I've passed 500,000 points for the first time tonight. It ain't much in a world where only three of the top 50 scores are below 600k, but I'm proud of it and now I think it's time to start learning all those special tricks to push it even higher.

I'd like to thank the green gem in the snowboard race for making this possible. I think the first registered score I had was in the mid 300s, and recently I pushed that up to the 460k that I have on the leaderboards right now. Took a lot of work to do this, and there's still a lot more work to be done (especially since this is a mere 63k short of beating what the wiki currently reports as the highest score on PC in the US, and I intend to steal that spot some day).

On a related note, who can I talk to to get my leaderboard position updated? The actual code thing still seems to be down, which is pretty unfortunate, but hey.

FC: 26949 | CF: 75375 | BOM: 49608 | LOTLD: 93259 | DOTK: 76043 | LS: 37530 | SBTC: 66383 | HH: 69139 | TOTL: 78216

Total: 572502
#1 in the US on PC
Steo
Globox

Post by Steo »

Nice work! :up:

Keep up the good work and you'll surely earn that 63k to get there. ;)

PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

Razorbeard wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:26 am On a related note, who can I talk to to get my leaderboard position updated? The actual code thing still seems to be down, which is pretty unfortunate, but hey.
I just did it for you, you seem trustworthy. :winkgrin: Nice work!

I've uploaded your screenshot as an attachment for posterity:
unknown.jpg
Steo
Globox

Post by Steo »

Oops! Well I'd have done it last night, but being the eejit I am I didn't notice the end of the post mentioned that. :oops2:

Maz
El Stomacho

Post by Maz »

Yaay! After months of this game driving me insane (though to be fair, I wasn't playing too much due to getting frustrated), I finally managed to finish LOTLD with 123.839 Points. Not as much as I'd initially hoped, but at this point, I'll take anything :fou:

Will definitely have to revisit that level at some point since 125k+ is possible, but for now I'm really happy with my result!