Bye Ancel

Talk about Rayman himself and Rayman games!

Moderator: English moderators

bunnieblaster
Bégoniax
Tings: 6098

Re: Bye Ancel

Post by bunnieblaster » Mon May 31, 2010 9:20 pm

And the scary razorbeard hologram in the hall of doors...

the first time I saw it that was so creepy

Haruka
Rayman 2
Tings: 178780

Post by Haruka » Mon May 31, 2010 9:26 pm

spiraldoor wrote: I don't think they would take those obscure spin-offs too seriously. Mr Dark only died in the GBC game (which is not part of the main continuity), and even then his death was ambiguous. They could just bring him back in Rayman 4 with no explanation, and nobody would complain. At the very least his presence in the spin-offs is evidence that they haven't forgotten the character entirely.
I understand your point of view but in case of them taking spin-offs "more seriously" this could be make more sense. But now reminding the concept art of the R1 worlds in 3D version, that would be something I would love to see in a R4, a strike of nostalgia!

Jake360
Obus à Pattes
Tings: 320

Post by Jake360 » Mon May 31, 2010 9:39 pm

I would like a more open world Rayman game, could have RPG elements as well. But with supposedly such a small team working on it, if there is even a R4 in development, i'd imagine it would be similar to Rayman 3. I would be far from disapointed with that though considering the dry spell we've had from the main series.

Made by ME!!! :D

Puruun
Antitoon
Tings: 0

Post by Puruun » Mon May 31, 2010 9:45 pm

I don't think RPG elements fit in a Rayman game, but I wouldn't mind it if they put it in.

El Dango
Clark
Tings: 105675

Post by El Dango » Mon May 31, 2010 10:01 pm

I would. Never liked RPGs.
Do NOT forget to vote and participate in the SOTM and Manipulate the Image competitions!
(If you don't wanna, however, that's perfectly okay (I'm hardly a role model))

Cairnie
Magicien
Tings: 78430

Post by Cairnie » Mon May 31, 2010 10:10 pm

I think a Rayman RPG would actually work if it's done right. What I would not like it to be is a damn fetch quest [completely different thing].
giant photobucket picture wuz ere

so wuz old psn banner

you know old out of date stuff

El Dango
Clark
Tings: 105675

Post by El Dango » Mon May 31, 2010 10:13 pm

Well, it shouldn't count as a part of the main series then.
Do NOT forget to vote and participate in the SOTM and Manipulate the Image competitions!
(If you don't wanna, however, that's perfectly okay (I'm hardly a role model))

Phoenixan
Uglette
Tings: 26323

Post by Phoenixan » Mon May 31, 2010 10:15 pm

StaceyW wrote:I think a Rayman RPG would actually work if it's done right. What I would not like it to be is a damn fetch quest [completely different thing].
When you mention it, I keep thinking something more along the lines of System Shock or Bio Shock. Just build Rayman's abilities in specific ways, rather than be given the powers in an order.

Not that I'm sure that I'd want something like that, mind you, or know if it'd work out, but hey, just a thought.

Cairnie
Magicien
Tings: 78430

Post by Cairnie » Mon May 31, 2010 10:17 pm

If it worked like Mario and Luigi then yeah that'd be great since they're the kind of RPGs I love.
giant photobucket picture wuz ere

so wuz old psn banner

you know old out of date stuff

Sabertooth
Joe
Tings: 53310

Post by Sabertooth » Mon May 31, 2010 10:59 pm

StaceyW wrote:If it worked like Mario and Luigi then yeah that'd be great since they're the kind of RPGs I love.
Rayman & Globox. Rayman could use his fists for normal attacks with special moves that involve other parts of his body, while Globox could use his rain dance and some other made-up attacks.

EDIT: Wow the ampersand looks weird on this site.
BestXIII wrote:The knaarens are very big shitass! :grrrrrr:

Jake360
Obus à Pattes

Post by Jake360 » Mon May 31, 2010 11:29 pm

I don't want an RPG like mass effect or something, but i would atleast like it to be a bit more open world like Jak and daxter. Then you could branch off into different levels/terrains. RPG elements i'd like are improving your basic fist punch with speed, power and possible special effects and colours, maybe even different skins? Power ups like in Rayman 3 i'd like to stay the same, only use them in specific areas else it'll get very repetative if you could just turn them on and off as you feel like it. Plus those powerups added alot to the challenge i felt with the limited time. :)

spiraldoor
Mr Dark
Tings: 156595

Post by spiraldoor » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:24 pm

Sabertooth1000000000 wrote:Wow, this rumor is spreading fast. Screwattack even did a Hard News on it.
Link? I can't find it.
PluMGMK wrote:
Spanex wrote:Mr. Dark is older than Razorbeard.
There is no evidence of that.
Razorbeard is ancient. It takes a long time to leave more than a hundred peaceful planets as interstellar dust. Likewise for word of this to spread throughout an entire galaxy. Can't comment on Mr Dark though; we still know next to nothing about him.
Jak360 wrote:I don't want an RPG like mass effect or something, but i would atleast like it to be a bit more open world like Jak and daxter. Then you could branch off into different levels/terrains. RPG elements i'd like are improving your basic fist punch with speed, power and possible special effects and colours, maybe even different skins? Power ups like in Rayman 3 i'd like to stay the same, only use them in specific areas else it'll get very repetative if you could just turn them on and off as you feel like it. Plus those powerups added alot to the challenge i felt with the limited time. :)
Then you may want to check out Rayman Revolution, which has most of the features you've suggested. Though it's generally not regarded as a tremendous success.

Spanex
Électoon

Post by Spanex » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:51 pm

spiraldoor wrote:
PluMGMK wrote:
Spanex wrote:Mr. Dark is older than Razorbeard.
There is no evidence of that.
Razorbeard is ancient. It takes a long time to leave more than a hundred peaceful planets as interstellar dust. Likewise for word of this to spread throughout an entire galaxy. Can't comment on Mr Dark though; we still know next to nothing about him.
Once again, I meant how long they exsist in the franchise, not their actual age. =__=

spiraldoor
Mr Dark
Tings: 156595

Post by spiraldoor » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:43 pm

I knew that; you explained it clearly. I chose to discuss the age of the characters anyway, because I found it a much more interesting subject than such cold facts as '1995' and '1999'.

Choukroun left a few follow-up comments on the Facebook fanpage; here they are along with all the other important ones:
Nicolas Choukroun (in response to the Ancel-is-leaving-Ubisoft rumour) wrote:Wrong, I met him 2 weeks ago. He is very busy on a sequel of Rayman. He just setup a smaller team because the team in Montpellier was too large. His team is in a different place but he works 100% with Ubi.
Nicolas Choukroun (after realising he's let the Rayman 4 news slip before E3?) wrote:in pause...no comment about it sorry.
Ihab Nasser (creator of the fanpage) wrote:Mr. Nicolas !! Oh my god !! You are an old friend of Mr. Ancel from Lankhor days . I am so happy to meet you sir . I wrote an article -in Arabic- about you & Mr.Ancel , & about your first project Mechanic Warriors which (converted to The Intruder) , Pick 'n Pile & your own game Aliens Comic Book Adventure .
Please Mr. Nicolas , when you meet Mr. Ancel , tell him that Ihab Nasser(me) is A BIG BIG BIG fan of you .
Nicolas Choukroun wrote:Thanks, Ihab, I will tell him, and thanks for maintaining this page, he is too busy for doing it ;)
Tomasz Stecko (some random guy) wrote:Nicolas, just a small question... Should we wait for E3 for more info about it? :-)
Nicolas Choukroun wrote:It is on pause as I said... I cannot comment more.
Tomasz Stecko wrote:I guess it means - yes. :) How about name of that "smaller team"? It's also secret?
He hasn't responded to that last one yet, and I don't think he will, given the 'secret' nature of the question.

What about this Ihab Nasser fellow? Perhaps we should contact him and, I don't know, make his fanpage an affiliate or something. It might be good for activity; Facebook has a ridiculous amount of people on it. And now it seems that personal friends of Ancel have begun checking the page; maybe we should try and get in on that.

Spanex
Électoon

Post by Spanex » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:55 pm

I think that's a good idea.

Lijik
Antitoon

Post by Lijik » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:35 pm

Jak360 wrote: But with supposedly such a small team working on it, if there is even a R4 in development, i'd imagine it would be similar to Rayman 3. I would be far from disapointed with that though considering the dry spell we've had from the main series.
With Ancel at the helm? If anything we know its not going to be similar to Rayman 3 since he's said something like "Its a good game, but I would have done a lot of things differently"

Jake360
Obus à Pattes

Post by Jake360 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:44 pm

Lijik wrote:
Jak360 wrote: But with supposedly such a small team working on it, if there is even a R4 in development, i'd imagine it would be similar to Rayman 3. I would be far from disapointed with that though considering the dry spell we've had from the main series.
With Ancel at the helm? If anything we know its not going to be similar to Rayman 3 since he's said something like "Its a good game, but I would have done a lot of things differently"
Fair enough. I'm not as hardcore in the knowledge as all of you. Being someone that hasn't played Rayman 2, are there many differences between the gameplay/structure in 2 and 3?

Edit: Also, why wasn't it done differently then? Was he on a different project at the time?

Spanex
Électoon

Post by Spanex » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:47 pm

Not much actually. :P The battle controls are a little different, but other than that, Both games are fairly easy to control. Especially Rayman 3 is, because you can customize the controls by each button individually. I made my R3 controls similar to R2's.

Jake360
Obus à Pattes

Post by Jake360 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:52 pm

Looking it up in wikipedia he was the co designer. How about the levels of the game, where they very linear in both games, for example go from A ----> B or did you have more freedom?

Anyway, can't wait for Rayman 4 how ever it turns out, need a new Platformer. :D

Spanex
Électoon

Post by Spanex » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:52 pm

Yeah, in both games the levels are pretty much "go from point A to B"