Bye Ancel

Talk about Rayman himself and Rayman games!

Moderator: English moderators

Jake360
Obus à Pattes
Tings: 320

Re: Bye Ancel

Post by Jake360 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:23 pm

I doubt it, i'd never heard of it before joining this forum, that's how much effort the publishers put into that title.

Made by ME!!! :D

Cairnie
Magicien
Tings: 78425

Post by Cairnie » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:36 pm

How old are you mate?

Rayman Rush was one of those games that did well in charts but didn't do well when it came to magazine reviews with scores as low as 36% [as given by Gamesmaster]. Reviews don't really mean anything to some people eg me and they just buy the game anyway, same with other "classics" such as Who Wants to be a Millionaire on PS1. It's a matter of what people are willing to spend their money on even now.
giant photobucket picture wuz ere

so wuz old psn banner

you know old out of date stuff

Jake360
Obus à Pattes

Post by Jake360 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:47 pm

I'm 18, i'm not sure when it came out but i'd never heard of any of the spin offs from the main series apart from some Maths revision game thing that i had for the PC. Obviously i'm aware of them now but i never noticed them, maybe the low reviews, less hype and my age all contributed to that.

Did people here enjoy it?

Cairnie
Magicien

Post by Cairnie » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:01 pm

Ah OK, guess that's just me wanting to get every Rayman game ever back in the early 2000's, I pretty much looked everywhere online and off back then finding some of the spin offs.

Rayman Rush was basically a shitty half-port of Rayman M though and I regret paying £20 for it. It was pretty much a next best thing for those that couldn't afford to get RM on the PS2 which was probably why it sold a lot.

so wuz old psn banner

Jake360
Obus à Pattes

Post by Jake360 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:12 pm

You're five years older than me which probably helped you as you were much more independant in what you wanted, i got what my mum bought me lol. She thought buying a video game was going to get the devil to strike down our house. Not sure why she bought the Playstation to be honest...

But i remember that day so clearly. We all unwrapped it and my dad set it up and we played Rayman constantly for hours, me doing most of the gameing as i was the oldest brother lol. We got to the level where you learn how to punch and you had to hit a purple berry thing, jump on to it while it was bouncing and get onto a ledge and finish that mini level. But me and my dad didn't think to press two buttons at once, we asked my mum for help, she jumped and shot at the same time and did it for us. I was never more pleased to have my mum than at that moment.

Haruka
Rayman 2
Tings: 178780

Post by Haruka » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:24 pm

StaceyW wrote:How old are you mate?

Rayman Rush was one of those games that did well in charts but didn't do well when it came to magazine reviews with scores as low as 36% [as given by Gamesmaster]. Reviews don't really mean anything to some people eg me and they just buy the game anyway, same with other "classics" such as Who Wants to be a Millionaire on PS1. It's a matter of what people are willing to spend their money on even now.
Some people really do not care about reviews. Me it is the reverse thing: when I have an interest in a game, I always look for different reviews. But it doesn't hurt anyone to try out a game before buying it to make sure it corresponds into our expectations.
StaceyW wrote:Rayman Rush was basically a shitty half-port of Rayman M though and I regret paying £20 for it. It was pretty much a next best thing for those that couldn't afford to get RM on the PS2 which was probably why it sold a lot.
Rayman Rush is one of the most poor games up to date of the entire game series. But if we compt the mobile games, Rayman 3 for Mobile Phones did made me disappointed. 3€ spent on that game that can be finished in less than 10 minutes.

Cairnie
Magicien

Post by Cairnie » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:36 pm

Try spending £24 on a game that I finished within 24 hours aka Rayman on GBC though that's a good game.

Well I didn't start being independent with my money until sorta last year when I got a job though I've saved up [or at least tried to] whatever money I'd been given a few years before that.

Sometimes I might try a game for cheap just to see what's so good or bad about it but most of the time I end up not playing most of them. Warioware DIY's pretty much been the prime game I've been playing this year next to Gardening Mama, been playing both for a solid month each.

so wuz old psn banner

Haruka
Rayman 2

Post by Haruka » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:42 pm

StaceyW wrote:Try spending £24 on a game that I finished within 24 hours aka Rayman on GBC though that's a good game.
Don't worry, because years ago I spent 44,75€ on BIONICLE THE GAME for PC, and I finished it 100% in just 4 hours of the same day. You can't imagine how frustrating and stupid I felt on that day.

Sabertooth
Joe
Tings: 53310

Post by Sabertooth » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:19 am

Haruka wrote:Don't worry, because years ago I spent 44,75€ on BIONICLE THE GAME for PC
Oh my God, are you serious? I wouldn't spend that much money on Rayman 4 (wellll...) much less a Bionicle game.
BestXIII wrote:The knaarens are very big shitass! :grrrrrr:

Spanex
Électoon
Tings: 0

Post by Spanex » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:10 am

Haruka wrote:
StaceyW wrote:Try spending £24 on a game that I finished within 24 hours aka Rayman on GBC though that's a good game.
Don't worry, because years ago I spent 44,75€ on BIONICLE THE GAME for PC, and I finished it 100% in just 4 hours of the same day. You can't imagine how frustrating and stupid I felt on that day.
I bought Rayman Hoodlums' Revenge, back when it was +€30, and finished it the same weekend I got it. :|

Haruka
Rayman 2

Post by Haruka » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:32 am

Sabertooth1000000000 wrote:
Haruka wrote:Don't worry, because years ago I spent 44,75€ on BIONICLE THE GAME for PC
Oh my God, are you serious? I wouldn't spend that much money on Rayman 4 (wellll...) much less a Bionicle game.
I was like 11 I think when I bought it. At least I didn't fall on the same error of buying BIONICLE HEROES.
Spanex wrote:
Haruka wrote:
I bought Rayman Hoodlums' Revenge, back when it was +€30, and finished it the same weekend I got it. :|
There's one problem: Rayman Hoodlums' Revenge is a good game. BIONICLE THE GAME is a bad game.

The game was ridiculously short, there are many camera problems, the sound effects aren't big deal, the music could have been made a bigger effort, the graphics could also be better, the gameplay isn't stable and when you play you aren't sure what this game wants to be (Due to the change of characters on each level), the boss battles were poor also. There were lightstones to collect, but you could find them quickly by replaying the levels. On that moment I started to understand why the original first game was canceled during development.

Spanex
Électoon

Post by Spanex » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:35 am

Personally I didn't think it was that good of a game. It had no plot. :|

Haruka
Rayman 2

Post by Haruka » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:41 am

That's your oppinion.

I liked the game, in total time, compting the time I wasn't playing I took around 1 week but it was enough time to entertain me for a while. However I think it is frustrating the Game Overs, and the 2,5D sceneary tricks a bit our eyes when trying to jump, land and hit on enemies.

Spanex
Électoon

Post by Spanex » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:59 am

Haruka wrote:That's your oppinion.
That's why I also said 'Personally'.

spiraldoor
Mr Dark
Tings: 156595

Post by spiraldoor » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:03 pm

Xenon wrote:I made a prediction when I said there will be no future Rayman instalments, not an assertion. And I didn't make the claim you cited in the latter part of your post. The simple argument I was putting forward was the video game market is ever changing and as technologies and social fashions change, peoples' gaming interests change accordingly. You can see this statement to be true in the evolution of the games over the past twenty or so years. I'm not saying people will never like platformers or Rayman again, but gaming taste will inevitably shift further and some markets that are becoming "old-fashioned" are likely to suffer as a result of this.
If that's what you meant, I don't think you made your meaning very clear. Your exact words were 'I doubt there'll ever be another Rayman instalment', which has quite different implications if taken literally (as I did).

Regarding the whole price/hours discussion: I got Uncharted 2 for fifty euro-ish, and I played through it in one day (eleven hours straight, if I recall correctly). It was very good, so I didn't mind.

syntheticgerbil
Électoon

Post by syntheticgerbil » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:05 pm

StaceyW wrote:How old are you mate?

I would say this is just another example of marketing correctly more than critical scores not mattering. Not to say someone shouldn't strive to make a good game, but for instance with Beyond Good and Evil, Ubisoft later admits they didn't put much effort into marketing the game properly. Beyond Good and Evil got all around high scores, yet no one was buying.

The game has since gathered word of mouth making a sequel much wanted, but none of that helps go back and sell the first Beyond Good and Evil.

To bring this back to Rayman 2, the amount of marketing done for each individual ports alone aside from the Arena/M/Rush spin-offs should be testament alone that a traditional Rayman game can sell well. The Rabbids are a somewhat brilliant (and easy) marketing scheme, but that also could have been put towards a traditional platformer where you have to defeat the Rabbids invasion. Now Rabbids is synonymous with mini-games, so with a new Rayman 4, Ubisoft would probably have to essentially remarket Rayman back to the gaming world. It might be more work, but it can be done.

spiraldoor
Mr Dark
Tings: 156595

Post by spiraldoor » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:03 pm

syntheticgerbil wrote:The game has since gathered word of mouth making a sequel much wanted, but none of that helps go back and sell the first Beyond Good and Evil.
It actually does, if you take the digital distribution services into account. At this stage BG&E has probably sold more copies on Steam than it did at retail.

syntheticgerbil
Électoon

Post by syntheticgerbil » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:40 pm

Yeah, that's true, but to Ubisoft, the game is still a failure in their eyes, which isn't really fair in my opinion.

Nannerb3
Murray
Tings: 22135

Post by Nannerb3 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:03 pm

Another hint of Rayman 4
Ubi was asked in an interview about Rabbids Go Home if there would be a new Rayman game, and they responded:
Not a day goes by without somebody asking us for a new Rayman game… He'll be back for more imaginative and fantastic adventures of his own before you know it, but not in Rabbids Go Home, which takes place among Humans.

Though we don't know if they mean another RRR game, (but if those bunnies go to the moon, I doubt there will be one, so that's another hint)

Jake360
Obus à Pattes

Post by Jake360 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:26 pm

Isn't that really old?