Lore thread

Talk about Rayman himself and Rayman games!

Moderator: English moderators

RayCarrot
Uglette
Tings: 29229

Re: Lore thread

Post by RayCarrot »

I don't totally hate BtO, though it seems kind of unnecessary. I've played Legends on PC, PS3 and Vita and replaying those Origins levels each time is pretty annoying. Though sure, playing the Origins levels in Legends style is always cool and I prefer the controls in Legends and the graphics. Still, it would have been more cool to have like Back to Rayman 1 or something (though that would have meant more effort to make it and the BtO levels were probably made because they were easy to port as both games practically use the same engine).
Bradandez
Globox
Tings: 137530

Post by Bradandez »

WHat the hell? Back to Origins was great! Two games packaged into one! Heck, even some of the levels were altered or changed, so some of them felt like a new experience.

Anyways to get back on topic, I'll like to add this.
sergiomonty wrote: Here's something neat, guys.

A few playthroughs ago I learned something interesting. I'll try to tell what's going on based on trailers, the opening and some interesting levels with storytelling, I'll try to be the less fantiction-ish I can. Prepare yourselves, this is going to get deep:

Rayman Adventures happens during a war between the Lividstones and the Toads.... and the Toads are winning. Yeah, one would think that since the Dark Teensies hired them in Legends, they would be friends or something, but nope. There are some levels where the Toads actually help Rayman defeat the Lividstones, and of course, Rayman has to defeat the Toads after that. By connecting the points, I'm pretty sure the war is happening because of the huge value that the eggs from the Sacred Tree have. After all, as seen in the opening sequence the Lividstones stole them first, but in the first trailer it is shown how they were stupid enough to let some fall into other kingdoms. Minotaurs aren't involved in the war, they're just cleaning their stuff as usual. Toads and Lividstones don't even try to steal the eggs from them, since the Minotaurs are protected by the Gods of the Olympus Maximus. Finally, some Toads use the Dark Teensie's abandoned base as their secret place to make their plans. The entire Glade is in war, and as usual, the Teensies don't want to fight... and that turns them into the bad guys' punching bags.

Finally , as usual, Franckys are part of the Lividstone army, Ogers are part of the Toad army, and Giant Minotaurs are part of the Minotaur army.
The only thing I must say that's not entirely true is the Toads winning the war. If you recall, the level where the Toads assist in defeating the Lividbandits, the Lividbandits themselves also make a comeback and defeat some Toads as well. The level ends in a stand-off in a fight between a Francky and an Ogre with Lividbandits and Toads spectating.

I think the only reason why they didn't attack each other in Legends was because they were under alliance with the the Dark Teensies and had put their differences aside to help the Dark Teensies achieve their goal in taking over the Glade.

I also really like the idea of the eggs being the focus point of this war. It really adds purpose into collecting them. Who knows what will happen if the bad guys got a hold of them. And the Teensies being the peaceful race in the Glade is also adorable. They do seem like the only species to never try and get involved in these conflicts except for a handful of them.
TFDS
Clark
Tings: 123715

Post by TFDS »

Haruka wrote:Curiously enough, they are all from the female gender.

Anyway, on the subject of BtO, I found it really enjoyable, even though it wasn't a very great idea from a marketing standpoint. Seeing the characters and the environment upgraded to the Legends art style was really cool.

As for whether it's canon or not, it might as well be Polokus having the previous nightmares once again, thus leading to the corruption of the 4 Kings.
Drolpiraat wrote:*reads the script*

*finds out the truth about [naked Rayman]*

spiraldoor
Mr Dark
Tings: 156595

Post by spiraldoor »

I just saw a random YouTube comment from a year ago saying that Ancel has confirmed Origins is set "about a decade after Rayman 3". Is there any truth to that?
OCG
Roméo Patti
Tings: 9905

Post by OCG »

Haruka wrote:I personally do not hate BtO, it was actually interesting to see the levels adapted to the tweaks of Legends though I found the repetitivism unnecessary. They almost ported the whole game that wasn't even 2 years old.
I have mixed opinions about BtO. I must admit I somewhat felt bored playing some of the levels because beating Rayman Origins very recently (at the time I also beat Legends first time) and then replaying same levels from that game after beating Legends' regular levels was very repetitive. I do think they look nice in Legends style though but I am one of those people that generally prefer Origins over Legends in artstyle so I still like the looks of those levels in Origins better. Treasure Chest levels were made too easy compared to how they were in Origins and also it was much easier to get all the required lums. I think BtO was mainly made for people who did not play Origins when it came out.
TFDs39 wrote:
Well, Hunters in original game is limbless so it is confusing. Also at the end it was seen that Hunters became good after Mr. Dark has been defeated which maybe means they are not the same ones like they were from Origins. Also, according to RayWiki, Hunters' species are "Nightmare of Polokus" and not humans although I don't know where was such confirmation found.
Image [YouTube] [Facebook] [Twitter] [DeviantART]

[Skype: アンドリヤ (OCG)] [Xbox Live: OldClassicGamer] [PSN: OldClassicGamer] [Steam: OldClassicGamer] [Nintendo Network ID: OldClassicGamer] [3DS FC: 0275-8128-3030]

Thank Mr. Skeltal Image
TFDS
Clark

Post by TFDS »

OCG wrote:
TFDs39 wrote:
Well, Hunters in original game is limbless so it is confusing. Also at the end it was seen that Hunters became good after Mr. Dark has been defeated which maybe means they are not the same ones like they were from Origins. Also, according to RayWiki, Hunters' species are "Nightmare of Polokus" and not humans although I don't know where was such confirmation found.
That's not really because of their species, but because of Rayman 1's style. Any character from the next games would have been limbless if they had appeared in R1.

They could have been corrupted by the nightmares, but considering all the info in Origins that contradicts the ones from the previous games, does it really matter? Also, I don't know where that name comes from either, but even if it's official, it doesn't change much. Birds are still birds, fish are still fish (despite being nightmares of Polokus too), so Hunters might as well be still humans.

Bradandez
Globox

Post by Bradandez »

spiraldoor wrote:I just saw a random YouTube comment from a year ago saying that Ancel has confirmed Origins is set "about a decade after Rayman 3". Is there any truth to that?
Not really. Especially if this is coming from a YouTube comment.
OCG
Roméo Patti

Post by OCG »

Well, we should ask Droolie for confirmation :P
I think he knows all interviews Ancel did and he even translated some so he will definitely know if Ancel ever said something like that or not.

[Skype: アンドリヤ (OCG)] [Xbox Live: OldClassicGamer] [PSN: OldClassicGamer] [Steam: OldClassicGamer] [Nintendo Network ID: OldClassicGamer] [3DS FC: 0275-8128-3030]

Thank Mr. Skeltal Image
Sabertooth
Joe
Tings: 53345

Post by Sabertooth »

TFDs39 wrote: As for whether it's canon or not, it might as well be Polokus having the previous nightmares once again, thus leading to the corruption of the 4 Kings.
It's canon. When Rayman and friends go into a BtO painting, they come out having collected actual lums and Teensies. I think it's not far-fetched to assume that the characters went back to the previous levels because some Teensies had been imprisoned there, and there were a few lums to collect as well, so why not.
BestXIII wrote:The knaarens are very big shitass! :grrrrrr:
Haruka
Rayman 2
Tings: 178780

Post by Haruka »

I do not remember to have heard of such cronological information concerning Rayman Origins myself.

@TFD OK, I forgot about him, though he was initially a limbless. Would that make Livingstones as humans (very ugly ones) aswell?
TFDS
Clark

Post by TFDS »

Haruka wrote:@TFD OK, I forgot about him, though he was initially a limbless. Would that make Livingstones as humans (very ugly ones) aswell?
Perhaps, but I'm not entirely sure. They don't resemble humans as closely as the Hunters. In fact, they look more similar to Count Razoff. They might be either very ugly humans or some kind of monsters that resemble humans.

OCG
Roméo Patti

Post by OCG »

I see Linvingstones as non humans for sure.

Thank Mr. Skeltal Image
Master
Rayman Origins
Tings: 404185

Post by Master »

I thought the idea behind them was that they were Living stone?
Bradandez
Globox

Post by Bradandez »

Lividstones are definitely human. Very ugly humans, but nonetheless I couldn't see them as anything else.
Sabertooth
Joe

Post by Sabertooth »

I'd say the fact that they have green skin indicates that they're their own species. They resemble orcs or goblins.
Bradandez
Globox

Post by Bradandez »

Sabertooth wrote:I'd say the fact that they have green skin indicates that they're their own species. They resemble orcs or goblins.
Green skin equals different species? That's like saying black people are a different species, ya racist fack. It clearly states in Origins that Lividstones have very poor hygiene. Even using Lums as deodorant proves they have little to no knowledge of personal hygiene. The green skin is clearly dirty skin caused by poor hygiene. They're just really ugly, very filthy humans.
Sabertooth
Joe

Post by Sabertooth »

So those Luchador enemies...probably giants, right? I bet they're related to Clark in some way. Man, I miss Clark. I'd love to see the Rayman 2 gang again, even if it's just in passing. I just want to know that they still exist.

Given that over 100 years have passed since Rayman Raving Rabbids, is it safe to say that Globox's children have grown up now? Or maybe their lifespan is just that long. Maybe some of the playable Globox skins in Rayman Legends are, in fact, Globox's offspring all grown up! It would explain why they're helping the main characters in the first place, as well as their significance. Some of their names even fit the naming scheme from R2 (male names ending in x).
TFDS
Clark

Post by TFDS »

On a similar subject, I was wondering why exactly the Ray and Glob playable characters in Legends are often treated as skins for Rayman and Globox. I mean, their in-game description implies that they are different characters, and for some it's even stated directly that they are different (such as Rayomz and Glombrox). The only ones that are stated to be Rayman and Globox with a different look are Raybox and Red Globox.

boomboleros7
Froutch
Tings: 65301

Post by boomboleros7 »

TFDs39 wrote:Also, I don't know where that name comes from either, but even if it's official, it doesn't change much.
Well, Rayman fights nightmares in many games of the series. But the term mainly appears in the manuals (of R2, RO and RL). It is rarely used in in-game dialogues (just in the intro of RL if I remember correctly).

Signature réalisée par Gnaax
Sa chaîne YouTube : https://www.youtube.com/user/MasterSparta87
Son DeviantArt : http://gnaax.deviantart.com/
Sabertooth
Joe

Post by Sabertooth »

http://miloscat.tumblr.com/post/126553410892

This guy has been writing about various Rayman games for a while now, and at times discusses their chronological significance in a way no one here ever has. Check it out, if you will. The dude writing it also asserts that R1 Magician and RO Magician are different characters, a viewpoint that goes against Raywiki and the general consensus here. I'd love to reach out to the developers someday and find out for sure, because this has never truly been clear.