Lore thread

For discussions about the Rayman series.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
RayCarrot
Tily
Tings: 36217

Re: Lore thread

Post by RayCarrot »

If I remember correctly, doesn't the gba version of RRR end with Rayman defeating the Rabidds once and for all or that they became peaceful again? Shouldn't that mean the gba version takes place after all of the Rabbids games?
And in Fiesta Run El Stomacho is there again like in Origins which must mean Fiesta Run somehow takes place in the middle or even before Rayman Origins. Rayman goes in to his stomach in Fiesta Run as well so maybe Rayman tried defeating him and failed and then went back into his stomach in Origins? The same is for Jungle Run where the first boss from Origins (forgot his name) comes back in the final world.
Raymanni
Carnivora
Tings: 12835

Post by Raymanni »

Carrot-master wrote:If I remember correctly, doesn't the gba version of RRR end with Rayman defeating the Rabidds once and for all or that they became peaceful again? Shouldn't that mean the gba version takes place after all of the Rabbids games?
Rayman did defeat them, but I'm not sure if they did become peaceful again.
spiraldoor
Oumbr
Tings: 156595

Post by spiraldoor »

(Jesus, where did those five years go?)

I've basically reversed my position on... everything. Tired of canon this and continuity that. I say it all happened. Rayman Junior, Rayman M, TV Party. Everything. Why not? It's all just a big crazy glorious dream, from Pink Plant Woods to the Living Dead Party and beyond. He remembers a country called the Front, but also a place called the Hall of Doors. At one point he pursued the Rabbids to some place called "Earth", but it turned out to be a pretty dull world. So he went back to the proper one.
Sabertooth
Magicien
Tings: 53365

Post by Sabertooth »

Yes, technically the entire Rayman series can be described as one big dream concocted by a mythological hookah enthusiast, but there's just one issue with that theory: it's no fun. Figuring out where the Desert of Didgeridoos is in relation to Band Land; debating the origins and relationships among Dark Rayman, Bad Rayman, and Raymesis; chronicling the timeline of events (which came first: R1 or R1 GBC?); these are the bountiful steer from which we can milk tons of fanatical discussion, each topic affecting another and creating even more windows for theorizing. I'd say it's a big part of the joy of being a fan, particularly of such a diverse series like Rayman. The potential is there and has been for years; it's up to us to make use of it.

Since it hasn't been mentioned here yet, I'd also like to add that the new headband from Rayman Adventures is probably the same scarf from Rayman 1/2/Arena. Rayman probably found it lying around and decided to finally get some use out of it, even if it still smelled like Zombie Chickens.
BestXIII wrote:The knaarens are very big shitass! :grrrrrr:
spiraldoor
Oumbr
Tings: 156595

Post by spiraldoor »

Sabertooth1000000000 wrote:these are the bountiful steer from which we can milk tons of fanatical discussion, each topic affecting another and creating even more windows for theorizing.
I am all for insane over-analysis, but I value interesting appropriation, not the sort of ridiculous canon fixation you get with, say, Star Wars. I think this is the dullest, most pedestrian article in the universe.

The thing about the Desert of Didgeridoos is cool. It being a devastated Band Land is a creative interpretation that adds some depth to the related games. Stuff like the number of scarves, bandanas, and pairs of shoes Rayman has owned and the order in which he wore them, less so.
Sabertooth
Magicien

Post by Sabertooth »

Well as a highly narrative-based franchise, Star Wars naturally has far less breathing room when it comes to fan speculation and wankery. With Rayman we get a lot more freedom to craft insane theories since the developers themselves don't care too much presently, and with the lack of story specifics in the new games, there are fewer potential contradictions to hold us back. Franchises with specific, set-in-stone timelines are not nearly as fun to wank around with. This is why forums like DK Vine, as I mentioned earlier, are popular, but it's also why I'd like to reignite more frequent discussion here as well, provided people are interested.

So with that out of the way...what is the current stance on Tarayzan, The Musician, Raymolk, Rayomz, etc? Other limbless folk of the same species as Rayman? Why and how do they exist? The best explanation I can concoct is that they are an entire species created by the nymphs for the sole purpose of giving Rayman others to relate to; after all, they probably didn't want their savior to undergo any "last of my kind" angst.
THEdragon
Clark
Tings: 47510

Post by THEdragon »

Given the presence of the Musician's family in the first game it seems that back then they were going for the idea that the species was kinda naturally-occurring. My best guess for the current situation is that the species did exist before Rayman, and then later he was created by Betilla? As in, Betilla and her sisters were probably aiming to create some sort of beefy warrior-type being but they lost some lums along the way and only had enough to create a limbless, a member of an already-existing species? I don't know, this is all major headcanon territory. I think your explanation was probably better, Sabertooth.
When you defeat nine antitoons with one punch!
Sabertooth
Magicien

Post by Sabertooth »

Not a bad idea; the limbless were a preexisting albeit rare race of creatures, and when the nymphs came together to create an almighty champion to take down Jano, they made another one of them by mistake. However, he turned out to be special.

Now take a lookie here: in Rayman: Hoodlums' Revenge, André references the Titanic. Could it be that the Rayman universe had a similar incident to the one on Earth, or does André perhaps have access to the Rabbids' dimension-hopping technology? I personally prefer the former; perhaps The Captain got a little too tipsy on fermented plum juice during one adventure.
THEdragon
Clark
Tings: 47510

Post by THEdragon »

Well considering there are now canonically humans in the Glade (Something I'm not a huge fan of to be perfectly honest) anything is possible. It could even simply be that some people in the Glade have somehow accessed knowledge of history (most likely written) from other worlds, including Earth.
When you defeat nine antitoons with one punch!
Bradandez
Dora Dodemer
Tings: 137530

Post by Bradandez »

Not a fan you, either >:C
Sabertooth
Magicien

Post by Sabertooth »

I wonder if Clara the Witch is affiliated in any way with The Magician; perhaps they both attended the same magic school, and Clara was one of the bullies who tormented poor Ales?

Actually, could anyone with Les Dictées de Rayman in their possession provide some more details on the story? Raywiki doesn't have much, and what it does have makes no sense.
One day, Rayman is resting on his room and Clara the Witch appears by magic with a machine called Télévox. Clara explains to Rayman that the Télévox was broken on a middle of a argument between Rayman's friends from the Amnesia Island, and she cast a curse, called "The Curse of the Express Refrigerator" by freezing Rayman's human friends' from the feet until the torso. She also explains that she can only free them if the Télévox is fixed. Rayman accepts to help, and he magicaly jumps to the Télévox.
So Clara freezes Rayman's "friends"? Is she the villain then? And who are these alleged friends of his, from the dubious "Amnesia Island"? This is like a Mad Libs of a story synopsis.

ALSO, as an addendum to my Academy of Champions theory from earlier, we have this Rabbids comic from the artist Pujol entitled "La vie en rose":
What is Rayman doing here? Why, after receiving his invitation from Brightfield Academy to participate in their upcoming soccer event, Rayman decides to brush up on his soccer knowledge. And what better way to do that than attending a game? Let's hope the Rabbids can kick a ball as well as they can dance.
TFDS
Aline Louïa
Tings: 123720

Post by TFDS »

THEdragon wrote:Well considering there are now canonically humans in the Glade (Something I'm not a huge fan of to be perfectly honest) anything is possible. It could even simply be that some people in the Glade have somehow accessed knowledge of history (most likely written) from other worlds, including Earth.
Actually, humans existed since Rayman 1, except they were limbless back then. Origins only confirmed that Hunters (and Livingstones too, I guess) are humans.
boomboleros7
Mr Stone
Tings: 68091

Post by boomboleros7 »

boomboleros7 wrote:
Sabertooth wrote:Actually, could anyone with Les Dictées de Rayman in their possession provide some more details on the story?
I can.
Here's a translation of a part of the article I wrote on the French RayWiki:
http://raymanpc.com/wiki/fr/Les_Dict%C3%A9es_de_Rayman

Les Dictées de Rayman (The Dictations of Rayman, Rayman's Dictations...), a collection of educational games from 1998, are a crossover between two Ubisoft franchises: The Rayman series and Les aventures de Tim 7 (The adventures of Tim 7), a collection of educational games from 1996.

Les aventures de Tim 7 take place on Earth. The main character is a young boy named Tim. One day, he had a scooter accident and he lost consciousness. He was found and kidnapped by doctor Gaaf, a small and green-skinned mad scientist. Gaaf took Tim to Amnesia Island to do experiences on him. As Tim was his seventh human guinea pig, Gaaf gave him the name of Tim 7. After his accident, Tim became amnesic, so he was unable to escape. In Les aventures de Tim 7, the player helps the hero to recover the knowledge he lost through educational activities. Besides the player, Tim is also helped by the other inhabitants of Amnesia: Clara the Witch, Patrick (the blond guy), Landra, Junior (the guy with the glasses) and Sam (the guy with the moustache).
http://raymanpc.com/wiki/images/f/f4/Ra ... humans.JPG

Les Dictées de Rayman take place in the Glade of Dreams, after the events of Les aventures de Tim 7.
During the intro, Rayman has the visit from Clara, who is one of his friends. She brings a strange machine called the Télévox.
http://raymanpc.com/wiki/images/5/54/Raymandictee4.JPG
Clara hears to Rayman that Tim finally managed to leave Amnesia Island. Before that, he recorded the memories of his adventures in the Télévox. But after his departure, the inhabitants of Amnesia fought over the machine, and they damaged it. The voice of Tim is still intact, but his texts and his drawing have been deleted. To prevent the inhabitants of Amnesia to cause more damages to the Télévox, Clara casted a spell to imprison them in the ice. She can't free them until the Télévox is repaired. That's why she came ask the help of Rayman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwgR2_LoSIw (The intro of Les Dictées de Rayman, uploaded by Eshap, translated by Haruka)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnTtv7OTqIE (Clara tells the events of Les aventures de Tim 7 and their aftermaths, uploaded by Eshap, translated by me)

Signature réalisée par Gnaax
Sa chaîne YouTube : https://www.youtube.com/user/MasterSparta87
Son DeviantArt : http://gnaax.deviantart.com/
Sabertooth
Magicien

Post by Sabertooth »

Wow, that is some interesting backstory. Pretty dark for an educational game. I never knew the game was a crossover, but that would definitely explain the characters and objects that we are already expected to know about.

I wonder what these characters were doing in the Glade of Dreams.
boomboleros7
Mr Stone
Tings: 68091

Post by boomboleros7 »

Sabertooth wrote:I wonder what these characters were doing in the Glade of Dreams.
Well, in Les Dictées de Rayman, Clara is the only inhabitant of Amnesia who come in the Glade, probably with the help of her powers. The others couldn't come, as they are trapped in the ice. In the intro, Clara uses her magic to modify Rayman's telescope and show him what she had done on Earth.

In the intro, Rayman says the others inhabitants of Amnesia (Patrick, Landra, Junior, Sam and maybe Gaaf) are his friends. He probably meets them before the events of Les Dictées de Rayman.
Maybe it's the inhabitants of Amnesia who came in the Glade (with the help of Clara's magic or a rocket). Or maybe it's Rayman who came on Earth, like in Raving Rabbids 2 (with the help the Hall of Doors, a rocket or another magic way).

Signature réalisée par Gnaax
Sa chaîne YouTube : https://www.youtube.com/user/MasterSparta87
Son DeviantArt : http://gnaax.deviantart.com/
Haruka
Sandra Misu
Tings: 178780

Post by Haruka »

Carrot-master wrote:If I remember correctly, doesn't the gba version of RRR end with Rayman defeating the Rabidds once and for all or that they became peaceful again?
This is where confusion has got its genesis. I always viewed this port as an incomplete game. You battle the giant robot and you win. Suddenly you visualize a group picture. Absolute stillness. Nothing happens whatever you do or how much time you wait. Not even a credits roll. I would like to believe the situation got temporarily solved as Rabbids next target was Planet Earth itself.
And in Fiesta Run El Stomacho is there again like in Origins which must mean Fiesta Run somehow takes place in the middle or even before Rayman Origins. Rayman goes in to his stomach in Fiesta Run as well so maybe Rayman tried defeating him and failed and then went back into his stomach in Origins? The same is for Jungle Run where the first boss from Origins (forgot his name) comes back in the final world.
I wouldn't consider those levels of Legends as canon. Just an excuse to add extra longevity to the game as it saves effort. Problem is that it made me get even more tired of Rayman Origins than what I already was back in my first playthrough of Rayman Legends. Please do not repeat this in future, Ubisoft.

@Sabertooth I think I never saw that Titanic reference when playing Rayman Hoodlums Revenge. It has been since a goooood while I do not play it too.
THEdragon wrote:Well considering there are now canonically humans in the Glade (Something I'm not a huge fan of to be perfectly honest) anything is possible. It could even simply be that some people in the Glade have somehow accessed knowledge of history (most likely written) from other worlds, including Earth.
I personally do not mind with the humans presence on the Glade as long they aren't spread like mice you see. I like to think there is a limited number. Curiously enough, they are all from the female gender.

Human characters like Barbara and more advanced ones (Betina in case we consider her as canon character) sharing their knowledge to others, it is a possibility. Other possibility I can think of would some some Teensies accidentally (or purposely) opening a secret gate to Earth and them (or other species) wandering around and eventually return with informations. But then, this is my theory and not everyone must agree with it.
RayCarrot
Tily
Tings: 36217

Post by RayCarrot »

Haruka wrote:
Carrot-master wrote: And in Fiesta Run El Stomacho is there again like in Origins which must mean Fiesta Run somehow takes place in the middle or even before Rayman Origins. Rayman goes in to his stomach in Fiesta Run as well so maybe Rayman tried defeating him and failed and then went back into his stomach in Origins? The same is for Jungle Run where the first boss from Origins (forgot his name) comes back in the final world.
I wouldn't consider those levels of Legends as canon. Just an excuse to add extra longevity to the game as it saves effort. Problem is that it made me get even more tired of Rayman Origins than what I already was back in my first playthrough of Rayman Legends. Please do not repeat this in future, Ubisoft.
I was referring to Jungle and Fiesta Run and not the back to Origins levels. I understand the back to Origins levels aren't canon as they are just levels taken directly from Origins and I agree that they were pretty annoying to replay. They kind of ruined my memories of Origins in some way. I remember after having played those levels I was thinking of Origins as a pretty boring game until I replayed it again on the Vita and noticed how good it actually was.
Sabertooth
Magicien

Post by Sabertooth »

Where's all this hate for BtO coming from? I love that mode, it's like they packaged another whole free game into Legends. Anyway, in Fiesta Run, we can just assume one of two things:

1. It takes place before Origins. (there's no story here, so this isn't exactly difficult)
2. El Stomacho needs to stop eating so many goddamn hot peppers. Rayman is like his doctor at this point.
Carrot-master wrote:If I remember correctly, doesn't the gba version of RRR end with Rayman defeating the Rabidds once and for all or that they became peaceful again?
I've always felt that RRR GBA takes place after RRR. Otherwise, we're left to assume that the Baby Globoxes were doomed to spend their lives as Rabbid playthings. Screw that. RRR DS can take place in the middle.
Haruka wrote: Human characters like Barbara and more advanced ones (Betina in case we consider her as canon character)
Oh yeah, the TV series. I'd like to imagine it takes place sometime after R3 GBA -- maybe even during the UbiArt era -- and Razorbeard is reduced to a mere android lackey. None of Rayman's friends are seen because he was taken far away from them, and while it seems as if he didn't recognize Razorbeard, it's implied that they met offscreen- -- meaning they could have exchanged familiarities before the first episode began.
Haruka
Sandra Misu
Tings: 178780

Post by Haruka »

I personally do not hate BtO, it was actually interesting to see the levels adapted to the tweaks of Legends though I found the repetitivism unnecessary. They almost ported the whole game that wasn't even 2 years old.
Master
Rayman 1
Tings: 404084

Post by Master »

Part of me thinks that BtO was an olive branch to make up for that multiplat delay fiasco. Either ways, Legends always did feel a little short when it came to its own levels and content. I've always wondered if that was because it was being made with a definitive deadline, that initially being the Wii U launch.