Rayman Origins

Talk about Rayman himself and Rayman games!

Moderator: English moderators

Which version is your favourite?

PS3
19%
Xbox 360
13%
Wii
15%
PC
43%
PSVita
7%
3DS
3%

Total votes: 114

Adsolution
Dora Dodemer
Tings: 5007

Re: Rayman Origins

Post by Adsolution »

Sabertooth wrote:Happy birthday, Rayman Origins! Five years ago today our little franchise was brought back from an eight-year dormancy (Rabbids aside) and to this day it's set the standard for the series to come. It spawned a sequel and three mobile spin-offs, one of which is still being updated. What's your best memory of Rayman Origins?

Mine is probably playing the game for five hours in my dorm room with two friends last year. The game is definitely better with partners; it's great single-player, but with friends it feels like a real mirthful adventure.
lol

Sabertooth
Joe
Tings: 53315

Post by Sabertooth »

Not even gonna click that because I know what it is.
BestXIII wrote:The knaarens are very big shitass! :grrrrrr:

Haruka
Rayman 2
Tings: 178780

Post by Haruka »

Does anyone knows where Rayman Origins' files are installed in the Steam version? I can't find it in the Common folder at least.

PluMGMK
Pizzicatta
Tings: 3420

Post by PluMGMK »

It's called ValveTestApp followed by some number.

Master
Rayman Origins
Tings: 404000

Post by Master »

Right click, and select "properties." Then on the window that comes up, select the "local files" tab and then select "browse local files."

RayCarrot
Uglette
Tings: 25899

Post by RayCarrot »

It's installed here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\ValveTestApp207490

PluMGMK
Pizzicatta

Post by PluMGMK »

Assuming Haruka's Steam is in C:\Program Files (x86) :P
Besides, I already said that, basically.

RayCarrot
Uglette
Tings: 25899

Post by RayCarrot »

That's the default location for Steam, so unless she changed it, it should be there. And yeah, I just wanted to clarify where it was.

Haruka
Rayman 2
Tings: 178780

Post by Haruka »

I figured it out before the responses, but thanks anyway! It is so weird where the game is located.

The Amazing Rayman
Bébé Globox
Tings: 40

Post by The Amazing Rayman »

https://youtu.be/bHsnqtn9KJA
I'm making a Let's Play of Rayman Origins.
It's kinda awful.

Very.

Tomazo
Ptizêtre Vert
Tings: 1230

Post by Tomazo »

Sabertooth wrote:Happy birthday, Rayman Origins! Five years ago today our little franchise was brought back from an eight-year dormancy (Rabbids aside) and to this day it's set the standard for the series to come. It spawned a sequel and three mobile spin-offs, one of which is still being updated. What's your best memory of Rayman Origins?

Mine is probably playing the game for five hours in my dorm room with two friends last year. The game is definitely better with partners; it's great single-player, but with friends it feels like a real mirthful adventure.
Mine is actually when I saw that Origins will be released. It wasn't just a great choice for the Rayman franchise, but also for video games. Like whoa, I haven't seen such an original and creative game, it is (still) a rare thing. I love that how Michel Ancel has said too, that mainly graphic artists and music composers worked on it who aren't originally working on video games. And the result shows this too, I think Origins is a really emotional and atmospheric game. And it's also the best comeback a franchise could ever do. In my opinion it is actually a situation when the reboot is literally better than the original games. I think we need more artistic games like this, and I hope we'll see more similiar Rayman projects.

PluMGMK
Pizzicatta

Re: Is the mosaic that shows how Rayman got his helicopter hair in the vita version of Rayman Origins canon?

Post by PluMGMK »

I don't see why this is in Off Topic. But anyway, I think the answer is, it's up to you. A lot of us don't like to consider it canon, because it's so silly. It's in a portable port, so isn't as important as console/PC versions, and it also appears to contradict what actually happens in the game (ie. Holly Luya gives him the power).

Ray502
Poulet Zombie
Tings: 125

Re: Is the mosaic that shows how Rayman got his helicopter hair in the vita version of Rayman Origins canon?

Post by Ray502 »

DemigodRayinator, the meaning of the Off Topic forum is this: "Talk about everything but Rayman!" Therefore, avoid creating topics on Off Topic and start creating such topics on the Rayman forum.

Rayman: Razorbeard's Vengeance

Rayman 2: The Alternate Side (Demo Available Now!)

FC: 37.699 | CF: 107.954 | BOM: 94.827 | LOTLD: 121.385 | DOTK: 109.831 | LS: 41.270 | SBTC: 94.755 | HH: 107.339 | TOTL: 104.496

Total: 819.556

Cairnie
Magicien
Tings: 78450

Post by Cairnie »

Merged with the Rayman Origins topic as this appears to be a Rayman Origins matter.
giant photobucket picture wuz ere

so wuz old psn banner

you know old out of date stuff

Dream Whistler
Tribelle
Tings: 50

Post by Dream Whistler »

I've been replaying Rayman Origins alongside Legends and I think the key difference in the level design is that Origins prides itself on its looks rather than level design, while Legends throws new ideas at you every level. Origins has corridor-like level design, lots of doors, and shorter rooms, while Legends feels faster-paced because it has longer areas. Origins is still a very good game!

Tomazo
Ptizêtre Vert
Tings: 1230

Post by Tomazo »

Dream Whistler wrote:I've been replaying Rayman Origins alongside Legends and I think the key difference in the level design is that Origins prides itself on its looks rather than level design, while Legends throws new ideas at you every level. Origins has corridor-like level design, lots of doors, and shorter rooms, while Legends feels faster-paced because it has longer areas. Origins is still a very good game!
It's an interesting observation. I couldn't decide which game is better; both of them focuses on different things. Personally, I prefer Origins, because I really like its art style, soundtrack and gameplay. I enjoy exploring levels more than running through them quickly, but that is fun too. I also really like that when in Origins you open up a bunch of new levels (and a boss) for each world. It is a really refreshing thing to return to the previous worlds. To sum it up, I would say both Legends and Origins are great in their own ways, but in my opinion a third game with the same 2D animations wouldn't be a good choice.

Adsolution
Dora Dodemer
Tings: 5007

Post by Adsolution »

Dream Whistler wrote:I've been replaying Rayman Origins alongside Legends and I think the key difference in the level design is that Origins prides itself on its looks rather than level design
I complerely disagree. Origins has incredibly meticulously designed levels, which is something that really goes without saying. Every single part of every level is orgsnised and taylored to the game's core mechanics, and rewards precision and skill-based reflex.
Dream Whistler wrote:while Legends throws new ideas at you every level.
Well, those new ideas in a lot of cases are just gimmicks/random temporary mechanics, not necessarily creative level design.
Dream Whistler wrote:Origins has corridor-like level design, lots of doors, and shorter rooms, while Legends feels faster-paced because it has longer areas.
I would argue that that's exactly why Legends feels slower to me - those large, open areas don't really have any more content packed into them than Origins' smaller areas do.

Compare the tricky treasure levels with Legends' music levels: the tricky treasure levels are, hands-down, leagues more intricate, especially in terms of level design. Legends' music levels are just sort of "run along a flat thing until you have to jump and bounce off an enemy to the music, then run along another flat thing that curves up and down a bit, then jump onto a clothes line, land, and run along another flat thing and spin inti an enemy, keep running for another 3 seconds, the end".

Origins wasted absolutely no time with padding, and still manages to be a significantly longer and harder game than Legends.

need my speed
Vendeur
Tings: 9625

Post by need my speed »

It is odd that I prefer Legends because I enjoy exploring levels more than running through them quickly (Origins' timed lums are so very much not a nice idea... But then, I'd say the same about Rayman 3's combo mode), which seems to contrast with all three of you. I would also argue that Legends is much more a whole; you actually travel somewhere, from level to level. Every world tells a story; of infiltrating a castle, or a mansion, or the underworld... The levels are clearly ordered, whereas with Origins, they were just random levels that could be ordered any which way. This also ties in with the exploration. And no, I don't really think Legends has a lot of gimmicks? Could you give some examples? I mean, you could argue Rayman 2 had such gimmicks as well, but that was actually a very positive point, giving identity to every level.
Hello there! o/