Rayman Origins

For discussions about the Rayman series.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.

Which version is your favourite?

PS3
17%
Xbox 360
16%
Wii
16%
PC
43%
PSVita
7%
3DS
2%

Total votes: 167

Romagia
Photographe
Tings: 445

Re: E3 brings us.....more Rabbids AND Rayman!?

Post by Romagia »

bunnieblaster wrote:I don't know what to think. Well, at least Rayman is alive, but:

- It's 2d :( Rayman 1 was cool, sure, but this looks weird
- Rayman is some kind of weird teenage guy
- Globox is some sort of handicapped woman
- The gameplay is stupid
- It's a prequel
You can blame the first 3 points on the last one.
Remember the first mini-game from R3? The 2D one? The description said that when Rayman was younger everything was in 2D.
PowerPatrick
Master Kaag
Tings: 6665

Post by PowerPatrick »

El Dango wrote:but a prequel to the story, so I'll accept it.
When the story does not accord properly with the original game. There would be too many historical errors for me to accept. If Rayman alone was created this way by a fairy, when what about all the limbless inhabitants of The Valley? By the way, he's also wearing the Rayman 3 clothing in this game. We've pretty much organized the storyline well about the franchise on RayWiki, and this game will spoil most of it. I'm also waiting for Spiraldoors argument.
Last edited by PowerPatrick on Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jake360
Créature
Tings: 320

Re: Rayman Origins

Post by Jake360 »

I've made a new sig. :D

But i'm not sure i like the new abstract cartoon style, but still, it's a new Rayman game. :D

Made by ME!!! :D
Spanex
Électoon
Tings: 0

Post by Spanex »

well, I like the new shoes. :3
Tulio
Grand Mini
Tings: 5485

Post by Tulio »

Spanex wrote:well, I like the new shoes. :3
I don't see a big difference. :P
Newray
Électoon
Tings: 5

Post by Newray »

It's not what I originally expected of a new Rayman. But FUCK YEAH!! Ubisoft has listened to their fans and this 'UbiArt' thing seems to be a good developement strategy among all the casual shit that was on E3. We always thought Rayman was a 'kid' in Rayman 1, judging from the envoirement and the overall atmosphere in the game. As Rayman Origins will be a prequel, this thought has somewhat been proven wrong because Rayman has now been represented as an 'uncontrollable youngster' of some kind, no heroic being.
Rayman Origins Progress: 100% Image246/246 Image51/51 Image31/31 Image10/10
Rayman Jungle Run Progress: 100% Image70/70
Rayman 3 HD Progress: 100% ImageScore: 702322 ImageCages: 60/60
Spanex
Électoon

Post by Spanex »

Well I do! :shock:

Anyways, I think I have a little theory for Rayman's (perhaps excusable) crazyness. Because, shown in the trailer, he's born 'fully mature'. But that doesn't mean he's already mature by himself. For example...a baby has to learn everything from scratch...well, except for eating and sleeping, and pooping ofcourse... but that's beside the point.

Maybe when he was created, Betilla-Lookalike made an error in his 'mental age', but then he soon catches up with maturity?

As for Globox, I have no idea what's with him whatsoever. Maybe he hits his head later and that made him a tiny bit smarter. :lol:
Romagia
Photographe
Tings: 445

Post by Romagia »

I allways immagined about some sort of episodic series to fill the plot-holes. Nice.
syntheticgerbil
Lums
Tings: 30

Post by syntheticgerbil »

Why are you all so down on this game? I just saw the trailer today and it looks amazing!

It's a return to form! Start back at Rayman 1! This is going to be great. Is co-op mode happening?

Also, you guys, this is THE Rayman vision, as this is the Rayman game Ancel has worked on recently. So why all the complaints? We did want Ancel back on Rayman right?
alfman
Bras maléfique
Tings: 525

Post by alfman »

This is going to be awesome!

2D = HELL YEAH! i've been waiting for a good 2D game for ages.. actually since super mario and rayman 1!
Man, it's hard to tell how excited i am about this..

i didnt really like the Rayman 3D games because.. well, they werent like the original rayman, you know? The gameplay in Rayman 1 was so awesome, and polished. I hope the gameplay will be kind of similar.
Would prefer more original-ish rayman DOS graphics, but this seems good too! :D

Man, i cant wait!
Tulio
Grand Mini
Tings: 5485

Post by Tulio »

Even the original Rayman 4 was meant to be wacky and crazy back to the roots... Have you seen those old concept arts and interviews?
Not a big surprise. :)
Jake360
Créature
Tings: 320

Post by Jake360 »

I just hope it's priced reasonably well, with it only being DLC i hope SCE and MS don't rip us off.

Made by ME!!! :D
Joshua822
Estellia
Tings: 21010

Post by Joshua822 »

I don't have words for this. It just makes me so happy.

I love the artstyle for this game. Except for how some of the characters ( Like the Livingstone that you see just after Rayman starts running ) look. It just looks so,... harsh. While the characters in other Rayman games always looked a bit friendly and funny.

The music is OK for me too. It's indeed quite generic, but well, the environment makes up for that for me.

As for it being in parts, I actually think that that's a plus. I'll have things to look forward too many times, and when they arrive I'll really enjoy them.

As for the rest, I agree with Drolpiraat's points.

I'm very happy for this announcement. It might not be really big, but it is still a new Rayman game. And a new Rayman game that will also give us new things to think about.

(Please forgive me for all the BS I posted earlier about Rayman being completely dead. That very fortunately isn't true :-) )
Cairnie
Murfy
Tings: 85030

Post by Cairnie »

OMG

Everything's fine here but uh, if that's meant to be Betilla then how come she suddenly got limbs [DOSE LEGS]?

It really sucks that it won't be on wiiware it seems so until I get my own PS3 or XBox I'll just have to ponce my boyfriend into getting the game. :C
giant photobucket picture wuz ere

so wuz old psn banner

you know old out of date stuff
Newray
Électoon

Post by Newray »

Yeah, this game would get some serious attention from casual gamers too, shame it won't be on Wiiware (at least for now)..
Rayman Origins Progress: 100% Image246/246 Image51/51 Image31/31 Image10/10
Rayman Jungle Run Progress: 100% Image70/70
Rayman 3 HD Progress: 100% ImageScore: 702322 ImageCages: 60/60
Lijik
Antitoon

Post by Lijik »

PowerPatrick wrote:
El Dango wrote:but a prequel to the story, so I'll accept it.
When the story does not accord properly with the original game. There would be too many historical errors for me to accept. If Rayman alone was created this way by a fairy, when what about all the limbless inhabitants of The Valley? By the way, he's also wearing the Rayman 3 clothing in this game. We've pretty much organized the storyline well about the franchise on RayWiki, and this game will spoil most of it. I'm also waiting for Spiraldoors argument.

You do realize that none of the games really gave a shit about continuity right? This is par the course for Rayman.

I guess in the years without Rayman games you guys envisioned some grand game in your head that would never possibly come to fruition.
Haruka
Sandra Misu
Tings: 178780

Post by Haruka »

PowerPatrick wrote:
Haruka wrote:And I'm amazed how Betilla returned (Marlyn Monroe reference on the trailer! :lol: ) and the Livingstones... Could this mean that Mr. Dark will also return?!
Well, Betilla and Livingstones with limbs... You can now make a guess. :boon:
For some reason after the transition to 3D, Rayman started to be the only limbless character on the games (I'm not talking about the other 2D games that appeared after). Maybe they decided it was better to give to them limbs but the true reasons are unknown.

But I also don't see why Rayman had to get the R3 style if this game is a prequel of R1, it just makes no sense at all! Even the limbs on the other characters!
spiraldoor
Oumbr
Tings: 156595

Post by spiraldoor »

Wow, it really did feel like I was dreaming for a little while there. Okay, let's see.

I wouldn't go ahead and assume that this is a reboot. The title strongly implies that it's a prequel, as does the description they gave us ('how these grotesque creatures became the heroes we know', or whatever it was). It's perfectly possible that Rayman knew Globox before the Robo-Pirate invasion, so that aspect doesn't trouble me. I don't really get the Rayman-being-created-by-a-fairy thing. Is that supposed to be Betilla? Whatever... the continuity errors here (helicopter etc) were unavoidable, so let's not agonise over them please. Some characters seem to have been redesigned; this is unfortunate but not continuity-shattering. It does happen from time to time. Perhaps Rayman 1 has been retconned so that Betilla always had limbs, and so that Rayman has always had his Rayman 3 appearance. We can't really make such judgements at this stage. I've already speculated that travel between the Glade/Crossroads of Dreams and the Rayman 1 valley is possible (it clears up several continuity errors), and this trailer strengthens my case.

Now... the art style looks good to me. The characters don't. Not in the slightest. I only hope that what we've seen so far isn't representative of the tone or style of the finished product, because it looks much worse that Rayman 3 to me. I was not remotely amused by the trailer's attempts at humour. It looks like something off Cartoon Network, and I don't mean that in a good way.

The gameplay doesn't look terribly appealing. Just a poorly-redesigned Rayman and Globox running around the place and slapping each other. I don't know... again, hopefully the trailer isn't representative.

Sabertooth – You are being an idiot. Who cares if it's not on the Wii? The Wii is the worst console currently available, and wishing for the game's multiplatform development to be restricted by its miserable hardware just so you can play it recalls the appalling selfishness of a ten-year-old RaymanZoner. If it was up to me, this game's developmental restrictions would be minimised by having it developed exclusively for high-end PCs that I can't afford either, and I wouldn't care, because the game is more important than my current personal financial situation. And complaining about the episodic format? Don't give us that crap. We all know that doesn't matter.

I've only watched the trailer once, before reading any of this thread, so I've likely missed a lot of stuff (eg music, gameplay elements). I also have to check out the press releases. Is the Michel Ancel studio thing true? I'll continue this discussion shortly.
Cairnie
Murfy
Tings: 85030

Post by Cairnie »

Well it would be nice if it was on the Wii since some people simply don't have PS3s or 360s. Thankfully I can afford either but then I'd have to decide on what one to get LOL.

Did anyone watch the Travel in Time trailer? Now that was pretty sucky.
giant photobucket picture wuz ere

so wuz old psn banner

you know old out of date stuff
kristaldoodle
Antitoon

Post by kristaldoodle »

YES YES YES!

ive been waiting for a new rayman game since i was 7!

the art style looks wacky and entertaining and i do hope its for the Wii (not Wiiware i doesnt matter to me) but i would punch a wall if the PS3 and Xbox only gets it. then i would nerd rage to the highest point for just having a Wii. but srsly people keep telling me buy a Xbox even if its a piece of sh*t. >:T
je parle en Francais aussi. (je suis quebecoise).