Rayman Origins

Talk about Rayman himself and Rayman games!

Moderator: English moderators

Which version is your favourite?

PS3
20%
Xbox 360
14%
Wii
16%
PC
41%
PSVita
6%
3DS
3%

Total votes: 109

Henchman1028
Razoff
Tings: 7551

Re: Rayman Origins

Post by Henchman1028 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:26 am

[quote="SoundslikeStu"] Most people I talk to that are into videogames haven't a clue what on earth Rayman IS which sucks.

Same here, but with the Starfy games. Barely anyone knows about them (And the majority that do found it out from Brawl) since only the fifth game (The Legendary Starfy) has been released in America and Europe so far (1-3 can be played on an GBA emulator, and 4 can be played on a DS emulator), and it hasn't been selling very well because of it's lower difficulty and more linearity than the other four. If you have a DS, you should try it, it is a very good game, and very underrated. :|

Jewish Candy
Uglette
Tings: 28664

Post by Jewish Candy » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:32 am

Henchman1028 wrote:
SoundslikeStu wrote: Most people I talk to that are into videogames haven't a clue what on earth Rayman IS which sucks.
Same here, but with the Starfy games. Barely anyone knows about them.
I love the Starfy games! Complete otaku-ey goodness, that's what they are! :coeur: I hate it how classics like Starfy and Rayman get bundled with... well, what I would call slightly less original games. I have never found Crash Bandicoot games fun (though they're not bad, by any means), but apparently Rayman's in the same league as him. There's only one person in real life that I know who has any idea what Rayman is, beyond rabbids. Games companies LOVE people to be ignorant, don't they? :tssk:

There are a whole bunch of newbies here now, aren't there? We've just been looking for a reason to stop following and start joining! :winkgrin:
Sig by Juli Patti~
Proof that I control the Pirate Community at its highest levels. And here, further evidence of my divinity...
Words to live by:
[quote="Melody"]eybrows make everything shmexy[/quote]

Henchman1028
Razoff
Tings: 7551

Post by Henchman1028 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:01 am

The new Crash Bandicoots are even worse (An example of why you don't turn a platformer into a fighting game).

Jewish Candy
Uglette

Post by Jewish Candy » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:28 am

Henchman1028 wrote:The new Crash Bandicoots are even worse (An example of why you don't turn a platformer into a fighting game).
*cough cough* Rayman 3 *cough cough*...
Sig by Juli Patti~
Proof that I control the Pirate Community at its highest levels. And here, further evidence of my divinity...
Words to live by:

Jake360
Obus à Pattes
Tings: 320

Post by Jake360 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:59 pm

Joshua822 wrote:
I'm really glad we've got another Rayman game, I don't think this will be regarded as a true title to the main series
Why wouldn't we regard it as a part of the main series? Look at this blogpost on raymanorigins.uk.ubi.com. What Ubisoft says to us here is that this game tells the story of "how this uncontrollable individual and his grotesque companion become the heroes that we know". Judging by this subject, it has to be a part of the main series.

As of it being in 2D, aside of the changes in the artists' workflow and the art style that the artists wish to use, I think there are also some continuity related reasons why it is better that this game is in 2D. If my train of thought is correct ( correct me otherwise ), Rayman's world ended up in 3D between Rayman 1 and 2, judging by this Rayman 2 trailer. Seeing that this game is a prequel to Rayman 1, for continuity reasons it would best be in 2D.
Sorry, i didn't mean that. I know it is going to be part of the Rayman story and it isn't going to be a spin off, but it isn't going to be regarded as the Rayman 4. And i have no problem with it being in 2D. :)

Made by ME!!! :D

Spanex
Électoon
Tings: 0

Post by Spanex » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:03 pm

It wouldn't really be regarded as R4 anyway. It's the beginning of the beginning. Wouldn't make much sense if it was happening after R3, now would it? :mrgreen:

spiraldoor
Mr Dark
Tings: 156595

Post by spiraldoor » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:07 pm

Joshua822 wrote:As of it being in 2D, aside of the changes in the artists' workflow and the art style that the artists wish to use, I think there are also some continuity related reasons why it is better that this game is in 2D. If my train of thought is correct ( correct me otherwise ), Rayman's world ended up in 3D between Rayman 1 and 2, judging by this Rayman 2 trailer. Seeing that this game is a prequel to Rayman 1, for continuity reasons it would best be in 2D.
I don't think we should take that Rayman 2 teaser trailer as a canonical bridge between the events of Rayman 1 and 2. It's just a trailer showing the audience that Rayman is 3D now. And what about that guy who was lying on the tree-branch next to Rayman (Tomato Taco, or whatever you want to call him)? Did he just evaporate?

A shift between 2D and 3D is not something that even needs to be mentioned in a timeline. Neither do upgrades in graphics, or new music, or anything else not pertaining directly to the world in which the games are set. There is nothing wrong with the idea of a 3D prequel to Rayman 1.
Jewish Candy wrote:
Henchman1028 wrote:The new Crash Bandicoots are even worse (An example of why you don't turn a platformer into a fighting game).
*cough cough* Rayman 3 *cough cough*...
The first three Crash Bandicoot games are excellent.
Spanex wrote:It wouldn't really be regarded as R4 anyway. It's the beginning of the beginning. Wouldn't make much sense if it was happening after R3, now would it? :mrgreen:
There would be nothing wrong with them calling this Rayman 4. The events of Metal Gear Solid 3 took place before the events of Metal Gear Solid 1 and I don't think that it caused the series's universe to collapse.

Spanex
Électoon
Tings: 0

Post by Spanex » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:14 pm

It still wouldn't really make sense. >_>

spiraldoor
Mr Dark

Post by spiraldoor » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:29 pm

I have no difficulty in understanding it at all.

Joshua822
Murray
Tings: 21010

Post by Joshua822 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:31 pm

Thanks for the correction Spiraldoor.

But then again, in this topic someone pointed out that in the beginning of the "2D Madness" mini game in Rayman 3, at the start the introducing text would say that when Rayman was younger everything was in 2D. So if this is correct this game might be in 2D for continuity reasons as well.

I agree with you that a prequel to Rayman 1 doesn't have to be in 2D, Spiraldoor. I'm just thinking about all the reasons for which Ubisoft might have decided to set this game in a 2D world. That's all ;)

PluMGMK
Pâquerette
Location: Tír an "Tuisil Ghinidigh" agus an "Mhodha Choinníollaigh"
Tings: 14603

Post by PluMGMK » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:33 pm

I think the decision was made the other way round. They were making a 2D game, so made it a prequel for the reasons outlined above.

spiraldoor
Mr Dark

Post by spiraldoor » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:53 pm

The description of 2D Madness was a joke. It was a humorous reference to the change in dimensions that only the player would 'get'. I don't think Rayman or anyone else would have noticed a dimensional 'shift' at any point. If he did, then it would only be revealed to us in a fourth wall-breaking moment (like Globox's 'You were nicer in Rayman 2' line).

The world was 3D in Rayman 1 anyway. Look at the parallax-scrolling layers of the background and the foreground.

Phoenixan
Uglette
Tings: 26323

Post by Phoenixan » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:59 pm

And from the video, it seems that Rayman Origins has more interesting parallax methods. If you look at the intro when they zoom in on Betilla, you can see the forward layers bend slightly, as though it's being rendered in a 3D engine (but it's not too unusual to do a 2D game with flat polygons).

RaySpola
Reclu
Tings: 665

Post by RaySpola » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:52 pm

Hello everyone,
I'm new here, but I have been visiting the Rayman Pirate Community for a long time. Because I'm not English or French I apologize for my bad language skills.
I was very happy when I have heard of Rayman Origins. Do you think that the yellow things you can see in the trailer are yellow lums? I hope lums are coming back

Jewish Candy
Uglette

Post by Jewish Candy » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:23 pm

Hi, Spola-kun! :winkgrin: This is AWESOME! A whole bunch of new guys! We could, like, take over or something! :hinhinhin:
And your English ain't bad at all, mate.
EDIT: They certainly look like yellow lums, but that suggests the primordial (dammit, here's some soup already, Ubi!) core has been blown up. By something. The bad guys. The GIANT PINK MONSTER!!!!! Who knows?
Sig by Juli Patti~
Words to live by:

Sabertooth
Joe
Tings: 53310

Post by Sabertooth » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:11 pm

Jewish Candy wrote:But that suggests the primordial core has been blown up.
Just because yellow lums exist doesn't mean that the Heart of the World has been blown up. The Heart is made up of yellow lums, but that doesn't mean that those are the only yellow lums in existence. Rayman had to collect 1,000 of them to restore the Heart, but there could easily be more out there.
BestXIII wrote:The knaarens are very big shitass! :grrrrrr:

need my speed
Vendeur
Tings: 9625

Post by need my speed » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:13 pm

Well, a new Rayman game is nice of course. However, this is more trash. Everyone is acting stupid (just look at Rayman, Globox, and Ly, what's up with them), this can't be taken seriously. This game will be really stupid if it stays that way. But for the rest it does look nice, although it goes a bit fast.

And, in order for yellow lums to appear, the core does need to be blown up. The game says that 1000 lums exist, and that the core has been blown up into 1000 lums. Thus, all of the 1000 lums make up the core. But, what if there was no core? What if the core was built to replace the Great Protoon after Mister Dark captured it, and maybe damaged it beyond repair? Then there would be yellow lums floating around.
Hello there! o/

Alden
Électoon
Tings: 20

Post by Alden » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:29 pm

Don't you mean Betilla? I'm assuming you were referring to the girl who made Rayman in the trailer.

Although yeah, I agree that the idiocy humor might be a bit much. Rayman 1 wasn't particularly serious, Rayman 2 took itself more seriously and wasn't really whimsical in the way R1 was, R3 was more comical but it tried a bit too hard to be hilarious, RO seems like it's the same old stuff we've been getting since R3.

HappyHaunter
Magicien Ptizetre
Tings: 1565

Post by HappyHaunter » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:50 pm

The way I see it is that Rayman always was a wacky dude. The reason for all the seriousness in Rayman 2 was because it was a very dark time in his life. The pirates posed a very serious threat. The game coulda been over right from the start if it wern't for Globox!

Jake360
Obus à Pattes
Tings: 320

Post by Jake360 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:50 pm

Because it's 2D and the cutscenes arn't going to be as emersive and connectible as it would be in 3D i don't mind him being a bit... strange. If in Rayman 4 he turns out to be a childish retard then i'll find it very frustrating, especially considering that the people who fell in love with the game when it originally came out are going to be 18+ years old. If they do make a Rayman 4 then I think, and hope, they'll take it back to a Rayman 2 theme.

Made by ME!!! :D