Rayman Origins

Talk about Rayman himself and Rayman games!

Moderator: English moderators

Which version is your favourite?

PS3
22
19%
Xbox 360
16
14%
Wii
17
15%
PC
49
43%
PSVita
8
7%
3DS
3
3%
 
Total votes: 115

RaySpola
Reclu
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:37 pm
Location: Venice, Italy
Tings: 665

Re: Rayman Origins

Post by RaySpola »

I think that the lifebar is not an important thing in the game. It won't be a problem for me, if they change it or not. Instead I hope for a good gameplay and a good storyline.
alfman wrote:kinda off-topic as of now, but relevant to the game.

Rayman species, what they call a "thingamajig" is actually an attempt to clarify a species for him (cuz him unique etc, if we look away from tarayzan and those guys).
I think thingamajig is wordplay for "thing of magic".

Only a hypothesis though ^^
I remember that in Rayman 3 the king of the Knaaren called Rayman Abortus Membratus or something similar. I searched thingamajig on the net. They said that it's a way to describe something weird or unknown, so I think that it isn't actually the name of the Rayman's species.

Haruka
Rayman 2
Posts: 26719
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:19 pm
Tings: 178780

Re: Rayman Origins

Post by Haruka »

Spanex wrote:He looks so happy...it freaks me. XD I hope the lifebar changes, actually.
There are still chances that being just a beta life-bar.

Shawn
Antitoon
Posts: 8105
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:23 pm
Location: The Twilight Zone
Contact:
Tings: 0

Re: Rayman Origins

Post by Shawn »

RaySpola wrote:I remember that in Rayman 3 the king of the Knaaren called Rayman Abortus Membratus or something similar. I searched thingamajig on the net. They said that it's a way to describe something weird or unknown, so I think that it isn't actually the name of the Rayman's species.
The scientific name at least.
Image
Therefore, brothers, we have an obligation-but it is not to the sinful nature, to live according to it. For if you live according to the sinful nature, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live, because those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. For if you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba, Father." The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children. Now if we are children, then we are heirs, heirs of God and co-heirs of Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.
Image

Jewish Candy
Uglette
Posts: 7031
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:13 pm
Tings: 28664

Re: Rayman Origins

Post by Jewish Candy »

Oooooooh - a video. :winkgrin:
I sure hope it is Heral composin'. His work on BG&E was byooooooooooooooootiful, for want of a better word. (What a hilarious ampersand...) And I personally like the life bar, very R1-ish, which is what the game's all about really, going back to basics. Henchie1028's idea about the R2 face thing is great. Ubi - READ.

I do have a bit of an issue though. The (very) brief play definitely demonstrates some Mario sliding. I can understand why, as Rayman's 'caveboy' role needs to be reflected in his movement, BUT - but but but - it's completely the opposite of the control scheme for R1. It makes me worry that this is going to be way too momentum based, which is a far cry from the precision that we see in other Rayman games (even R3...) I personally find the Mario slide unecessary at times, especially in his more recent titles, and I'd hate to see Rayman suffer too. At least Ninty know what they're doing with this kind of control scheme. :?

That said, the rest of the game, the art especially, looks in great shape. Have the Frenchies done anything to help us non-french speaking heretics understand what the hell people are saying?! I'd love to know. We can't get angry for them not speak English, though - if we can't be bothered to learn their language, why should they bother to speak ours? :tssk:

EDIT:
Abortus Membratus
I don't remember hearing this... but if it's true (probably is, I've got the memory of a goldfish with dementia), then doesn't that mean something like 'lack of skin' or the like? Need to touch up on my latin, but that definitely makes sense regarding Rayman's lack of limbs.
Image
Sig by Juli Patti~
Proof that I control the Pirate Community at its highest levels. And here, further evidence of my divinity...
Words to live by:
[quote="Melody"]eybrows make everything shmexy[/quote]

Spanex
Électoon
Posts: 3464
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:09 pm
Location: THE ABYSS
Contact:
Tings: 0

Re: Rayman Origins

Post by Spanex »

RaySpola wrote:I think that the lifebar is not an important thing in the game. It won't be a problem for me, if they change it or not. Instead I hope for a good gameplay and a good storyline.
alfman wrote:kinda off-topic as of now, but relevant to the game.

Rayman species, what they call a "thingamajig" is actually an attempt to clarify a species for him (cuz him unique etc, if we look away from tarayzan and those guys).
I think thingamajig is wordplay for "thing of magic".

Only a hypothesis though ^^
I remember that in Rayman 3 the king of the Knaaren called Rayman Abortus Membratus or something similar. I searched thingamajig on the net. They said that it's a way to describe something weird or unknown, so I think that it isn't actually the name of the Rayman's species.
Yep.

Thingamajig - Something that is hard to classify or whose name is unknown or forgotten.

Other words are...

thingmajig
thingumajig
thingumabob
thingamabob
thingmabob
doojigger
doodad...and so on.

Can be found about everywhere on google. :mrgreen:
Image

Cairnie
Magicien
Posts: 9810
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:05 pm
Location: robin hood land
Contact:
Tings: 78460

Re: Rayman Origins

Post by Cairnie »

LOL I actually like that sliding thing. :P
giant photobucket picture wuz ere

so wuz old psn banner

you know old out of date stuff

PluMGMK
Pizzicatta
Posts: 30956
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:00 pm
Location: [raytunes]bge-44[/raytunes]
Contact:
Tings: 3165

Re: Rayman Origins

Post by PluMGMK »

Jewish Candy wrote:EDIT:
Abortus Membratus
I don't remember hearing this... but if it's true (probably is, I've got the memory of a goldfish with dementia), then doesn't that mean something like 'lack of skin' or the like? Need to touch up on my Latin, but that definitely makes sense regarding Rayman's lack of limbs.
I never remember that being said. But Abortus Membratus means something like "lack of limbs".

RaySpola
Reclu
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:37 pm
Location: Venice, Italy
Tings: 665

Re: Rayman Origins

Post by RaySpola »

PluMGMK wrote:
Jewish Candy wrote:EDIT:
Abortus Membratus
I don't remember hearing this... but if it's true (probably is, I've got the memory of a goldfish with dementia), then doesn't that mean something like 'lack of skin' or the like? Need to touch up on my Latin, but that definitely makes sense regarding Rayman's lack of limbs.
I never remember that being said. But Abortus Membratus means something like "lack of limbs".
I'm talking about the Italian version. I don't know if you play in English or French the king of the Knareen says that. But it's just before the first fight against Reflux.

Spanex
Électoon
Posts: 3464
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:09 pm
Location: THE ABYSS
Contact:
Tings: 0

Re: Rayman Origins

Post by Spanex »

Gumsi calls Rayman a "limbless little runt" in english.

"Won't you shut up you stupid toad?! Now Reflux is our champion, and no knaaren has ever defeated him! Do you really believe that a limbless little runt has a chance against him?"

I turned off all sounds except dialog to get this.
Image

Joshua822
Murray
Posts: 2810
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:43 pm
Location: The Woods of Light
Tings: 21010

Re: Rayman Origins

Post by Joshua822 »

Very interesting video Drolpiraat! I'm very glad about what they've said!

And as far as the Tomb of the ancients is concerned. Those tombstones could make sense if I'm correct about this: you see, the Tomb of the ancients acts as a technical checkup ( see the sign that you see when you enter the level ). So it might be logical for them to have a graveyard there for the Robo-Pirates that couldn't be fixed, and if Robo-Pirates have a bit of feelings.

Jewish Candy
Uglette
Posts: 7031
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:13 pm
Tings: 28664

Re: Rayman Origins

Post by Jewish Candy »

Joshua822 wrote:Very interesting video Drolpiraat! I'm very glad about what they've said!

And as far as the Tomb of the ancients is concerned. Those tombstones could make sense if I'm correct about this: you see, the Tomb of the ancients acts as a technical checkup ( see the sign that you see when you enter the level ). So it might be logical for them to have a graveyard there for the Robo-Pirates that couldn't be fixed, and if Robo-Pirates have a bit of feelings.
+1 to that. What a nice theory. :D Though it is 'Of the Ancients'.
Image
Sig by Juli Patti~
Proof that I control the Pirate Community at its highest levels. And here, further evidence of my divinity...
Words to live by:
[quote="Melody"]eybrows make everything shmexy[/quote]

RaySpola
Reclu
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:37 pm
Location: Venice, Italy
Tings: 665

Re: Rayman Origins

Post by RaySpola »

Spanex wrote:Gumsi calls Rayman a "limbless little runt" in english.

"Won't you shut up you stupid toad?! Now Reflux is our champion, and no knaaren has ever defeated him! Do you really believe that a limbless little runt has a chance against him?"

I turned off all sounds except dialog to get this.
So it's only a different way of translation and the rayman species remains a mistery...
Last edited by RaySpola on Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spiraldoor
Mr Dark
Posts: 12391
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:13 pm
Tings: 156595

Re: Rayman Origins

Post by spiraldoor »

The 1000 Yellow Lums that Rayman collected were the ones that came from the Heart of the World when it was destroyed. If I have to go trawling through the game for specific quotes to prove this, so be it.

Perhaps Razorbeard transfers his consciousness into a new robotic shell when his old one grows too old or rusted, then inters the previous body. I don't know.

The child-king of the Knaaren is named Gumsi in the English version of the game. I don't know what 'Abortus Membratus' is or means, but I dislike the name for its similarity to the word 'abortion'.

The incremental health-bar in Rayman Origins is a very good thing. 2D games don't work well with the sort of liquid health-bars that Rayman 2 and 3 had. The sliding in the trailer displeases me, but it may just be something like the sheet music in Band Land or the ink slicks in Picture City.

Jewish Candy
Uglette
Posts: 7031
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:13 pm
Tings: 28664

Re: Rayman Origins

Post by Jewish Candy »

spiraldoor wrote:The sliding in the trailer displeases me, but it may just be something like the sheet music in Band Land or the ink slicks in Picture City.
To clarify, I'm not refering to the sliding down that slope in the Ubiart trailer. And I'm pretty sure I spelt refering wrong. :(
In the brief, BRIEF demo Ancel plays in Droolie-senpai's video, we see a controlled excerpt of Rayman running through that silhouette environment. That's on grass/moss/something greeney-brown, but his movement seems like a badly programmed Mario in an ice stage. That's my issue, really. :winkgrin:
Image
Sig by Juli Patti~
Proof that I control the Pirate Community at its highest levels. And here, further evidence of my divinity...
Words to live by:
[quote="Melody"]eybrows make everything shmexy[/quote]

Spanex
Électoon
Posts: 3464
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:09 pm
Location: THE ABYSS
Contact:
Tings: 0

Re: Rayman Origins

Post by Spanex »

Spiral, sometimes you really think too much. :roll:
Image

spiraldoor
Mr Dark
Posts: 12391
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:13 pm
Tings: 156595

Re: Rayman Origins

Post by spiraldoor »

Unfortunately most people don't think quite enough.

Shawn
Antitoon
Posts: 8105
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:23 pm
Location: The Twilight Zone
Contact:
Tings: 0

Re: Rayman Origins

Post by Shawn »

Spanex wrote:Spiral, sometimes you really think too much. :roll:
Someone's gotta do it.
Image
Therefore, brothers, we have an obligation-but it is not to the sinful nature, to live according to it. For if you live according to the sinful nature, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live, because those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. For if you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba, Father." The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children. Now if we are children, then we are heirs, heirs of God and co-heirs of Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.
Image

Spanex
Électoon
Posts: 3464
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:09 pm
Location: THE ABYSS
Contact:
Tings: 0

Re: Rayman Origins

Post by Spanex »

Not when it's about games anyway :P
Image

Shawn
Antitoon
Posts: 8105
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:23 pm
Location: The Twilight Zone
Contact:
Tings: 0

Re: Rayman Origins

Post by Shawn »

It's all for fun. At least I hope so.
Image
Therefore, brothers, we have an obligation-but it is not to the sinful nature, to live according to it. For if you live according to the sinful nature, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live, because those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. For if you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba, Father." The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children. Now if we are children, then we are heirs, heirs of God and co-heirs of Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.
Image

Haruka
Rayman 2
Posts: 26719
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:19 pm
Tings: 178780

Re: Rayman Origins

Post by Haruka »

spiraldoor wrote:Unfortunately most people don't think quite enough.
That's one problem of the humanity, most people don't know or they just don't spend a little time thinking in question the things that go to our ears.

Post Reply