Rayman Origins

For discussions about the Rayman series.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.

Which version is your favourite?

PS3
17%
Xbox 360
16%
Wii
16%
PC
43%
PSVita
7%
3DS
2%

Total votes: 167

technology4617
Antitoon
Tings: 10

Re: Rayman Origins

Post by technology4617 »

And I thought this was bad...

Strangely enough, despite its feat of turning a great game into a shitty abomination, it actually has the best controls out of all the R1 ports.
emshomar wrote:< just managed it to clog the toilet ._.
< made a great buisness (wow in english that sounds even better :D )
Adsolution
Aline Louïa
Tings: 106718

Post by Adsolution »

The only problem with the PC version is that the music is combined, it's far from a shitty abomination. At least they didn't remove any tracks.
technology4617
Antitoon

Post by technology4617 »

Adsolution wrote:The only problem with the PC version is that the music is combined, it's far from a shitty abomination. At least they didn't remove any tracks.
And the crap sound effects. And the poor-quality backgrounds and graphics. And the unnecessarily small FOV. And the missing MIDI drum tracks. And the fake "loading screens."

Also, the music tracks being combined is a major issue in itself, as it detractsfrom the atmosphere of the game, especially in levels like Mr. Stone's Peaks, where the player is intended to feel like they are transversing a dangerous mountain, which the game perfectly pulled off in the PlayStation version with ominous wind and storm sound effects. Instead, in the PC version, the player feels like they are going through a tedious maze of spikes, listening to the same track over and over again.
OCG
Le Capitaine
Tings: 9905

Post by OCG »

The only issue I have with PC version are cages and I still to this day never got them all.
Image [YouTube] [Facebook] [Twitter] [DeviantART]

[Skype: アンドリヤ (OCG)] [Xbox Live: OldClassicGamer] [PSN: OldClassicGamer] [Steam: OldClassicGamer] [Nintendo Network ID: OldClassicGamer] [3DS FC: 0275-8128-3030]

Thank Mr. Skeltal Image
Adsolution
Aline Louïa

Post by Adsolution »

technology4617 wrote:And the crap sound effects.
The sound effects are the same aside from the tings (I actually like the PC's ting sounds better than the PS1's), except the sounds aren't pitched up like they are in the PS1 version, which I also like. The pitching-up sounds ridiculous in my opinion, Rayman sounds like he's high on helium whenever you stand on the edge of a ledge.
technology4617 wrote:And the poor-quality backgrounds and graphics.
The only background actually affected by this is the swamp Dream Forest background, and only some foreground graphics are; most of them retain nearly full quality with no visible loss unless you start tabbing comparison screenshots. They actually did a really good job making the most of the 8-bit palette, it looks virtually identical to the PS1 version in almost all cases.
technology4617 wrote:And the unnecessarily small FOV.
The FoV is the same horizontally, just cropped vertically to make it run in 16:10. Why they decided upon this I don't know, but I don't find the loss of a bit of the top and bottom of the screen to be bothersome at all. I actually like being able to have the game fully consume my widescreen monitor.
technology4617 wrote:And the missing MIDI drum tracks.
Aside from the boss victory dance, those kind of sucked ass. Though, they would have been nice I suppose, but I don't really lament their departure. They seemed kind of random, tacked-on and out-of-place. The PC version actually includes an epic, fully-produced version of the MIDI PS1 loading screen drum motif now featured in boss fights, which I really like.
technology4617 wrote:And the fake "loading screens."
There were a far higher variety of loading screen animations in the PC version, I'm not really sure what your complaint is here. The PC version kind of wins in this regard.
technology4617
Antitoon

Post by technology4617 »

Adsolution wrote:The sound effects are the same aside from the tings (I actually like the PC's ting sounds better than the PS1's), except the sounds aren't pitched up like they are in the PS1 version, which I also like. The pitching-up sounds ridiculous in my opinion, Rayman sounds like he's high on helium whenever you stand on the edge of a ledge.
Rayman is modeled after a six-year-old child, thus it makes sense for him to have a high-pitched voice. And how is having unnecessarily low-pitched sound effects better than having high-pitched ones.

I personally think they just pitched up the sound effects when they wanted to edit the way a particular thing sounded, rather than recreating the entire sound effect. While not the original pitch, I think the pitched-up sounds actually sound better, but not to a ridiculous extent like in the Saturn version. The PlayStation version was also the original CD version of the game, the PC port simply being: a port, making it more likely that they originally intended to have the sounds pitched up.
Adsolution wrote:The only background actually affected by this is the swamp Dream Forest background, and only some foreground graphics are; most of them retain nearly full quality with no visible loss unless you start tabbing comparison screenshots. They actually did a really good job making the most of the 8-bit palette, it looks virtually identical to the PS1 version in almost all cases.
Really? I noticed poor background quality in Gong Heights (where the sun simply looked like a circular sticker stuck in the sky)
Adsolution wrote:The FoV is the same horizontally, just cropped vertically to make it run in 16:10. Why they decided upon this I don't know, but I don't find the loss of a bit of the top and bottom of the screen to be bothersome at all. I actually like being able to have the game fully consume my widescreen monitor.
You can do the same with the PlayStation version by simply cropping the image. :roll: Bu if you actually want to have a larger FOV, you have that option as well.
Adsolution wrote:Aside from the boss victory dance, those kind of sucked ass. Though, they would have been nice I suppose, but I don't really lament their departure. They seemed kind of random, tacked-on and out-of-place. The PC version actually includes an epic, fully-produced version of the MIDI PS1 loading screen drum motif now featured in boss fights, which I really like.
That really comes down to personal taste. Personally, I really enjoy them, as they add atmosphere to the game, particularly in the Blue Mountains levels. Going off-topic on the subject of your Rayman HD remake, I still think you should include these, as many people (including myself) enjoy them.

Also, that boss track just further cements a flaw with the first game, not just in the PC version, but in all of them besides the GBA and Jaguar versions: taking the lazy way out rather than properly looping the tracks.
Adsolution wrote:There were a far higher variety of loading screen animations in the PC version, I'm not really sure what your complaint is here. The PC version kind of wins in this regard.
Because I love staring at fake loading screens. :) Isn't that so much more fun than actually playing the game? It's even more interesting when you find out you can skip all of them, making you wonder why their existance was necessary in the first place. Yes, the PlayStaton version had a loading screen once you entered a new world for the first time, but the purpose of that was more to create excitement than anything else.
Adsolution
Aline Louïa

Post by Adsolution »

technology4617 wrote:Rayman is modeled after a six-year-old child,
No he isn't...?
technology4617 wrote:thus it makes sense for him to have a high-pitched voice.
If he's supposed to sound like a child, then get a child to do the voices instead of giving him that weird helium voice. Besides, when you activate the falling death animation the PS1 version, suddenly he has his normal-pitched voice. There's no consistency, the pitch is all over the place even within Rayman's own voice.
technology4617 wrote:And how is having unnecessarily low-pitched sound effects better than having high-pitched ones.
We've had this conversation before: The PC version's sound effects are lowered by just one semitone, whereas many of the sound effects in the PS1 version are raised between half an octave to over an octave. You might as well just call them the original pitches, because they aren't shifted enough to make any kind of an impactful difference in the game's soundscape.
technology4617 wrote:Really? I noticed poor background quality in Gong Heights (where the sun simply looked like a circular sticker stuck in the sky)
That's a modification of the background, not poor background quality. The Saturn version also has a different modified background in Gong Heights.
technology4617 wrote:You can do the same with the PlayStation version by simply cropping the image. :roll:
No, that chops off the HUD.
technology4617 wrote:I still think you should include these, as many people (including myself) enjoy them.
I plan to, but given technology, they wouldn't sound like random poop MIDI.
technology4617 wrote:Because I love staring at fake loading screens. :) Isn't that so much more fun than actually playing the game? It's even more interesting when you find out you can skip all of them, making you wonder why their existance was necessary in the first place. Yes, the PlayStaton version had a loading screen once you entered a new world for the first time, but the purpose of that was more to create excitement than anything else.
And the PC version's don't serve the same purpose...?
technology4617
Antitoon

Post by technology4617 »

Adsolution wrote:No he isn't...?
I thought the game was originally about a child falling into a computer game, but then they scrapped that... ?
Adsolution wrote:If he's supposed to sound like a child, then get a child to do the voices instead of giving him that weird helium voice. Besides, when you activate the falling death animation the PS1 version, suddenly he has his normal-pitched voice. There's no consistency, the pitch is all over the place even within Rayman's own voice.
I thought that was more like jeering from an audience, personally. Also, to answer your question about the actor, they were probably too lazy to get an actual child to voice him. :P
Adsolution wrote:And how is having unnecessarily low-pitched sound effects better than having high-pitched ones.
We've had this conversation before: The PC version's sound effects are lowered by just one semitone, whereas many of the sound effects in the PS1 version are raised between half an octave to over an octave.
Adsolution wrote:That's a modification of the background, not poor background quality. The Saturn version also has a modified background in Gong Heights.
Yes, but that modification actually looked good. :P The PC version's one looks crappy.
Adsolution wrote:No, that chops off the HUD.
Not if you adjust the image properly.
Adsolution wrote:I plan to, but given technology, they wouldn't sound like poop MIDI.
I can dig that. :)
Adsolution wrote:And the PC version's don't serve the same purpose...?
Not really, just boredom, for the most part, due to the lack of music or anything interesting other than the animations. They are literally loading screens for the loading screens. I do appreciate that you can skip them, but why have them be there at all?
Adsolution
Aline Louïa

Post by Adsolution »

technology4617 wrote:I thought the game was originally about a child falling into a computer game, but then they scrapped that... ?
'Jimmy' is ten actually, not six, and that was just a thing for marketing slapped onto the back of the Jaguar box, not related to the original development.
technology4617 wrote:I thought that was more like jeering from an audience, personally.
No, I mean in those specific places in the game where you trigger the falling death animation, not the sound that plays every time you die.
technology4617 wrote:Yes, but that modification actually looked good. :P The PC version's one looks crappy.
Sorry, my bad, I was actually thinking of the Mister Sax's Hullabaloo background when saying that. Nevermind.
technology4617 wrote:Not if you adjust the image properly.
The HUD isn't adaptive. Either you crop the entire image or you squish it.
technology4617 wrote:Not really, just boredom, for the most part, due to the lack of music or anything interesting other than the animations. They are literally loading screens for the loading screens. I do appreciate that you can skip them, but why have them be there at all?
I actually prefer the lack of music, because that's about the only moment of silence you get in the entire game. The silence, to me, gives a nice contrast and actually makes it less boring, it's like the calm before the storm. This is a really pointless discussion though, because if you can skip them, something you can't do in the PS1 version, then you shouldn't be complaining.
technology4617
Antitoon

Post by technology4617 »

Adsolution wrote:'Jimmy' is ten actually, not six, and that was just a thing for marketing slapped onto the back of the Jaguar box, not related to the original development.
lol "Jimmy?" Ah, the R1 Rayman looks a bit like a child, so I was wondering...
Adsolution wrote:No, I mean in those specific places in the game where you trigger the falling death animation, not the sound that plays every time you die.
That was probably just a dumb oversight on the developers' part, or they accidentally increased the pitch too much for the other animation.
Adsolution wrote:Sorry, my bad, I was actually thinking of the Mister Sax's Hullabaloo background when saying that. Nevermind.
Oh. :P I didn't really notice any differences with that background. I was referring to the Gong Heights background, by the way. The Saturn version has my favorite background for that level, since I think the glowing sun helps add to the environment, and it always stays in a fixed location, which makes much more sense than the scrolling sun in the other versions.
Adsolution wrote:The HUD isn't adaptive. Either you crop the entire image or you squish it.]
Sorry. That was an oversight on my part. Never mind. :P Adjusting the image to see the bottom of the screen cuts off the top. Fail.
Adsolution wrote:I actually prefer the lack of music, because that's about the only moment of silence you get in the entire game. The silence, to me, gives a nice contrast and actually makes it less boring, it's like the calm before the storm. This is a really pointless discussion though, because if you can skip them, something you can't do in the PS1 version, then you shouldn't be complaining.
I suppose it comes down to personal taste again, but I find the silence rather boring to be honest. You are just staring at a dull animation (that doesn't even need o be there) that has no purpose other than to annoy you. And, ideally, though I like the PS loading screens more, I wish you could skip those as well.
raymanHUN
Ptizêtre Ninja
Tings: 3466

Post by raymanHUN »

it is better then i tought, however there are some very hard levels to progress them 100%
minimalism
technology4617
Antitoon

Post by technology4617 »

raymanHUN wrote:it is better then i tought, however there are some very hard levels to progress them 100%
Eh, are you referring to Origins or R1?
raymanHUN
Ptizêtre Ninja
Tings: 3466

Post by raymanHUN »

origins
minimalism
Haruka
Sandra Misu
Tings: 178780

Post by Haruka »

To anybody who owns a PS3, you might want to take advantage of the January sales of PlayStation Store, where the digital version of RO is being sold for 9,99€ (8,99€ for PS Plus members).
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 610019

Post by Hunchman801 »

I can understand that some people would prefer the PlayStation version over PC, though the latter also has great exclusive content, but calling it bad is just way too exaggerated, I discovered the game with this version and I absolutely loved it.

Also, technology4617, please check your quotes before submitting your posts, they're always messed up and it makes it a pain to follow the discussion.
Haruka
Sandra Misu
Tings: 178780

Post by Haruka »

Hunchman801 wrote:I can understand that some people would prefer the PlayStation version over PC, though the latter also has great exclusive content, but calling it bad is just way too exaggerated, I discovered the game with this version and I absolutely loved it.
When I defeated Rayman 1 for the first time, it was in the PC version and I quite enjoyed it. :)
Master
Rayman 1
Tings: 404084

Post by Master »

I've never fully played the PC version of Rayman 1, I got as far as Bongo Hills, if I remember right. All of my other experiences with Rayman 1 have solely been on the PS1.
Slogbait
Homme de Pierre
Tings: 2030

Post by Slogbait »

The PSX version definitely handled the sound better, but otherwise it always seemed to me the PC version was far better despite only having played it once.
technology4617
Antitoon

Post by technology4617 »

Hunchman801 wrote:I can understand that some people would prefer the PlayStation version over PC, though the latter also has great exclusive content, but calling it bad is just way too exaggerated, I discovered the game with this version and I absolutely loved it.
I would disagree, as a terrible porting job won't necessarily detract from the quality of the game all that much, but that still doesn't mean it is a good port! It's a pretty terrible port in all honestly, being both released for the wrong platform (a Windows 95 release would allow for everything the PS version had and more) and lacking some of the original art and music that made the game great. By that logic, Silent Hill HD Collection should be considered somewhat decent as a rerelease, though, admittedly, that was a bit more screwed up than R1 for PC.

Also, the "great exclusive content" is really nothing more than an alternate map (which is really not better at all; just different) and a breakout game. Do those things really count as great content? I like Designer and the other spinoffs fine, but I don't consider those to be part of PC R1.
Hunchman801 wrote:Also, technology4617, please check your quotes before submitting your posts, they're always messed up and it makes it a pain to follow the discussion.
Most of those issues are caused by the omission of a

Code: Select all

[/quote]
which makes it a bit hard to know about. And considering I usually fix these issues within two minutes of me posting, I don't see how this is that big of an issue. :roll:
Slogbait wrote:The PSX version definitely handled the sound better, but otherwise it always seemed to me the PC version was far better despite only having played it once.
Then your memory is faulty. :P There is pretty much no silver lining to the PC version besides the alternate map.
Adsolution
Aline Louïa

Post by Adsolution »

technology4617 wrote:I would disagree, as a terrible porting job won't necessarily detract from the quality of the game all that much
Exactly! And in this case, given their limitations, they did a great job porting Rayman 1 to PC.
technology4617 wrote:And considering I usually fix these issues within two minutes of me posting, I don't see how this is that big of an issue. :roll:
You made the mistake on two different occasions in this discussion however, and you didn't fix them both times until someone told you.