The cancelled Rayman 2's art and cutscenes (Rayman's training)

For discussions about the Rayman series.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102745

Re: "Rayman's Training" / Rayman 2 E3 trailer's prerendered scenes

Post by PluMGMK »

Nice job! Pity there are so few clips.

What was the music you used in the intro btw?
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 610019

Post by Hunchman801 »

Great idea, it's nice to have everything compiled into one video. And yeah, that music has a serious mystery vibe to it. :mrgreen:
Nve
Chasseur
Tings: 1954

Post by Nve »

Well, these clips looked too different and neatly done to be considered solely as something made "as an extra". It's odd that the video didn't appear in any known consumer materials for Rayman 2. It seems that the short turned out to not fit with the new marketing tactics taken after the transition to 3D. Nonetheless, I think it will be found. Nice that more light has been shed on this.

As for the boxing bag, I always thought it was a TNT.
poberteii
Lums Bleu
Tings: 100

Post by poberteii »

Nve wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:43 pmIt's odd that the video didn't appear in any known consumer materials for Rayman 2.
What makes me more weirded out is that judging from the responses here, the Rayman fandom didn't even know it existed.
Let me repeat that. The Rayman community, a fandom known by many for having large projects, a entire encyclopedia that goes in-depth regarding the history of Rayman and his development, and those that hold arcane knowledge and are known to acquire obscurities (the 2002 Rayman 3 prototype and Rayman Garden for example), had absolutely no idea about this CGI short of Rayman 2 existing for two whole decades.

If that doesn't emphasize how worryingly close the short was to being lost to time entirely, I don't know what else could.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

poberteii wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:52 am If that doesn't emphasize how worryingly close the short was to being lost to time entirely, I don't know what else could.
I couldn't have said it any better. :mrgreen: And yet, there has to be someone out there that worked on this and still remembers, at least partly. We just have no idea who. :hap:
Squiz
Oiseau Rouge
Tings: 142

Post by Squiz »

Just found this on youtube.

poberteii
Lums Bleu

Post by poberteii »

Squiz wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:58 pm Just found this on youtube.

Holy shit, what a find. Not only is there more extended footage of Rayman in the portal, but there's even more footage of the Guards and the robot dinosaur. Considering they don't have much in animation, this is HUGE. I can't believe that bit by bit, we're still finding pieces of Rayman's Training after 23 years. Most importantly however, it appears we finally know who worked on Rayman's Training. We at least know that Michel Ancel and the original Rayman 2 were involved now. Now, I'm not calling on you guys to go nag on Michel for more info like a hivemind, but we at least have a starting point. Given that there's evidence that there's a full on short on our hands (or at the very least cutscenes), I'm inclined to believe that the PS1 FMV really was part of the CGI short in one way or another. We now have proof that they did many things with the 2D game's concepts and ideas in animation, rather than it just being Rayman and the punching bag.
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

Ah yes, it's a segment of the one posted earlier this week here: viewtopic.php?p=1431812#p1431812

Yeah, it's really cool to see those enemies in 3D. There must have been a significant stage in between the transition to 3D and the change to the characters and setting that we know and love!
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Unless I'm mistaken, stuff like the dinosaur footage is not part of Rayman's Training, but just like it, it was apparently made during the early development of Rayman 2, right?
poberteii
Lums Bleu

Post by poberteii »

Hunchman801 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:01 pm Unless I'm mistaken, stuff like the dinosaur footage is not part of Rayman's Training, but just like it, it was apparently made during the early development of Rayman 2, right?
...Okay, I've been sitting on this gut feeling for a while, but I feel like Rayman's Training isn't actually a short film. It's actually a cutscene from Rayman 2 2D, only extended and finished. We were driving up to something bigger, we didn't know we were finding new pieces of 2D Rayman 2 ITSELF. It's barely about the """short film""" now, it's about preserving what's left of Rayman 2 2D with modern tools.
We were on the right direction. But we were just on the wrong damn lane.
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

Hang on, if it wasn't a short film, why have that imagery of Rayman transforming from 2D to 3D?
poberteii
Lums Bleu

Post by poberteii »

PluMGMK wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:24 am Hang on, if it wasn't a short film, why have that imagery of Rayman transforming from 2D to 3D?
From the recently-released news report on Rayman 2 2D, it appears that clip was actually supposed to go along with the scene of a virtual Rayman gliding across the sky with a logo, while Rayman is playing his own game (apparently). The "short film" probably is something like Abe's Exoddus: The Movie.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Well, a cutscene is almost a short film, right? :lol:
Eeeebray
Le Capitaine
Tings: 9120

Post by Eeeebray »

For me, it looks like a tech demo. I believe, that the few clips were some kind of experiment, to see and show how Rayman turns from 2D to 3D (this would explain how Rayman is first 2D and goes into the portal, transforming into 3D) but I could be completely wrong :D
poberteii
Lums Bleu

Post by poberteii »

Recently, YouTube user Arnold Franklin has pointed out something interesting: while the concept art and renders of the Hunter has marks on its chest, the actual animation of the Hunter has these two rings on its shoulders.

As far as I know, the animated segments are the ONLY pieces of Rayman 2 media that have these rings on them.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

The quality is making it hard to discern the rings in question, but it's interesting nonetheless that the models are different. Newer version, maybe?
Mace121
Lums
Tings: 30

Post by Mace121 »

Been digging around and the Imagina Film festival was held in March 4-6, 1998. However, the short was in February 1st. BUT even though the DVDs of their collections existed, but the short wasn't in there, according to LMW. Yeah, it's unfortunate.
hoodlumsworld
Aurora
Tings: 15205

Post by hoodlumsworld »

Does this support the early gameplay theory then?
arnoldfranklin
Carnivora
Tings: 12665

Post by arnoldfranklin »

I was looking at Rayman's Facebook and I came across something. They asked what you thought a concept art picture was for. The highlighted comment or whatever said Rayman 2 as what someone guessed
The weird thing is that the picture had something from Rayman's Training
https://www.facebook.com/rayman.usa/pho ... 780188476/
Edit even after he replied: I guess the photo might have been shared already by MasterHero. Sorry. https://raymanpc.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 1#p1430461
Last edited by arnoldfranklin on Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I am the greatest hero of all time. I get three Globox stamps." ~ Globox himself
poberteii
Lums Bleu

Post by poberteii »

Oh yeah, that definitely is one of the Rayman's Training scenes! I find it interesting that they drafted the scene as a concept art piece, and then subsequently turned it into the cutscene-later-short. I don't want to heavily piss up that speculation rope, but I have a feeling that there's a lot more from the 2D-to-3D transition that hasn't been shared. The way they phrased it seems to imply whoever ran the Ubisoft account has some knowledge of the 2D Rayman 2 phase...