Rayman 3 PC - Sound crackling

For discussions about the Rayman series.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Mr. Cat
Lums
Tings: 30

Rayman 3 PC - Sound crackling

Post by Mr. Cat »

I googled the issue and couldn't find any information about the issue, hence this post.

I'm running Rayman 3 PC - the GOG version - with the following (graphical) mods:

- D3D8to9 > Vulkan
- Better Rayman 3
- Rayman 3 HD for PC v2.1

My issue is related to sound.

Very often I experience the sound crackling on certain sounds or parts of the music that's being played.

I couldn't find this issue described on PCGamingWiki either, so I'm wondering if this community has experienced this issue and if anyone's been able to resolve it?

For reference my specs are as follows:

Ryzen 3600 CPU
Nvidia GTX 1080 GPU
RME ADI 2 DAC

Also note that the same thing doesn't happen when the game is played on the Dolphin emulator for the GameCube version.
TTK
Poilu
Tings: 2035

Re: Rayman 3 PC - Sound crackling

Post by TTK »

Maybe you need to reinstall? This has never happened to my copy of GOG Rayman 3. Maybe each copy has it's own bugs.
Mr. Cat
Lums

Post by Mr. Cat »

These are my results so far:

I've tried with DSOAL, ALchemy and IndirectSound as wrappers.

DSOAL will make the game crash on bootup.

ALchemy and IndirectSound work as intended, however, none of them resolve the issue; they seemingly don't make any discernible difference.

Same thing with bit depth and sample rates; 16-32 bit and 44.1-48 kHz; no difference.

The pops and crackles seem to be consistent as in the same parts of a melody or an instrument or a sound effect - whatever part of the sound that results in popping or crackling, it seems to always be on the same parts every single time.

I've reinstalled the game and tried playing without any modifications whatsoever.

Still it always pops at the exact same parts.

The most noticeable is at the beginning of the game right before the boarding sequence; at the heart of the world with the teensies throwing Globox up and down with André inside of him.

The disco music pops and crackles constantly.

With all of that said, I really appreciate your suggestions and I'll gladly try other stuff if you think of anything.
deton24
Garatta Ciatik
Tings: 8652

Post by deton24 »

Can you try to change your soundcard to onboard HD Audio instead of your DAC?
It might be a culprit.

If it really is, you can try to perform a DAC firmware update. But please verify the exact model I linked:
https://www.rme-audio.de/adi-2-dac.html

(and whether your warranty is not void yet, since flashing is considered to be potentially destructive if there's no dual ROM - your DAC is pretty pricey)

Additionally try to fiddle with these options:
https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/attach ... png.47295/
or similarly looking (just click disable enhancements if it's there)
and check out these two as well:
https://manual.audacityteam.org/m/image ... ercent.png
(but in your DAC in "playback", not in a microphone of course)
Mr. Cat
Lums

Post by Mr. Cat »

The issue isn't present for anything else but this game and all of the options are configured already.

I did remove the driver to have 32 bit depth and automatic sample rate switching when playing with WASAPI, but in the previous test I had to reinstall the driver to be able to test with 16 and 24 bit depth as well, so the driver is ruled out as well.

Everything is pointing to something in the mix or sound files being off.

I remember the quake soundtrack having a similar problem where it's pre-emphasized because it was played from a CD originally, and it was confirmed when making a spectral analysis.

Don't get me wrong, your advice is sound and I recognize that you're knowledgeable.
deton24
Garatta Ciatik
Tings: 8652

Post by deton24 »

The issue isn't present for anything else
You mean that the issue is present only on your DAC, right?

Some last things:
- check various channels settings if available (2.0, 4.0, 5.1, headphones, ...).
- run the game in one of the compatibility modes (e.g. XP SP3 and below)

Previously I didn't mean drivers, but firmware. These are two separate things. There are no drivers posted in previous link:
https://www.rme-audio.de/adi-2-dac.html
But it's nice that you ruled out various device drivers.
Probably it's a dead end, but you can try to write to official support on rme-audio.de about the issue.

If everything fails, you can test out a workaround with installing VoiceMeter Banana and redirecting the sound from virtual soundcard to your DAC (on example of FH4 and Creative problematic card):

"Basically I just set FH4's output to banana's Aux Output in Settings > System > Sounds > App volume and device preferences (on the bottom), and in Banana set the Aux to route the audio back to the creative SB X-fi (A1 under AUX in on, and A1 device is set to MME X-Fi Speakers)"

Just don't forget to make restore point before installing the VM. Just in case.

You can always play emulated version of the game in Dolphin (Gamecube version). Pick your poison.

@down You're welcome!
Last edited by deton24 on Thu May 06, 2021 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Cat
Lums

Post by Mr. Cat »

Absolutely, appreciate it deton, cheers.