Rayman Legends

Talk about Rayman himself and Rayman games!

Moderator: English moderators

Which version is your favourite?

Wii U
36%
PlayStation 3
11%
Xbox 360
5%
PlayStation Vita
3%
PC
25%
PlayStation 4
13%
Xbox One
2%
Switch
4%

Total votes: 135

Haruka
Rayman 2
Tings: 178780

Re: Rayman Legends

Post by Haruka »

@Spiral Yeah, I kinda prefered they didn't make the Magician as a Teensie either. It was already a disappointment back in RO when we saw the redesign...

@Raven Rayman isn't the only limbless character in the Glade. Look to the Electoons.

Adsolution
Dora Dodemer
Tings: 5007

Post by Adsolution »

Rayfanboy wrote:Wasn't it said somewhere that the Ubiart engine is able to render two-dimensional drawings into three-dimensional polygonal models? If that is true, perhaps it results in low-poloygon counts.
That doesn't make any sense at all.

GNineify
Space Mama
Tings: 38675

Post by GNineify »

Holy shit! I can make my 2D artwork into a perfect 3D model without doing anything myself? Totally possible, dudes!
"uckfay isthay itshay iyay'may outyay" - ales mansay probably
YOU'VE FOUND THE ULTRA AMAZING EASTER EGG THAT DOES ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO MAKE YOUR LIFE BETTER!

Squiz
Œil Rebondissant
Tings: 37

Post by Squiz »

Somes bosses will be in 3D in the game, but not all of them.

Look for example at Lucha, or the big dragon in Challenge Mode announcement video, they are in 2D.

Disionity
Premier Grand Mini
Tings: 2700

Post by Disionity »

Forget it, I thought I read that the Ubiart engine could do something like that, and it sounds completely illogical, but I was confused about something that Michel Ancel said about the engine in an interview for RO, he was rambling on about 2D drawings and 3D presentation. I apologize. Yet another blunder is added to my RPC activity.

sergiomonty
Antitoon
Tings: 0

Post by sergiomonty »

spiraldoor wrote: I liked the Magician better when he looked like this.
It's not a big deal. You can still recognize him as the Magician. The change is still not as drastic as Dante.

This must be a guilty pleasure, but I prefer the new Magician a lot. There's something in the original design that I just feels half-assed to me, but I can't put my finger on it.
spiraldoor wrote:Except they didn't establish Rayman as the only limbless being at all.
They did. Analizing all of the costumes in Rayman Legends, all of them are basically Rayman dressed as someone else. And there's no proof of the existence of that female limbless girl more than those ridiculous drawings depicting Rayman as a bald guy.

If I'm wrong, well, they turned the Magician into a Teensy just to fuck up your childhood :wink:
Rulez wrote: I did. The one in the trailer is an organic being, and this one is a robot.
It's because it's not him... it's a mechanical version of him, you silly. I think that's the point that Illegal is trying to make. Also, who the fuck wanted the Dragon to be the main villain? After seing so many of those plump dragons and ssssam-shaped dragons being controlled by lividstones and toads, I did expect the red dragon to be a minion too. I'm not digging into the idea of an irrational being turning as the main villain... Big Mama was such an awkward boss...

Illegal wrote: Nevertheless,I can't believe that just one little Teensie built a factory again(but now under the sea) and tamed this big dangerous beast. HOW? :mryellow: And it's also interesting how he had survived in RO.
You make such a pathetic villain like the Magician sound like an evil, unstoppable and badass mastermind. I truly expect Ubisoft to focus on making him an amazing villain this time. Something went really wrong by the end of Origins.

I still respect the idea of the Magician as a villain. It's a good concept that just needs to be more polished and less ridiculized.
That guy has a badoo account too. :lol: -Harpic fraîcheur

Sergaymonty~

Earth Gwee
Rayman 3
Tings: 214170

Post by Earth Gwee »

I have to say, I agree with a lot of what you said, Sergio. I may not have played Rayman 1 yet *shot*, but looking between the old and new designs, I find myself very much liking the new Magician. He was the first one I was introduced to, and the idea of him being a defunct Teensie is really appealing to me. It is hard to see him as a big, serious mastermind, but I can easily see him as a kind of campy, traditional, over-the-top villain that's fun to watch, even if he screws up here and there. I also like the idea of him being a fan of Mr. Dark. It's a good way to tie the old to the new. Yes, something during development went wrong and that's why the Magician in RO comes off as a weak villain, which is a real shame. I am hoping that with the extra time, they'll be able to make him into a stronger, if not more fun, villain.

Also, I deny that Rayman was ever bald and had a friggin wife. That whole thing just raises way too many questions to me. Pardon me if I rant, but why? First off, where did his wife come from? I highly doubt the nymphs would knowingly make the same mistake twice when they lost some Lums on the way to create Rayman. And I also highly doubt Rayman himself would be that desperate for a significant other. He'd never tie himself down like that. And also, parasitic hair? It makes even less sense than him already having the innate ability to hover with his hair. It was a backstory that didn't need to exist and I'm glad was never established as canon outside the PS Vita. Whew! Okay, sorry about that. Rant over.

sergiomonty
Antitoon

Post by sergiomonty »

Earth Gwee wrote:over-the-top villain that's fun to watch
I think that's exactly the type of villain that the Magician is intended to be. He's a comedic villain, not someone that is supposed to look imposing or dark, but a guy who has considerable amounts of power and at the same time isn't supposed to be taken seriously.

I think that's the type of villain that fits okay in a Rayman game. I mean, Razorbeard was like that... sort of, maybe with less slapstick and a little more evil.

Sergaymonty~

Earth Gwee
Rayman 3

Post by Earth Gwee »

Very true.

I still have yet to play Rayman 2, sadly. I've been forgetting to start playing it. :(

Haruka
Rayman 2

Post by Haruka »

Earth Gwee wrote:I have to say, I agree with a lot of what you said, Sergio. I may not have played Rayman 1 yet *shot*, but looking between the old and new designs, I find myself very much liking the new Magician. He was the first one I was introduced to, and the idea of him being a defunct Teensie is really appealing to me. It is hard to see him as a big, serious mastermind, but I can easily see him as a kind of campy, traditional, over-the-top villain that's fun to watch, even if he screws up here and there. I also like the idea of him being a fan of Mr. Dark. It's a good way to tie the old to the new. Yes, something during development went wrong and that's why the Magician in RO comes off as a weak villain, which is a real shame. I am hoping that with the extra time, they'll be able to make him into a stronger, if not more fun, villain.
It only confuses me if this RO/RL magician is really suppoused to be the R1 guy, or simply a totally different character. However, the overall character redesign (Mr. Dark was intended to be a Teensie, and both Mr. Dark and Magician are believed to be from the same species as Rayman) and the hat with a star seem to really intend that they're both the same Magician character, even if there aren't clear evidences. I don't mind a clumsy villain, but it also disappoints me to not see other fierce new (or old) villain. It is still hard for me to "mentalize" that the cheerful Magician from R1 that introduced to many of us in this community the beauty of the Glade of Dreams and its Valley, following you to give precious Life Statues in trade of Tings and a challenge conclusion, is actually a traitor, a Mr. Dark fan that managed to hide his admiration from us for 16 years. It is mostly hard for people that grew with R1, that's why I'm still trying to get used to the thing.
Also, I deny that Rayman was ever bald and had a friggin wife. That whole thing just raises way too many questions to me. Pardon me if I rant, but why? First off, where did his wife come from? I highly doubt the nymphs would knowingly make the same mistake twice when they lost some Lums on the way to create Rayman. And I also highly doubt Rayman himself would be that desperate for a significant other. He'd never tie himself down like that. And also, parasitic hair? It makes even less sense than him already having the innate ability to hover with his hair. It was a backstory that didn't need to exist and I'm glad was never established as canon outside the PS Vita. Whew! Okay, sorry about that. Rant over.
Since that mosaic was revealed in the PlayStation Vita version, it intrigued me. Yes, it is true that Rayman's hair could be pulled off from his head in Rayman 1, but that was in Rayman 1. From Rayman 2 on, the hair is clearly inseperable from his hair. And also knowing that RO isn't a prequel, it is even less likely to be removable. Now the wife... I don't know. I honestly don't consider the picture as canon, since it is simply an unlockable picture that is only viewable to PSVita players and not anyone else. I also have difficulties to take Globox's mosaic as a canon, although the pictures also appear in RO's Artbook and the RL description of Red Globox seems to make it canon, because it is a paradox to something written in the Knowledge of the World from R2: Polokus dreamed up to create people, and one of the creations was Globox along with his family. By family, it means Uglette and all his 650 children, who are blue-coloured in the great majority. It is easy to see what theory I believe more. I don't think both mosaics should be taken seriously, especially knowing RO's kind of humour and the completely twisted script in the final game when comparing to the original ideas from the beginning of the project. Period.

Earth Gwee
Rayman 3

Post by Earth Gwee »

Well, I can certainly understand the design and character changes being a bit hard to get used to if you grew up with the first game. However, I still respect Ancel's desicions to change the character around. It makes for an interesting concept, that he's the one Teensie with evil intentions.

And, no, I certainly try not to take the whole mosaic stories to seriously, even if those questions still crop up in my brain and I have to still ask them. And while Globox's mosaic story isn't much better, I will say it makes slightly more sense than Rayman's. At least in context, because it's something Globox would do.

Haruka
Rayman 2

Post by Haruka »

I agree with both things.

I guess there's nothing to do concerning the Magician.

Raven_Guardian
Ptizêtre Vert
Tings: 1035

Post by Raven_Guardian »

It is still hard for me to "mentalize" that the cheerful Magician from R1 that introduced to many of us in this community the beauty of the Glade of Dreams and its Valley, following you to give precious Life Statues in trade of Tings and a challenge conclusion, is actually a traitor, a Mr. Dark fan that managed to hide his admiration from us for 16 years. It is mostly hard for people that grew with R1, that's why I'm still trying to get used to the thing.
This. I couldn't say it better.
For me it was just like if Toad or Yoshi was suddenly revealed to be Bowser's lackey. But I think the original script of had the Magician having a well intentioned goal like fighting against the nightmares of the Glade or something like this. I'm still wondering why they remove the plotline intended.

sergiomonty
Antitoon

Post by sergiomonty »

Haruka wrote: It only confuses me if this RO/RL magician is really suppoused to be the R1 guy, or simply a totally different character.
You don't need to be confused. I mean, he's refered to as the Magician in the manual, and the design is so similar there's no way it couldn't be the same character. The developers simply wanted to make Rayman unique, that's why Lividstones, Nymphs, Hunters, the Magician, the Photographer and Mr Dark aren't limbless anymore. The Stonemen might be an exception for aesthetic reasons, their limbless bodies work well, without having to much resemblance to Rayman's species. Also... if they had limbs, we could barely recognize them, and just think that they're regular golems. Lividstones are easy to recognize because they're green, have a moustache and explorer clothes, the Stonemen just have a plant on top of their head (not to say that the plant looks completely different in Origins). I remember having an awful time trying to recognize the Hunter... he looks just too much like Clayton from Tarzan... but indeed, that's him.
Haruka wrote:I don't mind a clumsy villain, but it also disappoints me to not see other fierce new (or old) villain.
Who knows, mmmmaybe we'll get a surprise... but just maybe.
Haruka wrote:It is still hard for me to "mentalize" that the cheerful Magician from R1 that introduced to many of us in this community the beauty of the Glade of Dreams and its Valley, following you to give precious Life Statues in trade of Tings and a challenge conclusion, is actually a traitor, a Mr. Dark fan that managed to hide his admiration from us for 16 years. It is mostly hard for people that grew with R1, that's why I'm still trying to get used to the thing.
That's what I thought, it must be really hard to see a fan favorite becoming an evil villain, especially if you played the game at an early age. Talk about a plot twist.
Haruka wrote:Since that mosaic was revealed in the PlayStation Vita version, it intrigued me. Yes, it is true that Rayman's hair could be pulled off from his head in Rayman 1, but that was in Rayman 1. From Rayman 2 on, the hair is clearly inseperable from his hair. And also knowing that RO isn't a prequel, it is even less likely to be removable.
OH SNAP, THAT'S A GOOD POINT.

Also, can someone please, any admin, put this logo in the homepage?

I know the logo that is currently there was taken from the video, and it's not even the actual logo but an early version of it, so please make some proper updates to the website. You admins haven't even posted the most recent trailers of Rayman Legends.

Sergaymonty~

TeensieKing
Pâquerette
Tings: 12809

Post by TeensieKing »

Master4lyf1 wrote:
Thank you so much for the trailer.

It look SO incredibly much better than Rayman Origins. It looks much more serious. For God's love, Rayman is a fucking spy! I love that level, it looks very R2-ish. But ew, why is the Magician still wearing a Mr. Dark costume? We already know it's just you! Plus his hair looks like a mop!

Robotic Teensie
Pizzicatta
Tings: 3130

Post by Robotic Teensie »

sergiomonty wrote:please make some proper updates to the website
Speaking of updates... it would be nice if this tooltip were fixed.

sergiomonty
Antitoon

Post by sergiomonty »

TeensieKing wrote:
Master4lyf1 wrote:
Thank you so much for the trailer.

It look SO incredibly much better than Rayman Origins. It looks much more serious. For God's love, Rayman is a fucking spy! I love that level, it looks very R2-ish. But ew, why is the Magician still wearing a Mr. Dark costume? We already know it's just you! Plus his hair looks like a mop!
Actually he's dressing as The Magician, he still has that star on his top hat. He never dressed as Mr Dark, in fact. He just wanted to be like him.

Sergaymonty~

Raven_Guardian
Ptizêtre Vert
Tings: 1035

Post by Raven_Guardian »

Earth Gwee wrote:I may not have played Rayman 1 yet *shot*
Earth Gwee wrote:I still have yet to play Rayman 2
Tell me you did at least one Rayman game.

sergiomonty
Antitoon

Post by sergiomonty »

Despite the fact that Earth Gwee doesn't know too much about Rayman in general, I appreciate the fact that this let's her be less nostalgic and more objective. I love all of the Rayman games (except for almost every Rabbids game), but sometimes I think some things were changed for good.

That includes the Bubble Dreamer's design for me. I don't know... I just...prefer this Polokus, he looks like a god, while the original looked creepy, weird and awkwardly modeled. Just my opinion.

Sergaymonty~

Shrooblord
Froutch
Tings: 64535

Post by Shrooblord »

sergiomonty wrote:I just...prefer this Polokus, he looks like a god, while the original looked awkwardly modeled.
Keep in mind he appeared in a game from 1999. ;)
Play Rayman Arena (PC) online with friends~!
Dart wrote:Sometimes life just comes out of nowhere and demands a lot of your attention.