Games you consider overrated

Talk about everything but Rayman!

Moderator: English moderators

Rayfist
Rayman 2
Tings: 176605

Re: Games you consider overrated

Post by Rayfist »

It's a shortsighted opinion imo. I'm all for opinions and critique but that feels more like a "I hate Rayman 2 because it's popular around here."

Nobody ever said Rayman 2 had a dark story, hell I wouldn't call it deep either, it's just really simple and good. The game does have a dark tone, but it works so seemingly well imo. The atmosphere is just really nice combined with awesome music and solid platforming. You can argue the game was a tad linear with it's progression but man the levels are always fun to replay and explore (I still love Iron Mountains definitely one of my favorite levels.)

Anyways games I think are overrated, Shenmue.

I bought maybe a few months ago, Shenmue for the Dreamcast. While I do REALLY love the game's art style, it's a huge clusterfuck of a game and I don't understand why it gets endless praise. It's a game that attempted SO much different gameplay styles and inherited it into one. I feel like the game doesn't know what it wants to be, a lot of the scenes are quick time events, there are brawling segments where it's all of a sudden a fighting game, and there's RPG elements in there, and a lot of talking/exploration. A good chunk of the game is spent talking to other people.... that's it. I do admire the game for it's art style and beautiful looking areas, for Dreamcast standards I'm quite impressed, but the gameplay itself is very monotonous. It's still a fun game and I plan to beat it, but it's a whole clusterfuck of different genres and it's really overwhelming. Not to mention this isn't the type of game you're able to play and take breaks, you'll have to beat it in one run to understand the story. Oh and the voice acting... just listen...

I feel it's still a very respectable franchise but you hear people complaining they want a Shenmue 3... with gameplay this confusing and overwhelming, I can kind of see why Shenmue 3 isn't happening.

Another interesting one, Zelda: Skyward Sword.

I played the game up until the second dungeon and quit. Honestly the gimmicks are too much. I remember when Skyward Sword first came out. Friends were telling me it is by far, the BEST 3D Zelda yet. When I got the game later a year after it's release with the hype dying out, I was so disappointed and VERY bored. While the villages themselves are REALLY colorful and beautifully made the game itself is by far the most gimmicky and linear Zelda yet. I don't understand why they had to make a game dedicated to wii Motion plus with Zelda. It really ruins the great atmosphere that the game does deliver, when I play a Zelda game I want to unwind and relax, not have to stand up and swing the wii mote in a circle, it really ruins the whole "comfy" feeling of Zelda for me. I think Twilight Princess did its motion controls correctly, it isn't too demanding, just a quick flick of the wii mote makes you swing... the way it should be. Skyward Sword REALLY has potential to be a good game but it's so clustered with gimmicks that I don't want to finish the game. I'll come back to it one day but it was really disappointing for me, it immediately made me want to go back to Twilight Princess or Windwaker. I hope Zelda U doesn't end up being a huge gimmick fest. A good chunk of the new characters introduced (with the exception of Ghirarim and Groose) are quite unmemorable, Fi especially.

I'll go as far as to saying, Zelda Twilight Princess is ridiculously underrated. Remember when the game first got announced? Fans were crazy, they were insanely hyped for a "true" 3D Zelda, and it came out... and then?... People forgot about it completely. It's usually regarded as the worst 3D Zelda too and I couldn't believe it. I was watching Peanutbuttergamers top 10 Zelda games and saw Twilight Princess ranked extremely low, this disappointed the hell out of me. I feel like the Zelda fanbase doesn't know what they want anymore, Twilight Princess was such a masterpiece for a Gamecube/Wii game the graphics are on par with 360/PS3. To see Twilight Princess regarded as the worst Zelda saddens me.
Steam PSN Youtube
Follow me on Twitter
Imco wrote:+ I just beat the hell out of my sister. That was great :D

Isen Degard
Tribelle
Tings: 55

Post by Isen Degard »

Rayfist, I'm not too sure if Skyward Sword is actually all that overrated. I've heard a lot of people criticise it for being just as you said a gimmick fest or that they felt Skyloft felt empty and that the feeling of exploration that most Zelda games have is reduced. I personally enjoyed the game for many of its mechanics and the plot was really engaging. I really don't see it as being overrated though. My feelings for Twilight Princess are pretty much the same as yours, a lot of people don't give it enough attention or praise.

Rayfist
Rayman 2

Post by Rayfist »

No, Skyward Sword was met with endless praise when it first released. Only now are Zelda fans finally realizing it isn't good.
Steam PSN Youtube
Follow me on Twitter

Bradandez
Globox
Tings: 137530

Post by Bradandez »

Adsolution wrote:
Bradandez wrote:- Very boring music
Eat a cunt, stupid ADHD wetback.
Oh blow me. Rayman 2 has the same sounding songs over and over. You can say that it's supposed to "atmospherical", but listening to it bores the fuck out of me. I can list like two songs that are actually good; which are "Riding the Shell" and "The Canopy".
Adsolution wrote:No one's saying that about the story, it's the atmosphere, and that includes the music. Your eyes simply haven't evolved to see through anything thicker than air. :sad:
Oh my bad. Atmosphere is pretty dark. Cuz it takes place at night!
Rayfist wrote:It's a shortsighted opinion imo. I'm all for opinions and critique but that feels more like a "I hate Rayman 2 because it's popular around here."

Nobody ever said Rayman 2 had a dark story, hell I wouldn't call it deep either, it's just really simple and good. The game does have a dark tone, but it works so seemingly well imo. The atmosphere is just really nice combined with awesome music and solid platforming. You can argue the game was a tad linear with it's progression but man the levels are always fun to replay and explore (I still love Iron Mountains definitely one of my favorite levels.)
Oh fuck you! It's very overrated in other places besides here. Every Rayman video I go to, guess what I see!

"RAYMAN 2 IS WAY BETTER"
"RAYMAN 2 WAS THE BEST IN THE SERIES"
"THIS ISN'T LIKE RAYMAN 2"
"THEY SHOULD STOP THIS AND MAKE SOMETHING LIKE RAYMAN 2"

So I can rightfully say that Rayman 2 is overrated. And what I'm getting is that the story is what shines most to you guys. And even that I wouldn't go as far as saying it was good. Maybe okay, but nothing to show about. It never got me reeled in, nor did many of the characters have much character to them (ex: Clark, Sssam). The music is anything but awesome, like I stated above. Rayman 1, Rayman Origins, and Rayman Legends have range in their soundtracks because they have various genres put into them. Rayman 3 has a very catchy, hip-hop vibe to its and works very well with the design of the game. The platform is solid and the controls are nice, so I give credit where credit is due. The game is very easy and does hand hold you. Seriously, you have a pretty big health bar and enemies give you health back after defeat. Also, there's no punishment on dying. No lives, no game overs, and hell most of the time you respawn at the last checkpoint, so you don't even have to start from the beginning of the level! In my eyes, Rayman 2 is an okay game. The other games in the series do a much better job on the various pin points I gave criticism here.

Rayfist
Rayman 2

Post by Rayfist »

So because it's popular among Rayman fans it's overrated? That doesn't make it overrated you clown, what makes a game overrated is when you have literally everyone even non-fans of that series calling it a masterpiece, Mario 64 for example. From what I'm seeing you dislike the fact Rayman 2 is regarded the best from most fans for good reason, it's legitimately shortsighted, look at Mario's figure, it's legitimately horrible, all polygons mashed with cracks everywhere, look at Rayman, you can tell what's going on, what he IS. (You even lied on a facebook post saying you were a fan ever since Great Escape.) Also I love how the first thing you write in your post is "every video I see", so what? You think it's overrated because of what others say? Christ. You're basing your opinion off what other fans on the forums and other Rayman fans say, not what an average gamer from that era would sy.

The story isn't the best part, it's an excellent addition, but not the best part, what shines is the really smooth platforming and level variety along with it's action packed moments. As far as 3D platformers go, it's held up well. Rayman 2 was in a generation of really odd looking polygon and abnormal shapes, pit against Mario 64 and Zelda OoT, the models look legitimately weird.
Bradandez wrote:story is what shines most to you guys.
You guys? So why do you care what we think is the best? If you're logic is just "What you guys think, what you guys say" then nobody will take it seriously.
Bradandez wrote:nor did many of the characters have much character to them (ex: Clark, Sssam)
What the fuck. While Sssams appeareance was only brief but how the fuck was he not filled with character? He had a rather odd personality and was a bit mysterious who admired Rayman (shamefully was killed as shown in Rayman 3), Clark was a brave and heroic guy who was willing to help Rayman in his journey. He's not smart, but he has the brawns and he's a really nice guy. How the fuck are those bland? What the fuck?
Bradandez wrote:The music is anything but awesome, like I stated above.
This is entirely subjective, I disagree, especially the music that played during levels where you're chased by ships, it's rather pressuring, but I like it.
Bradandez wrote:Also, there's no punishment on dying. No lives, no game overs
I'll give you that, but difficulty has nothing to do with how a game's aged. It's just, easy.
Bradandez wrote:In my eyes, Rayman 2 is an okay game. The other games in the series do a much better job on the various pin points I gave criticism here.
And that's fine, but a lot of your criticism derives from "I always hear people say this", nobody really cares what other people say in this case. R2 isn't even my favorite of the bunch but it's legitimately easy to see why it's so endlessly praised. Compare it to other platformers of that era and it holds up considerably well. Hell, R2 hardly gets much recognition outside of this forums, I hear WAY more people praise other 3D platformers like Mario and Banjo. Rayman 2 is kind of just there in the corner.
Steam PSN Youtube
Follow me on Twitter

Itooh
Tarayzan
Location: Perdu, quelque part dans le Grand Raccourci... >< Help !
Tings: 41812

Post by Itooh »

Keane > Indeed, PT is definitely a better horror game than FNAF! It really contains a lot of atmosphere and ideas in not even an hour. And even the jump scares are cleverly used (they have some build up, it's not random jumpscares, and they add something to the global mood instead of breaking the rhythm).
Though it might be too much for me yet: I haven't been able to watch one single playthrough entirely. :lol:

(and… oh my, we released the Zelda argument!)
I must say, Skyward Sword is one of the worst game I have experienced. Not really because it has nothing I expect from a Zelda: even before playing, I knew its flaws, I was mostly prepared to get something that wouldn't be about exploration or puzzles… What surprised me, though, is that it contains everything that I can hate in a game. Linearity, non-stop helping, intrusives instructions, gimmicks, explanations, dialogue and story driven by games mechanics (“If you brings me FOUR BISCUITS, I will open you the door”), enclosed level-design, traced paths, visual indications, functional characters only (except Goose <3), classic Zelda puzzles and structure, repetitions, etc… And it almost gets worse and worse as the game goes on…

I won't get into details, because I know it could be very long. And I know there are also some valid qualities that make this game excellent for some. It may not be THAT bad, it's just that it strikes exactly everywhere it could frustrates me. :lol: Zelda Skyward Sword is now my measurement reference for bad game-design.
As I like to say: it's a good Zelda, but a terrible game. :P
Your eyes are not ready for this, and your brain not prepared for that.
You should probably instead play some of these, or watch some of those.
*drops the mic* (just kidding, mics are expensive)

Rayfist
Rayman 2

Post by Rayfist »

Yep, precisely why I didn't like Skyward Sword. The game was literally one big gimmick/advertisement for Wii motion plus, it wasn't comfy, it was annoying. Luckily in the graphical department it's at least very nice for a Wii U game, traveling from one place to another with your Loftwing using the motion plus was one of the WORST experiences especially, I legitimately hated it. I remember PBG listing Skyward Sword as the "Second best Zelda game" and I nearly lost it. Just, no.
Steam PSN Youtube
Follow me on Twitter

CHRdutch
Bzzit
Tings: 23280

Post by CHRdutch »

Thebananacrafter! wrote:FNAF
Theres going to be a fourth game and a movie
YouTube:https://www.youtube.com/user/CHRdutch
Ambidextroid wrote:< was in such a rush < had no time for breakfast, so < took a fistful of corn flakes and stuffed them in <'s mouth, then poured milk over the top. It worked but it drizzled milk all over <'s front...
Record Day 2015 madness

Itooh
Tarayzan
Location: Perdu, quelque part dans le Grand Raccourci... >< Help !
Tings: 41812

Post by Itooh »

Imagine The Shining, filmed only with poor quality surveillance cameras.
Sometimes there's a little girl appearing in a closeup to yell "THURSDAY" or "COME PLAY WITH US MOTHERF*CKER".
Your eyes are not ready for this, and your brain not prepared for that.
You should probably instead play some of these, or watch some of those.
*drops the mic* (just kidding, mics are expensive)

Isen Degard
Tribelle
Tings: 55

Post by Isen Degard »

I agree that Rayman 2 is a seriously underrated game when it comes to the controls compared to Mario 64, Banjo and DK 64. While they're all good games, from what I've played of games from that era, Rayman 2 just seems to have the tightest controls and a very good camera functionality. I've bought Donkey Kong 64 on the Wii U store recently and while I'm having fun with it, the controls just feel awkward and jesus christ the camera is the worst thing. You're constantly required to turn it because it never follows behind you. Simple platforming is also quite a pain for whatever reason. Even in Mario 64, the game is heavily focused on momentum for platforming, but sometimes you're not given adequate space to build it up. I don't know if I'm the only one, I might just be delusional but Rayman 2 felt like it did better than these games in this aspect. Jumping onto a platform ensured you stayed on it and you wouldn't slide around like Mario did.

CHRdutch
Bzzit

Post by CHRdutch »

Day 36 - I still don't now how they came to the idea to make a FNaF movie
Ambidextroid wrote:< was in such a rush < had no time for breakfast, so < took a fistful of corn flakes and stuffed them in <'s mouth, then poured milk over the top. It worked but it drizzled milk all over <'s front...
Record Day 2015 madness

GrandKittymus
Ptizêtre Vert
Tings: 1210

Post by GrandKittymus »

CHRdutch wrote:Day 36 - I still don't now how they came to the idea to make a FNaF movie
They're too lazy to actually think of a horror movie idea.

Welcome~. The Kitty is at your service today. The Teensies are currently not available to assist you so allow me to be your Substitute. What's that? A giant is looking to crush me? No~, of course that's not possible.

Eparcyl
Antitoon
Tings: 0

Post by Eparcyl »

XIII the game is overrated.

Why is not rated 10/10 is rated 8/10 it's awful.
ImageImage
HONK HONK: https://youtu.be/Z4OhbzSFpnk
Record Day ~ 2015: 267 posts, 20th/ 2016: 429 posts, 13th/ 2018: 450 posts, 8th

abhinav
Henchman 1000
Tings: 8067

Post by abhinav »

I find the concept of 'next gen' itself to be overrated. Especially when you can't afford it and see people showing off screenshots of next gen titles running on their systems on social sites like facebook. Also, how the modern generation of gaming audience tends to focus on mature games (not that it's a bad thing), whereas something that can be fun for the entire family being disregarded as childish or plain bad without even trying it.

So yeah, basically not a next-gen fan. More interested in older systems. :P
Current gaming platforms: PS2, Gamecube, Wii, Xbox 360, PSP, DS, GBA and PC

CHRdutch
Bzzit

Post by CHRdutch »

abhinav wrote:So yeah, basically not a next-gen fan. More interested in older systems. :P
Give me a high five! :D
Record Day 2015 madness

abhinav
Henchman 1000
Tings: 8067

Post by abhinav »

CHRdutch wrote:
abhinav wrote:So yeah, basically not a next-gen fan. More interested in older systems. :P
Give me a high five! :D
Oohhh yeaaah! *High five!*

My Gamecube owns anyone's PS4 / High End PC. :3
Rayfist wrote:Yep, precisely why I didn't like Skyward Sword. The game was literally one big gimmick/advertisement for Wii motion plus, it wasn't comfy, it was annoying. Luckily in the graphical department it's at least very nice for a Wii U game, traveling from one place to another with your Loftwing using the motion plus was one of the WORST experiences especially, I legitimately hated it. I remember PBG listing Skyward Sword as the "Second best Zelda game" and I nearly lost it. Just, no.
Aww, you don't like Skyward Sword. :( Understandable, since motion controls and motion plus were felt forced and you had to leave the Wiimote still if the game was left idle for a while. However, for me it was a very enjoyable experience as it was one of the first games I played on my Wii alongside Galaxy and Brawl. Sure, the unnecessary 'Prove you're a hero by doing this' types of quests were a bit irritating and the silent realm tried the patience of fans (me being one of them), but the game has its beautiful moments. I really enjoyed the combat (especially against Koloktos) and the musical moments; like the one where Fi sings the Ballad of the Goddess - beautiful! I'm not really that much of an open world fan so no complaints there...agree with PBG in a way. I have a little trouble aiming in Wii shooters but not the case with SS. Enjoyed it from start to finish and would love to play it again. I was lucky to find the bonus Symphony disc with my copy. :)

I'm probably in the minority here for loving Skyward Sword; it's just my opinion of course. However, I hope it's the last Zelda game to implement forced motion controls.

I also enjoy playing Twilight Princess on Wii. TP seems to be a much easier Zelda title to pick up and play motion controlwise. I've played the Gamecube version at my friend's place and on Dolphin, but sadly the GC version is expensive. I'll stick to the Wii version for now, thank you. Would love to add the GC version to my collection someday though, along with Twin Snakes.
Current gaming platforms: PS2, Gamecube, Wii, Xbox 360, PSP, DS, GBA and PC

Keane
Globox
Tings: 145022

Post by Keane »

I'm 85 shines into Sunshine, and honestly this game is starting to lose my attention now.

I fucking love Mario Sunshine, and it does a lot of things right, but all in all the actual goals feel a lot more underwhelming than I remembered them. Some Shines are ridiculously easy to get (Spray a hidden image, spray a bird, ground pound a block, etc), and others are just kinda lame ideas: Spray a creature, it comes out the ground and tries to attack you, ground pound it, repeat four more times. I also can't believe they make you beat a defenseless, not attacking enemy several times from the start.

And then there's the really awkward stuff: Walk with Yoshi to a carousel and get transported into a platforming level, or jump into an egg to be get transported to a flying sand bird...what? I guess it's fine because it's Mario, but it still feels a bit awkward and would have been nice if there was some rhyme or reason behind it.

All in all, I still think Sunshine is a very recommendable and solid platformer, but it really lacks the polish of big Mario titles. I get that they wanted to keep up the 120 stars from SM64, but it feels like the best ideas ran out after 75 and the rest is just repeated and simple ideas to get rid of them. I do like the blue coin system though.
Burgers float into my room...
[quote="Adsolution"]muse - showbiz (super mario sunshiner mario falling sound cover ending)[/quote]

Ambidextroid
Jano
Tings: 85640

Post by Ambidextroid »

God damn Fire Emblem what the fuck who cares give us some more Advance Wars already.
Whenever I ask a friend about Advance Wars, they have no idea what I'm on about. As soon as I mention how it's like FE, they go on about how awesome that game is... I don't care about the deep plot, I don't care about the characters and their unicorn taming skills, I don't want the weight on my chest that a character I like could die next game, I just want to enforce my strategic battleplan and blow some holes in some warships and megatanks and have some fun.
Maybe it's because I really just don't like RPGs, but FE is nothing compared to AW for me. They should just make a 3-DS Advance Wars, I've been waiting for a new title for years.

Pirez
Ly
Tings: 97945

Post by Pirez »

Hunch, since you prepared cookies during RD, give one to Ambi.

Sadly, I feel that the Advance Wars series has nothing more to offer aside from a new campaign and a few new general. I believe it peaked with Dual Strike (which, admittedly, is a fucking blast). Dark Conflict may have killed the series for good and I can see why, though it's not a bad game by any means.

Ambidextroid
Jano
Tings: 85640

Post by Ambidextroid »

Ah, I never liked Dark Conflict, the lively graphics of the older games made it more fun for <.
Still, I've played the hell out of all the AW games and I could do with another. I don't care what they add, I just wish there where more than the original 3. They managed to make a million FE titles, and that can't have just been new campaign I'm sure.
Still, I doubt they ever will make a new one, everyone's too hyped up on FE :(