Games you consider overrated

Talk about everything but Rayman!

Moderator: English moderators

Keane
Globox
Tings: 145022

Re: Games you consider overrated

Post by Keane »

Isn't Advance Wars finished/discontinued? I haven't heard about those games in years.
Burgers float into my room...
[quote="Adsolution"]muse - showbiz (super mario sunshiner mario falling sound cover ending)[/quote]

Bradandez
Globox
Tings: 137530

Post by Bradandez »

What the fuck is Advance Wars?

Ambidextroid
Jano
Tings: 85655

Post by Ambidextroid »

Advance Wars is a beast-ass fucking awesome strategy game on GBA with great music and visuals where you blow up battleships with your megatank that has 5 cannons attatched to the front and you blow up other tanks that have legs with your fleet of bomber planes and you blow the fuck out of some anti-air units with your hill-mounted RPG wielding infantry and you blow the shit out of that annoying stealth plane with your fighter. If you see what I mean...

I still have my copy actually, I might go play it now.

Bradandez
Globox

Post by Bradandez »

Oh, I didn't know they made a game based off of an assist trophy from Smash Bros. Kind of waste of resources, but hey I guess you can make a game about anything nowadays, huh?

Dart
Aglagl
Tings: 49835

Post by Dart »

[*]
Ambidextroid wrote:God damn Fire Emblem what the fuck who cares give us some more Advance Wars already.
Whenever I ask a friend about Advance Wars, they have no idea what I'm on about. As soon as I mention how it's like FE, they go on about how awesome that game is... I don't care about the deep plot, I don't care about the characters and their unicorn taming skills, I don't want the weight on my chest that a character I like could die next game, I just want to enforce my strategic battleplan and blow some holes in some warships and megatanks and have some fun.
Maybe it's because I really just don't like RPGs, but FE is nothing compared to AW for me. They should just make a 3-DS Advance Wars, I've been waiting for a new title for years.
It's quite the opposite for me, back when Advance Wars was a thing I never understood the hype, since the troops never felt like they had any legit value save for winning a chapter. That's when an older brother gave me Fire Emblem 7 (back in '08 I think). All the characters (and the plot) felt like they had value, and it became a game in itself to keep the characters from dying. It could also be that I prefer the high fantasy style of F.E. to A.W.'s cartoony war style of things.
If they ever want to continue Advance Wars, I think a ton would need to change because I don't think it's as earth-shattering as diehard fans believe it to be.

Keane
Globox
Tings: 145022

Post by Keane »

FE is a becoming a bit confusing to me. I kinda agree with ^, but from what I've seen of current FE most of the hype surrounds...marrying. With where the franchise is heading in terms of characters/story, I'd rather see a cool adventure game or JRPG starring the cast.
Burgers float into my room...
[quote="Adsolution"]muse - showbiz (super mario sunshiner mario falling sound cover ending)[/quote]

Dart
Aglagl
Tings: 49835

Post by Dart »

Keane wrote:FE is a becoming a bit confusing to me. I kinda agree with ^, but from what I've seen of current FE most of the hype surrounds...marrying. With where the franchise is heading in terms of characters/story, I'd rather see a cool adventure game or JRPG starring the cast.
The series has changed a lot over time, for sure. Where 6-8 had people going insane for trying to use darkness for the good of mankind, 11-12 have... waifu simulators. I'm more than willing to put up with it though, so long as the series staples continue to hold up. Awakening was rather light-hearted, but fun. Dunno about Fates though, I'm not looking forward to waiting at a GameStop to maybe get the collectors edition.

Ambidextroid
Jano
Tings: 85655

Post by Ambidextroid »

Yeah, I guess it's down to preference. I personally love the cartoony war style and, as I said earlier, I'm really not a fan of RPGs which is what FE looks to me. AW with a ton of RPG mixed in. Just look at the marrying, it's so RPGish...
I just like the strategy, planning out where your troops go, how to position them, when to attack etc. without having to consider the fact that the people I'm controlling are never coming back if they die. When I played FE I never felt like I was playing a strategy game, I was always just using the same exact strategy: hanging back safely so as to avoid losing any units. I didn't find that fun at all. There's also constantly switching weapons to better ones and equipping different spellbooks or whatever, it felt too tedious where in AW you always knew the power of each unit and you could get on choosing whether they can attack unit A and still be safe from unit B and so on.
Bradandez wrote:Oh, I didn't know they made a game based off of an assist trophy from Smash Bros. Kind of waste of resources, but hey I guess you can make a game about anything nowadays, huh?
Stfu Brad

Pirez
Ly
Tings: 97945

Post by Pirez »

Hey, it's #BumpTopicsOnFriday (which will totally become a thing you guys)

Here's a game that I feel is completely overrated : Undertale.

(First of all, any game that is labelled "amazing enough to give to the Pope" will be overrated, but regardless of that)

Undertale is by no means bad, and it's soundtrack is absolutely stunning. In fact, it's the soundtrack that made me go through the whole game to check out the ultra-pacifist ending.

In my opinion, the story is not very compelling due to several design choices. Several characters are utterly forgettable [(Papyrus)], some are walking clichés [(Undyne, Alphys)], and some are really fucking annoying [(Alphys, and her shtick in hotland really pushed me to abandon the game at one point)]. I know it's played for laughs, but it's still annoying. And we're supposed to like these characters. Sans's allright, though, but overall, I think the characters aren't three-dimensionnal. [They never give you any reason to hate them, which kinda renders the whole story flat. Surely, a deep narrative would have given you more dilmena about whom to kill and whom to spare instead of the "everybody's awesome" actual feel of the game. And you know the game thinks it's deep and unconventionnal based on its final boss, but it's just not succeeding.]

There's a part during the [Mettaton] arc that's really, really suspiciously more than an hommage, but the most retarded of all is the final revelations at the end. I mean [EXP and LOVE are contrived acronymns for "you're a dick"?? That's the most retarded thing I've ever heard. Also, you're the reincarnation of Satan and Flowey is the reincarnation of Christ, because why the fuck not?]

So yeah, Undertale let me down big time. If you play it it's way, it's very barren in its gameplay and unconvincing in its story. It's not bad, sure, but it's barely good. It surely isn't as deep as it proclaims itself to be, and it's too linear for an RPG. To me, it's a 6/10 at best.
Last edited by Pirez on Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

incognito
Électoon
Tings: 0

Post by incognito »

"Good enough to give to the Pope"... I....have.... to..... arrrhhh it's too hard..... gotta....
Facepalm.
Okay feeling better now.
Another game I find overrated, Wolfenstein the new order, the atmosphere is damn awesome, the graphics are stunning, so are the maps, but.... It doesn't feel like Return To Castle Wolfenstein, Blazcowicz is turned into some kind of invincible gorilla, a Ramboesque character with the ability to dual wield heavy machineguns, or even shotguns, the game is just killing Nazis who barely represents a challenge until you're confronted to a giant mecha Nazi you will turn into bits with a mounted laser machinegun you will lift with no effort.
At some point of the game you are just stabbed in the heart with a 20 cm blade, you get up with ease and kill more Nazis with heavier guns. Even Duke Nukem isn't capable of this.

Pirez
Ly

Post by Pirez »

incognito wrote:"Good enough to give to the Pope"... I....have.... to..... arrrhhh it's too hard..... gotta....
Facepalm.
I'm kinda with you on this one, but still, this happened :

incognito
Électoon
Tings: 0

Post by incognito »

I'll watch it tonight and I'll come back to say :
- No.. this cannot be.... NOOOOOOO!!!!!

Master
Rayman Origins
Tings: 404000

Post by Master »

Oh yes, I remember that. Never watched the video, but I did see some of the reactions.

#BumpTopicsonFriday, don't like hashtagging things, but it sounds like a promising initiative.

Bradandez
Globox

Post by Bradandez »

I want MattPat eradicated from the Internet.

RibShark
Tribelle
Tings: 55

Post by RibShark »

Pirez wrote:Hey, it's #BumpTopicsOnFriday (which will totally become a thing you guys)

Here's a game that I feel is completely overrated : Undertale.

(First of all, any game that is labelled "amazing enough to give to the Pope" will be overrated, but regardless of that)

Undertale is by no means bad, and it's soundtrack is absolutely stunning. In fact, it's the soundtrack that made me go through the whole game to check out the ultra-pacifist ending.

In my opinion, the story is not very compelling due to several design choices. Several characters are utterly forgettable [(Papyrus)], some are walking clichés [(Undyne, Alphys)], and some are really fucking annoying [(Alphys, and her shtick in hotland really pushed me to abandon the game at one point)]. I know it's played for laughs, but it's still annoying. And we're supposed to like these characters. Sans's allright, though, but overall, I think the characters aren't three-dimensionnal. [They never give you any reason to hate them, which kinda renders the whole story flat. Surely, a deep narrative would have given you more dilmena about whom to kill and whom to spare instead of the "everybody's awesome" actual feel of the game. And you know the game thinks it's deep and unconventionnal based on its final boss, but it's just not succeeding.]

There's a part during the [Mettaton] arc that's really, really suspiciously more than an hommage, but the most retarded of all is the final revelations at the end. I mean [EXP and LOVE are contrived acronymns for "you're a dick"?? That's the most retarded thing I've ever heard. Also, you're the reincarnation of Satan and Flowey is the reincarnation of Christ, because why the fuck not?]

So yeah, Undertale let me down big time. If you play it it's way, it's very barren in its gameplay and unconvincing in its story. It's not bad, sure, but it's barely good. It surely isn't as deep as it proclaims itself to be, and it's too linear for an RPG. To me, it's a 6/10 at best.
I think the whole game relies on the player having a certain type of personality. Some people will get the game, others won't. I happen to have loved the game, and especially the story. Papyrus, for me, was one of the most memorable characters. Undyne helps set the tone of the area she lives in (Waterfall) very well, and also teaches the player how first impressions don't always give an accurate representation of a person. Alphys is quite annoying, yeah, and I do wish that Toby Fox added a "silent" option on your phone as he had originally planned. But, the phone calls are important when it comes to Alphys' character development, teaching us that she is very insecure while also making us aware that, despite how annoying she is, she is ultimately a friend who wants to help you (or at least appear to help you, as the player will find out later before the Mettaton fight). And there is always a reason or another to kill one of the characters: Toriel: for blocking your way, Papyrus: he wants to capture the player, Undyne: For repeatedly attempting to kill the player already, Mettaton: He is kind of a dick, and Asgore just wants to kill every child that falls down. You might think that these aren't good enough reasons, but remember, a lot of people who first play the game still believe it is just a standard RPG, where these would be good enough reasons to kill a character. The whole point of Undertale is to bring new light onto that viewpoint. From the sounds of your post, I will assume that you did a neutral run where you killed some characters, but not others. That is OK, but there is much more to the game when you do a Pacifist run. I'm not saying to go and do that, as you clearly didn't enjoy the game, but I want anyone reading this to know there is more to see.

Pirez
Ly

Post by Pirez »

RibShark wrote: From the sounds of your post, I will assume that you did a neutral run where you killed some characters, but not others. That is OK, but there is much more to the game when you do a Pacifist run. I'm not saying to go and do that, as you clearly didn't enjoy the game, but I want anyone reading this to know there is more to see.
Actually I spared everyone to get the ultra-pacifist ending because I friend told me there was no way I couldn't fuck it up during my first run (proved him wrong on that). I then checked a let's play of someone playing a genocide run.

I found it interesting that only Flowey and you are able to "manipulate timelines" in regards to their actual identities (even though I thought said identities made no sense and is kinda insulting in the case of the main character), but then in the genocide run it turns out that Sans can do it too. Kinda incoherent in its own right.
RibShark wrote:Some people will get the game, others won't. I happen to have loved the game, and especially the story.
I believe so too. Some of the tropes used in Undertale are very anime-like, so I get that it would annoy me very fast.

Master
Rayman Origins
Tings: 404000

Post by Master »

I think the problem with Undertale is that many folks effectively spoil the experience. I think it's more worthwhile if you do it yourself and discover the whole pacifism, rather than be recommended to do so by the masses. I did do a run of Undertale meself, and while I did find it enjoyable, I already knew the plot and how it worked because of how much of it I saw on YouTube.

Adsolution
Dora Dodemer
Tings: 5007

Post by Adsolution »

Adsolution wrote:The original Far Cry. I don't get why this game receives so much praise, nor do I get this game, period. I honestly think that it's one of the worst attempts at creating a first-person shooter I have ever witnessed. The story makes little sense, the voice acting is beyond cringe-worthy, the level order is a completely incoherent mess, and the AI and level design are fucking annoying. The large majority of 'cover' in this game are things either too small to be useful in more than one specific angle, or too thin, and the over-exaggerated bullet penetration renders it absolutely useless. Somehow, the AI can usually see you through walls as well.

In one particular occurrence in which I got stuck on one single checkpoint for two and a half hours, I simply had to make my way inside a large tent to collect a weapon to kill everyone. So I sneak into the tent, and then either before or after I pick up the weapon, suddenly a barrage of bullets will start flying at me through the walls, killing me after only a couple of seconds. Getting passed it eventually was a sole streak of luck.

This game is total ass. Crysis is better in every single way imaginable. How Crytek managed to go from having made one of my most despised FPS games to one of the greatest ones ever created in just one step I have no idea.
^I completely retract this opinion, my install of the game must've been messed up or something (though I don't even know how that would alter the game in that way). I replayed it fresh, and I think it's a great game. It really made me wish companies still made these sorts of tactical shooters where your health doesn't regenerate - it makes you take an entirely different approach to each scenario than you would if it did.

As for Undertale, I completely agree with RibShark. Most (not all) of the people I know who don't like the game on an aesthetic level tend to not even understand why people like it in the first place. I find the characters and story to be very evocative and memorable, at least in the way they're presented. It's not like the basic premise hasn't been executed before.

However, the reason I still find it to be overrated is that, as an RPG, it's rather pathetic. In most RPGs, you go through an introductory sequence where the game holds your hand through a linear sequence of events usually lasting a couple of hours, after which the real meat of the game unlocks and you're free to begin exploring the open world (with some limitation - only the first area might be accessible). With Undertale on the other hand, the entire game feels like one of these introductory sequences, and it isn't really any longer. From beginning to end, there is almost no exploration that can be done whatsoever, and you're constantly facing a barrage of dialogue and cutscenes - now this isn't unusual for an RPG if you were to just rush straight through it without exploring at all, but in Undertale, there's nothing to explore, your only option is to go straight forward.

For what was there, I thought the level design and world were both really great and interesting… except for the volcano world. That place, compared to the rest of the game, fucking sucked. The pacing made absolutely no sense, it could never decide on a tone, Alphys, while cute, became annoying, and then worst of all: Near the beginning of the game, you're presented with a surprisingly difficult puzzle from Papyrus, and as a joke, it breaks and you don't have to complete it - naturally, this would foreshadow the puzzle appearing later in the game. As such, you finally reunite with it in the volcano world, you actually start trying to solve it, and then lo and behold, the game flips you off big time and solves it for you. It was clearly supposed to be funny, it pissed me off more than anything. It trashed a really good buildup in favour of adding more slapstick to a world that already had more than its fair share. The puzzles (aside from the time bomb one) were also either just boring or way too quick and easy. Mettaton, both as a character and a boss, also sucked. Literally nothing in this world had any coherency or flow at all, and it had the least interesting atmosphere. Realistically though, this world wasn't that bad, it only is if you're comparing it to the rest of the game.

Despite the near total lack of explorability and a sizeable, disappointingly mediocre section, I still highly recommend the game. What is good (everything aside from what I just pointed out) is really, really good.

I wish Toby would make a successor to Undertale - I don't mean a sequel (because honestly, while I think Undertale could've been a huge game at no expense of the narrative, that idea is nothing more than a missed opportunity), I mean a game that uses Undertale's mechanics (the battle system especially), but is set in a completely different universe, and is a large, open-world RPG.
Last edited by Adsolution on Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pirez
Ly

Post by Pirez »

Adsolution wrote:As for Undertale, I completely agree with RibShark. Most (not all) of the people I know who don't like the game on an aesthetic level tend to not even understand why people like it in the first place. I find the characters an
A fraction of your sentence may be missing in there, Ad ;)

Adsolution
Dora Dodemer
Tings: 5007

Post by Adsolution »

lol what the fuck, fixed.