Games you consider overrated

Talk about everything but Rayman!

Moderator: English moderators

Adsolution
Dora Dodemer
Tings: 5007

Re: Games you consider overrated

Post by Adsolution »

I really didn't like the first one. I enjoyed some of the second one, the artstyle is definitely a vast improvement over the first, but I found it to quickly get boring as well. I also really don't like the mechanics.

Skaarj
Pâquerette
Tings: 14080

Post by Skaarj »

well... i disagree with you both,i had so much fun with both borderlands 1 and 2, and the series is one of my fav of all time,problaby cuz im just a big fan of somewhat old school fps/rpg games,but opinions are opinions

Dark Lum Lord
Pâquerette
Tings: 12670

Post by Dark Lum Lord »

Never did bother to play the Borderlands games, they never interested me. An online friend of mine really likes the series, but it looks rather generic to me, although I can't say much. Anyways, all I can think of at the moment is New Super Mario Bros. It's not a bad game, just rather overrated considering the fact that the style of sidescrolling Mario games had already been done numerous times before this game and anyone who thinks it's original obviously hasn't played the NES Mario games. I never bother mentioning the older titles to most around my age since they look at me as though I have three eyes if I mention the abbreviation "NES".

Onward, The Simpsons Hit & Run and The Simpsons Road Rage, I liked both of them but they can become rather tedious and boring which is why I don't play them often. That and they're both rip-offs, not to mention that the latter has laughable graphics. Don't get me wrong, I've never cared much for graphics, but I'd expect more from a PS2 game.

Master
Rayman Origins
Tings: 404000

Post by Master »

I dabbled in Borderlands 2, and while I enjoyed it at first, it progressively got more grating and boring, I haven't touched it in a while since.

OCG
Roméo Patti
Tings: 9820

Post by OCG »

Never played Borderlands game.
Image [YouTube] [Facebook] [Twitter] [DeviantART]

[Skype: アンドリヤ (OCG)] [Xbox Live: OldClassicGamer] [PSN: OldClassicGamer] [Steam: OldClassicGamer] [Nintendo Network ID: OldClassicGamer] [3DS FC: 0275-8128-3030]

Thank Mr. Skeltal Image

Rayfist
Rayman 2
Tings: 176605

Post by Rayfist »

Shame... I was planning on getting into the Borderland series... is it really not that great?
Steam PSN Youtube
Follow me on Twitter
Imco wrote:+ I just beat the hell out of my sister. That was great :D

Matyuv
Gangsta Globox
Tings: 53281

Post by Matyuv »

I wouldn't bother with the first one. BL2 is an improvement, and can be fun in co-op, at least for a time. I think it's really weak as a singleplayer game though.
MandM81 wrote:YYYYYYYRRRHLHLPYYYYYYPDPPPYYYYYYYYYYYYRRRRRR

Master
Rayman Origins

Post by Master »

Yeah, the bulk of what I played in Borderlands was done so with my brother, on my own, I ended up getting bored.

Rayman fan2000
Garatta Ciatik
Tings: 10125

Post by Rayman fan2000 »

OldClassicGamer wrote:I agree with Super Mario Galaxy 1.

Also, a game I find a bit overrated is Sonic Adventure 2. I would not call it best 3D Sonic game like some do. I liked Sonic and Shadow stages, but treasure hunting stages were horrible. Tails and Eggman were alright, but they lacked speed.
Well, of course Sonic Adventure 2 wasn't the BEST game, but I agree that it's a bit overrated.
I found this comment that was a reply to someone stating their opinion about the game on the pirate bay. (Using a proxy, as the pirate bay is blocked here)
Pirate Bay wrote:@janderkin - You're a fucking moron.

This was the last good sonic game they came out with.

Or what, did you never evolve past the 2d graphics?

GrandKittymus
Ptizêtre Vert
Tings: 1210

Post by GrandKittymus »

Yup. Time to be that cliche, cartoon and old school game lover and say Call of Duty as my answer. I get that it's realistic and you can sooth your rage by killing people on that game rather than real people, but why base games off of realistic things? I don't find a whole lot of fun in Realistic violent games. You know, I would rather turn my enemies into sheep in Ratchet and Clank rather than instantly killing 'em with a real gun any day.

Welcome~. The Kitty is at your service today. The Teensies are currently not available to assist you so allow me to be your Substitute. What's that? A giant is looking to crush me? No~, of course that's not possible.

Master
Rayman Origins

Post by Master »

Meh, there'll be those who get it for its reputation, and those who get it for more legitimate reasons, I've left them be, I can't really be bothered by it.

todpole
Moustique
Tings: 980

Post by todpole »

Super Mario 64. I just didn't like it. I got the remake for DS and I found it dull. The early levels were fine but the later levels just seem badly badly desgined to me. the boss were mostly dull and it just didn't aged well.
Who will win a Fight:Image vsImage

Master
Rayman Origins

Post by Master »

Hehe, I think OCG might have found a kindred spirit.
As for me, meh, my experiences with 64 aren't as thorough as I'd like, but even then, I do appreciate the formula it left behind that the likes of Galaxy has followed.

Bzzit
Bzzit
Tings: 24529

Post by Bzzit »

Yeah I agree on Mario 64, I'm just not a fan of the level design and controls in that game among other things. I do respect the game for influencing many of my favourite 3D platformers though.
Rayman is the best man

Adsolution
Dora Dodemer

Post by Adsolution »

I really, really like 64, but perhaps it is partially a nostalgia thing as well. Nonetheless, I remember loving it the whole way through when I got it as a kid, right up to my 120th star. It's likely because there was no other game like it at the time, it was incredibly innovative and unique. While I'll agree on some of the later levels having mediocre level design, some other 'later' levels like Shifting Sand Lands, Tall Tall Mountain and Tiny Huge Island were some of my favourites in the entire game.

OCG
Roméo Patti
Tings: 9820

Post by OCG »

Bzzit wrote:Yeah I agree on Mario 64, I'm just not a fan of the level design and controls in that game among other things. I do respect the game for influencing many of my favourite 3D platformers though.
I fully agree with this. Mario 64 definitely made a huge impact. Even for later much awesomer Mario games like Galaxy and Galaxy 2.
Not to mention other 3D Platformers.
Image [YouTube] [Facebook] [Twitter] [DeviantART]

[Skype: アンドリヤ (OCG)] [Xbox Live: OldClassicGamer] [PSN: OldClassicGamer] [Steam: OldClassicGamer] [Nintendo Network ID: OldClassicGamer] [3DS FC: 0275-8128-3030]

Thank Mr. Skeltal Image

Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 557262

Post by Hunchman801 »

sonicbrawler182 wrote:Rayman 1: People are way too forgiving of this game. It's not terrible, but it has VERY flawed level design, and some programming issues that really hurt what could of been a timeless game. The visuals, music, and atmosphere is perfect, and the game's base mechanics are great, but a lot of very questionable decisions prevent it from being as timeless as the likes of Super Mario Bros, Mega Man, and Sonic the Hedgehog.
I haven't played Megaman, but I actually liked the mechanics of the original Rayman a lot more than those of Mario and Sonic, which I found to lack precision and a certain sense of realism (not that the former was realistic, but it felt more natural to me).
Rayfist wrote:Grand Theft Auto V: Now I'm really excited to play GTA V when it comes out on PC, and I'm in no way saying it's bad, but it's ridiculously overhyped/overrated. And it's far from what I'd call 'Game of The Year'.
I enjoy this game a lot but I have to agree it's received too much praise.

Imco
Clark
Tings: 123535

Post by Imco »

Elder Scrolls Skyrim:
I mean, I liked this game, but that's it, I didn't really have the urge to explore the rest of the world and go on sidequests in this game...

All COD games:
I just don't like FPS :P

GTAV:
This is just one huge marketing trick about some, ok pretty cool, sandbox game :/
Event-Bot wrote:I'm here.
Thanks for creating me popa. :coeur:

Master
Rayman Origins

Post by Master »

Hm, having played and enjoyed Skyrim, and enjoyed the exploration and sidequest aspect, I think that's more of a matter of taste. TES Games in general tend to focus more on providing a non-linear explorative experience with side quests and discoverable events as opposed to one completely focused narrative.

CoD, I don't claim much like to the franchise meself, and I do think some get it more for the brand as opposed to the game, but as a game in itself, it's not too shabby, certainly played better, but also played worse.

And then there' GTA V, I dabbled in it for a bit, but I'll admit, it's not my cuppa' tea, again though, it's still enjoyed by many.

Adsolution
Dora Dodemer

Post by Adsolution »

Hunchman801 wrote:
Rayfist wrote:Grand Theft Auto V: Now I'm really excited to play GTA V when it comes out on PC, and I'm in no way saying it's bad, but it's ridiculously overhyped/overrated. And it's far from what I'd call 'Game of The Year'.
I enjoy this game a lot but I have to agree it's received too much praise.
While I agree that the game is generally overrated to an extent, I also find it to be quite underrated by those who call it overrated. To me, it's only "slightly" overrated, in that, while it's not "the greatest game of all time" like many make it out to be, I'd still quite easily list it as my Game of the Year.