IT... Computing....

For everything not related to either Rayman or Pirate-Community.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.

Windows 10 is bad as it violates all your privacy.

YES, it is scandalous.
64%
No, I like it and I use it actively, now shut the fuck up you IT communist.
36%

Total votes: 14

incognito
Électoon
Tings: 0

IT... Computing....

Post by incognito »

So here, talk about Linux, Windows, and Mac...

A little poll :
Last edited by incognito on Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:59 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Adsolution
Aline Louïa
Tings: 106718

Re: Computers (not hardware)

Post by Adsolution »

Windows 8 is pure shit. Except for the task manager and indexing system.
incognito
Électoon

Post by incognito »

ROFL LoveMetal think windows 8 is awesome...

Im soon gonna install slackware.
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102745

Post by PluMGMK »

I'm loving these poll results! :mrgreen: Windows 8 is the first Windows release I've skipped since I became interested in IT…
RibShark
Feuillu
Tings: 1735

Post by RibShark »

Correction: Windows is pure shit.

Linux FTW!
saerleiya
Premier Grand Mini
Tings: 5782

Post by saerleiya »

I'm not putting 'pure shit' because it's not completely awful.

But it's still awful. I would say 'shitty', but not enough for me to go to Linux or Mac.
Adsolution wrote:
saerleiya wrote:RayFag'
Aahh, you're exposing my Rule34 account.
DandyGuy
Ptizêtre Ermite
Tings: 1772

Post by DandyGuy »

1 vote for no?
@RibShark What makes Linux so great? (Im not doubting it im just wondering.)
Droolie
Mr Sax
Tings: 61830

Post by Droolie »

DandyGuy wrote:1 vote for no?
2 now. :P
Adsolution wrote:Windows 8 is pure shit. Except for the task manager and indexing system.
Actually, there's a bug in the task manager. On some computers, it takes more than a minute to open it for the first time after a restart. Apart from that, I think Windows 8 is okay. If you know your way around with shortcuts, that is. :P

Many people like Linux most because you can choose everything that is running that way. It also makes life easier for programmers, although I won't explain that here. I still like Windows a lot more because there are far more applications for it that fit my needs. Even though I'm a programmer, which seems to make it inherently weird that I prefer Windows above Linux and Mac.
incognito
Électoon

Post by incognito »

Drolpiraat wrote:
DandyGuy wrote:1 vote for no?
2 now. :P
Adsolution wrote:Windows 8 is pure shit. Except for the task manager and indexing system.
Actually, there's a bug in the task manager. On some computers, it takes more than a minute to open it for the first time after a restart. Apart from that, I think Windows 8 is okay. If you know your way around with shortcuts, that is. :P

Many people like Linux most because you can choose everything that is running that way. It also makes life easier for programmers, although I won't explain that here. I still like Windows a lot more because there are far more applications for it that fit my needs. Even though I'm a programmer, which seems to make it inherently weird that I prefer Windows above Linux and Mac.
Get the fuck off.

Windows is pure shit. (my opinion)

Im fuckin' tired of his vulnerabilites, his mysterious interface.
Droolie
Mr Sax
Tings: 61830

Post by Droolie »

Well aren't you funny. The vulnerabilities are there because it's used a lot, and Linux/Mac have them too. It's just a matter of time before people start making use of them. If you find the interface "mysterious", then perhaps you should take a better look at it, as it's easier to use than most versions of Linux. :P
incognito
Électoon

Post by incognito »

Drolpiraat wrote:Well aren't you funny. The vulnerabilities are there because it's used a lot, and Linux/Mac have them too. It's just a matter of time before people start making use of them. If you find the interface "mysterious", then perhaps you should take a better look at it, as it's easier to use than most versions of Linux. :P

By that i mean the Interface hide something, you don't know if it directly send datas to the NSA
DandyGuy
Ptizêtre Ermite
Tings: 1772

Post by DandyGuy »

incognito wrote:
Drolpiraat wrote:Well aren't you funny. The vulnerabilities are there because it's used a lot, and Linux/Mac have them too. It's just a matter of time before people start making use of them. If you find the interface "mysterious", then perhaps you should take a better look at it, as it's easier to use than most versions of Linux. :P

By that i mean the Interface hide something, you don't know if it directly send datas to the NSA
A lot of people have been sending "dick pics" to the NSA just to troll them.
LoveMetal
André
Tings: 217520

Post by LoveMetal »

I already explained my point of view in french forums, so here is a little translation:
saerleyia wrote:I still think that the most user-friendly UI of Microsoft is XP one. It hasn't been easy to switch to W7 for me because Microsoft started to hide their own menus. At least W8 looks quite the same, so I feel more comfortable. I started to use W8 since only 3 months.
W8 and XP, they have different points of view. On a side you've got simplicity and accessibility. Applications appear as huge and visible tiles, that you can access in two clicks from the desktop, and with a dashboard that gives you all your shortcuts in front of you in only a screen.
On the other side you have organization and accumulation, with an overuse of icons, and with menus & sub-menus well sorted where each one have its own purpose.

Personally I'm allergic to menus (because I'm always in a hurry, I never click on the right thing at the first try), and I'm also allergic to icons on the desktop (nothing more messy, it accumulates again and again and it's a real mess without a regular cleaning.
So yeah for me the choice is quick. But it's true that XP's design was good in its own perspective, I liked it well. In fact for the UI, it is difficult to reproach anything to Microsoft, they always have been an example for me and they evolved well, blending design and ease of use (bugs and internal hierarchy, such as filesystem or NT architecture, are another domain). And not only with their Windows product: Visual Studio is just wonderful, it is the only reason with gaming that force me to stay on Windows.

Translation finished, 'nuff said.
incognito wrote:By that i mean the Interface hide something, you don't know if it directly send datas to the NSA
It's called a privacy policy, if you don't agree with it nobody forces you to buy the product. And because they say they are proprietary of the data you send to them (like a lot of other businesses btw), it doesn't mean they will send it to anyone else. But if you don't trust the faith of enterprises it's fine it's your own choice.
incognito wrote:Im soon gonna install slackware.
You didn't even found the download link by yourself, so I don't think you'll be able to use such a distribution. :P

Mhh, because it's not the record day yet and we still can make huge posts, let's explain my point of view of the great Slackware. This distribution represent almost everything I need from an OS :
I don't want my package manager to handle dependencies: I want to be aware of every single package that is installed on my system.
I don't want my distro to be served with an out of the box multilib support: I don't want stupid space waste even if I have to install the packages 1 by 1.
I don't want audio/video codecs to be installed by default, nor video players: I'm fine with mplayer and a dozen of codecs.
I don't want these accessibility tools: they are useless to me.
I want my config files to be empty: it is my bashrc, my xorg.conf, my rc.lua, not the ones of my distribution.
BUT...
I also want a stable system,
I also want a quick OS,
I also want an active community with a ton of user scripts.

That's all, and Droolie if you ever need to code on Linux I'd advice you to take a look to this distro (alright no more VS :( )

IF THIS POST IS BURIED BY STUPID SPAM POSTS DURING THE RD, SHIT IS GONNA HIT THE FAN !
Last edited by LoveMetal on Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Master
Rayman 1
Tings: 404084

Post by Master »

Hmm, do you mean this topic getting buried, or your post in particular?
LoveMetal
André

Post by LoveMetal »

Well, both but it took me almost an hour to invent, translate and write that shit so I think you can easily understand what a frustration it would be. :mrgreen:
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102745

Post by PluMGMK »

RibShark wrote:Correction: Windows is pure shit.

Linux FTW!
By the way, Rib, what distro do you use?
LoveMetal
André

Post by LoveMetal »

IF THIS POST IS BURIED BY STUPID SPAM POSTS DURING THE RD, SHIT IS GONNA HIT THE FAN !
Good, you have been wise guys on this one, now you can answer. :mrgreen:
Phoenixan
Ursula
Tings: 26333

Post by Phoenixan »

In my experience, every operating system has something to hate about it, so you may as well just find something modern that you like and use it. But at the moment my main work computer is a Macbook Pro.
foultzboyz
Électoon

Post by foultzboyz »

Windows 8 is only somewhat bearable to me if i install Classic Shell. it still sucks, no doubt, but at least it's not as much of an utter headache as trying to use Metro. Microsoft Bob had a better interface than Metro.

and Macs and Linux are getting a decent amount of software nowadays. not as much as Windows, but even gaming-wise, while there's not a ton of stuff, almost all the bases are covered in some way, and most of the time with Linux, it's free software too. i usually use a MacBook, but when i have to use a PC and i have a choice between hundreds of dollars spent on an terrible OS or spending nothing to download Linux Mint, loaded with solid software and infinitely better, it's kind of a no-brainer.
Hoodcom
Mr Dark
Location: R̸̨̧̛̝͎͔̹͉̫̞͚͎͈̫̲̘͕̞͔̼̣͍̞̤̹̫̘̼͚̤̮̟͍̺̯͍̜̹͓̤͖͎͌̀̿͗̍͌̈́̿̿͑̄̀͌̒̅͛̄̾̈͠ͅayman Pirate-Community Lodge
Tings: 453317

Post by Hoodcom »

Well hello there foultzboyz! It's been forever since I last seen or spoke with you! :o

How have you been?

Too bad Windows 9 may still have an ugly Start Menu, but I really would like to see Windows 7's style back.