Movies you just recently watched

For everything not related to either Rayman or Pirate-Community.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Ambidextroid
Mini Jano
Tings: 675

Re: Movies you just recently watched

Post by Ambidextroid »

I just watched Louis Theroux's My Scientology Movie which was pretty interesting, I didn't really find it as funny as some people say it was though.
It seemed as though a large portion of the documentary was about filming these recreations of events that occurred in the Church of Scientology, but unless I missed something they never actually showed the recreations. There was one part where they were filming and directing a scene in an office and almost showed the whole scene being filmed, but not the actual scene itself. They also cast an actor to play Tom Cruise but he never actually appeared in character apart from one scene that lasted a few seconds which was intercut between Louis' narration of something entirely unrelated.
I was expecting them to show maybe some kind of short film at the end or intercut the recreations throughout the documentary, but nothing seemed to come of it.

So I didn't really understand the whole recreation idea (which constituted about a third of the whole film) but the rest was actually interesting documentary material with real confrontations with Scientologists, and gave a good insight into just how crazy the whole situation really is.
Ambidextroid
Mini Jano

Post by Ambidextroid »

Bump

I watched the original The Italian Job yesterday, it was pretty brilliant but felt a little short.
Ray502
Magicien
Tings: 52095

Post by Ray502 »

Haven't watched them yet, but on Christmas I will be watching the original trilogy of Star Wars for the very first time. After that I will watch The Force Awakens (also got it for Christmas), and then The Last Jedi when it is still in theaters.

I'll probably post a review of the original trilogy after I finished watching them. :)

And to go along with the topic, I did watch most of Bull Durham on Saturday. Liked it, but wasn't as good as Major League or 42.
FC: 37.699 | CF: 107.954 | BOM: 94.827 | LOTLD: 121.385 | DOTK: 109.831 | LS: 41.270 | SBTC: 94.755 | HH: 107.339 | TOTL: 104.496

Total: 819.556
Ambidextroid
Mini Jano

Post by Ambidextroid »

I'm not sure I've ever watched any of the original 6 Star Wars movies, unless I just can't remember them. Tell me what you think, I've never been interested in Star Wars but I might give them another go yet.
WizardMinecraft
Électoon
Tings: 7

Post by WizardMinecraft »

While you two were watching Louis Theroux's My Scientology and Star Wars Films, I decided to see the "movie that went nuts on the internet of the year" that was the emoji movie, and it was ok for a company that made the live-action smurf movies.

this video shows my thoughts on the movie in a nutshell
Ambidextroid
Mini Jano

Post by Ambidextroid »

I watched the original Gojira the other day and I thought it was actually quite good, and although Gojira himself looked pretty silly in a few scenes the special effects were much better than I had expected.
raymanHUN
Ptizêtre Ninja
Tings: 3466

Post by raymanHUN »

Just watched "Ichi" the other day, a 2008 movie about a blind swordswoman who is probably the daughter of the blind swordsman, Zatoichi, however the movie never confirms, nor denies it.. I loved Kurosawa's samurai-films, and I tought I might try something different, something, how should I say, "new", with some eye-candy moments. Well, I wouldn't say I was dissapointed, though it definitely isn't as good as Yojimbo was. The story is pretty simple, but most of the actors and actresses are great. Haruka Ayase played her role extremely well. Like, at one point of the film I was quite convinced that the actual actress is blind herself :) I think I'm gonna watch the old Zatoichi movies as well. Have you guys seen this movie? Or any other chanbara? Any suggestions what to watch next? :D
minimalism
Keane
André
Tings: 222528

Post by Keane »

new//batch

The Disaster Artist
It'sa pretty good, I don't think a movie's made me laugh this much in years. James Franco absolutely fucking nailed his Tommy Wiseau role, which was my biggest worry about the movie leading up to it's release because I didn't think anyone would be able to reenact Tommy without it being kinda hamfisted and turning him into a caricature, but it really felt like watching Tommy himself the whole time. And it's what carries the movie over the edge for me, without James Franco there's often not a lot going on and it's his performance that you should see this for if anything. The first half hour especially brings a lot of character and charm to the table.

There were some issues I had though, the most prominent being in how they portrayed Tommy's psych. They omitted a lot of vital detail from Tommy's personality to try and paint him as a bit more of an underdog character than he was, and the whole "asshole that you learn to love" aspect of the book is almost entirely replaced with a more digestible, easy to understand portrayal wherein Tommy is mostly just a weird guy with a big dream and then he tries to make it real. They do have a little bit of asshole Tommy in there, but those scenes often end up feeling kinda out of place and they rarely build up to anything or help make an important point about him.

I don't really understand why these changes were made other than they were worried people who haven't read the book were too stupid to understand a more complex character (which begs the question why you're making a movie about someone as complex as Tommy Wiseau), or eventually we'll learn that Tommy made them do it in the contract. Either way I don't think these changes were necessary or make it work better in a movie context, and it's kind of a let down seeing as Tommy is such an incredible person to focus a movie on.

Then there's a few things like the ending which felt really rushed and kind of anti-climactic, all the characters besides Tommy aren't given a lot of depth or focus (Seth Rogen basically plays mouthpiece for the audience), and there were two things I won't spoil that felt like they were in there for no deeper reason than James Franco thought it would be cool if they were.

But still, I had a great time with it and it delivered exactly the humour you'd want out of a Tommy Wiseau movie. It's charming and I doubt anyone can see the first 30 minutes and not be engaged by it, I just feel like when it came to actually doing a character study of Tommy Wiseau the movie falls kinda flat.
Burgers float into my room...
Adsolution wrote:muse - showbiz (super mario sunshiner mario falling sound cover ending)
Adsolution
Aline Louïa
Tings: 106718

Post by Adsolution »

Ray502 wrote:Haven't watched them yet, but on Christmas I will be watching the original trilogy of Star Wars for the very first time. After that I will watch The Force Awakens (also got it for Christmas), and then The Last Jedi when it is still in theaters.
I'm surprised how many people haven't seen the original films, since they were ingrained into my and everyone at school's brains for as long as I can remember. It's probably because we grew up with the prequels (meaning we would've seen the others too), which you would've been too young for at the time.

If you're watching 4-5-6-7-8 in a row though, especially for the first time, I have no doubt that the extent to which 7 is a retelling of 4 will at the very least annoy you.
Ray502
Magicien
Tings: 52095

Post by Ray502 »

Yeah I'm really excited to watch 4 through 8, all for the very first time. Thanks for the heads-up about The Force Awakens. I don't have much of an interest in getting the prequels, unless you and others have both watched them and enjoyed them.
FC: 37.699 | CF: 107.954 | BOM: 94.827 | LOTLD: 121.385 | DOTK: 109.831 | LS: 41.270 | SBTC: 94.755 | HH: 107.339 | TOTL: 104.496

Total: 819.556
Master
Rayman 1
Tings: 404084

Post by Master »

While they might not be as well received, there are some nice tidbits between the exceptional meme material and cringe. Not to mention that if it wasn't for the prequels, we wouldn't have the Clone Wars animated series, which did wonders for expanding on the universe's lore. Don't feel obliged to watch the prequels, but I'd say you ought to give them a try at some point. There are quite a few fan edits also which tend to make the films more watchable, but it might be that you'd rather decide for yourself as to what you like and don't.
Adsolution
Aline Louïa
Tings: 106718

Post by Adsolution »

While the rest of the movie tiptoes between self-parody and being one giant toy commercial, I unironically enjoy the last act of Revenge of the Sith. It's ridiculous and hammy, yes, but it's done so in a way almost reminiscent of classic opera seria. The sheer epic passion you can feel oozing from every bit of it is not only something I appreciate, it's able to suspend my disbelief enough for me to actually get immersed. Seeing it in theatres when I was nine was one of the best experiences going to a movie I've ever had.

Phantom Menace is a directionless mess barring the pod race and Darth Maul fight which I think, as stand-alone scenes, are enjoyable, and Attack of the Clones is Tommy Wiseau's directorial debut.

(Funnily, I actually think Attack has some of the nicest visuals and music in the franchise): 1:39- hey nice!

Despite the fact Lucas wrote and conveyed it terribly, there are moments where I think that passion to intend to tell an awesome, emotionally gripping story shine through (especially in the visuals and music). I fucking loved them as a kid, and I think my imagination getting to run with those ideas is why. No amount of revisiting them is going to change that.
Keane
André

Post by Keane »

The Shape of Water was sweet, I didn't expect to love this movie. It's one of those movies where I feel like the "just shut your brain off and enjoy" meme phrase is actually justified, because I felt so completely immersed by it that only after it ended and I started thinking about it I could come up with anything that in hindsight wasn't as good.

There's a weird gap in movies now where I feel like either things end up in the average-to-bad category (It, Beauty and the Beast, Rogue One) or it's like a crazy good, wildly experimental art project (Arrival, Blade Runner 2049), but this was just right in the middle. It's an accessible but engaging story with a solid cast of characters that it's able to balance and develop properly, some interesting storytelling through sound and visuals, and most of what it plants ends up having payoff. Very good :!:
Adsolution wrote:as stand-alone scenes
As a stand-alone scene I still think the Darth Maul fight is gayly overrated and I found it one of the most exemplary scenes of why Phantom Menace is so fucking boring!! After half a scene of showcasing choreography from different camera angles (can you believe George hired a good choreographer ?) it finally builds some tension by locking Obi-Wan out and killing Qui-Gon, but then after a cheesy no ! scream it cuts right back to more mute, unnaturally perfect choreography which takes me right back out of it. :tssk: :boon: :destroy:

In combarison Episode 7's climax fight is heated and tense and feels like real people going why Lisa why you do, even if I don't actually care that much about them in the movie's context.
Adsolution wrote:muse - showbiz (super mario sunshiner mario falling sound cover ending)
WizardMinecraft
Électoon

I had seen a english dub of japanese super mario move that Nintendo actually made that was also floating around youtube for a while.

The english dub here
and yes Nintendo actually made this
for japan only
R4Y_ANC3L
Bras maléfique
Tings: 500

Post by R4Y_ANC3L »

I know that show. It is actually an anime.

Super Mario bros. Peach-hime Kyushutsu Dai Sakusen!
WizardMinecraft
Électoon

It has the run time as an hour long movie so it counts goddamit.

Besides how did you know about it? did you google it? did you go to japan and watch the anime there?
R4Y_ANC3L
Bras maléfique
Tings: 500

Post by R4Y_ANC3L »

WizardMinecraft wrote:It has the run time as an hour long movie so it counts goddamit.

Besides how did you know about it? did you google it? did you go to japan and watch the anime there?
Super Mario is my favourite anime. In case you didn't notice.

Luigi was present in later games in the same coloured outfit as in that anime movie. In Super Smash Bros, one of his palette colors are the yellow shirt and blue overalls. It is said that those colors are historically his anime colours.
I searched it up on the Mario Wikipedia from that point.

This is the first anime that gave Luigi a personality that is somewhat greedy and less dreamy.

You do know that they are in my signature. It's just that I re-coloured them.
Ambidextroid
Mini Jano

Post by Ambidextroid »

I watched The Red Turtle last night which was really good. I was expecting something in more of a Ghibli style, but they had less of a hand in the film than I originally thought.
Still, every single frame was a beautiful watercolor and some of the subtle effects they used like shifting the background including the texture of the canvas to simulate wind looked really nice. There's no dialogue in the film at all and it's mostly just the ambient sounds of the island and the sea with some occasional music.
While the deeper meaning behind the turtle aspect (if there was one) may have gone over my head a little, just taking it for what it is made for a deeply enjoyable experience.
Keane
André

Post by Keane »

Her : very very very beautiful movie that surpassed all expectations of being "hipster bullshit", it might already be one of my favourites. it's easily the most interesting portrayal of a future setting i've seen, it feels completely realistic and i'm glad they opted to present it through a story that treats none of it as something that needs to be explained to the audience.

i feel like some people might come out of this disappointed that the movie wasn't a wikipedia page documenting how this hypothetical future would work, but that's entirely missing the point: by putting it in a love story that focuses only on what's relevant to that love story it creates a kind of intimacy and understanding of the setting that i don't think you get out of a more traditional approach at depicting the future. you just observe the details as it goes along and it all clicks in your head without the movie ever needing to point it out.

same goes for the themes, i think the social commentary is excellent but it never overshadowed the story it takes place in. you can enjoy it on the surface level as a great love story but there's so much implied and carefully detailed throughout the movie that its impossible not to have it stick around in your head for a while afterwards. i loved that it didn't just acknowledge problems most people are likely to relate to but it also provides solutions for them, at least to me the themes held a much more personal angle that i don't think any other movie has achieved as successfully.

The Commuter : this is literally the exact same movie as Non-Stop, just this time in a train. it's kind of amazing that there's still more of these liam neeson action movies being made, aside from feeling painfully cliched and dated they're also just completely unoriginal in their own rank and -still- riding off the success of Taken. it's kind of a shame too because i do think liam neeson is a great actor and his grumbly old man character has potential, it's just that it begs to be casted into a mature, competent movie, and not these cheesy action flicks. likewise this movie begs to be taken less serious and to be played more self-aware, there's no way the writers actually expected people to be emotionally invested in this.
Ambidextroid
Mini Jano

Post by Ambidextroid »

I watched the Cloverfield Paradox on Netflix the other day which I thought was better than the reviews made it out to be.
I really liked pretty much every character and the visuals were really well done, in fact the whole movie was at least entertaining if the plot wasn't all that great. Especially the first half of the film which was really promising and could have been made into a genuinely great movie. That's not to say the second half was terrible but the last few minutes of the film did basically undermine everything that had happened until then. Also there was at least one scene with incorrect gravity but I've come to forgive blunders like these in sci-fi space movies.
What I liked especially were some of the visual effects and crazy things that happened during the general chaos after the particle accelerator fails.
Specifically when Volkov's eyes started acting strange which foreshadowed his sudden change in personality (which I found really creepy) and when Mundy's arm was removed by the space station's wall only to reappear with its own personality. The effect with the wall panels was particularly well done and reminded me of the similar scene in Source Code with the imaginary container changing shape.
Finally the very end was pretty disappointing, wherein the majority of the crew die in an effort to bring free energy to earth to fix the energy crisis only to find out that there's an even bigger crisis going on that completely undermines the entire film and was clearly tacked on just for the Cloverfield link.

Either way I would recommend watching it, it was still enjoyable throughout and had some particularly interesting and original scenes.