Linux

For everything not related to either Rayman or Pirate-Community.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Hoodcom
Mr Dark
Location: R̸̨̧̛̝͎͔̹͉̫̞͚͎͈̫̲̘͕̞͔̼̣͍̞̤̹̫̘̼͚̤̮̟͍̺̯͍̜̹͓̤͖͎͌̀̿͗̍͌̈́̿̿͑̄̀͌̒̅͛̄̾̈͠ͅayman Pirate-Community Lodge
Tings: 453317

Re: Linux

Post by Hoodcom »

Master wrote:I don't remember 3.1 having a Start Menu.
It doesn't, but meh, it makes me happy regardless still.
incognito
Électoon
Tings: 0

Post by incognito »

I told you, XFCE is awesome, fast, lightweight and highly customisable.
If you want to go further in the retro mania, you probably should try Window Maker.
Hoodcom
Mr Dark
Location: R̸̨̧̛̝͎͔̹͉̫̞͚͎͈̫̲̘͕̞͔̼̣͍̞̤̹̫̘̼͚̤̮̟͍̺̯͍̜̹͓̤͖͎͌̀̿͗̍͌̈́̿̿͑̄̀͌̒̅͛̄̾̈͠ͅayman Pirate-Community Lodge

Post by Hoodcom »

incognito wrote:I told you, XFCE is awesome, fast, lightweight and highly customisable.
If you want to go further in the retro mania, you probably should try Window Maker.
Oh yeah? Is it easy for a beginner? Have you used it much?
incognito
Électoon

Post by incognito »

It is awesome and easy, it was my main window magager for three months I think, it was when I was still searching my style.
But it is kind of a shock when you aren't used to old school configuration, it shouldn't be hard for you.
I bet after seeing that printscreen you have a old school desktop environment boner, amirite ?
Hoodcom
Mr Dark

Post by Hoodcom »

I have to say, I like how that looks. I'll definitely check it out sometime. :)
Master
Rayman 1
Tings: 404084

Post by Master »

Hmm, XFCE rings a bell, isn't that what Raspbian uses?
Hoodcom
Mr Dark

Post by Hoodcom »

Master wrote:Hmm, XFCE rings a bell, isn't that what Raspbian uses?
Looks like XFCE or Mate, not sure which is the default though.
incognito
Électoon

Post by incognito »

Raspbian uses LXDE, which is slightly different.
incognito
Électoon

Post by incognito »

#BumpTopicsOnFriday
In sometimes (I dunno when though)I'll have a Raspberry pi, I actually wonder if I can get it to run Awesome window manager in a practical way.
Master
Rayman 1
Tings: 404084

Post by Master »

I know the RPi 3 was powerful enough to run an embedded version of Windows 10, so you may get lucky.
incognito
Électoon

Post by incognito »

Awesome Window manager is light enough to be ran on a gameboy, that's not the problem, what I wanna do here is trying to modify it and add enough stuff in there to be ran on a smartphone screen size and usable with a touchscreen and a mini keyboard. :)
Now I'm thinking about it might be easy, all I have to do is rearrange the current interface I'm using right now.It should be fun. :mrgreen:
I might even make a video about it, getting a rid of LXDE can give a big performance boost.
I'm getting hyped, what better for a PipBoy of your creation to have an interface of your creation. (Luke Bonham helped, check his awesome github repo)
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102745

Post by PluMGMK »

Please do make a video, I'm unlikely to want Awesome on a Pi myself any time soon, but it should be interesting. :)

Well, as I mentioned in the "computer backgrounds" topic I've got a Linux from Scratch system, or more specifically Cross Linux from Scratch. Because I'm interested in trying new things I built the Systemd version (I guess that's not that new anymore) and I decided to forego installing the full X Server (totally not because I'm too lazy to set up all the config files, nope…) and just use the sway Wayland-based window manager.

Because I'm just using a lightweight window manager, I also didn't bother installing much of anything that comes with a full desktop environment, although quite a bit of GNOME stuff has built up. And let's face it, GNOME Terminal is a much better Wayland-compatible terminal emulator than Weston Terminal.

Being on the edge like this of course means my system isn't as reliable as the Debian system I used up until last Christmas, but I still use this LFS system every day without many serious problems.

Actually another thing I didn't bother installing is GTK2, since I reckoned GTK3 is good enough. Again, life on the cutting edge, mar dhea! That means I have to use a development version of GIMP, and it also means I can't use Flash, or its clones Gnash or Lightspark. And that doesn't bother me! :mrgreen: Unfortunately Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird still need GTK2 to compile, but not to run, so I find myself having to use pre-built binaries. Still, I'd rather not waste the disk space. (Though I've been having trouble with Steam lately, and I think I could solve it by disabling the bizarre "Steam Runtime", but to do that I'll definitely need to install my own copy of GTK2 - ah well!)

Anyway, there's probably a whole load of stuff I've forgotten to mention, but whatever.

My server/DVR runs Mythbuntu, on the other hand, because I need it to be much more reliable. It happens that today I did a release upgrade from 14.04.1 to 16.04.1. Since that involved changing the init system from Upstart to Systemd I was expecting headaches, but it turns out that running a Systemd-based LFS system had given me enough know-how to sort out any problems quickly!
incognito
Électoon

Post by incognito »

You're making your life overcomplicated with LFS, if you want a challenge you should try Gentoo, it is light and fast. :)
It doesn't come up with SystemD, but with OpenRC , which is far more reliable in my opinion.
As for Awesome WM, when I'm looking at my Android interface, I really shouldn't be hard to make it conveniently on a 4 inch touchscreen, I just have to adjust the size of the titlebars and add Idesk so I can add icons to the desktop, as for the application menu mine already uses a freedesktop one to automatically update the list and the icons, a quick slice of the menu's will easily allow me to change the size of the menu, with icons.
As you can see here https://cdn-shop.adafruit.com/1200x900/1601-00.jpg LXDE's mobile interface is really, really basic, some hacks to Awesome will make it even more beautiful, and may even add more functions, like a niiiiiice ncmpcpp widget.
Seriously, look at my desktop :
It is the most lightweight ever created but it looks awesome, make a little comparison with the previous LXDE screen, as you can see Awesome already works pretty much as an Android launcher would.
For now I think I'm gonna try to make a touchscreen friendly interface, like with buttons and gauges.
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

Oh man, you're making me wanna get a new Pi and build stuff with it! And that's probably good! :)

You know, you're probably right about SystemD being unreliable. Somehow on the most recent boot my server failed to get the NFS service running properly, which never happened before the switch to SystemD. Then when I tried to boot my PC today, which automounts the NFS folders, SystemD stalled the boot process for 93 seconds while it waited (in vain) for the folders to come online. At least it didn't refuse to boot, but it was annoying all the same. Actually, it's possible that this PC would refuse to boot if I disconnected the network cable, but I may be wrong (hopefully).

Also, following on from my previous braindump about GTK2, I did decide to install it. Then I tried running Steam without the Steam Runtime, but I also needed to install OpenAL and a 32-bit version of NSS. And then it turned out my version of FontConfig was too new anyway. And then it turned out that my problem with Steam was actually caused by Sway, since the client opens just fine on Weston. Bizarre. I should file an issue with Sway, but it's so bizarre I don't even know what I should say!
At least with GTK2 installed I could try compiling Firefox and Thunderbird myself. I actually got GNU IceCat rather than Firefox, and it worked fine (probably related to the fact that it's still on version 38). Thunderbird on the other hand just won't compile for me. I have issues with Python (multilib Python was a big mistake, one that I made in the very early days of this LFS project) but there's other stuff going on too. Oh well, I guess I'll have to stick with pre-compiled binaries, which is fine.

I appreciate your point about LFS making my life complicated (just look at what I just said!), but I've sunk so much time and energy into this system (I spent my entire Christmas holidays building it, to the point where I felt like some left-wing version of Scrooge!) that I really don't want to give it up now.

EDIT: As I suspected might happen, I just updated Sway to the latest Git and Steam is fine. :paranormal: So that's good. Though most games in my collection are unplayable on Wayland anyway due to lack of pointer-locking. :fou:
incognito
Électoon

Post by incognito »

As a Slackware user, I can only say SystemD's unreliable, as Slack's the anti-SystemD, I heard many users complaining about it's lack of security and bugs.
About the time and the love you've put into your system, I can understand it, really, I know that feel, like if your computer was your own baby, but you will get to the point where you'll be tired of how unstable everything is, and to the frustration of being unable to do what you want despite the task being relatively easy on another computer.
But may I ask the use you have of your machine ?
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

Well, I do a whole lot of browsing, for a start. I also play Rayman Legends (using Wine) almost every day. As a side-scroller that's obviously unaffected by the lack of pointer-lock. I should mention that I've got a Folding@home client running in the background all the time, which at least makes me feel my computer's power is doing some good for the world.

I do occasional computations with GNU Octave, though that's generally work-related so I don't like to do it at home. I also have programs like Blender and GIMP installed, and they work, but it's been ages since I've done any actual graphics editing ('cause I haven't been here, needing sigs!) or animation.

It's funny, a few months ago, I decided to play The Ball, and it's actually just about playable (well, I completed it!) even without pointer-locking and NVIDIA's proprietary driver, despite being a first-person game with nice graphics. It crashed quite often though.

Oh, and Steam worked once but now it's gone weird again. Will look at verbose logs then submit bug report.
incognito
Électoon

Post by incognito »

Legends runs smoothly?
For something like Folding Home, I need my all my bandwidth for my personal usage, and I don't like to know there is something in background doing something I cannot see or monitor.
Sigh, I never successfully ran my nvidia gpu on my Linux desktop, but I'll start working on it again after the 14.2 update of Slackware, as I know where the problem is.
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

Some days it's more laggy than others. Probably would be a lot smoother if I turned off the folding while playing. BTW I believe you can monitor Folding@Home, using FAHViewer. But I totally get what you're saying.

What is the problem with your GPU?
incognito
Électoon

Post by incognito »

My GPU has two problems with the distribution I'm using, it had more but they were pointless and they're now solved, but the main issues were a problem with Nvidia Optimus and with my kernel version and configuration. Now guess what, I ain't gonna spend time (which I already done a year ago for nothing btw) on a kernel configuration that will be used only for some months while a newer and better version comes with the distribution update.
As I said, all will be solved with Slack 14.2.
I wish I could partially dump Windows this year, I'm tired to be dependent of that shit for the things I have to do.
LoveMetal
André
Tings: 217520

Post by LoveMetal »

Oh yes, I remember that in 13.37 Optimus was a pain to implement properly. Now in 14.2 it's pretty straightforward, just a Slackbuild to install.
incognito wrote:Now guess what, I ain't gonna spend time (which I already done a year ago for nothing btw) on a kernel configuration that will be used only for some months while a newer and better version comes with the distribution update.
What is it? If you need to switch to a generic kernel or you want to add some modules, it takes 5 minutes.