Linux

For everything not related to either Rayman or Pirate-Community.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Hoodcom
Mr Dark
Location: R̸̨̧̛̝͎͔̹͉̫̞͚͎͈̫̲̘͕̞͔̼̣͍̞̤̹̫̘̼͚̤̮̟͍̺̯͍̜̹͓̤͖͎͌̀̿͗̍͌̈́̿̿͑̄̀͌̒̅͛̄̾̈͠ͅayman Pirate-Community Lodge
Tings: 453317

Re: Linux

Post by Hoodcom »

incognito wrote:You definitely have to test Awesome WM
What's that, exactly?
RibShark
Feuillu
Tings: 1735

Post by RibShark »

It's a tiling window manager. Never really got along with them myself. Give me a proper desktop environment any day. What's openSUSE like? Can't say I ever really used it myself. Arch is great if you want the latest versions of everything but the endless configuration can get a little tiring.
incognito
Électoon
Tings: 0

Post by incognito »

It is just the most awesome window manager ever.

It is extremely lightweight and is coded in Lua,unlike other WMs, Awesome is a tilling one, so it means the running apps are automatically organized by the WM to fit the screen space, you can manually add many functions to the wm, by adding libraries, a printscreen of my desktop can be founded on the first page of the topic.

It is also very useful on laptop, because it needs nothing to run, unlike KDE, which is very heavy and consume a lot of battery.

Personally, I use SLiM as my login manager, and Awesome as my Window Manager.
Master
Rayman 1
Tings: 404084

Post by Master »

Hmm, I guess I'm a stickler for eye candy, I've been leaning to KDE meself, installed it on Mint. Though Mint uses KDE 4, not 5.
incognito
Électoon

Post by incognito »

Master wrote:Hmm, I guess I'm a stickler for eye candy, I've been leaning to KDE meself, installed it on Mint. Though Mint uses KDE 4, not 5.
Slackware also uses KDE 4.

KDE is a window manager for the people that doesn't want to make things complicated, I assure you XFCE is also perfect for that.
Master
Rayman 1

Post by Master »

I'll take a peak at it sometime then. Right now, I'm trying to evaluate what desktop environment suits me best, so far, I've liked KDE because of how customisable it is. I tried KDE 5 on a Kubuntu VM, but it's not behaving with the screen resolution, for some bizarre reason, so I'm ok to stick with KDE4 on Mint.
RibShark
Feuillu

Post by RibShark »

I've switched to GNOME for the time being and I'm really enjoying it!
This is my current desktop, using the Arc GTK/Firefox theme.
incognito
Électoon

Post by incognito »

I remember I had a good time on GNOME, it is a very good WM, but Awesome is definitely better in my opinion.
Master
Rayman 1

Post by Master »

Well, I took the plunge. I've now got dual boot Windows 8.1 and Linux Mint. All seems in fair order, though the Wireless plays up eventually. Googling for an answer has led to some promising leads, though.
incognito
Électoon

Post by incognito »

Use Wicd as a network manager, the best tip I can give you :wink:
RibShark
Feuillu

Post by RibShark »

Master wrote:Well, I took the plunge. I've now got dual boot Windows 8.1 and Linux Mint. All seems in fair order, though the Wireless plays up eventually. Googling for an answer has led to some promising leads, though.
What Wireless card do you have? Depending on the chipset some are more compatible than others.
Master
Rayman 1

Post by Master »

The Realtek RTL8723BE, if Device Manager is to be believed.
RibShark
Feuillu

Post by RibShark »

I would imagine you get disconnected occasionally? If you do, try creating the file "/etc/modprobe.d/rtl8723be.conf" and inside it put "options rtl8723be fwlps=0". Reboot and it should hopefully work better.
Master
Rayman 1

Post by Master »

Okedoke, lemme boot into Mint and give it a shot.

EDIT: Alright, done. Can't tell if it's worked yet, but I'll see in due time, I'd imagine.
incognito
Électoon

Post by incognito »

Just to re-activate that topic, I think I will soon try Kali Linux on Android, it seems to be quite good for penetration testing purposes (no pun here)

Master
Rayman 1

Post by Master »

Well, Day 3 of Linux Mint. No crashes yet, Wifi's still a little unstable, but it's not been as bad as before. So, progress, I guess?
incognito
Électoon

Post by incognito »

Maybe your wifi card is just unstable towards Linux, there is some cases like that.
Master
Rayman 1

Post by Master »

True. At least I'm on the road to functionality, it's been behaving rather well now.
incognito
Électoon

Post by incognito »

Linux is good, but is is kinda hard to be fully deployed, especially Slackware.

Once it will be done, you will feel at home every-time you computer will be booted. :)
Hoodcom
Mr Dark
Location: R̸̨̧̛̝͎͔̹͉̫̞͚͎͈̫̲̘͕̞͔̼̣͍̞̤̹̫̘̼͚̤̮̟͍̺̯͍̜̹͓̤͖͎͌̀̿͗̍͌̈́̿̿͑̄̀͌̒̅͛̄̾̈͠ͅayman Pirate-Community Lodge
Tings: 453317

Post by Hoodcom »

Master wrote:Hmm, I guess I'm a stickler for eye candy, I've been leaning to KDE meself, installed it on Mint. Though Mint uses KDE 4, not 5.
I prefer KDE as well. However I do like Gnome as well. I'd say it comes second for my taste. I totally can live with either though.