Page 3 of 20

Re: Linux

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:52 pm
by RibShark
I keep switching between KDE and Gnome. I like the customisability of KDE but I also like the extendibility (not that KDE isn't extendable, just the extensions don't exist) and out-of-the-box good looks of Gnome. It's such a hard decision to make but I always end up switching between them.

Re: Linux

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:49 pm
by incognito
Just switch to Awesome then. :mrgreen:

Re: Linux

Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:09 pm
by Hoodcom
RibShark wrote:I keep switching between KDE and Gnome. I like the customisability of KDE but I also like the extendibility (not that KDE isn't extendable, just the extensions don't exist) and out-of-the-box good looks of Gnome. It's such a hard decision to make but I always end up switching between them.
Yeah they both really offer great things, don't they?

I checked out a couple of others, I think Cinnamon might come third for me. I'd probably take it over Unity.

Re: Linux

Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:24 am
by incognito
Xfce might be a good choice too, it is extensible, lightspeed, easy to use, and can be beautiful.

Re: Linux

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:11 pm
by LoveMetal
Former Slackware64/awesome user, unfortunatly I didn't have the time to maintain that shit so I first switched to Debian/awesome and now I don't have any Linux partition left on my HDD.

Re: Linux

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:25 am
by incognito
LoveMetal wrote:Former Slackware64/awesome user.
Here was my guide :mrgreen:

To stay on topic, the Linux Foundation recently released a guide to secure your systems, I advise all GNU/Linux users to take a look on it, here it is :

https://github.com/lfit/itpol/blob/mast ... ecurity.md

Re: Linux

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:56 am
by Fifo
incognito wrote:You have a Raspberry pi ? (Yeah Fifo I know you have one)
I have anything that you don’t. ;)
incognito wrote:How do you use it ? (by that I mean if you use it like a phone, a computer or a tablet.)
It’s a small and cheap Linux computer.

Re: Linux

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:19 am
by incognito
Fifo wrote:
incognito wrote:You have a Raspberry pi ? (Yeah Fifo I know you have one)
I have anything that you don’t. ;)
What the hell.
Also people never forget :
Image
Talkin' about Raspberries, I'm starting to think about including a computer to the Mark V armor.

Re: Linux

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:13 pm
by RibShark
Raspberry Pi is dead cheap though. I never really enjoyed using mine, but it was what introduced me to Linux.

Re: Linux

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:14 pm
by Fifo
RibShark wrote:I never really enjoyed using mine
I use mine as a print server, allowing me to print wirelessly.

Re: Linux

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:18 pm
by Master
I use my printer to print wireless, modern technology is fun.

As for the RPi, since I've done embedded programming now, I've been wondering if I could some hardware stuff with it.

Re: Linux

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:25 pm
by anaphasiia
incognito wrote:YES, I APPROVE !

Image
"I must always keep track of unchanging parameters like screen resolution and themes next to a non-impressive logo of text consuming 1/6 the screen below stats that only matter if I were a real programmer"

#LinuxUsers

Re: Linux

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:51 am
by DandyGuy
anaphasiia wrote:
incognito wrote:YES, I APPROVE !

Image
"I must always keep track of unchanging parameters like screen resolution and themes next to a non-impressive logo of text consuming 1/6 the screen below stats that only matter if I were a real programmer"

#LinuxUsers
>non-impressive logo of text
Not knowing what ASCII is.

Re: Linux

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:22 pm
by anaphasiia
I know what ASCII is, it's still not impressive. :mrgreen:

I'm mocking Linux pride, because there is a lot of it, when the users' setups screenshots look downright silly. It's obviously a fine operating system.

Re: Linux

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:48 pm
by DandyGuy
Oh. I thought that was sarcasm :oops2:

Re: Linux

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:30 pm
by incognito
anaphasiia wrote:I know what ASCII is, it's still not impressive. :mrgreen:

Code: Select all

                                          /________________________________
                                         /               What ?
                                 /~\    / _________________________________
                                (===)  / 
                                \ o /
                        #      _     _       #
                        \ \  / /     \ \   / /
                         \ \/ / |    |\ \ / /
                           \/           \/
                                |    |
                                \_  _/
                                | || |
                                | || |
                                [ ][ ]
                                | || |
_______________________________/_]_[_\_________________________
                               

Re: Linux

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:11 pm
by Lysol
I will maybe install a Linux distribution in a VM, not sure if I will.

Re: Linux

Posted: Fri May 06, 2016 8:11 pm
by incognito
Just bumping this, just saying that the new release of slackware will be in one or two months.
Also I wanted to add, did someone here already accomplished the amazing goal of a Linux only PC ?

Re: Linux

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:31 pm
by Hoodcom
Still playing around with OpenSuse 42.1 with XFCE under a VM.

Image

I love the customization ability. Windows 3.1 style for me. 8)

Re: Linux

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:46 pm
by Master
I don't remember 3.1 having a Start Menu.