What games are you currently playing?

Talk about everything but Rayman!

Moderator: English moderators

Master
Rayman Origins
Tings: 404000

Re: What games are you currently playing?

Post by Master » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:51 am

Overwatch has made quite the impression.

Bradandez
Globox
Tings: 137530

Post by Bradandez » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:52 am

I also really want to play TF2 since an update just came out recently.

Master
Rayman Origins

Post by Master » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:52 am

I haven't played TF2 in multiplayer, did some practice, wasn't doing it for me.

Matyuv
Gangsta Globox
Tings: 53281

Post by Matyuv » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:45 am

I tried TF2 a couple of days ago after a few months of not touching it. The game crashed when I tried matchmaking, and the casual mode took ridiculously long to find a server, so I just uninstalled the game again.
MandM81 wrote:YYYYYYYRRRHLHLPYYYYYYPDPPPYYYYYYYYYYYYRRRRRR

Master
Rayman Origins

Post by Master » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:46 am

Doesn't sound too promising.

Matyuv
Gangsta Globox
Tings: 53281

Post by Matyuv » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:47 am

It's a really fun game, but it's poorly optimized.
MandM81 wrote:YYYYYYYRRRHLHLPYYYYYYPDPPPYYYYYYYYYYYYRRRRRR

Master
Rayman Origins

Post by Master » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:47 am

I guess it's to be expected, Source is pretty old at this point.

buildersith
Électoon
Tings: 0

Post by buildersith » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:14 am

Doesn't think the problem is so much with source being old and the fact Valve has updated tf2 so much its starting to buckle under the weight and/or valve's general lack of care. CS:GO barely drops below 300 fps, TF2 sometimes struggles to hit 60.

Playe d a little of the PC version of fallout shelter since it came out today. Still the same game I played a year ago pretty much, pretty shallow but decent enough timewaster, my vaults already in trouble though.
Bradandez wrote:I bought Overwatch last week and I'm gonna play it with Ikke today.
Funnilly enough I bought it last week on PC too, though I already had it on PS4 I feel like I'd enjoy it with a mouse and Keyboard more. Haven't had much chance to play the pc version yet though.
[steam: Buildersith][PSN: Buildersith]

Master
Rayman Origins

Post by Master » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:27 am

Meh, I kinda got bored with Fallout Shelter, it's fun to begin with, but then it just feels droll.

Keane
Globox
Tings: 145022

Post by Keane » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:19 am

I played the PS2 port of Half-Life today and, christ, it's kinda awful. It's actually a pretty upgraded port with an entire unique multiplayer mode and everything, but it's so obvious they tried to port a game build for PC onto a console and it just did not work. It's either too stiff or too sensitive, and simple things become insane bullshit.

I'm trying to beat it on hard mode too which is just ridiculous, but it's at least fun to just mess around with ironically. It looks like they did try to make it playable, but wow this manages to make one of my favourites into a complete shitfest.
Burgers float into my room...
[quote="Adsolution"]muse - showbiz (super mario sunshiner mario falling sound cover ending)[/quote]

buildersith
Électoon

Post by buildersith » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:37 pm

Keane wrote:I played the PS2 port of Half-Life today and, christ, it's kinda awful. It's actually a pretty upgraded port with an entire unique multiplayer mode and everything, but it's so obvious they tried to port a game build for PC onto a console and it just did not work. It's either too stiff or too sensitive, and simple things become insane bullshit.

I'm trying to beat it on hard mode too which is just ridiculous, but it's at least fun to just mess around with ironically. It looks like they did try to make it playable, but wow this manages to make one of my favourites into a complete shitfest.
The PS2 version of half life just seems like a novelty to me at this point, since the original is so old it can run on anything, as well as the fact that the upgraded graphics were added into the pc version later as an option, and even the new co-op mode you mentioned was ported to PC by fans.

I actually bought the ps2 version of Deus Ex a couple months ago and it suffers nearly identical problems, it added an graphical update for character models, but everything else looks like complete shit, and some of the levels were redesigned to be smaller presumably to cut down on loading times and genreally just for the ps2 to handle it. but the controls are clunky, the health system was simplified too (it went from limb damage to a overall health bar) and its just not nice to play.

Keane
Globox

Post by Keane » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:04 pm

I played Zelda Four Swords Adventure for the first time today and, I really really like this game. I kinda wish I had this back when it came out because it seems like it would've been an awesome introduction to the series back when the real titles were just a tad bit too difficult for me. Just the way this game looks, plays, flows, etc, I think this is a much better spin-off than Tri Force Heroes.
buildersith wrote:The PS2 version of half life just seems like a novelty to me at this point, since the original is so old it can run on anything, as well as the fact that the upgraded graphics were added into the pc version later as an option, and even the new co-op mode you mentioned was ported to PC by fans.

I actually bought the ps2 version of Deus Ex a couple months ago and it suffers nearly identical problems, it added an graphical update for character models, but everything else looks like complete shit, and some of the levels were redesigned to be smaller presumably to cut down on loading times and genreally just for the ps2 to handle it. but the controls are clunky, the health system was simplified too (it went from limb damage to a overall health bar) and its just not nice to play.
Yeah playing with a controller is just hitler hell, though I think the graphical updates are actually partially unique? The "HD" PC models I'm familiar with are still a little shittier than this port, though it gets ruined by the game looking blurry af on the PS2. G-Man is just pixel vomit the first time in the tram ride. The PC models make Barney look like a clay statue and the Kleiner looking scientists just have a solid texture in their eyeglasses lol.
[quote="Adsolution"]muse - showbiz (super mario sunshiner mario falling sound cover ending)[/quote]

Pirez
Ly
Tings: 97945

Post by Pirez » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:36 pm

So far, I'm really meh about Undertale. I can see the appeal, but for the "groundbreaking way of storytelling" and "general awesomeness that makes this game worth giving to the pope" I expected more. Most of the characters are flat and kinda cliché (only Sans and Papyrus escape this), the gameplay is surprisingly barren as you very rarely get random encounters, and overall I feel the game is trying to be more poetic than it actually is. Also, fuck Alphys. It may come together as I'm not at the end yet, but if this continues I might just get really bored and never bother.

The soundtrack is amazing, though...

buildersith
Électoon

Post by buildersith » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:46 pm

Recently played through a DooM 2 Total Conversion called Shadow of the wool ball, which is basically wolfenstein 3D, but with cats in place of Nazi's, A hedgehog in place of B.J. Blazkowicz, an intentionally cartoony art style, much less & much smaller levels than wolf 3D but with much more gameplay variety and fun levels than wolf 3D.

Plot is minimal & basic but does its job, Cats have kidnapped your girlfriend, go rescue her.
There are only 5 weapons: fists, pistol, shotgun, minigun and a stronger golden shotgun that does massive damage but has limmited ammo you can only get 2 ways, one of which is just by picking it up.
there are 3 epsiodes each episode being 5 maps long & having a different setting, a castle with a very familliar blue colour pallete, a spaceship, and a planet that is litterally a giant wool ball, that also looks kinda gross because it looks like the wool is pulsating. Levels take anywahere between 2 and 10 minutes each to complete. every few levels a new gameplay feature appears, sometimes only for that level, these include fans that push you in the direction their facing (usually towards danger), landmines and forcefields in the spaceship chapter that can be turned off, causing you to slowly be sucked into space which is an instakill if you let it happen. Each level also ends with a self destruct sequence, that gives you 10 seconds (though its really more like 15) to make a mad dash from the self destruct button to the exit, though the size of the levels means you usually have more than enough time.
One of my favourite levels is perhaps the gimmickiest, your put in an air tunnel filled with instakill barb wire walls for you to dodge, dodgem, hit the self destruct button, dodgem again but in reverse and thats the whole level.
As is generally par for the course with old school shooters, most levels have one or two secret areas, in sotwb they're usually hidden behind breakable walls that you'll recognise because in a sort of zelda style they're faintly cracked. In these secret areas you'll usually find the expected pools of health and ammo but also imprisoned hedgehogs, that you can rescue , and after theyre rescued they'll teleport away and leave behind ammo for your golden shotgun.
Levels are also littered with decoration objects, that can all be broken and usually give you a food item that restores some health.
Each episode ends with a boss fight, the first fight mimics the first boss from doom 1, except with 2 enemies that are basically stronger arachnotrons, also theyre called Bimmy and Jimmy. Epsiode 2 has the most original boss, being a drunk cat with a rocket launcher in a swivel chair. and the final boss is basically mecha hitler from wolf 3D but with the run speed of Usain Bolt.
Art is pretty good, textures might look a little too bland at times, but character design is pretty good, its very regular show-esque, its even listed in the credits as a major inspiration.
Sound is okay, Music from what I can tell is mostly original works and it nevr gets annoying but at the same time I'm struggling to remember what it even sounded like, voice acting is what it was described as on the mods forum page, a non-native english speaker speaking english, it all understandable and really it just adds to the cartoony charm of the art style, all the sound effects are from other games, the shotgun noise is from quake 2, there are lots of sounds from Rayman 2 and 3 actually.
This is one of the best DooM wads I've played, and I highly recommend it, really glad I gave it a try based on recognising the developer, MSPaintsRocks, you might recognise him to, except under the name MMMorshew, he's the same guy that was making Rayman DooM, that at least explains the use of Rayman sound effects.

incognito
Électoon

Post by incognito » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:51 pm

Another doom fan eh?
I'm still playing Doom 3 atm, I made some updates to the engine, RBDOOM3, holy shite, it looks better than Doom 4

buildersith
Électoon

Post by buildersith » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:21 pm

of course,DooM was one of the first games I ever played, I was way too young for it, and it was the ps1 version (granted the ps1 port was by far the best console version until last gen.)

Actually I've also played a DooM 3 mod recently too, called Doom 3 perfected. think of it like Doom 3's version of Brutal Doom, though its not as gory, its actually, most like Brutal Doom in terms of changes to weapons, making them feel more powerful. Pistol now actually sounds like a gun, and you can also dual-wield it. Shotgun now has a rapid fire-secondary fire, smg and chaingun have secondary fires that unload 20 bullets into whatever your aiming at simultaneously. Plasma rifle has like 4 alt-fiore modes, and I may be misremembering, but I believe the mod llso adds Ressurection of evils super shotgun into the vanilla campaign.
Despite the name though its far from perfect, my big gripes being the fact that the basic civvie zombies take a lot more damage than the armour wearing marine zombies ( though the marine zombies are much nmore likely to hit you and if your stand in the open absolutely shred your health, so theyre glass cannons which I guess is the explanation for them having such little health)
The mod is aslo a graphical Overhaul, mostly focused on lighting (which doom 3 already had a really nice lighting engine anyway) but its kinda poorly optimized and frame drops frequently, the added shoulder mounted flashlight seems bugged (it gets darker the closer you get to something) and it might be my imagination ,, lack of expirience with Vannilla doom 3 but it seems even darker than the already too dark original.

Its not perfected, but it offers a more traditional DooM expirience than Vanilla D3.

incognito
Électoon

Post by incognito » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:30 pm

Bfg edition ?

buildersith
Électoon

Post by buildersith » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:37 pm

BFG edition was the first version of Doom 3 I played, and even then I only played 5 hours of it, and I've never beat any version of DooM 3, I dubnno, DooM 3 is definitely the black sheep for me.

the mod I was talking about though is for Vanilla doom 3, I didn't even know BFG edition had mod compatibility. Unless I'm being stupid and it doesn't?

incognito
Électoon

Post by incognito » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:41 pm

The source code of the tweaked final engine was released, and is open source, many forks where made, I use RBDOOM3, it supports mods and extreme graphic overall, it looks like Doom 4 !
But the community cringes because the mod loading mechanic has changed a little bit, and requires extra work to be loaded.
But BFG edition doom ie fucking awesome.

Keane
Globox

Post by Keane » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:30 pm

Starting my yearly mario sunshine playthrough. I still think I like this one the best but, it's definitely not aging very well. I wish they did another one like this though, I like the idea of being able to explore these enormous areas freely better than some of the more linear level design of the modern games.