What games are you currently playing?

Talk about everything but Rayman!

Moderator: English moderators

Rayfist
Rayman 2
Posts: 12553
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:36 pm
Location: Right here, right now!
Tings: 176605

Re: What games are you currently playing?

Post by Rayfist »

I like OoT better personally, I still have never finished Majoras Mask simply because I'm holding out until Nintendo makes a 3DS remake, do it Nintendo.
Image
Steam PSN Youtube
Follow me on Twitter
Imco wrote:+ I just beat the hell out of my sister. That was great :D

Adsolution
Dora Dodemer
Posts: 21905
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:55 pm
Tings: 5007

Re: What games are you currently playing?

Post by Adsolution »

I like both Wind Waker and Twilight Princess more than Ocarina of Time (though really, they're all quite close). In fact, while Wind Waker was my favourite for the longest time, I think that Twilight Princess is starting to surpass it in my mind.

OoT is an absolutely fantastic memory, and it's one of the best experiences I've ever had playing a video game, but I feel it was too ahead of its time in that the then-current-generation console's capability seriously restricted much of the game's world design. The problem there is that it wouldn't have been as innovative if it had come out later, but its vast and annoyingly empty overworld especially could have benefited from it.
Rayfist wrote:I like OoT better personally, I still have never finished Majoras Mask simply because I'm holding out until Nintendo makes a 3DS remake, do it Nintendo.
The funny thing about Majora's Mask is that they decided to populate the overworld and make it infinitely more interesting to explore than the one in OoT... at the cost of almost all your frames - this game can get really quite laggy at times.

I mean it, whereas Ocarina excels in its dungeon design, progression and combat system, Majora's Mask has one of the best, most unforgettable, well-designed, interesting and atmospheric overworlds in any game I've ever played. It's way bigger than the one in Ocarina, it's far more populated (Termina for the win), each location is so unique and intricately detailed, and the forest areas especially are just magical.

OCG
Roméo Patti
Posts: 18552
Joined: Sat May 11, 2013 9:24 am
Location: RPC Pirate Ship
Contact:
Tings: 9820

Re: What games are you currently playing?

Post by OCG »

@Rayfist
It would sell good so I see no reason why not to make it. I am sure they will remake it. If not on 3DS, than on Wii U
Image
Image [YouTube] [Facebook] [Twitter] [DeviantART]

[Skype: アンドリヤ (OCG)] [Xbox Live: OldClassicGamer] [PSN: OldClassicGamer] [Steam: OldClassicGamer] [Nintendo Network ID: OldClassicGamer] [3DS FC: 0275-8128-3030]

Thank Mr. Skeltal Image

sonicbrawler182
Garatta Ciatik
Posts: 2150
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:09 pm
Location: Ireland
Tings: 11810

Re: What games are you currently playing?

Post by sonicbrawler182 »

OldClassicGamer wrote:Better than OOT?
I actually don't like the original OoT. It's amazing for it's time, and I respect it greatly, but I don't personally enjoy it in this day and age.
The 3DS remake however, is awesome. Fixes the gameplay issues I had with the original (which were the result of the N64's limitations to begin with). However, the problem with OoT in general for me, is that it doesn't pull me into it's world as much I want it to. I find myself enjoying it based on it's game mechanics alone, and I just love doing the dungeons and finding secrets, but the game doesn't have a lot of appealing character in my eyes. Everyone and everything is just sort of...there. And Link has no personality, at all. Like, whenever the game seems like it's trying to create some emotion (such as at the start, when Link departs for Hyrule Castle, and Saria sees him off), it just kind of falls flat when I watch Link standing there like a manikin. It kind of goes against Link's purpose as a character (to be the "link" between the player and the game's world and characters).

Basically, watch SomecallmeJohnny's review of OoT if you want my full thoughts on the game, as they are pretty much one to one with mine.

As for Wind Waker, not only do I enjoy the game mechanics more than OoT, but the game has SUCH an interesting world, and it's absolutely OOZING with character. And it has my favourite version of Link by far. While I have enjoyed every Zelda game I have played, Wind Waker (and more specifically, the HD version) is the first I didn't want to put down. The first I was hesitant to take a break from. The first that would be on my mind while I'm not playing the game. It just completely pulls me in and immerses me. I'd take it over games like Elder Scrolls and Mass Effect (which I'm not saying are bad games at all, they just never pulled me in).
Please check out my YouTube channel, specifically my Sonic Lost World "Talkthrough"!

"And that's how Mama became the most OP character in every game she appeared in!"
Image

Adsolution
Dora Dodemer
Posts: 21905
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:55 pm
Tings: 5007

Re: What games are you currently playing?

Post by Adsolution »

I completely disagree, I thought that they hit just the right mark of emotion and character in OoT. Link's basic interactions with the world I found to be very, very charming, the most notable scene of which I want to point out being when he's in the Hyrule Courtyard, sees Ganondorf for the first time and speaks to young Zelda. That entire scene is, in my eyes, literally perfect in every way. The pacing, the music, the cinematography, Link's childlike curiosity, the foreshadowing toward darker times, all of it is astoundingly executed. My favourite part of the game is when you first depart from the Forest and head out to Hyrule - Saria seeing Link off I also found to be a very peaceful, magical scene.

As for everything "just being sort of there", I again, could not agree less. Like you said, the gameplay mechanics are excellent, and I agree, but I also believe that what makes this game so good is that the presentation was just as excellent; everything is presented in such away so that it filled me with so much awe and wonder, and it made me feel as though I were part of a grand journey, from beginning to end. If you're wondering, I'm definitely not speaking out of nostalgia here, I never even played through the whole game until about two years ago. Rarely do games leave that much of an impact on me.

Aside from what I'd mentioned in my previous post, one other thing that bugs me is that the middle section of the game was a real bore compared to the first and final thirds. Sure, the Forest, Fire and Water temples were all excellently designed (funnily, the Water Temple is my favourite dungeon in the game), but they were all basically mirroring the first three dungeons, and there was little to no story going on whatsoever. That's the reason I can't deny that this game has so much character though, and why things certainly are not "just there", there was a notable absence of character in the middle section, and if the whole game were like that, I would likely agree with you.


I apologise for the vagueness of my reasoning, I'm a bit sick and can't properly explain my thoughts in detail.

sonicbrawler182
Garatta Ciatik
Posts: 2150
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:09 pm
Location: Ireland
Tings: 11810

Re: What games are you currently playing?

Post by sonicbrawler182 »

I personally didn't see anything special in any of OoT's cutscenes, but also never played the game at all near it's original release. I mean, there were a lot of times in OoT where I thought "oh hey, they may have something going here"...but then they just kind of drop the ball. I got stuck on the Forest Temple, and haven't played the game since, but if I'm honest, the reason I haven't come back to it is because the game never really pulled me in outside of it's game mechanics. I had no motivation to continue, really. And you telling me that I'm on the boring part of the game demotivates me further (I will finish the game one day, though).

Oh, and I forgot to mention - OoT DOES look nice to me, especially on the 3DS, it's just that nothing really stood out to me - the art style was pretty generic, and the locations, for the most part, didn't stick out to me.

And while I do agree on Ganon being well presented in the game (though he rarely isn't well presented, if ever), Link felt like a manikin most of the time. Like, I'm further into OoT than I am into Wind Waker, yet I have had way more moments where I felt Link was serving his purpose as the "link" between me and the game. Link is just far more believable in Wind Waker than OoT Link could ever hope to be (who felt like a generic "hero of destiny" to me). And he's like that right from the get go (I like how Link doesn't even like the Hero's Garb in Wind Waker, at least at the start).

I think I'd probably like OoT a lot more if other Zelda games like Wind Waker didn't exist - but they just accomplish everything I want from a fantasy adventure so much better for me than OoT does (especially Wind Waker). It's a shame, it makes me wish I had an N64 (among other reasons) when I was a kid.

SomecallmeJohnny basically summed up my big problem with OoT in his Majora's Mask review, by stating that, while Majora's Mask doesn't do much more with Link as a character than OoT did, it didn't matter, because the citizens of Termina were all really interesting and relatable. OoT, however, has far too many charcaters that feel like "just another NPC", to me. Sure, there are exceptions, but memorable and likeable characters are what should be the norm in a Zelda game, not the exception.

And of course, I'm not dissing people who DO find OoT immersive or anything like that, but I just really can't get sucked in. It's just not for me. Wind Waker, on the other hand, makes me feel right at home from the get go.
Please check out my YouTube channel, specifically my Sonic Lost World "Talkthrough"!

"And that's how Mama became the most OP character in every game she appeared in!"
Image

Dart
Aglagl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:04 pm
Location: The Realm Of Perpetual Sleepiness
Tings: 49835

Re: What games are you currently playing?

Post by Dart »

i see your point, i myself never had an N64 and didn't really make progress to the original game, but a do love a silent protagonist, just so i can mime words for them :D
ganon:I am the master of the triforce, nobody can stop me!
Me: hellooooo, i've beaten you how many times already, this'll be a walk in the park, ganonDORK! 8)
Image

sonicbrawler182
Garatta Ciatik
Posts: 2150
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:09 pm
Location: Ireland
Tings: 11810

Re: What games are you currently playing?

Post by sonicbrawler182 »

dartofthedavros wrote:i see your point, i myself never had an N64 and didn't really make progress to the original game, but a do love a silent protagonist, just so i can mime words for them :D
ganon:I am the master of the triforce, nobody can stop me!
Me: hellooooo, i've beaten you how many times already, this'll be a walk in the park, ganonDORK! 8)
I love silent protagonists too, but I like them to show some emotion through facial expressions and body language. It's what makes them so charming to me.

And yeah, imagining voices is also fun. I have a funny little voice for Toon Link!
Please check out my YouTube channel, specifically my Sonic Lost World "Talkthrough"!

"And that's how Mama became the most OP character in every game she appeared in!"
Image

Hoodcom
Bad Rayman
Posts: 37348
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 5:32 pm
Location: R̸̨̧̛̝͎͔̹͉̫̞͚͎͈̫̲̘͕̞͔̼̣͍̞̤̹̫̘̼͚̤̮̟͍̺̯͍̜̹͓̤͖͎͌̀̿͗̍͌̈́̿̿͑̄̀͌̒̅͛̄̾̈͠ͅayman Pirate-Community Lodge
Contact:
Tings: 493940

Re: What games are you currently playing?

Post by Hoodcom »

Lately I've been playing Batman Arkham Origins on my laptop, pretty good game so far. :)

Rayfist
Rayman 2
Posts: 12553
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:36 pm
Location: Right here, right now!
Tings: 176605

Re: What games are you currently playing?

Post by Rayfist »

Adsolution, I think your thoughts on the framerate in OoT will change a lot when playing the 3ds remake, same with MM if they make a remake for that. As for Majora's Mask, I feel shamed to say I've never completed it, but my reason for that is because I'm waiting for a remake rather than rushing and playing the game right now, it has to happen I'd think. And would probably sell well, since in high demand.
Image
Steam PSN Youtube
Follow me on Twitter
Imco wrote:+ I just beat the hell out of my sister. That was great :D

sonicbrawler182
Garatta Ciatik
Posts: 2150
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:09 pm
Location: Ireland
Tings: 11810

Re: What games are you currently playing?

Post by sonicbrawler182 »

Rayfist wrote:Adsolution, I think your thoughts on the framerate in OoT will change a lot when playing the 3ds remake, same with MM if they make a remake for that. As for Majora's Mask, I feel shamed to say I've never completed it, but my reason for that is because I'm waiting for a remake rather than rushing and playing the game right now, it has to happen I'd think. And would probably sell well, since in high demand.
Nintendo actually said that due to the success of OoT 3D, they'd strongly consider making Majora's Mask 3D once they finish the "new 3DS Zelda game".

That being, A Link Between Worlds (as they said this before revealing A Link Between Worlds).
Which is about to come out (if it hasn't already).

Similarly, they are considering making HD upgrades to Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword if Wind Waker HD is successful enough (which it has been so far). Mainly because, it only took them 6 months to develop Wind Waker HD.
Please check out my YouTube channel, specifically my Sonic Lost World "Talkthrough"!

"And that's how Mama became the most OP character in every game she appeared in!"
Image

Adsolution
Dora Dodemer
Posts: 21905
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:55 pm
Tings: 5007

Re: What games are you currently playing?

Post by Adsolution »

Rayfist wrote:Adsolution, I think your thoughts on the framerate in OoT will change a lot when playing the 3ds remake
You know I wasn't referring to OoT when I was talking about the framerate, rather Majora's Mask, right? Remember also that I have and have beaten the 3DS version. As for said 3DS version, I think they did a stellar job, it looks absolutely beautiful. The only problem I have with it is that the atmosphere was lost in a few select places, like the final battle, which I thought they completely screwed up. It's all bright and purple, it doesn't look nearly as breathtaking as the N64 one where half the point of it was that it was supposed to be dark.

Keane
Globox
Posts: 15054
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:06 am
Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI0cUxXDLdk
Tings: 145022

Re: What games are you currently playing?

Post by Keane »

I'm on Ad's side in this debate but I gotta admit that OoT hasn't really managed to pull me in enough for me to have ever beaten it. I'm sure I will eventually though. Often I'll buy a game and be excited for it and then after playing it twice I put it away and don't come back to it until a year later or so but then I usually enjoy them much more.
Burgers float into my room...
Image
[quote="Adsolution"]muse - showbiz (super mario sunshiner mario falling sound cover ending)[/quote]

Rayfist
Rayman 2
Posts: 12553
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:36 pm
Location: Right here, right now!
Tings: 176605

Re: What games are you currently playing?

Post by Rayfist »

Adsolution wrote:You know I wasn't referring to OoT when I was talking about the framerate, rather Majora's Mask, right?
Considering I was in school, I kind of skimmed through your post fast since I was doing something at the same time (sorry), either way my point is, if MM is remade on 3ds, I'm sure the Framerate issues will be nonexistant. Also I thought you hadn't played the 3DS version at all.

Ocarina of Time is my favorite Zelda game that being said, for me, it really just is the perfect Zelda game, but MM may top that if it's remade.
Image
Steam PSN Youtube
Follow me on Twitter
Imco wrote:+ I just beat the hell out of my sister. That was great :D

Master
Rayman Origins
Posts: 49982
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:14 am
Location: Somewhere specific, I'd assume.
Tings: 404000

Re: What games are you currently playing?

Post by Master »

Hm, you fellows think we could do with a Zelda thread? I created a thread for Metroid, which isn't as popular, but seeing this conversation, I think a thread on it could go far, if it doesn't already exist.

EDIT: It exists! http://raymanpc.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... a&start=20
Image

Rayfist
Rayman 2
Posts: 12553
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:36 pm
Location: Right here, right now!
Tings: 176605

Re: What games are you currently playing?

Post by Rayfist »

Bumped it to there to continue our conversation.
Image
Steam PSN Youtube
Follow me on Twitter
Imco wrote:+ I just beat the hell out of my sister. That was great :D

Bradandez
Globox
Posts: 18589
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:50 am
Tings: 137530

Re: What games are you currently playing?

Post by Bradandez »

Just played the TF2 Halloween event. It was okay. Not as good as last year's.

OCG
Roméo Patti
Posts: 18552
Joined: Sat May 11, 2013 9:24 am
Location: RPC Pirate Ship
Contact:
Tings: 9820

Re: What games are you currently playing?

Post by OCG »

Played a bit of Sonic Heroes on Wii.
Image
Image [YouTube] [Facebook] [Twitter] [DeviantART]

[Skype: アンドリヤ (OCG)] [Xbox Live: OldClassicGamer] [PSN: OldClassicGamer] [Steam: OldClassicGamer] [Nintendo Network ID: OldClassicGamer] [3DS FC: 0275-8128-3030]

Thank Mr. Skeltal Image

Master
Rayman Origins
Posts: 49982
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:14 am
Location: Somewhere specific, I'd assume.
Tings: 404000

Re: What games are you currently playing?

Post by Master »

Meh, might go on hangouts and play some more Old School Runescape while I can.
Image

abhinav
Henchman 1000
Posts: 453
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 10:52 am
Location: India
Contact:
Tings: 8067

Re: What games are you currently playing?

Post by abhinav »

Playing Skyward Sword and I fought Koloktos for the first time today. I was definitely looking forward to fighting this boss and I enjoyed it. I even created a backup save so I can go fight it again and again whenever I feel like. :P

As much of a masterpiece Ocarina of Time is and will always be, in my opinion Skyward Sword has surpassed it.
OldClassicGamer wrote:Played a bit of Sonic Heroes on Wii.
I have to say I am impressed with the Gamecube version of Sonic Heroes. I had played the PC and PS2 versions before but always wanted to give the GC version a try and it is really nice to see things running real smooth and no drop in frame rate so far.

Also tried a little Halo 4 on an Xbox 360 at a gaming cafe nearby. The visuals seem very nice but the gameplay seemed very repetitive. Still, I had fun.
Image
Current gaming platforms: PS2, Gamecube, Wii, Xbox 360, PSP, DS, GBA and PC

Post Reply