Rayman: Revenge of the Dark

Show off your arty creativity here! Post fanfics, paintings, drawings, and anything Rayman that you have made!

Moderator: English moderators

Shrooblord
Froutch
Tings: 64535

Re: Rayman: Revenge of the Dark [STRESSTEST DOWNLOAD]

Post by Shrooblord »

beebo44 wrote:EDIT2: The post has now been fixed up. Hope no-one saw the mess it was before...
I think you got away unscathed. ;)

The drawings have some nice ideas worked into them. I'm not sure if the Game Over screen would work really well, but it could; it all depends on how exactly it's implemented. Something like that was done for the GBC version of Rayman, and that worked pretty nicely, so it can be done.
Also, concerning hands, the best thing I've learnt to do is just study my own, either by simply looking at them or by looking at them in a mirror (and remembering that everything is flipped when you look into a mirror). I'd position my hand in the pose I wanted to draw it in and then imagine how that would look to another person viewing it from the perspective I wanted them to view it in. Ocassionally, I still have to solve a difficult perspective challenge this way.
Play Rayman Arena (PC) online with friends~!
Dart wrote:Sometimes life just comes out of nowhere and demands a lot of your attention.

Decidetto
Garatta Ciatik
Tings: 12315

Post by Decidetto »

That happens to be the exact same way I draw hands :P

EDIT:
I have an idea for the health bar system, so I made a little mock up, of it. I drew the health bar in Colors! 3D and then slapped an extremely low-resolution screenshot on it :P
This is kind of a cross between the Rayman 1 and Rayman 2/3 system.
The red dots are Rayman's life. Each hit means the loss of 1 dot. The life bar can be extended though, like in the later Rayman games. The green dots serve as the extension. Perhaps every green dot can signify that you have a whole "red-dot-lifebar" in reserve. The area behind the green dots is semi-transparent and has a slight purple hue. This would also be the relative size on-screen.
What do you think? (Excuse the bad aliasing, it's about the idea ;))
Computers, computers. So calculative, yet so incalculable.

Bloodgrey
Ptizêtre Vert
Tings: 1165

Post by Bloodgrey »

RayFan9876 wrote: Here's a little test audio conversation between Rayman and Rhook from the script: http://soundcloud.com/rayfan9876-absolu ... ook-rayman
Sounds are nice, however you have to balance Rhook's accent to be only characteristic and not incomprehensible, sometimes his tone makes it the later also.

Adsolution
Dora Dodemer
Tings: 5007

Post by Adsolution »

@Beebo:
Ah yes, I remember those! I like the way you got Rayman peering over the edge of the mountain. I know exactly what you were getting at.

About the Game Over screen, I won't end up doing something like that. I think it's sort of cheesy, and it also assumes what happens. You'll just get a black screen most likely, and then you'll have the option to restart.

@Bloodgrey:
I'll certainly work on that. Do you think subtitles should be a mandatory inclusion like in Rayman 2, or should they be optional?

@Decidetto:
Very neat idea, I see it having potential here. :) It could very well benefit the style here, since the combat is much more strategic than the previous games, namely because one of the main ways to fight is at close range combat, where you can block/counter/combo and all that (I've decided to incorporate a scoring system). Other methods would include winding up a shot from any range within about 5-7 metres, which could either be used separately, or right after having stunned an enemy; it's your choice. Lastly, after you receive the Magic Fist from Ly, you can launch energy shots at your foes like in Rayman 2. However, the energy shots run on a sort of autorechargeable ammo system (which I've mentioned before, but nowhere prominent). They can be charged on a progressive scale, as can the winding fist, unlike in Rayman 2 where there were only two levels of charge. The Magic Fist can be upgraded at Joe's (with tings) to fire at a higher frequency (via two hands, like in Revolution), for them to literally travel at a much faster velocity, and for them to bounce (which are all separate upgrades).

How would this health system benefit? I originally planned for a health bar, though given the way the combat works together with the damage taken, I think something point-based might work much better. Harsh situations like falling in lava or getting hit by something massive would result in Rayman losing a whole green orb. In fact, I'm going to make it into a Scaleform flash system right now... unless it would need some background C++/LUA coding, in which case I'll have to wait for Patrick or DesLife to be free.

Shrooblord
Froutch

Post by Shrooblord »

Sounds like some good ideas, RayFan. I like the healthpoints idea too. Regarding the subtitles, they should definately be optional. Have them on by default, but allow the gamers to choose whether they want to see them or not. In Rayman 2 it worked, because that part of the screen was never filled in cinematics anyway, so it was just some sort of screen filler in those versions where the characters were voice cast. Of course, in the Raymanian versions, it was kind of useful to have the subtitles, but let's not go there.

Unless you plan to do a similar letterbox configuration in your cinematics, I'd leave the option to have subs up to the player.
Dart wrote:Sometimes life just comes out of nowhere and demands a lot of your attention.

TeensieKing
Pâquerette
Tings: 12809

Post by TeensieKing »

That idea for the life system is brilliant, you should be proud.

Decidetto
Garatta Ciatik

Post by Decidetto »

This combat system sounds like a lot of fun :) Did you draw inspiration from Rayman Origins, with the close-range combat and option for a slightly longer ranged charge-up attack?
RayFan9876 wrote:How would this health system benefit?
Is this a direct question for me, or was your intention to answer it yourself in the following paragraph? You got me kind of confused here :roll:.

Big things taking a green orb (in effect, a whole life bar) would be a great idea.
If you fall into a bottomless pit or into lava (etc.), is Rayman going to disappear, lose health, then reappear at the last checkpoint? I'm asking this because I think the way they handled lava and acid in Rayman 3 was really silly, with him bouncing around on it :P (and the single bottomless pit in that game being an instant game over was pretty stupid too).
RayFan9876 wrote:In fact, I'm going to make it into a Scaleform flash system right now... unless it would need some background C++/LUA coding, in which case I'll have to wait for Patrick or DesLife to be free.
:confus: :confus: :confus:
TeensieKing wrote:That idea for the life system is brilliant, you should be proud.
Thanks, but I am not certain if you mean me, RayFan, or us both, due to the terrific multi-meaning nature of the word "you" and us both contributing to the idea.
By the way, I like your new sig. Nice and hyperactive. :wink:

(Sorry for this huge editfest, I happen to change my mind a lot :P)

Adsolution
Dora Dodemer

Post by Adsolution »

Decidetto wrote:Is this a direct question for me, or was your intention to answer it yourself in the following paragraph? You got me kind of confused here :roll:.
I was answering it in my own paragraph.
Decidetto wrote:If you fall into a bottomless pit or into lava (etc.), is Rayman going to disappear, lose health, then reappear at the last checkpoint? I'm asking this because I think the way they handled lava and acid in Rayman 3 was really silly, with him bouncing around on it :P (and the single bottomless pit in that game being an instant game over was pretty stupid too).
Haha, don't worry, it works like Rayman 2. Most things in this do.
Decidetto wrote:This combat system sounds like a lot of fun :) Did you draw inspiration from Rayman Origins, with the close-range combat and option for a slightly longer ranged charge-up attack?
I did draw a lot of inspiration from Origins, and the idle punching animations will actually be almost direct replicas of those in Origins. I can visualise it working perfectly.

Decidetto
Garatta Ciatik

Post by Decidetto »

RayFan9876 wrote:I did draw a lot of inspiration from Origins, and the idle punching animations will actually be almost direct replicas of those in Origins. I can visualise it working perfectly.
Cool! :mryellow:

beebo44
Sssam
Tings: 31100

Post by beebo44 »

Shrooblord wrote:
beebo44 wrote:EDIT2: The post has now been fixed up. Hope no-one saw the mess it was before...
I think you got away unscathed. ;)

The drawings have some nice ideas worked into them. I'm not sure if the Game Over screen would work really well, but it could; it all depends on how exactly it's implemented. Something like that was done for the GBC version of Rayman, and that worked pretty nicely, so it can be done.
Also, concerning hands, the best thing I've learnt to do is just study my own, either by simply looking at them or by looking at them in a mirror (and remembering that everything is flipped when you look into a mirror). I'd position my hand in the pose I wanted to draw it in and then imagine how that would look to another person viewing it from the perspective I wanted them to view it in. Ocassionally, I still have to solve a difficult perspective challenge this way.
Thanks for the tips Shroobie, I'll make sure I use them later. In fact, I'll probably need it for the next sketch I'm thinking up. I'll give you five words as to what it'll be about. Shutter Cave, Firefly, Cave Spiders. :mryellow:
RayFan9876 wrote:@Beebo:
Ah yes, I remember those! I like the way you got Rayman peering over the edge of the mountain. I know exactly what you were getting at.

About the Game Over screen, I won't end up doing something like that. I think it's sort of cheesy, and it also assumes what happens. You'll just get a black screen most likely, and then you'll have the option to restart.
In the Mount Kollapso sketch, you see how there's like a path to the mountain with rocks sticking out from all sides. I was thinking of a way of introducing Rayman to the Stonemen. When Rayman looked at Mount Kollapso he could see shadows on the mountain's surface. Then as he followed the path he could become ambushed by a few Stonemen.
Adsolution wrote:
saerleiya wrote:(…)it ;).
Here's the real doldrum, you put your emoticon before your period. Wtf?

Bloodgrey
Ptizêtre Vert

Post by Bloodgrey »

RayFan9876 wrote:
@Bloodgrey:
I'll certainly work on that. Do you think subtitles should be a mandatory inclusion like in Rayman 2, or should they be optional?
Depends on the voice work, if the voice actors articulate well, then optional subtitles are enough as an an addition.
I'm sure it's much harden when you have to play out an accent for the character.
Last edited by Bloodgrey on Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bloodgrey
Ptizêtre Vert

Post by Bloodgrey »

Whoops accidental double post.

Adsolution
Dora Dodemer

Post by Adsolution »

Bloodgrey wrote:Depends on the voice work, if the voice actors articulate well, then optional subtitles are enough as an an addition.
I'm sure it's much harden when you have to play out an accent for the character.
It's not so much the accent that's the problem, it's Rhook's voice in general. It's really difficult to do, and I can only do it after a good fifteen minute warm up, and I can only do it for about five or ten minutes at a time. I'll just have to work for a long time on it until I won't have to go to so much trouble. :mryellow:

Shrooblord
Froutch

Post by Shrooblord »

By the way, has anyone else posted the results from their stresstest? Maybe you should advertise that a bit more now that there's some new members who got interested in your project. You still need the data, right?

Decidetto
Garatta Ciatik

Post by Decidetto »

Well, seeing how I have an utterly sucky netbook, my stresstest results are not going to help you even a bit :proud:

Your Rhook voice is absolutely fantastic and because he speaks rather slowly, I think subtitles aren't really a necessity since you have a few seconds to think about what he just said. So even if it wasn't crystal clear, you'll have it figured out before he continues.
Optional subtitles, however, would be the way to go, I think. In Rayman 3, I usually had no trouble understanding what was said, but in some scenarios (especially those concerning Motor Mouth Murphy) I would have wished there were optional subtitles.

Tortwag
Bébé Chef Dragon
Tings: 255

Post by Tortwag »

Hi folks! I'm back for a few minutes. My net and last exam is tommorow, so I'll be active during vacations. Sorry for not sharing any ideas for now... I feel useless now :sad: , BUT... I will not fall in despair! I finished some ideas for the lava part of the volcano, and I'll share them tomorow.

For all the ideas I sawe until now.
-First of all, the Rhook voice was incredible: it sounded like me when I was immitating Dark Vador, but In better^^ :mryellow: WAY better :hehe:
-Now, for the life points idea. That's a good idea too, congrats Decidetto! It's cool that we fans can help for such a great project with idea^^ I won't be so useless during Summer holidays, I say it again folks.
-Beebo, your drawings can give good ideas, I really like them^^
-the optional subtitles is the best way to do things, indeed. The player is the king, right? It's better if he can do what he wants. Not always, but for the subtitles, I think it's better.
-I didn't thought you'll make a Combo system Rayfan! Added with the long range from Rayman 2, it's gonna be epic! Also, I wonder if you have added something from Rayman 3.
Let me explan. In Rayman 3, many times, you're in an ambush hoodlum camp, which means some of them attack you out of nowhere and uses their guns at you. And thus the battle begin.

If ennemeis act like that, it would be interesting, because the fight would start with a long rage fight first. And the, the foes would jump to rayman for close range combat. Do you think it's a good idea?
Tortwag - Character design + Sub-plots

TeensieKing
Pâquerette
Tings: 12809

Post by TeensieKing »

I think subtitles should be a mandatory thing. I can't perfectly understand spoken English so I could end up not understand important parts of the story. However, I do understand writen English almost perfectly.

Decidetto
Garatta Ciatik

Post by Decidetto »

Some people do want them, some people don't mind them, some people really don't want them. I think it is indeed, just as Tortwag said, best to make the whole thing optional and this way please everyone. After all, the customer is king! :P

(Sorry if I am sounding bossy :oops: I'm not intending it that way. It is your project, RayFan!)

Tortwag
Bébé Chef Dragon
Tings: 255

Post by Tortwag »

I don't think she mind about that... Byt the way Rayfan! I listened ALL of your soundtracks: I can't wait to listen to them in the game! You are really talented for this^^

Also... MY EXAMS ARE OVER FOLKS!! NO MORE SHOOL!! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAYY!!

I can finally be little more active^^ I'll just rest a little bit and after that... Let's get serious!! :twisted:
Tortwag - Character design + Sub-plots

Decidetto
Garatta Ciatik

Post by Decidetto »

Yay, congratulations on finishing your exams, Tortwag! Do you think you did them well enough?