Rayman: Revenge of the Dark

Show off your arty creativity here! Post fanfics, paintings, drawings, and anything Rayman that you have made!

Moderator: English moderators

Shrooblord
Froutch
Tings: 64535

Re: Rayman: Revenge of the Dark

Post by Shrooblord » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:27 pm

I must say I love the atmosphere - how the Lums are illuminated by the moonlight and how they move about almost arbitrarily, like they just go where they please. Great work!

However, the perfectly in-synch movement (and thus sound) of the Nettles feels a bit weird to me. Even if the tendrils are all part of one bigger plant, it would probably not move them in unison, no?
But it's still excellent work! The atmosphere you capture in only 45 seconds of video is not of sorts I can describe with words. It's just... well... it's that.
Play Rayman Arena (PC) online with friends~!
Dart wrote:Sometimes life just comes out of nowhere and demands a lot of your attention.

Adsolution
Dora Dodemer
Tings: 5007

Post by Adsolution » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:13 am

Thanks, ja! The in-sync movement was actually a fluke in the recording, since they actually start and play at random speeds. I'm actually working on two more animations for them, so they'll have a total of three different animations they'll play at random when 'idle swooshing.'

Also, I was working on this little thing for a bit less than an hour between doing other things: https://soundcloud.com/rayfan9876-absol ... remake-wip

It's a remake of the Walking Shell theme. I did it rather quickly and lazily, but I'm planning on putting more effort into it later and perhaps including it somewhere in ROTD.

Haruka
Rayman 2
Tings: 178780

Post by Haruka » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:32 pm

I love the Walking Shell remix! :o I admit at first it sounded like an hypermarket music but after I liked the heavy piano tunes with the trumpets. That's was great! :D

Master
Rayman Origins
Tings: 404000

Post by Master » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:57 pm

It'll be interesting to see those little critters again.
It sounds pretty decent, though I could've sworn I heard a part from the Canopy.

Shrooblord
Froutch

Post by Shrooblord » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:47 am

y u have all the same ideas as me
mebbe we're just both orsum

No but really, good job! I feel it needs to be a little more upbeat, though.
Dart wrote:Sometimes life just comes out of nowhere and demands a lot of your attention.

Adsolution
Dora Dodemer

Post by Adsolution » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:45 am

I was actually mixing on a pair of semi-broken headphones, which would account for the bass being way too loud, it having almost no treble and other things of the sort. :P

Also, thanks to our new recruit techDude, he's programmed a custom ting entity! These differ from the ones seen in a previous video; those back then were faked. These are the real thing:

Snagglebee
Premier Grand Mini
Tings: 2675

Post by Snagglebee » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:59 am

Adsolution wrote:
Teh video is not available right nwo :/

But I realy want to see all of your greate work!

Danone
Antitoon
Tings: 0

Post by Danone » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:01 pm

Here is the video:

Shrooblord
Froutch

Post by Shrooblord » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:34 pm

Ahahaha that's excellent! Good you got that working.

So - are you planning to add custom melodies to the way you collect Tings, like you did here, so you can eventually hear some kind of music if you collect them all in the right order and with the right timing? Do Tings reset when you revisit a level?

Adsolution
Dora Dodemer

Post by Adsolution » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:40 pm

The tings don't reset - they're like yellow lums. Having them play a melody when running through them is the general idea, but won't always be the case. For the most part of will be like Rayman 1 where they're just an assortment of fitting notes, but once in a while you'll get a nice melody.

Minor-T5
Deadman
Tings: 5619

Post by Minor-T5 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:47 pm

I like the music that plays when you collect the tings. Great job, Ad.

Shrooblord
Froutch

Post by Shrooblord » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:58 pm

Ah ok. I was just wondering since you most obviously fitted a song into these once, if this would be the general gist of things throughout the game.
Maybe you can have a special stage where that is in fact the case? Like one of those sidequest race games with Ly in Rayman 2 - the Walks of Life and Power.

Danone
Antitoon
Tings: 0

Post by Danone » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:36 pm

Anyways I like that work to be honest, well made.

Snagglebee
Premier Grand Mini
Tings: 2675

Post by Snagglebee » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:27 pm

Cool ! I like the fact that those tings are almost animated like Rayman 1.

Master
Rayman Origins
Tings: 404000

Post by Master » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:46 pm

Ah, replicating the tunes that tings played when collected in succession, a very nice touch indeed.

Droolie
Oumbr
Tings: 54355

Post by Droolie » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:00 pm

I really like how you made the Tings act like they do in Rayman 1 (the PSX version at least). I remember having a similar system in place back in the Eclipse days, but this is just better. I also love the nettles and especially the lums in the background in your previous video. Awesome! ^^

Haruka
Rayman 2
Tings: 178780

Post by Haruka » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:28 pm

Awesome stuff! We got Tingrolled. :P

Rayfist
Rayman 2
Tings: 176605

Post by Rayfist » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:39 pm

Adsolution wrote:The tings don't reset - they're like yellow lums. Having them play a melody when running through them is the general idea, but won't always be the case. For the most part of will be like Rayman 1 where they're just an assortment of fitting notes, but once in a while you'll get a nice melody.
This is why I prefer the ting noises in Rayman 1 for the ps1/Saturn much more then the pc,gba, and DSI version, the ting sound effect on Rayman 1 sounds so colorful, I just love it, has such a beautiful charm to it, the others in comparison to the PS1 and Saturn version felt bland :C
Steam PSN Youtube
Follow me on Twitter
Imco wrote:+ I just beat the hell out of my sister. That was great :D

saerleiya
Dora Dodemer
Tings: 5782

Post by saerleiya » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:25 pm

Aw, lot of stuff since the last time I took a look at this topic ('ve not been on RPC for a while, thanks to ME1 and 2 derwp :P).

- About Lackin :
perfectly done. For a first animation of a quadruped, it looks pretty realistic, and not too much at the same time (well, a "realistic" animation for a game like Rayman). His/her look is very cute and I liked the equilibrium between the colors and their rate on the skin of the Lackin. The movement of the antennas (fuk reverso) is also quite well done as they oscillate in coordination with the movement of the body.

- Nettles (completed) :
They are so scary. I noticed in the first video the dust some seconds after the nettle appears. Did you make it on purpose or is it just CE3 ? The idea of several textures is very interesting too :)...can't wait !

- Walking shell theme :
You can make it longer and change the bass, but I liked the retro aspect it has because of the fact you made it quickly. Maybe you could consider making a complete version and a more retro version of it for two different parts of the game where you could use it in different ambiances. The problem I found in Rayman 2 about the walking shell theme is that it's too repetitive through the different worlds you use it. I found it a bit inappropriated in The Sanctuary of Stone and Fire, while totally fitting the environment in The Menhirs' Hill (maybe due to the menhirs :D).

- Tingrolled :
If you want to use some timers on tings (why not ?) as for red lums in R2 this could be really funny. Wait, you could use it as a sequence of notes in The Mountains in order to open a secret way or a door. hey I would find it cool...

Sorry for being late in what I think about all this new stuff. Keep going ;).
Adsolution wrote:
saerleiya wrote:RayFag'
Aahh, you're exposing my Rule34 account.

Shrooblord
Froutch

Post by Shrooblord » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:29 pm

saerleiya wrote:Wait, you could use it as a sequence of notes in The Mountains in order to open a secret way or a door. hey I would find it cool...
That's a great idea! You'd have a full area of Tings that you have to collect in the right order to create a melody, but if you run out of time, they will disappear and you will fail to open the passage. Then you can reset the timer, making all already collected Tings reappear too, so you really do have to collect all of them in the right order no matter how many times you try.

That could lead to some interesting platforming puzzles.