Rayman: Revenge of the Dark

Show off your arty creativity here! Post fanfics, paintings, drawings, and anything Rayman that you have made!

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Czele
Antitoon
Tings: 15

Re: Rayman: Revenge of the Dark

Post by Czele »

Adsolution wrote:yeap

ok sliding physics, how about 0:58?
In my opinion, that jump isn't intuitively. This platform is very steep in the position where you have jumped and for me, that jump should be more horizontally. Maybe adding some rubbery terrain or spring-loaded stuff could help me feel better :P. The rest is awesome!

babay!
Adsolution
Aline Louïa
Tings: 106718

Post by Adsolution »

yes, you're right! My thought process was that he would be pushing down and towards the wall, so he would be able to make that kind of a jump (basically a wall-jump), but not at this low friction/speed.

also I'll just re-quote the video post becsuse new page:
Adsolution wrote:yeap

ok sliding physics, how about 0:58?
Droolie
Mr Sax
Tings: 61830

Post by Droolie »

Looking good, great even! The only thing that I found odd was Rayman's behavior on the platform at 1:07 and afterwards. It seems he goes up a bit along the edges of the model and gains momentum from it, which I think he shouldn't, or not to that extent. It's a bit weird that he'd gain enough momentum for that super long jump at the end too. I feel like that's a platform he should have fallen off of before reaching the end based on the momentum he had from the previous jump.
Adsolution
Aline Louïa

Post by Adsolution »

Drolpiraat wrote:It seems he goes up a bit along the edges of the model and gains momentum from it, which I think he shouldn't, or not to that extent.
I've actually fixed that since the video was posted. The issue was that, while the hills would accelerate him based on their normal, they were disregarding his Z velocity gained from being in the air, which is always 0 while on the ground. His XYZ air velocity now gets correctly reflected into his new ground XY velocity when landing.

For a while I was trying to make his ground-Z movement entirely physics-based (rather than just letting the ground raycast snap him to the right level), but that became way too fiddly and constantly got in the way of trying to make things playable and fun.
Drolpiraat wrote:It's a bit weird that he'd gain enough momentum for that super long jump at the end too. I feel like that's a platform he should have fallen off of before reaching the end based on the momentum he had from the previous jump.
While sliding you can steer left and right, which can give you enough of an edge to pick up the speed from the slope while counter-acting it enough to not fall into the centre. It doesn't make physical sense since Rayman doesn't have rockets on his sides, but it sure is fun. Also, when jumping, he gains additional velocity since he's pushing off the slope he's sliding down at an angle.
Jellu
Électoon
Tings: 5

Post by Jellu »

It looks great, and the game will be implemented "flutter"?
Ambidextroid
Mini Jano
Tings: 675

Post by Ambidextroid »

Those physics look a lot of fun to play around with :P
Are you planning on adding any new actions to increase his movability, perhaps akin to the cap throw in Mario Odyssey? Maybe some move that employs Rayman’s hair mid-air in a way other than for hovering up/down?
U2B
Tribelle
Tings: 285

Post by U2B »

Are you relying more on the engine embedded physics or you heavily write your own mechanics? What are the details of this mechanics - part of engine's physics or everything done by yourself? :) It would be nice to see some animations later to see the dynamics of Rayman's movement :) Anyway, I'm amazed by the amount of effort and time spent at this project, Adsolution :)
Rayman 2-like fan-game in Unity (my project)
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=25903
Adsolution
Aline Louïa

Post by Adsolution »

Ambidextroid wrote:Those physics look a lot of fun to play around with :P
Are you planning on adding any new actions to increase his movability, perhaps akin to the cap throw in Mario Odyssey? Maybe some move that employs Rayman’s hair mid-air in a way other than for hovering up/down?
I was planning on adding some new uses for the helicopter, yep! He has a lot of other useful moves too which you can string together to create non-stop movement, such as my personal favourite: the ability to flip up and kick forward from a ledgegrab, which, in addition to providing you with extra speed if you do it immediately after grabbing the ledge, also knocks enemies back. In motion it looks like a parkour system, but it's just snappy mechanics playing off each other!

(Both helicopter and ledgegrab have been implemented since that video - still animation-less!)
U2B wrote:Are you relying more on the engine embedded physics or you heavily write your own mechanics? What are the details of this mechanics - part of engine's physics or everything done by yourself? :)
Everything is done from scratch. I really don't like it when platformers rely on an engine's integrated physics for the player's mechanics, because they provide virtually no flexibility. It's okay in a shooter or a genre where the player's movement isn't so intricate, but the platforming here wouldn't feel nearly as precise or agile as it does currently if I'd used a basic capsule collider or something.

wee raycasts
Pipann
Bzzit
Tings: 58710

Post by Pipann »

https://sketchfab.com/models/c976b8984c ... 91ff6a8cd6

Using my sketchfab to showcase ramone prograss, look forward for more to come (hey hunch we should integrate sketchfab preview)

animation loop is a work in grobrass
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
pelicanfuture
Antitoon
Tings: 5

Post by pelicanfuture »

I heard somewhere that this will be out on the Wii u, is that true or not (so I can know to get my hopes up or not)
Adsolution
Aline Louïa

Post by Adsolution »

pelicanfuture wrote:I heard somewhere that this will be out on the Wii u, is that true or not (so I can know to get my hopes up or not)
Definitely not. The engine does natively run on the Wii U because of Sonic Boom, but there's no point trying to get it to perform well on last-gen hardware in a dead console.

Also, I'll just post this because idk if I'll ever actually finish it (I last touched it a year ago) - Rayman saving the toddler nymphs from an airship in the second last level:

Greeness
Aurora
Tings: 17030

Post by Greeness »

Looks good, although who's airship?
I recall you saying that the Robo-Pirates are only going to make an appearance as a completion bonus.
Rare Rayman images Drive folder:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Feel free to share any rare media that's missing.
Harpic fraîcheur
Lums
Tings: 30

Post by Harpic fraîcheur »

I like that art style too. :)
Une nouvelle vague de fraîcheur, Harpic fraîcheur verte ! :D
Image Image
Adsolution
Aline Louïa

Post by Adsolution »

thamk !
Greeness wrote:Looks good, although who's airship?
The general/salesman dude from Rayman 2, who's the boss of the level. I like the idea of him showing up in different roles (even different series: Tonic Trouble) to do absolutely anything as long as he's paid. Here he's commanding the recently completed warship, which is basically a Death Star-type thing, something you only find out about later, which, like everything else Dark Rayman has done, is only done for the sake of luring Rayman to him. The more mass destruction he can cause, the faster Rayman will come, and the sooner he can off himself by coming into contact.
Greeness wrote:I recall you saying that the Robo-Pirates are only going to make an appearance as a completion bonus.
Yah - you'll get to play the intro described in the Rayman 2 manual, before everyone gets captured.
Ambidextroid
Mini Jano
Tings: 675

Post by Ambidextroid »

I just nodded off while reading this topic on my phone and had a dream in which I was playing RotD :fou:
Anyway, I was wondering if there were going to be any non-platformer levels/sections in the game, and what form they would take? I'm talking about things like the snowboarding, aircraft and pirate ship sections in R3 or the walking shell courses in 2.
Adsolution
Aline Louïa

Post by Adsolution »

lol!

I'm generally wanting to avoid exclusive gimmick sections altogether. There will be two obligatory Moskito sequences, but the first one is very easy, and you'll have lots of time to practice riding him in the few open-world levels scattered around the game before it's revisited in the final boss again. Kind of like in Odyssey (though I've actually had the idea for a long time), once you complete the "story" part of those open-world levels, you unlock Moskito to free-fly around in them to make collecting all the tings easier. You can't fly around every nook and cranny, but it'll be enough to make it so you don't have to spend ages recovering if you fall or just want to get somewhere quickly, since these levels are just as vertical as they are wide for the most part. I guess it's also a similar concept to the cannons in Super Mario 64.

You'll also run into a couple other animals you can ride, like that hunchback camel thing whose hair you see get eaten up in the Rayman 3 intro (why can't I remember the name?), spiders, and so on. Though the latter is much more closely-integrated with the game's actual mechanics since you're essentially just standing on it like a platform that you can control.

I'm wanting to introduce a different gameplay or platforming concept in most levels to keep things fresh and interesting. Rayman's core moveset is extremely robust, meaning I can stretch out introducing a lot of these challenges and ideas across the whole game without it getting repetitive or constantly introducing new mechanics (well, maybe the first two thirds, after which I can just revisit much harder versions of pre-existing concepts). A couple pivotal new mechanics will be introduced throughout like the magic fist and the purple lum power, but the latter especially serves so much more of a purpose than it did before, as it can be used anywhere, including in combat.

The closest thing to any of those you mentioned would probably be a brief sequence where you ride Rhook (god/guardian of time) out of the Temporal Palace, but he steers automatically and you only have to dodge up/down/left/right. It's meant to be more of a visual showcase, so better to keep things simple.

Also, the exciting thing about this is all is that I can say almost for sure that you guys'll have a playable prototype this year. It'll just be a test area, but you'll also have the ability to place your own blocks and platforms as well (all doable with a controller).
Master
Rayman 1
Tings: 404084

Post by Master »

A playable prototype? I know you've been very stringent when it comes to the control and feel, being able to experience the outcome of all that effort sounds pretty exciting. It's been too long since I've properly faffed about in a new 3D Rayman paradigm.
Adsolution
Aline Louïa

Post by Adsolution »

I'm excited to experience it too! Given how I'm making the animation system so dynamic, just the animating itself (at least on Rayman) is a far more daunting task than it would be in most projects, which is why I'm not excluding the possibility of it taking till next year if, say, things don't work out properly or I get extremely nauseated having to animate so much and need a break - but it's definitely a realistic timeframe, timeframes being something I've had forever to actually get good at predicting. Results can usually keep someone moving forward though, and I've had nothing but results since last Summer.

The part I'm looking forward to the most is doing all the sound design for the footsteps and whatnot, integrating them with the audio system, and the particle effects. I don't recall if I'd mentioned this before, but I'll be investing in a binaural mic setup so I can record the most realistic, immersive sounding ambience you've ever heard. I'll then apply various effects to them to even give forest or plains ambience a sweeping, unearthly, dream-like feel.
CoffeeNeko
Gandalf
Tings: 4106

Post by CoffeeNeko »

Just passing by to give ad and its team some encouragements. :mrgreen:
Greeness
Aurora
Tings: 17030

Post by Greeness »

I just noticed the apparent Lac Mac influence with this creature, looks nice.

While I think the episodes we got from The Animated Series all turned out to pretty mediocre, I did always think it had some unique designs.
Rare Rayman images Drive folder:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Feel free to share any rare media that's missing.