[Download] Ripping a soundtrack from an another UbiSoft game: Disney's PK: Out Of The Shadows

Talk about the Rayman music website.

Moderators: Droolie, English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
DeeDyne
Lums Violet
Tings: 140

[Download] Ripping a soundtrack from an another UbiSoft game: Disney's PK: Out Of The Shadows

Post by DeeDyne »

Hi, I'm DeeDyne,
this is my first topic on this forum and it's all about ripping the soundtrack from a UbiSoft's PS2/GC game called "Disney's PK: Out Of The Shadows"... :)
I finally figured out how to decently rip all the music sequences from the game (I used the PS2 PAL version).

All the music loops/chunks are stored inside a file called DATA.HST, which also contains all the speeches of the game, and it's located in the following directory:
\GAMEBIN\WORLD\SOUND\DATA.HST
By using an hex editor I found out that the audio format is Sony ADPCM with 16 bytes (10 in hex) of stereo interleave at a rate of 22.5kHz...
To rip and convert them into WAV 16-bit files, this is the equipment I used:
-ADPCM Player v1.44h (for extracting the sequences from the HST file)
-Cube Media Player 2 (for converting them into 22.5kHz 16bit WAV files)
With this technique you also get all the unused sequences ;)

The only problem is that the sequences/loops are not stored in the correct order that you normally hear when you play the game... They're almost randomly distributed.
Is there any program that I can use to concatenate multiple audio files, move them around in the list and then export them into a single WAV file?
I haven't found such a program yet and in Audacity or in Adobe Audition you are forced to copy and paste manually... :(

In the meantime I'll give you a MEGA download link for the loops that I extracted...

https://mega.nz/#!tZIFAazJ!exWhhMmGdvna ... YcDcJyq6Ak

I look forward for your answers! :)
-DeeDyne
Ambidextroid
Mini Jano
Tings: 675

Re: [Download] Ripping a soundtrack from an another UbiSoft game: Disney's PK: Out Of The Shadows

Post by Ambidextroid »

Sorry if this is a little too late but you can actually do this in Audacity, if you add all of the audio files and then select them all, in the Tracks menu in the toolbar you can use Align Tracks > Align End to End. Then you could move each track up/down if you think it's out of order and Align End to End again.
DeeDyne
Lums Violet

Re: [Download] Ripping a soundtrack from an another UbiSoft game: Disney's PK: Out Of The Shadows

Post by DeeDyne »

Yeah, but it's unconvenient to do it with Audacity because I need to be able to quickly move around 300 tracks (almost like a playlist editor) for each single project...
Anyway, I eventually managed to find an appropriate software for this kind of work: foobar2000.
You simply add all the files you need in a new playlist, rearrange them and save the playlist to an .m3u file.
Then what you can do is this:
1) Select the whole playlist
2) Right click and select Convert>...
3) Output format: WAV, Samplerate and bit depth: same as source without dithering (all the tracks need to have the same samplerate and bit depth, otherwise it won't work)
4) Set the destination folder and on 'Output style and file name formatting' choose 'Merge all tracks into one output file'
5) Then you can save the order of actions you've just done in order to be able to repeat these 4 steps with a single click

foobar2000 is convenient for this kind of work because it doesn't alter the audio from the original tracks... It just concatenates them all in the order you want into a single WAV file... It does it perfectly... For instance, if you have a WAV file that is 712631 samples long and you want to concatenate it with another one which has a lenght of 13129836 samples, the result will be a WAV file with a lenght of 13842467 samples which is exactly the sum of the previous two... You won't get any kind of distortion or cut when transitioning between two tracks...

If you also want to be able to have a quick listen while you edit the playlist, you need to toggle off the automatic 'Fade In' and 'Fade Out' options, so you won't hear any kind of fadings between the tracks...

This is what I've done in three days:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMuCTlGChQA

Thanks for the advice anyways ;)
Ambidextroid
Mini Jano

Post by Ambidextroid »

Ah, that does sound more convenient. It's good to hear that you're making progress, I'm looking forward to the compete soundtrack! I remember playing this at a friend's house and I always thought the music was trippy :mrgreen:
DeeDyne
Lums Violet

Post by DeeDyne »

Given the fact the whole soundtrack is approximately 1h20m long and I did 3 and 1/2 minutes in 3 days, it will take some months...
Yeah... rearranging hundreds of tracks in a playlist is a kind of tedious donkey-work, but since I feel determined, I want to finish it...
I hope it will be displayed at the bottom of the list of soundtracks on RayTunes, right below 'Beyond Good And Evil' :)
Ambidextroid
Mini Jano

Post by Ambidextroid »

I wouldn't mind helping do a few if you want someone to take some of the work off of your shoulers
Droolie
Mr Sax
Tings: 61830

Post by Droolie »

Hey DeeDyne! Sorry for the late response, but I think you might be interested in this. It's a collection of scripts that I used to rip the music from Rayman M/Arena and Rayman 3. Read the readme and try out the scripts I wrote for the PS2 games - one of them will probably work on PK as well since it uses the same audio engine. All of the segments will be ripped separately and with their original filenames (including an index so that you can put them in the right order with little effort).
I actually used Cube Media Player for the first R3 rip back in 2006, but it's so tedious that for the latest rip, it ended up just being easier and more fun to decipher the format and write these special scripts for them.

By the way, I feel like this game isn't really related to Rayman music in the same way that BG&E and Tonic Trouble are. It doesn't sound like Rayman's music, it wasn't composed by anyone who worked on the main games and it wasn't developed by that team either. So I don't think it fits on RayTunes.
When you finish your rip I suggest posting it here instead (the site is down right now but I heard it's just moving servers) - you'll find a lot more people interested in this game there. :)
DeeDyne
Lums Violet

Post by DeeDyne »

Hi Drolpiraat :)
Thanks for the response...

I just tried placing the contents of 'r3_ps2' and 'ra_ps2' as said in the 'readme.txt' file and followed the instructions, but both didn't work.
And yes, an index would be helpful so that I already know the order of the individual loops/chunks...
I think the indexes can be found inside the M_***.HXD files... I opened them with and hex editor and they seem to be sort of playlists for the loops/chunks, but given the form they have I didn't find them to be useful to me...

Anyway, since this soundtrack is way more shorter than the one that Rayman 3 has, I think that rearranging all the loops/chunks won't take me more than 4 months...
I would really thank you if you manage to somehow get the indexes information to be readable and useful... I would spare a lot of time ;)

I'll shortly check out RayTunes and see what's new, of course... :D
A1020nt
Lums Vert
Tings: 90

Post by A1020nt »

I finished the whole soundtrack rip 1 year ago, thanks to Drolpiraat messages (I don't know if you remember Drolpiraat). If you want the rip download (FLAC, MP3) I can post it. It has the best quality possible (Gamecube version : 32kHz instead of PS2 : 22.05kHz). All the tracks are in order (intro, engagement, end, outro [gc exclusive) + separated tracks.
DeeDyne
Lums Violet

Post by DeeDyne »

Yes, I would, thanks! :D
For years I've been thinking that no-one would ever rip the soundtrack from this game, because this is a pretty 'forgotten' game, so to say...
Send it to me in FLAC lossless... I'm curious to see if there are any music loops/sequences not present in the GC version :D

I'm a collector of videogame OSTs in lossless quality and I've been ripping many of them for years... I would be very happy to add this one to my collection :)
Mind if I upload it on my YT channel? Do you want to be credited? ;)
And also, are there any videogame OSTs that you would like to have in FLAC lossless (even from non-UbiSoft games)? Since I have many of them, I might have the ones you're interested in ;)
A1020nt
Lums Vert

Post by A1020nt »

Sorry. I just listened to your video on YouTube, and the one I have for Channel 00 music doesn't have that intro. Where did you find it?
A1020nt
Lums Vert

Post by A1020nt »

Ok, I will not share GC files, you want to know why? Because it doesn't contains the bonus tracks/unused/other added parts of each songs. Only used music. So I really want to have a script that extracts the DATA.HST but makes the files in order, because it's a reeal mess xD
DeeDyne
Lums Violet

Post by DeeDyne »

I found it between the individual ADPCM sequences in the DATA.HST files... I then used an hex editor to open the M_*.HXD files where you can find all the orders (also the unused ones... The intro is one of them).

I don't know if you can find those sequences in the GC version as well, but since you told me that the GC version has a samplerate of 32kHz, I thought it would have been nicer to work on higher quality version of the soundtrack...
By the way, I tried to rip it from the GC version without success...
A1020nt
Lums Vert

Post by A1020nt »

Ok. I searched through GC files and no unused music. PS2 version definetely have all the songs, but not GC. And I didn't rip the PS2 version because files are not extracted in order. You can check my youtube channel and see the music I uploaded. I'm looking forward to a new script to extract them in order (if its possible, maybe not)
DeeDyne
Lums Violet

Post by DeeDyne »

The only thing that the PS2 version doesn't have are the outros for each theme... On the PS2 version, sooner or later, each theme has to abruptely interrupt...
That's why you got me curious about the GC version...
A1020nt
Lums Vert

Post by A1020nt »

GC version contains outro while PS2 doesn't contains outros, but GC doesn't have the rest that PS2 have like the backspace tracks (with backspace)
DeeDyne
Lums Violet

Post by DeeDyne »

Would you send me all the individual loops/chunks already extracted in FLAC? (not GC)
A1020nt
Lums Vert

Post by A1020nt »

Yes, but before that here's a sample for Area 52, does it convince ? Do you like ? (has been done automatically)

Link : https://mega.nz/#!2kFDCTyC!2TN-27SS8gdm ... vfQr9EVzh0
DeeDyne
Lums Violet

Post by DeeDyne »

Yeah, it sounds a bit better than the PS2 version :D
A1020nt
Lums Vert

Post by A1020nt »

I found out what was missing in the GC version. What is missing is the alternate Debut, DebutAtmos or Intros tracks.
Last edited by A1020nt on Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.