Rayman 1 on Atari Jaguar!

Talk about the Rayman music website.

Moderators: Droolie, English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
DandyGuy
Ptizêtre Ermite
Tings: 1772

Re: Rayman 1 on Atari Jaguar!

Post by DandyGuy »

Rayman3DS wrote:
Haruka wrote:- When Rayman dies, he loses all his Tings
*Hrrm*Sonic*Hrrm*
lol i never noticed that :oops2:
Last edited by DandyGuy on Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haruka
Sandra Misu
Tings: 178780

Post by Haruka »

I do not encourage one-worded posts, guys. ;)
Adsolution
Aline Louïa
Tings: 106718

Post by Adsolution »

Rayman3DS wrote:
*Hrrm*Sonic*Hrrm*
Rayman always loses his tings when he dies in every version except in the GBA and DSi versions.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 610019

Post by Hunchman801 »

Haruka, could you please take good quality screenshots of the main differences, especially Moskito's colours (preferably both in the chasing scene and the boss battle) as well as the antitoons'?
Rayman3DS
Barbara
Tings: 12320

Post by Rayman3DS »

RayFan9876 wrote:
Rayman3DS wrote:
*Hrrm*Sonic*Hrrm*
Rayman always loses his tings when he dies in every version except in the GBA and DSi versions.
Oh.. I read it as "When Rayman loses a live"
:oops:
Haruka
Sandra Misu

Post by Haruka »

Hunchman801 wrote:Haruka, could you please take good quality screenshots of the main differences, especially Moskito's colours (preferably both in the chasing scene and the boss battle) as well as the antitoons'?
I can try, but I do not promise anything in a short period of time.
Adsolution
Aline Louïa

Post by Adsolution »

@Hunch & Haruka:
I can take those screenshots, I'll have them all up by the time both of you wake up next morning.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Thanks RayFan! Make sure you've read and understood this post by the way. ;)
Adsolution
Aline Louïa

Post by Adsolution »

I fully understand the post, unfortunately my jaguar emulator wasn't letting me use the 1x zoom option, thus forcing me to use bicubic scaling. I tried to make it as clear as possible, so I hope it isn't too much of a problem.

Different title screen:

Different introduction, but the same story:

Rayman runs instead of walks across the map screen:

When you start a level or respawn after death, the word "ACTION" forms and the letters bounce around.

Rayman has a different crawling animation:

Rayman has a different idle animation that plays much more frequently:

Some levels have different backgrounds and graphic sprites (in this example, Gong Heights):

Antitoons have blond helicopter hair (the same as the electoons), even though when not in motion their hair is grey:

Disappearing clouds open their eyes and mouth when stepped on, shortly before disappearing (this is the same sprite used for the clouds in Rayman 3's "2D Madness:"

Rayman does not slip on music staffs:

When Moskito chases Rayman in the third-to-last level of Moskito's Nest, he is coloured the same as he is in the boss fight of the other console versions:

All the sizes of Moskito's spiked fruits are different colours:

Rayman uses the same animation when beating a boss that he does when reaching a "!" sign, as opposed to the victory dance he does in the other versions:

Betilla phrases things differently:

There's one more thing I'd also like to bring to your attention. Bad Rayman's true English name is Dark Rayman, as proven in Rayman Advance and the DSi-ware versions, where the Rayman Advance text scrolls across the screen saying "Beware of Dark Rayman" in the said level. This should be updated as they are the most recent releases of the game.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Thanks for the pics! While they're normally too blurry to be posted on the wiki, we may use them if we can't get our hands on better quality versions.

As concerns names, we tend to privilege the oldest references (in Bad Rayman's case, Rayman Junior and Rayman Designer) over the latest ports developed by secondary teams or outsourcers (e.g. Rayman Advance was developed by Digital Eclipse, not by UbiSoft).
Haruka
Sandra Misu

Post by Haruka »

Thanks for the screenshots RayFan. :)

I should try to play the Band Land next when I have the oportunity.

The tests dates of this term at school are still unknown but I'm almost sure they will land somewhere by the second half of November. :pfff: Until there, studying, studying...
Haruka
Sandra Misu

Post by Haruka »

Sorry for double posting, but I would like to say that I've played the Band Land in this version.

The most significant changes are:

- Clouds have mouths, and open their eyes when stepped (the ones that disappear after)

- When the Red Monster moves his clubs into the floor, the screen shakes like if an earthquake had just happened

- Some background changes

- The metallic blue walking surfaces aren't slippery

- Some background element changes in Bongo Hills

- The Grasshoppers are smarter and more aggressive. When they duck, they smile.

- Allegro Presto is very changed in terms of background elements and positioning. There are many Antitoons and Hunters. Trumpets have got a bigger interaction here, and they attempt to kill you in certain moments. The overall level is much more easier than in the other versions. It is also shorter since the Mr. Sax part does not appear here.

- In Mr. Sax's Hullaballoo, when you are in the second part of the fight against Mr. Sax, the health bar is shorter (I got just a health bar with 6 HPs. In the other versions the bar didn't shrink, but it showed anyway that Mr. Sax had 6 HP remaining).
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Very interesting, Haruka. I wish we could get the full Jaguar maps, like the PC and PS ones we have on RayWiki.
Haruka
Sandra Misu

Post by Haruka »

It would be great, yes. I've added some extra details in the post, that I forgot to mention before. Yesterday I played a bit of the Blue Mountains. Perhaps this weekend I can tell more things about this world.
Haruka
Sandra Misu

Post by Haruka »

Sorry once more for the double post but I've played the Blue Mountains, and the most significant changes are:

- The Stonemen are harder to put them KO. Hitting them while they are creating a cracked lava ball seems to not work (same effect as trying to fist a Hunter when the gun is shown horizontally), it only knocks away the object.

- The Stonemen have a different animation to throw the cracked lava balls: they do it with one hand.

- The magic shoots they send travel faster

- The Stone Dogs seem to act slower in here

- Mr. Stone has got a different animation when Rayman is reached by him (Looking up while shaking the hands alternately)

- The snow is not slippery

- The Super Helicopter has a different sensibility when compared with the other versions: you need to press the jump button more times to fly upwards/stabilize the flight height

- It does not snow in Mr. Stone's Peaks

- Mr. Stone's Peaks level is shorter than in the other versions: the ropes part does not exist, two cages were moved to completely different places (one of them was placed in the part before Mr. Stone's battle, triggered by a Gendoor very close to the Exit Sign. By passing it, the cage appears in the left side. Somewhat similar to the situation of the Life Statue Gendoor in the Swamps of Forgetfulness).

- The word "YES" does not appear in a certain part of Mr. Stone's Peaks.

- Mr. Stone acts slower here than in the other versions. He does not throw giant cracked lava balls in zigzags. When he jumps to the other side, he swings a lot his feet. When a single cloud appears to Rayman leap on the pillar with the smiling face, Mr. Stone just walks normally.

- Betilla's dialogues are slightly different.

- When Rayman runs and jumps, he does not do a middle-air acrobacy: just the normal jumping animation.

And one extra note about Band Land: In Bongo Hills, one of the cages can be caught without requiring the Blue Elf, since the creature does not exist in this version.

I also played the Eraser Plains from Picture City and I can say that I'm shocked of how easier and different is this level in Jaguar:

- There is a background change in the wooden one: it has got a purple colour instead of a wooden colour

- The Blue Elf, again, does not exist

- There are some changes in background elements

- The pencils move higher (ups and downs) than in the other versions and with wider spacing between them. The group of pencils in the indian ink that move in "wave" pattern does not exist here.

- The Life Statue in part 1 can be reached by fisting a Pink Ring

- There are less Antitoons and "Green-Eyed Spikes" in part 1

- Remember the mysterious sparkles side to the Exit Sign in part 1? If you fist them here, you get automatically the Super Helicopter to fly to the middle of the level, to reach the cage (since the moving pencil sharpener does not appear here). This makes this part 1 way easier to pass than in the other versions.

- The part two has got some changes, especially in the background elements (first cage of part 2 easier to catch up since you don't require the Blue Elf, different pencil moving patterns since the groups of pencils moving in wave pattern do not exist here neither)

- The third part is almost unrecognisable of how many changes has got when compared to the other versions. There are very few things here that are common with the part 3 of the other versions. There are many pink rings, some Hunters, Antitoons, some fountain pens that must be avoided with the help of blue rubbers, yin-yang (both normal and spiked) balls side to the pink rings, a cage with Yin-Yang balls side to it and suspended in a box of spikes, and there is even a map that shows Rayman where to step safely the correct path of boxes of spikes (the correct ones do not harm Rayman when he walks on them). The Magician awaits Rayman side to the Exit Sign. This part is also by far easier to pass than in the other versions. (And would be a much less stressful and frustrant level to pass)

- Viking Mama and his minions seem to act quicker in here. The stage background is different: the coloured sky with rainbow and mountains. Viking Mama has got a different animation: she hits her rolling pin in her hand.

- When Viking Mama is defeated, her body parts fall to the floor.
Comment ?
Rayman 3
Tings: 684324

Post by Comment ? »

Haruka wrote:The Life Statue in part 1 can be reached by fisting a Pink Ring
Indeed. :bad:
Image Image Image
Rulez
Henchman 1000
Tings: 2310

Post by Rulez »

Comment ? wrote:
Indeed. :bad:
This deserves a LOLface playing a keytar.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Nice lapsus Haruka! xD
Haruka wrote:When Viking Mama is defeated, her body parts fall to the floor.
Why call her Viking Mama by the way? She doesn't look like one.
Haruka
Sandra Misu

Post by Haruka »

^___________^* I didn't want to call them Purple Lums, since I remember years ago someone complaining that both objects are different.

I feel trolled and offended, seriously.

And about Viking Mama, ok, let's say: Space Mama with the first suit?
Rulez
Henchman 1000
Tings: 2310

Post by Rulez »

Haruka wrote: I feel trolled and offended, seriously.
Trolled is OK, but if you're offended, I apologize sincerely. Can't say that for Comment.