Globox's species

Talk about the collaborative Rayman encyclopedia.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Spanex
Électoon
Tings: 0

Re: Globox's species

Post by Spanex »

Hunchman801 wrote:Not sure how to call them actually, but I'd rather have no name than a made-up one. There was once a consensus, then the wiki was brutally edited shortly after the release of Origins, despite the absence of any evidence. No one reacted because people were either busy or couldn't be bothered to, but Boomboleros7 reviving the discussing is a good opportunity to make things clear.
Waiting for the interview sounds like a good idea; unfortunately, as hard as I'm trying to get things moving, the situation hasn't changed lately, and I don't think we can afford waiting for an indeterminate amount of time.
Making his species 'unknown' or 'undefined' seems like a fine placeholder to me. People won't make any wrong assumptions this way. Almost everybody I know in real life just call him a toad anyway, which actually makes perfect sense.

There is also the name Red Wizards to keep in mind, but this sounds more like a cult to me than a species.
Haruka
Sandra Misu
Tings: 178780

Post by Haruka »

Do you think that in the interview we can know what's the Globox's species' name?

Well, until there I don't know... Glute, unknown, Globox?...
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 610019

Post by Hunchman801 »

I could always ask.
spiraldoor
Oumbr
Tings: 156595

Post by spiraldoor »

Casting
Rayman - Globox - Murfy - André - les Lums noirs - le Tro u ffion - le Sniper - le Fantasnip d'élite - le Boomboleros - le Jamboomber - le Pagagnon et son
Minignon - le Bracadabreur - le Flapoteur - le Sulfator - le Hallebaffier - l'Aéro n i f l a rd - le Lavomatrix - le Toupignard - l'Armaguiddon - les Ptizêtres (Romeo
Patti, Otti Psi, Garata Ciatik, les Grands Minis, les Feuillus, les Poilus, les Mourus, les Moussus, les Reclus...) - Master Kaag - Béghoniax - Razoff - Céloche - Reflux - Gumsi - les Knaaren - les Piranhas - les Podcrocs - les Matuvus - les Noirôdeurs - les Muddies - les Fee-crétaires - les Glutes - les Tortues - les Tribelles - les Ugly - les Flabards - les Paluchards - les Verdules - les Crabe-Ningas - les Porfefeuilles - les Raymanins - et bien d'autres créatures encore...
Even Spider-Glute can't do this!
Dear player, may I present to you that yours truly is composed of 816 polygons. Given the fact that a typical glute only contains 380 polygons, you can plainly see I'm on the cutting edge of 3D technology.
Would the incredible glute please report to the welcomes desk?
The Gong emits a sound like the frightened scream of a helpless baby Glute. The Knaarens, who're always keen to punish the little ones, can't resist its call.
The one and only Globox! Biggest glute in the Glade! Champion of snoring songs, you honor me with your noisy naps!
All the pieces fit.
Rulez
Henchman 1000
Tings: 2310

Post by Rulez »

I am aware that my opinion is highly useless, but there's way too many evidence to disregard the species' name as ''Glute''.
Spanex
Électoon

Post by Spanex »

spiraldoor wrote:
Casting
Rayman - Globox - Murfy - André - les Lums noirs - le Tro u ffion - le Sniper - le Fantasnip d'élite - le Boomboleros - le Jamboomber - le Pagagnon et son
Minignon - le Bracadabreur - le Flapoteur - le Sulfator - le Hallebaffier - l'Aéro n i f l a rd - le Lavomatrix - le Toupignard - l'Armaguiddon - les Ptizêtres (Romeo
Patti, Otti Psi, Garata Ciatik, les Grands Minis, les Feuillus, les Poilus, les Mourus, les Moussus, les Reclus...) - Master Kaag - Béghoniax - Razoff - Céloche - Reflux - Gumsi - les Knaaren - les Piranhas - les Podcrocs - les Matuvus - les Noirôdeurs - les Muddies - les Fee-crétaires - les Glutes - les Tortues - les Tribelles - les Ugly - les Flabards - les Paluchards - les Verdules - les Crabe-Ningas - les Porfefeuilles - les Raymanins - et bien d'autres créatures encore...
Dear player, may I present to you that yours truly is composed of 816 polygons. Given the fact that a typical glute only contains 380 polygons, you can plainly see I'm on the cutting edge of 3D technology.
The Gong emits a sound like the frightened scream of a helpless baby Glute. The Knaarens, who're always keen to punish the little ones, can't resist its call.
The one and only Globox! Biggest glute in the Glade! Champion of snoring songs, you honor me with your noisy naps!
All the pieces fit.
Finally something I can agree with you on. It's about damn time!
Haruka
Sandra Misu
Tings: 178780

Post by Haruka »

Oh right, I was forgetting the Gong description. I think indeed the English game classifies Globox as being a Glute. The origin of the name can be explained by the size of the butt of Globox, Uglette, etc.
Adsolution
Aline Louïa
Tings: 106718

Post by Adsolution »

Spanex wrote:Finally something I can agree with you on. It's about damn time!
I can see you're enthralled.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Casting
This does actually support the opposite theory: first of all, no other member of Globox's species can be seen on the family picture, and in fact, there isn't any in the game!
This could as well refer to another species, even though I admit this is probably your most convincing argument.
Globox is the only one of his kind in the game, so what d o the 380 polygons refer to? Most likely another species.
Either Globox's species or the butt.
This favours the interpretation that a glute is a creature, but there is no reason it should be Globox's species.
The most likely interpretation of this sentence is that the word “glute” refers to the butt. Moreover, species names are always capitalised in Origins.
spiraldoor wrote:All the pieces fit.
Actually, only very few quotes support the theory that Globox is a “glute”, while others indicate that the word refers to the butt, and finally, a couple lead to believing they are the name of another species. As I said in the Glute talk page, no interpretation makes sense if we consider every quote, which leads me to believe it's just some kind of a private joke in the development team.
Therefore, unless someone comes up with a theory that is not contradicted by anything, we will remove all references to the word “glute” on the wiki.
Spanex
Électoon

Post by Spanex »

Pointing out two things:
Hunchman801 wrote:
Globox is the only one of his kind in the game, so what do the 380 polygons refer to? Most likely another species.
He COULD be referring to his old R2 model. That or his own polycount is 380 (or 318) and "yours truly" is Rayman. Want me to rip them and check their polycount? Maybe that could clear some things up.
Hunchman801 wrote:
Either Globox's species or the butt.
There are only Rayman, Globox, and a bunch of Hoodlums in the entire quarters, discounting the teensies, matuvus and tribelles. The butt is out of the question, so who else could she be referring to? It can't be herself, of which we have no idea what she is at all, since we never see her.

They've given us enough subtle hints to my idea. In Origins, Polokus went and literally called him a glute. I should rip the models to check those polycounts.
spiraldoor
Oumbr

Post by spiraldoor »

Hunchman801 wrote:This does actually support the opposite theory: first of all, no other member of Globox's species can be seen on the family picture, and in fact, there isn't any in the game!
There are several creatures in the list who do not appear in the family picture, so the correlation between the two can’t be used to draw any conclusions. I was simply quoting it to underline the fact that the developers intend ‘Glute’ to be the name of a creature or species.
Hunchman801 wrote:Globox is the only one of his kind in the game, so what d o the 380 polygons refer to? Most likely another species.
What difference does it make if there are no other members of his species in that particular game? He’s comparing himself favourably to ‘a typical glute’, which would make no sense unless he was a glute himself. Otherwise he might as well say ‘a typical octopus’ or ‘a typical sack of potatoes’.
Hunchman801 wrote:This favours the interpretation that a glute is a creature, but there is no reason it should be Globox's species.
We’ve seen numerous crying baby Globoxes in the series. What other species could this quotation possibly refer to?
Hunchamn801 wrote:Either Globox's species or the butt.
Hunchman801 wrote:The most likely interpretation of this sentence is that the word “glute” refers to the butt. Moreover, species names are always capitalised in Origins.
While neither of these quotations are definitive, they’re both examples of Globox being referred to by the word ‘glute’. Nobody ever refers to ‘Globox’s glute’, or says anything to confirm that they are talking about his arse, so I don’t see any reason to conclude that this is the case. Surely the arse interpretation loses its plausibility when you factor in the multiple references to the Glute species strewn throughout Rayman 3 and its surrounding material?
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Spanex wrote:He COULD be referring to his old R2 model. That or his own polycount is 380 (or 318) and "yours truly" is Rayman. Want me to rip them and check their polycount? Maybe that could clear some things up.
I don't see how a comparison to his Rayman 2 self is more plausible than a comparison to another character present in Rayman 3.
Spanex wrote:The butt is out of the question [...]
No it's not.
Spanex wrote:They've given us enough subtle hints to my idea.
So did they about ‘glute’ referring to the butt and glute being another species. You just chose to ignore the other two.
Spanex wrote:In Origins, Polokus went and literally called him a glute. I should rip the models to check those polycounts.
Please read my above message. Not only can it be a reference to his butt, species names are capitalised in the game. ‘Glute’ is not.
spiraldoor wrote:There are several creatures in the list who do not appear in the family picture, so the correlation between the two can’t be used to draw any conclusions. I was simply quoting it to underline the fact that the developers intend ‘Glute’ to be the name of a creature or species.
You are right.
spiraldoor wrote:What difference does it make if there are no other members of his species in that particular game? He’s comparing himself favourably to ‘a typical glute’, which would make no sense unless he was a glute himself. Otherwise he might as well say ‘a typical octopus’ or ‘a typical sack of potatoes’.
That's true, the comparison would make more sense if Globox was a ‘glute’, but the figures wouldn't make sense. And then, what would make sense? Just sounds like a private joke again.
spiraldoor wrote:We’ve seen numerous crying baby Globoxes in the series. What other species could this quotation possibly refer to?
I fail to see how one could find the sound of a gong in Rayman 3 even remotely similar to that of a crying baby Globox.
spiraldoor wrote:While neither of these quotations are definitive, they’re both examples of Globox being referred to by the word ‘glute’. Nobody ever refers to ‘Globox’s glute’, or says anything to confirm that they are talking about his arse, so I don’t see any reason to conclude that this is the case. Surely the arse interpretation loses its plausibility when you factor in the multiple references to the Glute species strewn throughout Rayman 3 and its surrounding material?
And so do the species interpretations, as indicated by my quotes on the talk page. If every theory is contradicted by one or more elements, then we have to admit that none of this makes sense.
Spanex
Électoon

Post by Spanex »

Okay so for now: Let's take Smart Globox' quote...

He's not talking about Rayman.

Now we know this is mister "yours truly"

But then... we go to what I suspect is "average glute", the Globox model from Rayman 2, and...

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c137/Spanex/why.png
FUUUUUUUUUUU!

It looks like I'll either have to assemble him manually or figure this out another way.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

So, you killed Globox? :tssk:
spiraldoor
Oumbr

Post by spiraldoor »

Hunchman801 wrote:I don't see how a comparison to his Rayman 2 self is more plausible than a comparison to another character present in Rayman 3.
I also think the idea of using Globox’s Rayman 2 model as an ‘average glute’ might be barking up the wrong tree, but I simply cannot understand your idea that Globox is referring to another creature. It would make no sense at all for him to brag about his polycount compared to a completely different creature.

A man boasting that he is ‘stronger than an average man’ makes sense. A man boasting that he is ‘stronger than the average seagull’ does not.
Hunchman801 wrote:So did they about ‘glute’ referring to the butt and glute being another species. You just chose to ignore the other two.
Globox being a Glute is the only hypothesis that fits all of these references in a way that makes sense.
Hunchman801 wrote:Please read my above message. Not only can it be a reference to his butt, species names are capitalised in the game. ‘Glute’ is not.
‘Bubble-me! Globox...You're teensy!’
‘Goth teensy? What! If you are here then who is watching the Dead Door?’
‘Still no limbs, eh! Well, the nymphs will get their act together eventually...! Less bones to break I say!’
‘At last! A little action in the Glade! Seems you've raised the livid dead just by snoring on the job...’
‘Never mind, I'm sure the Livid Dead will be tickled to death by your killer looks.’

The words ‘Teensy’, ‘Nymphs’ and ‘Livid Dead’ are all capitalised at most points in the game, but as you can see, it’s far from consistent, and can hardly be used to determine whether a word refers to a species. (I took these examples from the script; apologies if the game itself corrects the capitalisation, but I don’t think it does.)
Hunchman801 wrote:I fail to see how one could find the sound of a gong in Rayman 3 even remotely similar to that of a crying baby Globox.
The gongs don’t sound like *any* kind of crying baby, but that’s still what the description says; I could apply the same argument to the bird in the Xowar secret room, or any other species which you can speculate might be called ‘glutes’. (The description isn’t present in the final version of the game, and was probably written at a different time, under a different context; I imagine it was removed along with some story or gameplay element that would have caused it to make sense.) In any case, the fact remains that the only crying babies in the Rayman series are Globox’s children. This ties very neatly into the ‘Globox = Glute’ hypothesis, despite the fact that many of us had been calling him a glute since long before that description was discovered on the files of the disc. Like the glute reference in Rayman Origins, it seems like too much to be a coincidence.
Acarr
Électoon

Post by Acarr »

About the polygons thing, I doubt they were being literal about it...
Spanex
Électoon

Post by Spanex »

Hunchman801 wrote:
So, you killed Globox? :tssk:
Hahaha, no, 3Dripper did. Apparently it only rips the polys visible on screen. Not what's hiding behind it. In Rayman 3 it does however, so what's up with Rayman 2 I don't know.

By the way, I've made a quick draft of R2's Globox reassembled, and it currently counts 394 polys. Pretty close to 380 if you ask me. But remember this is a draft and not a finalized reassembly.
spiraldoor
Oumbr

Post by spiraldoor »

Spanex wrote:He COULD be referring to his old R2 model. That or his own polycount is 380 (or 318) and "yours truly" is Rayman. Want me to rip them and check their polycount? Maybe that could clear some things up.
As I recently informed Rayfan, the phrase ‘yours truly’ has exactly the same meaning as the word ‘me’. Globox is definitely talking about himself here.
Spanex
Électoon

Post by Spanex »

spiraldoor wrote:
As I recently informed Rayfan, the phrase ‘yours truly’ has exactly the same meaning as the word ‘me’. Globox is definitely talking about himself here.
Thanks for clearing that up. I never exactly understood its meaning.
boomboleros7
Mr Stone
Tings: 68091

Post by boomboleros7 »

What I notice, it's that in Rayman 3, when the characters refers to those Glute, it's often to speak ill of them...

Globox says "Gaseous glute!" many times, "I'll never speak ill of glutes again" when he is scared, "Even Spider-Glute can't do this!" when he is drunk and he says that he is superior to a glute in the Hoodlums Headquarters. And the Knaarens loves beat them apparently.

If the Glutes are really creatures of the Glade of Dreams, they seem to be the objects of abuse of everyone...

And so, if Globox is a Glute, as you said, that means that he loves... speak ill of his own species?

Really, really odd...

Signature réalisée par Gnaax
Sa chaîne YouTube : https://www.youtube.com/user/MasterSparta87
Son DeviantArt : http://gnaax.deviantart.com/