Dark Rayman & Bad Rayman

Talk about the collaborative Rayman encyclopedia.

Moderator: English moderators

spiraldoor
Mr Dark
Posts: 12391
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:13 pm
Tings: 156595

Dark Rayman & Bad Rayman

Post by spiraldoor » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:08 am

Most people seem to think that Dark Rayman and Bad Rayman aren't the same, but really, I don't see why this is. First of all, why would Rayman have two different evil clones? It just seems a really weird choice for the developers to make. Does that mean that there'd be a Dark Bad Rayman as well? And don't tell me that one's name is "Bad Rayman" and the other's is "Dark Rayman", because in Rayman Junior, the evil clone who follows you is referred to as the "Wicked Double" repeatedly by Betilla. And don't tell me that Bad Rayman is dead and Dark Rayman is another character, because in Rayman Junior and Rayman Designer he can die and be re-summoned repeatedly by Mister Dark. And look at the them:

Image

Image

They have similar colours, glowing eyes and the biggest difference is the clothes he's wearing. Judging by the colours, Bad Rayman is darker than Dark Rayman. And in Rayman Advance, at the start of Mr Dark's Dare part 2 it actually says "Beware of Dark Rayman", and I mean how much more specific can you get?

I know, he behaves differently in Arena...but so do all the other characters! And I'm trying to think of why Rayman would have multiple different evil clones, but I just can't. Does anyone else share my opinions?

Xenon
Globox
Posts: 37842
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:21 pm
Tings: 132565

Re: Dark Rayman & Bad Rayman

Post by Xenon » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:45 am

Contrary to what you think, they look totally different. Examine the colour used for each part of Rayman's body, then compare it with the other. No colours match. And as if that weren't enough, the two have completely different facial figurements and hair (and shoes actually), so as far as looks go the two are different.

As far character, well, I don't know a lot about Bad Rayman but if I'm not talking bull his mission is to find and kill normal Rayman, whereas Dark Rayman is merely a skin for Rayman in Arena, and doesn't hold any evil traits.
Image

stan423321
Murfy
Posts: 7312
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:22 pm
Location: Poland, of Union of Socialistic European Republics
Tings: 63250

Re: Dark Rayman & Bad Rayman

Post by stan423321 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:00 pm

My opinion is they aren't the same, just like Silver Sonic isn't same as Metal Sonic or Mecha Sonic. Anyway, I still call both "Dark Raymans".

Droolie
Oumbr
Posts: 4969
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:31 pm
Tings: 54355

Re: Dark Rayman & Bad Rayman

Post by Droolie » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:08 pm

Xenon wrote:And as if that weren't enough, the two have completely different facial figurements and hair (and shoes actually), so as far as looks go the two are different.

As far character, well, I don't know a lot about Bad Rayman but if I'm not talking bull his mission is to find and kill normal Rayman, whereas Dark Rayman is merely a skin for Rayman in Arena, and doesn't hold any evil traits.
I disagree with everything in this quote.

For example, didn't Rayman himself change? He has a different look in almost every game. So why wouldn't Bad/Dark Rayman change? :roll:
Also, Dark Rayman is very fast in races and very good at battles in Rayman Arena. That isn't evil, of course, but he doesn't play by the rules: he mirrors your screen in the race levels, so where you normally had to go left, you have to go right. He IS evil.

Still, I agree that they aren't the same, but, both clones should be called Dark Rayman.
Besides, Dark Rayman is mentioned in Rayman Advance, and I don't know where anyone got the name "Bad Rayman" from. :P

stan423321
Murfy
Posts: 7312
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:22 pm
Location: Poland, of Union of Socialistic European Republics
Tings: 63250

Re: Dark Rayman & Bad Rayman

Post by stan423321 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:11 pm

Who knows is Dark Rayman good or bad actually...

...err, do I smell Rayman 4?

Droolie
Oumbr
Posts: 4969
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:31 pm
Tings: 54355

Re: Dark Rayman & Bad Rayman

Post by Droolie » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:16 pm

Why would you smell Rayman 4? XD

stan423321
Murfy
Posts: 7312
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:22 pm
Location: Poland, of Union of Socialistic European Republics
Tings: 63250

Re: Dark Rayman & Bad Rayman

Post by stan423321 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:33 pm

Well, a lot of people believed the "Rayman's grandest enemy", so why wouldn't it be Ray's clone?

El Dango
Clark
Posts: 12896
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:01 pm
Location: Where you need me the most
Contact:
Tings: 105675

Re: Dark Rayman & Bad Rayman

Post by El Dango » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:25 pm

Drolpiraat wrote:Why would you smell Rayman 4? XD
Because it stinks lol.

Anyways, the Dark Rayman from Rayman Arena is just a costume, so i don't think he even counts as a character.
Image
Do NOT forget to vote and participate in the SOTM and Manipulate the Image competitions!
(If you don't wanna, however, that's perfectly okay (I'm hardly a role model))

Droolie
Oumbr
Posts: 4969
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:31 pm
Tings: 54355

Re: Dark Rayman & Bad Rayman

Post by Droolie » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:34 pm

El Dango wrote:
Drolpiraat wrote:Why would you smell Rayman 4? XD
Because it stinks lol.

Anyways, the Dark Rayman from Rayman Arena is just a costume, so i don't think he even counts as a character.
He does, because they don't name him Rayman in Rayman Arena, but Dark Rayman. Different name, different character.

Cairnie
Magicien
Posts: 9781
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:05 pm
Location: robin hood land
Contact:
Tings: 76635

Re: Dark Rayman & Bad Rayman

Post by Cairnie » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:51 pm

The Bad Rayman name came from the manual in Rayman Junior. :lol:
giant photobucket picture wuz ere

so wuz old psn banner

you know old out of date stuff

Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Posts: 77080
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:50 pm
Location: Paris, France
Contact:
Tings: 556770

Re: Dark Rayman & Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:06 pm

Just to clear up things, Bad Rayman is a spell and Dark Rayman is a skin. I just don't see how they could be the same character (provided you can even consider them as real characters).
As concerns the name “Bad Rayman”, I'm pretty sure it was used in Rayman Junior (depends on the versions) and Rayman Designer. He was actually called “Dark Rayman” in Rayman Advance, but I tend to privilege the oldest references, and we have to keep in mind that Rayman Advance was developed by Digital Eclipse, not by UbiSoft.
Also, I'd like to remind you all that this is not a topic to discuss the “coolness” of the different names. Because people think a name sounds lame isn't a reason to change it.
Image

foultzboyz
Électoon
Posts: 1807
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:23 pm
Contact:
Tings: 0

Re: Dark Rayman & Bad Rayman

Post by foultzboyz » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:08 pm

You might be right, and there'd almost be no questioning if Rayman Advance didn't call him Dark Rayman. The interesting thought that that creates is 1) Bad Rayman is referred to as Dark Rayman before the supposed "debut" of this other Dark Rayman, 2) development teams will always supervise these projects closely to make sure that everything seems correct, and 3) the both of them are evil doppelgangers to Rayman. Dark Rayman may have been grouped with Rayman because the character model itself is the same, and as such, literally means Dark Rayman is a reskinned model of Rayman, though I thought Rayman Arena often treated Dark Rayman like his own character. I'm still not 100% sure myself, because both are act as doppelgangers (because the games treat them both like individual characters--Rayman Arena wouldn't have an entire third of the challenges made up so you could challenge a skin), though both are completely different in most every other way.

stan423321
Murfy
Posts: 7312
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:22 pm
Location: Poland, of Union of Socialistic European Republics
Tings: 63250

Re: Dark Rayman & Bad Rayman

Post by stan423321 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:40 pm

In case of Rayman Arena's Dark Rayman... I thound it a bit too bright compared to the older design. But he's still interesting.
foultzboyz wrote:You might be right, and there'd almost be no questioning if Rayman Advance didn't call him Dark Rayman.
Well, there would be some. Almost all resources I saw referred to Dark Rayman, and making another character called this way was "breaking de facto standard". Really. I saw a lot of walkthroughs, and everybody who saw thingy which looks like Rayman but is dark called it Dark Rayman for obvious reasons.

Actually, why the page shouldn't be split in way "Dark Rayman (R1 etc.)" and "Dark Rayman (RA)"?

Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Posts: 77080
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:50 pm
Location: Paris, France
Contact:
Tings: 556770

Re: Dark Rayman & Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:25 pm

stan423321 wrote:Actually, why the page shouldn't be split in way "Dark Rayman (R1 etc.)" and "Dark Rayman (RA)"?
The most logical solution would be to mention that Bad Rayman is actually called Dark Rayman in the GBA version, despite the previous official references.
Image

stan423321
Murfy
Posts: 7312
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:22 pm
Location: Poland, of Union of Socialistic European Republics
Tings: 63250

Re: Dark Rayman & Bad Rayman

Post by stan423321 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:53 pm

Oh well, this obviously depends on reference. But it seems like you're right...

Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Posts: 77080
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:50 pm
Location: Paris, France
Contact:
Tings: 556770

Re: Dark Rayman & Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:30 pm

I guess we all agree on the fact that the whole thing hardly makes sense ^^
Image

stan423321
Murfy
Posts: 7312
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:22 pm
Location: Poland, of Union of Socialistic European Republics
Tings: 63250

Re: Dark Rayman & Bad Rayman

Post by stan423321 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:11 pm

Are you referring to your post or what?!
<logging off>

spiraldoor
Mr Dark
Posts: 12391
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:13 pm
Tings: 156595

Re: Dark Rayman & Bad Rayman

Post by spiraldoor » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:38 pm

Hunchman801 wrote:Just to clear up things, Bad Rayman is a spell and Dark Rayman is a skin. I just don't see how they could be the same character (provided you can even consider them as real characters).
Ah, but if neither of them truly exist, there is no reason why they can't be the same :mrgreen:

Anyway, I don't think the one you call "Bad Rayman" is merely a spell. If he's no more than a spell created to destroy Rayman, why does he look like him? Wouldn't it be better for Mr Dark to not bother giving him an appearance, so that Rayman wouldn't know what hit him until it was too late?

And the Dark Rayman of Rayman Arena is more than a skin. See Drol's post above for more info...
Hunchman801 wrote:As concerns the name “Bad Rayman”, I'm pretty sure it was used in Rayman Junior (depends on the versions) and Rayman Designer. He was actually called “Dark Rayman” in Rayman Advance, but I tend to privilege the oldest references, and we have to keep in mind that Rayman Advance was developed by Digital Eclipse, not by UbiSoft.
Wouldn't the oldest references be less accurate? You yourself say that they "adapted" "Bzzit"'s design to 3D, in other words they revised a character that had previously appeared (and to a much greater extent to this supposed difference between Dark and "Bad" Rayman...)

Holy Crap
Jano
Posts: 15930
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:54 am
Location: I AM OMNIPRESENT! (Just like God, only better, because I exist)
Contact:
Tings: 80202

Re: Dark Rayman & Bad Rayman

Post by Holy Crap » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:06 am

The two are simply too different to be the same.
And how can you say the one in R1 isn't just a spell? You see the spell being cast. :?
Image

spiraldoor
Mr Dark
Posts: 12391
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:13 pm
Tings: 156595

Re: Dark Rayman & Bad Rayman

Post by spiraldoor » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:39 pm

spiraldoor wrote:Anyway, I don't think the one you call "Bad Rayman" is merely a spell. If he's no more than a spell created to destroy Rayman, why does he look like him? Wouldn't it be better for Mr Dark to not bother giving him an appearance, so that Rayman wouldn't know what hit him until it was too late?

Post Reply