Rayman 3 16:9 fix causes Tribelle glitch (GC)

Discuss tools to aid in the modification and running of Rayman games.

Moderators: English moderators, Modding and utilities team

Someone7272
Antitoon
Tings: 20

Rayman 3 16:9 fix causes Tribelle glitch (GC)

Post by Someone7272 »

Hi all,

New to the forums (long time lurker) but not new to the Rayman series.
In fact, Rayman 2 on PC was the first video game I ever played in my life!
I couldn't get Rayman 2 on PC working reliably, so I switched to Rayman Revolution.
It only runs at 25 FPS, but that's one for another topic, back to the main topic - Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc!

I had multiple issues getting Rayman 3 to work properly on PC, so I decided to settle on the GameCube version.
Especially because you can use the high resolution texures which makes a huge difference.

I've had much better luck with emulation, because the game works perfectly except for one annoying issue.
I'm hoping some of the modding gods here might be able to look at this...

The Tribelle butterflies will continue following the camera after being collected, and never de-spawn.
They will literally keep following you until the next loading screen.
Reminds me of Rayman 2's horrible black, furry, floating things with evil eyes that make an awful buzing noise (shuddder)...

This glitch is caused by the PAL 16:9 widescreen fix from the Dolphin Emulator Wiki...

Code: Select all

$16:9 Aspect Ratio Fix (PAL version only)
0406B550 38600001
0406B554 4E800020
0406B5C8 38600001
0406B5CC 4E800020
04141830 60000000
045DAE98 3F9AE148
Disabling this code solves the problem. But then that causes various objects and geometry to disappear outside of the 4:3 frame.
Arguably, that is more annoying than Tribelle butterflies following me all the time!

I was wondering if anyone here has any codes which fix the 16:9 widescreen problem, without causing this glitch.
I only have access to the PAL version, so I'm not sure if the NTSC version is also affected.

Thanks
ICUP321
Moine
Tings: 555

Re: Rayman 3 16:9 fix causes Tribelle glitch (GC)

Post by ICUP321 »

I think I know what's causing that glitch. The 16:9 code disables frustum culling entirely so the Tribelle never de-spawns because it never gets culled out from view. I might be able to fix that glitch if I can figure out how to extend the culling distance just enough so no objects are visibly culled out on-screen instead of disabling culling entirely.
Someone7272
Antitoon
Tings: 20

Re: Rayman 3 16:9 fix causes Tribelle glitch (GC)

Post by Someone7272 »

ICUP321 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:24 pm I think I know what's causing that glitch. The 16:9 code disables frustum culling entirely so the Tribelle never de-spawns because it never gets culled out from view. I might be able to fix that glitch if I can figure out how to extend the culling distance just enough so no objects are visibly culled out on-screen instead of disabling culling entirely.
Hi, you're the one who did the HD textures for GameCube! Your work is amazing, thanks for all your efforts with those.

Anyway this makes sense I guess, the logic that prevents rendering of things outside of the camera also is likely also responsible for de-spawning the Tribelle butterflies.
I wonder if this issue would also affect colleting gems? When they shoot up to the sky, would they just stay there above the skybox? Or maybe when you crash into the Spinneroos on the snowboard part, if I remember, I think it sends them into the sky, but would they also fail to de-spawn? I'm not that far on my playthrough yet.
I have no idea how these Gecko codes work, let alone how you can produce them (modifying data in memory?) so huge respect to you and the modding team here.

I did test widescreen on the PS2 version with PCSX2, but this is not affected and the widescreen option works perfectly. Unfortunately though, the PS2 version has its own issues, it runs at 30 FPS (despite 100% emulation speed), even if 60Hz option is selected, and of course, no glorious HD textures. The difference is between the PS2 version and GameCube with HD textures is incredible.

EDIT: excuse my ignorance but would it be possible to grab the “frustum culling“ values from the PS2 version and somehow manipulate them into the GameCube version, which would theoretically solve this problem? Just thinking out loud...