[CANCELLED] Rayman 2 – installer for newer systems

Discuss tools to aid in the modification and running of Rayman games.

Moderators: English moderators, Modding and utilities team

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Hoodcom
Mr Dark
Location: R̸̨̧̛̝͎͔̹͉̫̞͚͎͈̫̲̘͕̞͔̼̣͍̞̤̹̫̘̼͚̤̮̟͍̺̯͍̜̹͓̤͖͎͌̀̿͗̍͌̈́̿̿͑̄̀͌̒̅͛̄̾̈͠ͅayman Pirate-Community Lodge
Tings: 453317

Re: Rayman 2 – installer for newer systems

Post by Hoodcom »

I'm quite curious as to what they did to make that work.

Considering the DRM was 16-bit, and usually 64-bit operating systems absolutely don't run 16-bit software.
Fifo
Joe
Tings: 78355

Post by Fifo »

Awesome, my installer is obsolete. >_<
Hoodcom
Mr Dark
Location: R̸̨̧̛̝͎͔̹͉̫̞͚͎͈̫̲̘͕̞͔̼̣͍̞̤̹̫̘̼͚̤̮̟͍̺̯͍̜̹͓̤͖͎͌̀̿͗̍͌̈́̿̿͑̄̀͌̒̅͛̄̾̈͠ͅayman Pirate-Community Lodge

Post by Hoodcom »

Fifo wrote:Awesome, my installer is obsolete. >_<
I wouldn't go as far to saying that, plenty of folks refuse to go to Windows 10 anyway. :lol:
RibShark
Feuillu
Tings: 1735

Post by RibShark »

Hoodcom wrote:I'm quite curious as to what they did to make that work.

Considering the DRM was 16-bit, and usually 64-bit operating systems absolutely don't run 16-bit software.
The DRM actually wasn't, as the game only used a simple CD check IIRC. The problem was with the installer, and Windows 8 and above simply detects 16-bit installers and silently replaces the exe with a 32 bit equivalent.
Hoodcom
Mr Dark

Post by Hoodcom »

RibShark wrote:
Hoodcom wrote:I'm quite curious as to what they did to make that work.

The DRM actually wasn't, as the game only used a simple CD check IIRC. The problem was with the installer, and Windows 8 and above simply detects 16-bit installers and silently replaces the exe with a 32 bit equivalent.
Ah, that clears things up then. Got to say that is a pretty good solution in the end then. :)
IIITA
Moussu
Tings: 1055

Post by IIITA »

Fifo wrote:
IIITA wrote:Hi I am not so good at the programming work, but would like to know how to use the Installshield Wrapper for installing I mean make "setup.exe on CD" work in newer systems ?
I installed this wrapper, and noticed that it is installed to C:\Windows\SysWOW64\InstallShield, now what the next step to install Rayman 2?
I can send you an updated installer that’ll work without issues on newer systems without having to mess around with the InstallShield wrapper.
Fifo, are you still in the forum ?
I need your installer now as I lost it and original CD got some "CD not found error" if I use deton24's Widescreen exe in Windows 10 Pro 64bit Redstone !
Besides Ribshark's R2_patcher.exe will mot work in W10 Redstone I found.
If you still have your new installer I would like to try in W10 Redstone and I will report you how it works.
Last edited by IIITA on Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:22 am, edited 4 times in total.
Fifo
Joe

Post by Fifo »

IIITA wrote:Fifo, are you still in the forum ?
I need your installer now as I lost it and original CD got some "CD not found error" in Windows 10 Pro 64bit Redstone !
Besides Ribshark's R2_patcher.exe will mot work in W10 Redstone I found.
If you still have your new installer I would like to try in W10 Redstone and I will report you how it works.
I’ve sent you a PM with the link.
IIITA
Moussu

Post by IIITA »

Oh thank you for your quick reply.
As I could not find PM button in your post I posted my message to the forum thread.

I found your installer size is 416Mb, looks like file extractor including whole installed files of R2 ?
That's the one I am looking for !
Yes with whole files extracted to HDD R2 must work as it did in old OS.
Thank you again . After I tested it in W10 Redstone, I will report you as soon as possible. :-)

EDIT;
OK now I completed the test run of your new installer R2.
Perfect !! The installer worked fine without any compatibility setting in W10 Redstone !
And game could start without any compatibility setting.
Windowed game screen can be fixed using Ribshark's files;
http://raymanpc.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 94#p981764

Thanks for your perfect file !
Fifo
Joe

Post by Fifo »

You’re welcome, I’m glad it works ;)
IIITA
Moussu

Post by IIITA »

IIITA wrote:OK now I completed the test run of your new installer R2.
Perfect !! The installer worked fine without any compatibility setting in W10 Redstone !
And game could start without any compatibility setting.
Windowed game screen can be fixed using Ribshark's files;
http://raymanpc.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 94#p981764

Thanks for your perfect file !
And this time, deton24's widescreen exe worked perfect after the installation with Fifo's installer !
Fifo
Joe

Post by Fifo »

IIITA wrote:And this time, deton24's widescreen exe worked perfect after the installation with Fifo's installer !
Awesome! Enjoy! :)
IIITA
Moussu

Post by IIITA »

Comparing retail Rayman2 game CD with Fifo's, I found something.

1 Original installer on the retail CD will not install 2 files, which are Vignette.cnt ( should be placed under DATA) and LEVELS0.DAT(should be placed under \DATA\World\Level).

This causes "Please insert the CD" pop-up when using GOG type No-CD exes including deton24's widescreen exe.
As far as playing with the original exe and CD in the drive that is 4:3 aspect screenplay , I had no problem . But switching to No-CD type exe say widescreen.exe, game sensed missing two files. I had to copy those to HDD manually for eliminating the nag.

2. Original exe has also "SafeDisc" DRM that check whether CD is in the drive nevertheless those 2 files exist in game installed directory.

Fifo's installer extracts No-CD Rayman2.exe capsuled in the "file extractor" that installs all files along with those 2 files, which is his sales point to those who like to play R2 with no CD in the drive.

Now we have Fifo's one, I am glad to have this.
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102745

Post by PluMGMK »

Maybe that's why the operations the game performs on LEVELS0.DAT are so convoluted: there's some kind of DRM in there.
Fifo
Joe

Post by Fifo »

I’m glad I’m starting to receive positive feedback :)
TheRayman2Fan
Électoon
Tings: 10

Post by TheRayman2Fan »

Hey Fifo ! I sent you a PM ! Read please. :D
Fifo
Joe

Post by Fifo »

TheRayman2Fan wrote:Hey Fifo ! I sent you a PM ! Read please. :D
Stop sending me those useless PMs and stop requesting payment. You don’t deserve to be rich.
TheRayman2Fan
Électoon
Tings: 10

Post by TheRayman2Fan »

Alright. You will bow before the Great Flying Poo then. :hinhinhin:
Harpic fraîcheur
Lums
Tings: 30

Post by Harpic fraîcheur »

Glory to the Great Flying Poo!
Une nouvelle vague de fraîcheur, Harpic fraîcheur verte ! :D
Image Image
Fifo
Joe

Post by Fifo »

SORRY for the bump.

Just wanted to say that I’m no longer working on my installer for a couple of reasons:
  1. The installer was made with a pirated copy of Advanced Installer
  2. The installer included all game files, taken from a pirated GOG copy of the game
Lysol
Électoon
Tings: 0

Post by Lysol »

I remember days back then when I used pirating games and computer softwares.

All those free downloads everyday, all those free games and softwares all the time! Watching YouTube videos like "How to crack Photoshop CC" and such! It was so good to have people providing me all I needed for free. Later, I discovered about torrenting. It was even better! I didn't even need to watch those stupid videos to look for my shit anymore. Though, my father has been once very curious on how did I install all of those paid softwares for free while we didn't even have Paypal years ago! He made some researches on the internet to understand what was going on and quickly understood. Tomorrow, after getting up, I was having my mug of coffee with some biscuits like every morning. He came to me with the laptop and then asked me what µTorrent was. Actually, he did knew what µtorrent was so he was definitely testing me to figure out if I'd lie to him or not but I kept trying to convince him it was a pre-installed computer software I never used so I don't get problems with him. He is very serious toward illegal activities and lies so he took me to the garage, called me a moron and beat the living shit out of me with a set of jumper cables.
Last edited by Lysol on Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.