Rayman speedrunning

Speedrunning news, techniques and events: a place for those who live fast, at least when it comes to Rayman games.

Moderators: English moderators, Speedrunning team

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
bunnieblaster
Master Kaag
Tings: 6995

Rayman speedrunning

Post by bunnieblaster »

I was surprised there wasn't a topic or anything about this already, but: let's talk about Rayman Speedruns!

Here is the official speedrun.com leaderboards for the Rayman series: Myself I've recently started breaking/routing Rayman Revolution together with FrozenFrog, and been doing speedruns recently.
Current world record I hold for Rayman Revolution is 1:43:21 using a wrong warp that warps you from the first overworld to the precipice, skipping two masks! (Explained how to do it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ctSZ5G1CFM)

We have a Rayman 2 and a Rayman 3 speedrunning skype group, PM me if you are interested in joining us on skype.
R4Y_ANC3L
Bras maléfique
Tings: 500

Re: Rayman Speedrunning

Post by R4Y_ANC3L »

There are other speedrunning tricks that I wanted to share: This strat saves you from visiting the menhir Hills twice and the cave of bad dreams. This was performed by Frozenfrog. The music in the video is from "Jericho's Law".
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102745

Post by PluMGMK »

As I said in your other topic, it's quite interesting that turning the shell around can be used to dry-run the Clark cutscene! Just to recap the other videos you posted: Looking at some of them I can't believe how broken the game can be. I'll have to break out my copy of l'Histoire de Rayman to see if it contains any excuses for that. :P
R4Y_ANC3L
Bras maléfique
Tings: 500

Post by R4Y_ANC3L »

• Skipping the whole shell riding of the the Iron Mountains
I knew about this video months ago. I decided to share this one. This strat saves about 12 seconds at the absolute max and skip the walking shell track paths and areas. Performed by the same speedrunner(Frozenfrog).This was done in Rayman revolution in the reformatory for unruly children from the The iron mountains. This is not possible in the Rayman 2 renditions because When Rayman slides down to the shell you can turn it even When there is fixed camera angle But a gate Entity actually appears so you can't Go Back to where you came from.
The Walking Shell Route Strat for The Iron Mountains
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 610019

Re: Rayman speedrunning

Post by Hunchman801 »

It's with great pleasure that I announce the launch of our brand new speedrunning section! :partyhat:

The Rayman series provides runners with a diverse set of games on which they can test their creativity in their attempts to complete them in the fastest way possible, therefore it's no surprise that the Rayman speedrunning community is thriving today, thanks to its active and talented runners but also thanks to all those who support them, whether by building tools or discovering glitches.

In order to provide the community with a great space to share runs, discuss techniques and participate in various events, we are lucky to be assisted by a team of experienced runners who will ensure that we remain on top of the speedrunning game! So far, we have been joined by kronkie10, DarnokPL, markyard44, Lucidruns, Payman, DepressingChild and ScalieDan! Their experience extends across most of the series, from Rayman 1 to Rayman Legends, and even the popular fangame Rayman Redemption. And for those who settle for nothing but perfection, we even have some serious TAS (tool-assisted speedrun) action going on! I must stress that we are still actively recruiting, so if you're an experienced runner interested in moderating this section, by all means please get in touch and let's give the speedrunning community the forum it deserves! 8)

There are things however that no human does better than computers, and that's why our faithful SpeedBot will be posting all the latest runs from speedrun.com in this section, so that you'll never miss an important breakthrough or a crucial leaderboard change!

And of course, a launch would be quite sad without a celebration, that's why we have decided to host a worldwide speedrunning competition with rare Rayman merch for prizes! Surely that's a good enough reason to fire up your games and dust off those speedrunning skills, isn't it?

In the future, we hope to provide you with many more cool events and features, so please stay tuned and let the race begin! :proud:
hoodlumsworld
Aurora
Tings: 15205

Post by hoodlumsworld »

That's a great idea, I don't do speedruns myself but I love watching some as a pastime. Mostly because of the bugs, but not only. :lol:
Steo
Globox
Tings: 91547

Post by Steo »

It's nice to see this new sub-forum. I don't speedrun myself, but they're really interesting to watch, especially since the experts often come up with new routes/glitches in order to save more time. I'd like to get into it, but it's not going to be easy for me. :lol:

Anyway, I hope to see this kick off well, and best of luck to everyone who takes part in the competition! :teuf:
FC: 40210 | CF: 103059 | BOM: 94388 | LOTLD: 120486 | DOTK: 110450 | LS: 40810 | SBTC: 99693 | HH: 100028 | TOTL: 100563

TOTAL: 809687
RaymanRedemption
Boomboleros
Tings: 2780

Post by RaymanRedemption »

I don't do speedruns myself but I really like watching at them, especially those with TAS on Rayman 1 or Redemption!
Good idea to open a sub-forum for this. :)
Terror Notes spread Chaos in Band Land!
:arrow: https://youtu.be/VLHLHlrNPpI

Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa
Tings: 122710

Post by Elite Piranha »

It's great to see the launch of a new section. The only game I would be interested to speedrun in the future is Rayman M, however I don't know what specs are required or if you need a special type of screen to do that.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Don't hesitate to ask your questions in the Rayman M/Arena/Rush speedrunning thread, I'm sure some runners will be glad to help!
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa

Post by Elite Piranha »

Hunchman801 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:39 am Don't hesitate to ask your questions in the Rayman M/Arena/Rush speedrunning thread, I'm sure some runners will be glad to help!
Btw, should I start working on a banner for the speedrunning section? (so it can be added in the home page slides).
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Yes please, that would be absolutely great. And maybe a more specific one for the contest, too? :D
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa

Post by Elite Piranha »

Hunchman801 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:07 pm Yes please, that would be absolutely great. And maybe a more specific one for the contest, too? :D
I could try to make a simple banner for the contest, however what text should appear in the image? (considering that each slider has a description at the bottom).
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

I think "SpeedRay 2021" should suffice. :)
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa

Post by Elite Piranha »

Hunchman801 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:30 am I think "SpeedRay 2021" should suffice. :)
Here is a banner for the contest, at the end I thought it was important to mention the prices that you can get in big letters (even if it can get a little bit redundant with the description at the bottom), what do you think about it?
Attachments
speedray2021-slider.jpg
speedray2021-slider.jpg (94.87 KiB) Viewed 9592 times
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Thanks Elite, looking great! I've added it to the portal. :D
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa

Post by Elite Piranha »

Hunchman801 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:41 am Thanks Elite, looking great! I've added it to the portal. :D
I just realized that I forgot to take into consideration the arrows that appear when you hover over the slider. Here is another version in case you want to replace it later.
Attachments
speedray2021-slider-v2.jpg
speedray2021-slider-v2.jpg (98.95 KiB) Viewed 9565 times
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Thanks, I hadn't even noticed. Should be good now.
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa

Post by Elite Piranha »

Hunchman801 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:19 pm Thanks, I hadn't even noticed. Should be good now.
Great, thanks for making the update.

Here is a banner for the speedrunning section.
Attachments
rayman-speedrunning-slider.jpg
rayman-speedrunning-slider.jpg (79.49 KiB) Viewed 9505 times
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Thanks, great choice of image! I'll add it when the contest is over. :)